Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Assetto corsa

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Dcully, I have the full Fanatec Clubsport setup, I noticed that you must go to OPTIONS - CONTROLS - on the top right click SHIFTERS, and make you tick the box marked "use separate shifter". its not logical because our shifters are the same make as the wheel, but when I disable this option my H shifter stops working! Best of Luck, hope it works out for you! :)

Thanks mate but ive tried that too,ill check it out tomorrow when the update drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I like the new AI, I think they put up a good battle. Some people are complaining about the mayhem that happens at the first corner but I don't think real people would be much better at avoiding those collisions. Once the pack spreads out a bit they put on a good show if maybe a bit predictable at times. But, for a first outing their mightely impressive. They give space and make mistakes under pressure and get very vindictive when you overtake them (although that last bit is probably a flaw).

The only problem can be that once you overtake them and have them bet they seem to give up. I don't know if it's just a feature of the game but the AI seems to be a bit mundane until you get close to them, then they can freak out a bit.

Totally agree the AI are shaping up to be pretty special.
    The physics are to die for,at last a sim with physics to rival iracing but not subscription based.
    GSC 2013 is also fantastic but for me AC is shaping up to be a mighty impressive sim.

The SRT guys are certainly enjoying it.

I've been a bit disappointed with inside sim racing coverage to date, well to be exact their lack of coverage. I know they traditionally don't like to go to into detail until a sim is finished and they've had time to play it properly which I respect, but I would like to hear more of their opinion as it's developing. They seem to be pretty focused on the Forza and GT on the new consoles, I guess it's just I have no interest in the console games.

Some of the races can be hilarious though. I did a custom race with a load of fiats, some BMWs and some supercars and it just made for mayhem. the fiats are fast enough through the corners at that track to upset everything and god knows what you'll find around each corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭_HULK_SMASH!

Another small update released this morning. Kunos tweeted this earlier:
    "we're going to push an update this morning with more slipstream, no penalities, better ai behaviour after a contact and other small fixes."

Have to say the AI is quite good, ran a race this morning, as long as you are patient on the first lap you can pass later. I wonder if the way the AI is so superb later in the race is making them so bad at the start?

Later in the race they defend their lines quite well, so much so that I am making some of my passes on the brakes by sending them a dummy down the inside and then passing them on the outside. When you are heading into the first corner in a bunch on the first lap they are swerving all over the place to defend positions and they look psychotic..

I ran the race that Darin did in the video above and was in second or third place on the last lap (didnt know you could turn on a position indicator) and heading ito the last corner yer man behind gives me a love tap that sends me sideways! I was spitting nails! (in a good way) :)

When a game makes you shout out "whoa" and "heheeee" while racing you know its a good product.

• Advertisement

Another small update released this morning. Kunos tweeted this earlier:
    It's actually the 3rd update since Friday, we're on 5.3. I really wasn't expecting it. It's great that they fixed the major problems so quickly. I was only on the official forum the other day asking if they could increase replay lengths and they've bumped it up to 500mb in this last update.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Darwin

The E30 race around Mugello is a blast, still trying to put a clean lap in! It takes some practice to stop downshifting too early (and then dealing with the back end stepping out) and braking hard in anything other than a straight line can be tricky in parts. Delighted the devs sorted the 5 sec penalty for going off track.

Darwin wrote: »
    Delighted the devs sorted the 5 sec penalty for going off track.
    Yeah, that was completely unfair.

Cant say i've noticed any control issues.

Only issue i have is i cant get the G25 h shifter working, no input lag at all.

• Advertisement

Have you checked/unchecked the controller presets? When I bought the game I mapped the controls, everything worked. Last month I noticed the presets on the left on the screen, when I selected it, my wheel wasnt working, remapped and all was good. just something to try.

Have you checked/unchecked the controller presets? When I bought the game I mapped the controls, everything worked. Last month I noticed the presets on the left on the screen, when I selected it, my wheel wasnt working, remapped and all was good. just something to try.

Yeah tried everything.

Dcully wrote: »
    Yeah tried everything.[/Q

Only thing I can think of then is that its Car Specific, If the car is modern and has paddle shifters like the M3 then they must be used on the wheel, if its like the Group A E30 then H- shifter can be used...

After that im out of ideas...:(

Yeah tried everything.[/Q

Only thing I can think of then is that its Car Specific, If the car is modern and has paddle shifters like the M3 then they must be used on the wheel, if its like the Group A E30 then H- shifter can be used...

After that im out of ideas...:(

Tried that too, must be an issue with my setup.

I had a few frame rate issues and stuttering yesterday during the tatus and supercar race. Oddly it was coming towards the end of the race when there wasn't much happening on the screen in front of me.

I'm not sure if it may have something to do with the new 500mb limit on replays. Will require more testing.

New update today, highlight for me is AI for all cars on all tracks and multiclass racing.

0.6 notes from Kunos..
    So, it's that day of the month again and a new update is ready.

Let's have a look at todays "particular" update.
    As you might have guessed, we won't release any new cars or tracks today. We understand that this might be a bit of a let down for some of you, but then again we have already released 35 cars and their upgrades and 12 tracks... considering AC's physics engine depth, I'm sure there's more to explore than simply jumping from one car to the other.
    So what's in this new update? Lot's of core work to make AC better, some of it very evident, some of it under the surface but very important.

First of all we are enabling AI Quick Races for all cars, all tracks. You can select whatever car you like, whatever track you like and whatever number of opponents (up to the track limits). Most importantly you can select different opponents to race against. Multi-class, multi-era, multi-performances, multi-whatever.. err...no scratch that, multiplayer is not ready yet (we're working on it, you know we do!).

So this is very important, we worked very hard to enable all cars and all tracks to enable the AI. Tons of data to process, but we didn't just stopped there. We have laid out the ground to build a better AI that understands better the intentions of the player. On some cars you might see a better behaviour, on some others more or less the same, but the work is there and slowly we will update all of them. Your feedback is valuable and that's what early access is all about, so thank you in advance!

What's next? Collisions. You can lean on your opponents now, bump door against door, push and get pushed and the experience should be far better. Most importantly no more landmines and you can go over high kerbs with far more realistic behaviour. That also permits us to make the terrain collisions more accurate and this means more setup work for you, as you might need to make the setup stiffer, user bumpstops, or raise the car height to make sure the car is not bottoming out. If you hear strange scraping noises and experience unexpected spins on fast turns, it might mean that your old setup was way too low... AC is getting more mature and this means that it requests from you the drivers, more skills and more setup work. We are sure you're going to have fun limiting bottoming, without affecting car balance

Sound engine. We have worked on the sound engine to improve the sound of the opponents cars in AI races as well as taking advantage of 5.1 systems. It's been quite an extensive work, way too long to describe, but let us know what you think and if you find any bugs.

As usual lot's of little fixes, bug hunting and optimisations as usual, but also new much requested features like steering wheel hiding, look behind, smoke rendering on mirrors with on/off option, penalties system selectable from UI and more. We are listening the community and working out all the small little details, one by one.

Last but not least, a very important and very complicated theme module management for the UI. What does that means? Modders can now write their plugins and connect them inside the User Interface (like the amazing "Rivali" suite). Theme modules are then saved inside the username/documents/assetto corsa folder. This is very important, as we can update the user interface everytime we think necessary and users will not lose their installed mods and UI modifications (if made following our guidelines). Also, users can now select which UI mods can enable from Options/General menu. There is also an example with documentation for modders. This is far more important than it might seem, and opens the door to modders to create amazing applications that work seamlessly inside Assetto Corsa User Interface.

Hope you have fun with this new update, looking forward to hear your feedback.

The Assetto Corsa development team

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Squidwert

Nice one looks like a good update

It looks like we're getting the MaClaren MP4-12C GT3, we finally have two cars that can properly race each other.

Nurburgring GP tomorrow along with the Lotus T125 formula car.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/lotus-t125-part-2-series-17-episode-5

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭robk24

Assetto corsa is 33% off this weekend, €23 can't go wrong for such a quality game even in a beta stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So I got my G27 last week and I bought Assetto Corsa too. So far I am really loving it. I always loved Driving sim games, but I liked more of a car ladder progression and buying cars/upgrading them etc. ( Usual forza and GT stuff ). This game makes me just want to go on a track and see how fast I can get. I started remembering on what gears I tackle each corner, which I necer did with auto box on console games + controller. :pac:

So I love this Sim, but a few things really annoy me, or I just not used to actual proper sim games + g27.

1. AI are assholes :mad: I love that they are not perfect drivers like in GT series, but they are just damn assholes! I played the BMW challange for like 100 times, but I am yet to even finish it as AI just freaking stomps me in to ditch! I am not even talking about first Corner. If I manage not to do a 360 on it, I call it a great start, the rest is the details! :pac:
    2. 5 second penalty for going off track... I am alreadt screwed and did a boo boo, so you will stomp on me even more. Cheers!
    3. Is it me, on in this sim, in good few times you are being taken away the controls? Its just feels like I am not in control of a car at all and games just decided what my wheel should do?

Now I am completely new to Proper steering wheel and Sim racers like this. Its very hard for me to get use to it, but I am getting there.
    On AC I play with all assists off, but I got 50% stability control on and ABS. Do I better turn on some of assists? I dont really want to play with "auto mode iphone" style too though.

*I still cant beat BMW challange on Easy. :o

1. AI are assholes :mad: I love that they are not perfect drivers like in GT series, but they are just damn assholes! I played the BMW challange for like 100 times, but I am yet to even finish it as AI just freaking stomps me in to ditch! I am not even talking about first Corner. If I manage not to do a 360 on it, I call it a great start, the rest is the details! :pac:
    The AI are assholes, but think of them as baby assholes. They're still in their infancy and will improve as the game develops. They're fine at racing cars that are behind them, they seem to leave room. But they seem to hate any car that's in front of them and will literally drive through you. I haven't had too many problems with the BMW race it's the Tatus race that drove me absolutely nuts.

2. 5 second penalty for going off track... I am alreadt screwed and did a boo boo, so you will stomp on me even more. Cheers!
    The penalty system can be turned off, it's there for hotlap times really. If you want to start getting on the likes of RSR leaderboards the penalties stop people cutting the track and cheating. If you're not looking to compare your times on a leaderboard just turn off the penalties (in the same place you set the time of day and ghost car).

3. Is it me, on in this sim, in good few times you are being taken away the controls? Its just feels like I am not in control of a car at all and games just decided what my wheel should do?
    When you're car loses traction the wheel should go light and start to turn back towards the slide, maybe you haven't traction control fully off? I leave everything off.

If you haven't already watch Skip Barbers School of racing. It covers everything you need to know. There are important things like lift oversteer that can really help with your cornering that if you don't know about is probably spinning you out.

Then just practice, practice, practice. There are weekly challenges on the official Assetto Corsa forum, the guys that can put in alien lap times often put their setup and a video of their lap up so you can see how it should be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I guess, I will just completely turn off stability yoke and play it as raw as possible ( might leave ABS, sorry, I am pussy! :p ).

Will have to watch that video later. I need all the help I can get.

Might poke in to iRacing later on, when I figure out their pricing plan....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭M00lers

Wouldn't blame for using ABS with G27 pedals. Super sensitive.

I guess, I will just completely turn off stability yoke and play it as raw as possible ( might leave ABS, sorry, I am pussy! :p ).
    I think ABS is on by default in a lot of the road cars even though it's not shown as on.

There's an ongoing debate on many forums on which is better/worse. Most seem to think it all evens out to the point you won't save or lose massive amounts of time no matter which way you go. I think technically you can brake a bit better without ABS once you've learned the skill (they talk about braking and trail braking in the video) but it's pretty marginal by all accounts.

Niki Lauda's Ferrari 312T coming this Fridays along with another Lotus.

assetto_corsa-1.jpg

assetto_corsa-4.jpg

assetto_corsa-2.jpg

Looking forward to this one.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Niki Lauda's Ferrari 312T coming this Fridays along with another Lotus.

assetto_corsa-1.jpg

assetto_corsa-4.jpg

assetto_corsa-2.jpg

Looking forward to this one.

Yeah! me too! Just popped in to let everyone know and see that Scumlord already had :)

I love this car in the 1979 mod for Rfactor so have real high hopes for this one.

I really wish I had more time for Sim racing... All the great hardware and software these days and im fully familied up with a crazy busy job...

ah well. :)

All aids of in a sim, its the golden rule.
    Otherwise your simply not playing it as intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭M00lers

I kinda agree but jesus those logitech pedals are rough. Glad I have my CSPs, load cell makes it easier.

• Advertisement

I keep meaning to try the TC in AC though. With cars like the McLaren the traction control is a more integral part of the cars make up. I remember trying it once and some settings still allow a certain amount of slip.

Advertisement