Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford (SKT)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

kphelan wrote: »
    Collect your Jersey as early as possible on Saturday/Sunday to get the size you want!

Give us a twirl, and a snap of the back of it......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

Very keen on doing the 100km but only have a Carerra TDF because I'm starting off, would this be suitable for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Ironkiwi, you should have no problem at all on that bike. There will be people (like me) doing the 100k on far less suitable bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

ironkiwi wrote: »
    Very keen on doing the 100km but only have a Carerra TDF because I'm starting off, would this be suitable for this?

Correct pressures in the tyres you only need worry about what training you've done.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

Registered for the 100-miler the other day. I can't decide what to ride it on. I hung up my old road bike in my parents' shed when I was home in Sligo last year, after cycling it from the airport to Sligo, so I have a bike in Ireland with a compact chainset, but it's been adopted by somebody else now, and I don't want to pull the wheels out from under her. I also don't want to bring a bike home from Bavaria, SPD pedals and shoes are clobber enough. So the options are to hire a road bike (with a triple or a compact) or to do the SKT on my dad's hybrid (a Raleigh Pioneer). I'm not sure which of those to go with.

Pros and cons I've thought of so far seem to be be:

A road bike would be faster and maybe (?) safer (handlebars in groups) - easier to make the time cut for being "let" do Mahon's Falls.
    It might also be easier to get spares for if I needed anything beyond a tube or two.
    I shouldn't be trying to make the SKT extra hard for myself, I came last in my last sportive (a few years ago now) and I did that one on a road bike, so maybe it would be an idea to do this one on a road bike, too.

But...
    A road bike might also be easier to crash. The tricky descents would be easier (safer?) with straight bars. I found downhills in the Alps more painful than the climbs when I did a few on my road bike. I got a sore back and sore hands.
    The hybrid might be more robust and reliable on the terrible roads.
    It's a bike I've used before.
    It would have a triple and loads of gears.
    It would be much closer to the set-up I'll have been using in the run-up to the SKT. (I never replaced my abandoned road bike.)

So I'm tending towards the hybrid, but I think I might be a bit daft. Can anybody fix my fuzzy logic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Headdy

kphelan wrote: »
    Collect your Jersey as early as possible on Saturday/Sunday to get the size you want!

Will we have to queue for hours on the Saturday again this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

Headdy wrote: »
    Will we have to queue for hours on the Saturday again this year?

:eek: More information please! (Didn't do this one last year)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Anyone got profiles of the 100 and 160k routes?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Registered for the 100-miler the other day. I can't decide what to ride it on. I hung up my old road bike in my parents' shed when I was home in Sligo last year, after cycling it from the airport to Sligo, so I have a bike in Ireland with a compact chainset, but it's been adopted by somebody else now, and I don't want to pull the wheels out from under her. I also don't want to bring a bike home from Bavaria, SPD pedals and shoes are clobber enough. So the options are to hire a road bike (with a triple or a compact) or to do the SKT on my dad's hybrid (a Raleigh Pioneer). I'm not sure which of those to go with.

Pros and cons I've thought of so far seem to be be:

A road bike would be faster and maybe (?) safer (handlebars in groups) - easier to make the time cut for being "let" do Mahon's Falls.
    It might also be easier to get spares for if I needed anything beyond a tube or two.
    I shouldn't be trying to make the SKT extra hard for myself, I came last in my last sportive (a few years ago now) and I did that one on a road bike, so maybe it would be an idea to do this one on a road bike, too.

But...
    A road bike might also be easier to crash. The tricky descents would be easier (safer?) with straight bars. I found downhills in the Alps more painful than the climbs when I did a few on my road bike. I got a sore back and sore hands.
    The hybrid might be more robust and reliable on the terrible roads.
    It's a bike I've used before.
    It would have a triple and loads of gears.
    It would be much closer to the set-up I'll have been using in the run-up to the SKT. (I never replaced my abandoned road bike.)

So I'm tending towards the hybrid, but I think I might be a bit daft. Can anybody fix my fuzzy logic?

Con: Tour of Waterford on a hybrid = tourture.

Pro: Tour of Waterford on a Road Bike = Tourture, but at least you'll look good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Headdy

dogsears wrote: »
    :eek: More information please! (Didn't do this one last year)

I remember queuing for more than an hour and a half on the Saturday afternoon last year, I'm sure they got plenty of feedback and have made the improvements

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Is that Jersey a FULL zip??? Is there a 1/2 zip option???

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kphelan

Jersey is half zip.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kphelan

WARNING!!!

3,400 ALREADY ENTERED
    160k - ONLY 350 PLACES LEFT
    100k - ONLY 500 PLACES LEFT
    50k - ONLY 750 PLACES LEFT
    DON’T DELAY - ENTER TODAY!!!

http://www.theseankellytour.com

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭billyhead

billyhead wrote: »
    Looks like I won't be able to make this years tour so I am willing to accept €30 via paypal for my registration if someone wants to take it and I will contact the organisers to change the name over and forward on the e-mail confirmation. I paid 40 for the entry. Pm me if interested

Further to the posting I will accept 25 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

the time cut for being "let" do Mahon's Falls.
    I didn't know about that. What is the set time, please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

I'm a recreational runner, currently training for Dublin Marathon. My long run is up to 18 miles at the mo and I'll have upped that to 20 by the time the SKT rolls around. I've been on the bike as cross training for the last couple of years or so but haven't been following any kind of cycling-specific training regimen. Typically I do a 1-hour to 1 and a half hour ride whenever I can fit one in to my running programme, work etc. My longest ride has been just over two hours and just over 50k non-stop on a pretty hilly route. I have virtually no experience of riding in a group.

Obviously I know I'll be able to fairly comfortably do the 50k but I'm looking for advice on whether or not I'll be up to the 100k? As my A-goal is the marathon I'm leaning towards playing it safe with the 50k as an exercise in preparing to participate in longer sportives in 2014. Has anyone got a similar background/experience and what could I expect from making such a big step up in distance on the bike if I take on the 100k? I should have the aerobic endurance alright but what else might trip me up?

Any and all advice will be much appreciated.

RB

Red Belly wrote: »
    Obviously I know I'll be able to fairly comfortably do the 50k but I'm looking for advice on whether or not I'll be up to the 100k?

I think you could easily do the 100k without derailing your running if you see it as a learning experience and as an enjoyable day out on the bike rather than going at it hammer and tongs.

If your bike fits you, I don't really see how you could pick up any niggles or injuries on a single cycle of that length unless you crashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

Not sure what to do. Spent all year gearing up for the ROK, now that that's done I wouldn't mind doing another big event. Either this or the Rebel Tour.

What to do :confused::(

Jovetic wrote: »
    Not sure what to do. Spent all year gearing up for the ROK, now that that's done I wouldn't mind doing another big event. Either this or the Rebel Tour.

Just so you know, The impression I'm getting is that there isn't much comparison between the ROK and this particular event, despite the fact the ROK is longer.

I did the Tour de Burren, which I'm told is tougher than ROK and I'm in for this, but far from confident.

A few people have told me that this one is the daddy of them all, ie harder than Rebel Tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Do them both, the SKT is second only to the RoK in terms of numbers, a cracking day out and superbly organised.
    The rebel tour was relocated to Glengarriff last year and was rejuvenated in the process ,it takes in some spectacular scenery in west cork.
    They both offer very tough 160 Km courses and challenging 100/85 Km routes.

Could I just flag this question again, please...

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

Is the SKT much harder than the ROK? I found the ROK ok to be honest, thought I really haven't been in the saddle since then. I need a challenge to get focused again. Maybe I should aim for the Rebel tour instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Red Belly wrote: »
    I'm a recreational runner, currently training for Dublin Marathon. My long run is up to 18 miles at the mo and I'll have upped that to 20 by the time the SKT rolls around. I've been on the bike as cross training for the last couple of years or so but haven't been following any kind of cycling-specific training regimen. Typically I do a 1-hour to 1 and a half hour ride whenever I can fit one in to my running programme, work etc. My longest ride has been just over two hours and just over 50k non-stop on a pretty hilly route. I have virtually no experience of riding in a group.

Obviously I know I'll be able to fairly comfortably do the 50k but I'm looking for advice on whether or not I'll be up to the 100k? As my A-goal is the marathon I'm leaning towards playing it safe with the 50k as an exercise in preparing to participate in longer sportives in 2014. Has anyone got a similar background/experience and what could I expect from making such a big step up in distance on the bike if I take on the 100k? I should have the aerobic endurance alright but what else might trip me up?

Any and all advice will be much appreciated.

RB

My own experience and situation (training for DCM) was pretty much identical to your own when I signed up to the SKT a few years back, but I went straight for the 160! From what you said you'd be well able. It's a long day on the saddle with a few stiff climbs and drags but they're nicely spaced out and there are plenty of stops along the way. And you can take it at your own pace. But if you didn't want to chance it you should at least do the 100. If you did the 50 you'd just feel short changed and want more!

That said, be warned - I had the most random, idiotic accident in the history of all comedy bike falls around 95k in and caught my ankle in the front chain ring and had to be driven back to the start area to have my foot stitched from my ankle to the heel and was apparently very lucky not to have severed my Achilles. And obviously missed out on the marathon that year. So maybe I'm not the best person to be taking advice from!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭MrScootch

Are there gnarly climbs on the 100k too or is it a bit more gentle?
    Would it be ok for someone who's up to about 50k now?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sham2

Heading from Cork to do this for the first time. What's the parking situation like and where would be the best place? Also what would be a good time to get there for doing the 100k at 0900?

Time cut?

I think there will be a time cut, I seem to remember reading something along those lines somewhere, and it makes sense that the organizers and helpers will eventually:

a) not want to send obviously exhausted cyclists over an easily-bypassed climb with a dangerous descent

b) want to go home to their tea

But I don't have any details ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

sham2 wrote: »
    Heading from Cork to do this for the first time. What's the parking situation like and where would be the best place? Also what would be a good time to get there for doing the 100k at 0900?

If you get anywhere along the Youghal road you'll be doing alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

You have to reach Mahon bridge by 3.30 to go up Mahon falls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Laundry_Hamper

...Why not both?

If you're fit enough for one, you're fit enough for the other one as well.

Advertisement