Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford (SKT)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kphelan

SKT%20160k%20Map%202013.jpg

SKT%20100k%20Map%202013.jpg

The Tickincor climb on the 160k Kelly Comeragh Challenge Route

Check out the top of the climb on this You Tube Clip -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpSKP...feature=relmfu

The Raleigh Bike was his machine!
    http://www.turtlebunbury.com/interviews/interviews_ireland/vanishing_3/interviews_ireland_jack_londregan.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

I'm registered for the 160. Between one thing and another now, I'm only going to manage three weeks of good training before the taper week. I've only had two short spins on the bike since Burren.

Will give it a lash though. Still, wish I had more sense for my age !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

kphelan wrote: »
    The Tickincor climb on the 160k Kelly Comeragh Challenge Route

Check out the top of the climb on this You Tube Clip -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpSKP...feature=relmfu

The Raleigh Bike was his machine!
    http://www.turtlebunbury.com/interviews/interviews_ireland/vanishing_3/interviews_ireland_jack_londregan.html

looks like the ride comes at it from the other side though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

I'm registered for the 160. Between one thing and another now, I'm only going to manage three weeks of good training before the taper week. I've only had two short spins on the bike since Burren.

Will give it a lash though. Still, wish I had more sense for my age !

'Taper week'???

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

Have signed up for this too, will be my second An Post cycle after the Burren a few weeks ago. This one looks a lot tougher though

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Going to give this a lash all going well. How would it compare to the Ring of Kerry? I'd imagine the climbing is a lot harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

detones wrote: »
    Going to give this a lash all going well. How would it compare to the Ring of Kerry? I'd imagine the climbing is a lot harder.

Ticincor is tough. 2 miles @9% average. First half mile very steep.
    Nire and Mauma climbs are fine but Mahon falls is long and tough.
    Last 3 climbs are within 50km of each other and in second half of the route.

Mauma which is easiest is similar to Molls Gap.

Take your time and you'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

ford2600 wrote: »
    Ticincor is tough. 2 miles @9%

Ouch! I'm out ;-)

Yeah heard Waterford is the toughest of the An Post ones. Just will take my time and make sure to bring the granny (gear) along.

• Advertisement

ashleey wrote: »
    'Taper week'???

The week before the event.

bellinter wrote: »
    Have signed up for this too, will be my second An Post cycle after the Burren a few weeks ago. This one looks a lot tougher though

Same here. I used up a lot of goodwill at home with all the training I did for the Burren so I have done no training to speak of since then. Nor does it look like I will be able to do much from here on.

Hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew :D

ford2600 wrote: »
    Ticincor is tough. 2 miles @9% average. First half mile very steep.
    Nire and Mauma climbs are fine but Mahon falls is long and tough.
    Last 3 climbs are within 50km of each other and in second half of the route.

Mauma which is easiest is similar to Molls Gap.

Take your time and you'll be fine

Is the famous Seskin Hill not in the mix ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

detones wrote: »

Made the mistake of under estimating this last year. ROK good preperation but you want to start focusing on hills. Long drags in Sean Kelly but plenty of flat too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Anyone a snap of this years jersey?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭get on your bike

I'm in also. Looking forward to it although looks tough enough. I'm itching to get on rothar tomorrow for a nice long ride. Nothing like a nice ride

I'm in also. Looking forward to it although looks tough enough. I'm itching to get on rothar tomorrow for a nice long ride. Nothing like a nice ride

As long as you get the itch before it, but not after it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

Is the famous Seskin Hill not in the mix ?

yes Seskin is out. I think it is very healthy to vary the route, over the years.

Tickencor, I think first appeared recently in the Bobby Power Carrick Sportive. But I think was used years ago in Nissan Classics and the RAS I think. Open to correction there.

One of the Local Clonmel O Gorman brothers has a record for ascending all the way to the TV mast. Something like 20 minutes.

The top of the tickencor climb is called Harneys Cross and the Descent back to Clonmel via the mountain road, is lively, to say the least.

Look back as you ascend Tickencor, for a spectacular view over the Suir Valley and Slievenamon.

Delighted Tickencor is in. You will all love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

michael196 wrote: »
    yes Seskin is out. I think it is very healthy to vary the route, over the years.

Tickencor, I think first appeared recently in the Bobby Power Carrick Sportive. But I think was used years ago in Nissan Classics and the RAS I think. Open to correction there.

One of the Local Clonmel O Gorman brothers has a record for ascending all the way to the TV mast. Something like 20 minutes.

The top of the tickencor climb is called Harneys Cross and the Descent back to Clonmel via the mountain road, is lively, to say the least.

Look back as you ascend Tickencor, for a spectacular view over the Suir Valley and Slievenamon.

Delighted Tickencor is in. You will all love it.

"Look AT YOUR STEM AND CRY as you ascend Tickencor, THEN TRY NOT TO BE SICK for a spectacular view over the Suir Valley and Slievenamon."

Went up this 'hill' recently and yes the views are great if you can manage to look around!

I'll be looking for a tow again Michael if you're doing it!

yep I am doing it and looking forward.

Just don't stall and keel over on Tickencor !!!

Just joking........

I find the lemy brien road out of the rathgormack junction , the section 105 km to 125km on the first maps, the toughest, but have usually recovered for the mama road section.

also will register for the rebel tour. U2 again at the start ? and Rozanna ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

michael196 wrote: »
    yep I am doing it and looking forward.

Just don't stall and keel over on Tickencor !!!

Just joking........

I find the lemy brien road out of the rathgormack junction , the section 105 km to 125km on the first maps, the toughest, but have usually recovered for the mama road section.

also will register for the rebel tour. U2 again at the start ? and Rozanna ?

Barry Meehan has done it to cattle grid 1km past mast in 18:23. Ive managed 21 something and near cardiac arrest!
    While your on, how does Iveragh 200 compare to Bobby Power sportive?

I signed up to do the Iveragh this year, but might have to cancel out.

Tis on next Saturday.

I did the iveragh 200 , 2 years ago. Dying to go back ever since.

1 km into the iveragh the last time and we nearly went home, wet sleaty rain, cutting across your face. Horendous weather.

Small attendance < 100, so no where to hide as such. Was not a mass start either , so again tough going form the start.

Journey over to Killarney, just hard. Black ( dark ? ) Vally, out of Killarney, just tough, Some hard climb into Sneem, Back up coum a ciste , the opposite direction that the ROK, goes down, boardsie Phil Flaherty, putting it up to us, Never forget what looked like sea spray coming off the top of Coumaciste. Bike stalling on the climb with the wind and rain.

Honestly horrendous.

back to Waterville, drenched , at 160 ( Waterville) just wanted to give up, but boardsie Phil on here from Swords, talked us into it, and we went on to do the 200, on a loop out to valentia island.

Needed a change of gear after the 160 as was shivering heading out to do the 40 out to valentia. Luckily had spare gear in the car.

We lost one companion heading out to Valentia, we were three for the whole sportive.

the food at the 160 gave me enough to go on, for the final 40, with a gear change also. Would have died had it not been for the gear change.

None of us knew about coumanaspic. but organiser Eoin Ryan warned us, it was a wall.

Out to the town before the bridge over to valentia, looking for a hill, no clear idea. Valentia was beautiful, hills were ok.

coming back, spotted a tv mast in the distance, and where there is a tv mast, there is a road, . the approach to coumanaspic you can see the wall for about 2 k.

to put in perspective, u just get off valentia ( at sea level and climb ) hits double digit gradient at 1 K, then hits 24% and drops back a little until u hit the top at about 300 meters over 2 km.

Segment coumanaspic

http://app.strava.com/segments/3639277

tickencor:

in comparison: Tickencor is 3 K at 8% up to 300 meters

http://app.strava.com/segments/656146

only phil stayed on the bike up coumanaspic. Eoin told us that people return to the sportive , in order to conquer coumanaspic.

its is a 1.5 K wall.

I did the first 2 bobby powers in bad weather, ( but the Kerry weather was sleety cold and cutting).

Its a hard call, as I know a lot of the bobby power route and have gone over it over the years.I am less familiar with the Iveragh, and u don't know where u are for a lot of the iveragh. the small attendance on iveragh, makes it tough as no groups form or stay together. No shelter , up in those mountains.

Bobby power does not present such a wall at any stage, and coumanspic at 180 K is such a massive challenge. I remember the legs and body just dying in the last 10 K back to Waterville.

Leaning a little towards the iveragh as the toughest on the basis of not being as familiar with the roads as much as I would know the comeraghs.

But the Bobby power has a hard start with all those short killer hills.

they are equally matched. but the iveragh is a very tough challenge/ route/ terrain. throw in bad weather as we had, makes it hard.

Eoins challenge is to come back and beat coumanaspic . Waterville is so far down the peninsula also.

But I do look forward to getting back to the iveragh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭billyhead

Looks like I won't be able to make this years tour so I am willing to accept €30 via paypal for my registration if someone wants to take it and I will contact the organisers to change the name over and forward on the e-mail confirmation. I paid 40 for the entry. Pm me if interested

1074653_577980082245435_1279942584_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

never mind!!!

Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

OP please stop starting new threads on the topic

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Jerseys: what is the design this year ?
    and............will I get my size this year ? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Collect your Jersey as early as possible on Saturday/Sunday to get the size you want!

Advertisement