Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Festus

Plus she doesn't say anything at all about the rape question. Pro-lifers have historically dismissed opinion poll findings that a majority favours abortion in certain circumstances by claiming that what they favour is not really abortion but that won't wash in the case of rape/incest...

the question is a muddle of the two issues in one question with the latter part existing only in fiction hence the uncertainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Festus wrote: »
    Do you know any doctor who can predict when a child with a birth defect or malformation will die and can say with certainty that the child will die before birth?

So, this is just a quibble over semantics?

Look up anencephaly when you're certain there's nothing left in your stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

yes. I believe call themselves "pro-choice"

Is that a joke?

You were saying that no doctor can predict whether or when a fetus with a fatal abnormality will die in the womb, but they can predict that it will die when it has no life support system.

Whether it would last a day or a month or a year with that terminal condition, do you not think it's quality of life (or lack of it) combined with the parent's quality of life has to be a judgement call for the parents and not the state?

Well it's great to establish the level of discussion at an early stage.

did you choose to be born?

I guess not so how would you feel if the people who made the choice for you chose differently?

I guess not so how would you feel if the people who made the choice for you chose differently?

Another riddle. This is fascinating stuff, really.

You wouldn't feel anything, would you? You'd be dead and not know anything about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,259 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

what-does-it-mean.png
    the question is a muddle of the two issues in one question with the latter part existing only in fiction hence the uncertainty.

• Moderators Posts: 51,753 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

How would you feel if your parents used a condom?
    How would you feel if your parents just snuggled that night?

:rolleyes:

If you can read this, you're too close!

So, this is just a quibble over semantics?

Look up anencephaly when you're certain there's nothing left in your stomach.

I known what it is.

read this

http://www.lifenews.com/2014/10/09/couple-welcomes-anencephalic-baby-they-created-bucket-list-for-then-say-goodbye/

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'd completely understand someone in the situation my mother was in when I was born in the mid-80s (21, working part-time, unmarried, living with parents) making a different choice to what she did tbh.

I didn't choose to be born, but at least my mother wasn't forced to give birth to me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Mod:
    Great question. Do you know anyone who would choose to be born without a brain?
    yes. I believe call themselves "pro-choice"
    No need for that kind of comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Approx 250 million sperm released during sex, its pure chance any of us are here. I our parents had sex an hour earlier, in a different position would any of us had been born. Such a bizarre question....

I known what it is.

read this

Read it. That's what having an anencephalic baby meant to those parents. Great. That was their choice. Do you think all parents in a similar position should do this? What about the ones whose grief would be such that they couldn't bear to see their baby born with such a disability?

Would you prefer that they were forced to give birth and watch their child die within four hours, or would you prefer that they were able to have a choice about that?

Shrap wrote: »
    Read it. That's what having an anencephalic baby meant to those parents. Great. That was their choice. Do you think all parents in a similar position should do this? What about the ones whose grief would be such that they couldn't bear to see their baby born with such a disability?

Would you prefer that they were forced to give birth and watch their child die within four hours, or would you prefer that they were able to have a choice about that?

what right do we have to choose who should live and who should die ?

It seems preferable than turning maternity wards into less-rapey Fritzlkellers.

Why not? We do it all the time to people on life support, we don't keep brain dead people alive, why is that okay then?

It seems preferable than turning maternity wards into less-rapey Fritzlkellers.

I take it you mean that it is acceptable to kill some people, especially children.

The child died shortly after birth. It just re-affirms the suggestion that it is pretty much certain that a child born with that condition won't last long outside the womb.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I don't think I can take another round of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

In the case of anencephaly, nature has pretty much made that decision. Very straightforward.

Also in the straightforward category: No one should ever be forced to give birth, no matter what the circumstances.

• Advertisement

A "person" without anything resembling a functioning brain? Yes, and quite frankly I hope you don't have any daughters.

In the case of anencephaly, nature has pretty much made that decision. Very straightforward.

Don't you mean God? ;)

eviltwin wrote: »
    Why not? We do it all the time to people on life support, we don't keep brain dead people alive, why is that okay then?

actually, we do frequently keep people diagnosed with brain death alive.

and in some cases the diagnosis was wrong.

SW wrote: »
    The child died shortly after birth. It just re-affirms the suggestion that it is pretty much certain that a child born with that condition won't last long outside the womb.

what merit is there to killing the child before it is born?

That didn't answer my question. The baby is going to die anyway, so would you prefer that the parents had a choice when, or prefer that they had potential months of emotional and physical agony (both pre-birth, during the birth process, and watching their child die) in order that they couldn't take that decision?

As for your question - first world luxury that it is - have you ever asked a soldier the same question? Answers like "duty to country" and "if it's not their life, it's mine" come up. People ask questions of themselves as to whether they have the right, and as it turns out, the vast majority of European society agrees that a woman has the right to decide to abort a fetus before a given point if she feels her life would be disastrously impacted by continuing a pregnancy.

And? Does belief in God come into this for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Isn't it up to the pregnant woman, her partner if present, and her medical team to decide on the merits of continuing an anencephalic pregnancy?

In "some cases", yes. But how much of a proportion of brain deaths do they make up? 1%? 2%? 5%? If recovery was any less than 40% likely, I'd want someone to pull the plug on me within a few weeks at the most.

actually, we do frequently keep people diagnosed with brain death alive.

and in some cases the diagnosis was wrong.

But as a family you are gently encouraged to do so, there is no logical reason for keeping someone artificially alive if they haven't the brain function to survive on their own. Would you consider that to be killing the person? You can't kill someone who is already dead. A baby with a fatal condition is no different.

Eh the dignity and metal health of the mother and father?

• Advertisement

not forcing a woman to carry a brainless body to term, just to watch it die.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement