Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dancing on Ice 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

So Nicky will indeed fill in for Robin this week and next, while Karen will take over as head judge (much to Jason's disappointment, apparently).

And don't forget, Gareth's the last remaining non-champion - and if he goes tonight, it will guarantee that the Ultimate Champion will be a former winner before any of the six are eliminated.

But of course, we all know which one the producers and judges want... ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,982 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Watching the ice dancing at the Olympics at the moment - I've a feeling DOI will seem a tad tame after them :D:D:D

Not like you to not post on this thread during or immediately after the most recent episode, Heidi... :o :eek: :D:)

For the record, it was billed as "80s Week" - although all the songs on it came from 1984, funnily enough. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And to the surprise of absolutely nobody, Gareth was the one to go. The producers had made doubly sure of this by making him wear an awful blond wig... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

There wasn't the tiniest bit of surprise either when Ray once again received the highest score - although Nicky had the good sense not to give him a 10. :D

Next week will see all six former champions take part in the Team Challenge. No prizes for guessing how well Ray's team will do...

He's now 1/6 with all four of the bookmakers I've regularly mentioned - and I can only see those odds getting shorter still.

Hayley is around 6/1, and Suzanne around 8/1. And, naturally, the other three are now very much outsiders - Beth is around 20/1, Kyran around 40/1 and Sam, who has survived three skate-offs, as long as 100/1.

I was so underwhelmed by it all, I forgot :D

Despite the obvious favouritism being shown to Ray, I still think he's head and shoulders above the others and would need to break a leg (or a judge) in order not to run away with the thing.

I thought they gave Suzanne an appalling song to dance to - how on earth she was meant to show off her skating skills with that routine was beyond me.

Sam - meh. But Vicky is my favourite pro, I just love watching her, so I hope he stays another while.

Can't actually remember the other routines, which shows how riveting they were!

I'll be away for this week's show, but "record" has been set and I'll be catching up with y'all next weekend :D

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I thought they gave Suzanne an appalling song to dance to - how on earth she was meant to show off her skating skills with that routine was beyond me.

Because the producers see Suzanne as Ray's strongest rival and thus want to limit her chances of winning... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;);)

And you weren't the only person not to be impressed by these "80s" routines, Heidi - in fact, you're in extremely good company:
    Earlier, the second outing for the latest run of Top Gear pulled in 5.5 million viewers between 8pm and 9pm on BBC2, up on the 5.3 million who saw last week's series opener.

The Jeremy Clarkson show once again beat ITV's Dancing on Ice Skate Off, watched by 4.1 million viewers (14.6%) between 8.30pm and 9pm, following the main Dancing on Ice show which drew 5.4 million (22.8%) between 6.15pm and 7.45pm.

BBC1's Call The Midwife predictably won the slot with 8.9 million (32.3%).

It's far from the first time that many viewers have found Clarky, Hamster and May, and a group of midwives and nuns in London's East End in the '50s, considerably more entertaining - but it seems that the gap was widened further as a result of these uninspired routines and naff costumes.

And, of course, Gareth's elimination being no less predictable than the Earth revolving around the sun.

I'll post some official figures from BARB in a few weeks' time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭bopper

And to the surprise of absolutely nobody, Gareth was the one to go. The producers had made doubly sure of this by making him wear an awful blond wig... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

There wasn't the tiniest bit of surprise either when Ray once again received the highest score - although Nicky had the good sense not to give him a 10. :D

Next week will see all six former champions take part in the Team Challenge. No prizes for guessing how well Ray's team will do...

I've never watched this show religiously and only catch the odd clip here and there, but you seem to be really convinced of some kind of interference from production going on.

Anyone I know who watches it said Gareth was by far the worst and deserved to go, and that Ray is without doubt the best skater overall. So could it not just be that Gareth left because he was the worst and Ray got the highest scores because he's the best?

bopper wrote: »
    I've never watched this show religiously and only catch the odd clip here and there, but you seem to be really convinced of some kind of interference from production going on.

Anyone I know who watches it said Gareth was by far the worst and deserved to go, and that Ray is without doubt the best skater overall. So could it not just be that Gareth left because he was the worst and Ray got the highest scores because he's the best?
    Have to say I coudn't disagree with this.

I don't really subscribe to the conspiracy theories going around either - Ray is head, shoulders and skates above everyone else.

(and he's not necessarily my favourite celeb, so not favouritism on my part saying that)

But guys, you should know how reality and talent shows work by now...

More often than not the producers and judges decide who they want to progress and who they don't, all to generate as much "entertainment" and as many viewers as possible.

Hence they do what they can to get the result they want - sometimes going about this subtly, more often blatantly.

Sam Bailey's X Factor win, for instance, was at least partly down to her almost always getting songs that suited her perfectly, while the other contestants weren't treated quite so well. It certainly wasn't purely because she was by far and away the best singer in the series - indeed, would she have won at all if she had chosen her own songs?

Likewise, Jim Davidson's CBB victory was at least partly down to him receiving a fair bit more airtime than the other housemates on many episodes. If they had all been given the same amount of airtime, would he have won so easily?

Here, Gareth may well have been eliminated anyway, but I'm fairly sure that ridiculous blond wig wasn't his idea. And Ray may well be the best skater, but does that mean he deserves to score 40 every week?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

I personally think Ray is by far the best skater. If he wins it will be because he deserves it.
    Also the viewing figures for Top Gear vs the skate off could be skewed by ITV+1 viewers. In my own house I watched Dancing on Ice, then the whole family watched Top Gear and then I watched the skate off on +1.
    I hate all these conspiracy theories about tv programmes. Watch it or don't, but it's just entertainment.

But guys, you should know how reality and talent shows work by now...

More often than not the producers and judges decide who they want to progress and who they don't, all to generate as much "entertainment" and as many viewers as possible.

Hence they do what they can to get the result they want - sometimes going about this subtly, more often blatantly.

Sam Bailey's X Factor win, for instance, was at least partly down to her almost always getting songs that suited her perfectly, while the other contestants weren't treated quite so well. It certainly wasn't purely because she was by far and away the best singer in the series - indeed, would she have won at all if she had chosen her own songs?

Likewise, Jim Davidson's CBB victory was at least partly down to him receiving a fair bit more airtime than the other housemates on many episodes. If they had all been given the same amount of airtime, would he have won so easily?

Here, Gareth may well have been eliminated anyway, but I'm fairly sure that ridiculous blond wig wasn't his idea. And Ray may well be the best skater, but does that mean he deserves to score 40 every week?

I definitely disagree with the point about Sam. She clearly did win purely because she was the best singer, albeit in a year when the talent was particularly poor overall. The songs she was given were week upon week crap and predictable. If anything the songs would have hindered her chances instead of helping her, and most weeks the other contestants were singing much better songs than her, but it was her voice that trumped all the other performances.

I'm sure the wig wasn't Gareth's idea, but I really don't think the wig had any influence whatsoever on the judges scores or the public votes. I don't think the wardrobe department thought "let's put Gareth in a stupid wig so people don't vote for them". Wasn't it an 80s theme or something? The pictures I've seen look as if everyone was wearing ridiculous wigs. I highly doubt that if Gareth and Ray swapped outfits that it would have effected Saturday night's scores in any way. Especially as Ray was wearing a string vest, mullet and leather pants! Ray hasn't been getting 40 every week has he?? But yes, if he is the best skater (and from what I'm told he is without question) then he should be getting the highest score.

• Advertisement

I definitely disagree with the point about Sam. She clearly did win purely because she was the best singer, albeit in a year when the talent was particularly poor overall. The songs she was given were week upon week crap and predictable. If anything the songs would have hindered her chances instead of helping her, and most weeks the other contestants were singing much better songs than her, but it was her voice that trumped all the other performances.

I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree here, then. :o:o:)

I'm sure the wig wasn't Gareth's idea, but I really don't think the wig had any influence whatsoever on the judges scores or the public votes. I don't think the wardrobe department thought "let's put Gareth in a stupid wig so people don't vote for them". Wasn't it an 80s theme or something? The pictures I've seen look as if everyone was wearing ridiculous wigs. I highly doubt that if Gareth and Ray swapped outfits that it would have effected Saturday night's scores in any way. Especially as Ray was wearing a string vest, mullet and leather pants!

As I said, it was billed as "80s Week", although all the songs came from 1984 (Bolero year, of course).

And IMO, Gareth's wig just happened to be that bit more ridiculous than any of the others.

Ray hasn't been getting 40 every week has he?? But yes, if he is the best skater (and from what I'm told he is without question) then he should be getting the highest score.

He got 40 the week before, and would have got 40 again here but for Nicky.

And it all feels, to me anyway, just a tad bit exaggerated.

And if he messes up spectacularly (no matter how unlikely this is), does he deserve the highest score then?

And IMO, Gareth's wig just happened to be that bit more ridiculous than any of the others.

He got 40 the week before, and would have got 40 again here but for Nicky.

And it all feels, to me anyway, just a tad bit exaggerated.

And if he messes up spectacularly (no matter how unlikely this is), does he deserve the highest score then?

Regardless of whether the wig was more or less ridiculous than others I still fail to see it as a convincing attempt from the producers to sabotage Gareth's vote. Wig or no wig he still would have polled the lowest overall score.

So Ray has only gotten 40 once then. Obviously if he messed up spectacularly then he wouldn't deserve the highest score, that goes without saying, and I wouldn't expect him to be awarded the highest score if he did. He hasn't messed up though, he's been the best every week so obviously he's getting the best marks every week.

So has any lingering interest in this series evaporated now?

If indeed it has, then I can't say I'm surprised after last week's result...

I'm sorry, guys, but I simply can't help playing the role of the grumpy old conspiracy theorist again. So if you don't want to read the next few paragraphs, scroll down to the end of this post now... :o:o:D:)

First of all, not only did the producers show a lack of imagination (again) in making the Team Challenge boys versus girls, but in doing so they put Ray on a separate team to his strongest opponents. :rolleyes:

And - surprise, surprise - the judges unanimously decided that the Uptown Girl routine he led was better than the girls' Egyptian routine. This despite the general view on other forums and Twitter being the opposite...

So his score from earlier was doubled. And what was that score? 40. :rolleyes:

It's hard not to feel that this all played a part in Suzanne ending up in the skate-off. And it's even harder not to feel that the judges decided her fate based almost solely on her performance in this skate-off, with very little regard for her previous performances.

That is, they decided her fate based almost solely on the fact that she made mistakes while Kyran, who had already survived one skate-off and who was generally regarded as being not as good as her, did not...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

...OK, I've stopped now. :D:)

So what has Suzanne's elimination done to Ray's odds? Well, let's take a look at the usual bookies' markets:

Ladbrokes: Ray 1/10, Hayley 8/1, Beth 16/1, Kyran 33/1, Sam 40/1
    Paddy Power: Ray 1/10, Hayley 7/1, Beth 12/1, Kyran 50/1, Sam 80/1
    William Hill: Ray 1/10, Hayley 6/1, Beth 16/1, Kyran 40/1, Sam 50/1
    Coral: Ray 1/12, Hayley 7/1, Beth 18/1, Kyran 40/1, Sam 50/1

Yep, it's sent those odds plunging to the extent that if you put €1 on him, you'll make a profit of no more than 10c.

And that profit might well be even less after tonight, when the celebs will each perform a solo routine without any help from their partners...

Got back yesterday, I watched back last week's last night - but stupid recorder didn't record the results show :mad:

I too thought that the girls' routine was better, was very surprised at a clean sweep for the boys.

Wish I could see the skate-off routines - but if Suzanne fluffed it and Kyran didn't, then we can't really argue with that - it's made very clear that it's a decision made on the skate-off alone, not previous performance(s). Wasn't there an episode early on where someone got away with mistakes in the skate-off and there were howls of indignation about that? But I do agree that Suzanne was much the better skater.

I'm happy now that Ray has it won, but will keep watching to see what the others do, it's a race for second (if they even announce second, which I suspect they don't - they might have to consider that this time!). I may be alone :D

Wish I could see the skate-off routines - but if Suzanne fluffed it and Kyran didn't, then we can't really argue with that - it's made very clear that it's a decision made on the skate-off alone, not previous performance(s). Wasn't there an episode early on where someone got away with mistakes in the skate-off and there were howls of indignation about that?

Well, there were howls of indignation here too... ;)

:confused:

Tonight's show is all over the shop, they just showed all of Beth's solo preparation and then she comes out and does her pairs skate....

Poor girl though, she looks really sick, it's as much as I can do to get myself up when I feel like that, never mind a punishing routine (or two) before the nation and judges.

Think Hayley looked liked she was brought down to earth with a bump being minus Dan.

Kyran's song is one of my favourites of all time - I was strangely underwhelmed by it all.

Jaysus, Diplomatic Corps for Jason (not!) :eek:

Sam's solo looked very good!

Watching on a telly where the sound is a second or so ahead of the picture, which made a hames of his routine - I'll have to watch it back on my own telly later!

The difference between him skating alone and Hayley alone was amazing.

In fairness, Ray is a whole world apart from the others :eek:

The panel are going to expire soon... talk about losing the run of themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Ray is so beautiful to watch. Yes it's obvious he'll win but if he can be that good, then it's worth watching.

Although I can't see him as any sort of sex symbol. Hes so young looking!

gubbie wrote: »
    Ray is so beautiful to watch. Yes it's obvious he'll win but if he can be that good, then it's worth watching.

Although I can't see him as any sort of sex symbol. Hes so young looking!

Yeah, I really don't get all the swooning - he's hardly a heartthrob. Well he doesn't do it for me anyway :D

• Advertisement

First of all, not only did the producers show a lack of imagination (again) in making the Team Challenge boys versus girls, but in doing so they put Ray on a separate team to his strongest opponents. :rolleyes:

And - surprise, surprise - the judges unanimously decided that the Uptown Girl routine he led was better than the girls' Egyptian routine. This despite the general view on other forums and Twitter being the opposite...

So his score from earlier was doubled. And what was that score? 40. :rolleyes:

It's hard not to feel that this all played a part in Suzanne ending up in the skate-off. And it's even harder not to feel that the judges decided her fate based almost solely on her performance in this skate-off, with very little regard for her previous performances.

That is, they decided her fate based almost solely on the fact that she made mistakes while Kyran, who had already survived one skate-off and who was generally regarded as being not as good as her, did not..

Doesn't it make complete sense to put Ray on a team against his strongest opponents :confused::confused: If they put the three strongest skaters on a team against the three weakest skaters it wouldn't be much of a competition would it?

Didn't watch any of the show so can't comment on whether the boys were better than the girls. Re the skate off though, again I haven't watched this show in a long time, but isn't it always judged on that sole performance? I remember far back as series one when John Barrowman who was arguably their biggest name and best skater being sent home over some guy from The Bill (who was in the skate off for the third time). Plus who can forget Pamela Anderson being sent home over Keith Chegwin?

Beth may be thankful she got the sympathy vote as there's no way she'd have survived the skate off.

Whoever designed that outfit for Vicky should be taken out and shot.

Don't know who I want to be voted off now :(

I love that Riverdance routine.

I also love how the audience valiantly tries every time to keep clapping along when it switches into the irregular time beat, and eventually has to give up :D

I must give an honourable mention to Christine's dress tonight, which I thought was only gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

I love that Riverdance routine.

I also love how the audience valiantly tries every time to keep clapping along when it switches into the irregular time beat, and eventually has to give up :D

I really don't like the river dance routine. The raised arms are more Scottish than irish and the outfits remind me of what foster and allen wore on top of the pops in the eighties! However I'm glad Sam got through. Overall he's a better skater than kyran.

Didn't post during or immediately after last week's episode, as I was in a bit of a bad mood.

But I see that there were quite a few posts in that time - so I guess I was wrong to say that any lingering interest in the series had evaporated. :o:D:)

Wasn't there an episode early on where someone got away with mistakes in the skate-off and there were howls of indignation about that? But I do agree that Suzanne was much the better skater.
    :confused:

Was it not obvious what I meant?

Howls of indignation when someone got away with mistakes in the skate-off earlier on in the series, and howls of indignation when Suzanne didn't get away with mistakes in her skate-off.

In other words, damned if you do, damned if you don't... :);)

Doesn't it make complete sense to put Ray on a team against his strongest opponents :confused::confused: If they put the three strongest skaters on a team against the three weakest skaters it wouldn't be much of a competition would it?

Well, obviously they couldn't have pitted the three strongest skaters (Ray, Suzanne and either Hayley or Beth, depending on your point of view) against the three weakest.

But pitting Ray against all the ladies just reeked of favouritism, like so many other things this series...

Re the skate off though, again I haven't watched this show in a long time, but isn't it always judged on that sole performance?

Most times, but not always.

If Ray ended up in the skate-off and he fluffed while his opponent didn't (no matter how unlikely this situation is), would the judges make their decision based solely on this? ;)

As for Pamela Anderson's elimination, that was definitely an "oops" moment. ;)

Anyway, no surprise at all that Mr Quinn got "quarante points" for his solo routine. :rolleyes: As for Jason only giving him and Maria 9.5, I wonder if he did it having realised the direction in which the viewing figures are going? ;)

And while the judges might not like Sam quite as much, they certainly like him a lot more than the public. Four skate-offs he's survived now. :eek:

Kyran's elimination didn't have quite as great an effect on the bookies' markets as Suzanne's, although Ray's odds have become a bit more varied:

Ladbrokes: Ray 1/10, Hayley 7/1, Beth 20/1, Sam 50/1
    Coral: Ray 1/12, Hayley 15/2, Beth 16/1, Sam 40/1
    William Hill: Ray 1/14, Hayley 7/1, Beth 16/1, Sam 33/1
    Paddy Power: Ray 1/16, Hayley 8/1, Beth 12/1, Sam 50/1

Will they go even lower as a result of him going higher? Because that's what he and the other three will be doing tonight, as they try to fly into the final. :D

Oh Gawd, don't tell me it's the flying trapeze tonight? Surely that's kept for the final, no?

More tales of how hard it is, how they're scared of heights, how the feel seasick.... as much as I'm a sucker (the only sucker?) for this show I really don't relish the thoughts of a flying episode :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I hate the flying thing. It looks so ridiculous!

I don't mind Sam. I'd say he's my second favourite. I have been put off his gag-fest VT's saying how much him and his partner are in love. Every. Bloody. Week.

Oh Gawd, don't tell me it's the flying trapeze tonight? Surely that's kept for the final, no?

More tales of how hard it is, how they're scared of heights, how the feel seasick.... as much as I'm a sucker (the only sucker?) for this show I really don't relish the thoughts of a flying episode :mad:
    gubbie wrote: »
    I hate the flying thing. It looks so ridiculous!

The flying has never been very popular, has it? :D;)

• Advertisement

Playing catch-up here (couldn't miss the end of Grease :D)

So far....

In fairness to them, Sam and Vicky's synchronicity was amazing, even in the slow-mo replays. Best of luck to 'em.

All the fawning and gibbering and blubbing over Hayley (as good and all as she was) is making me slightly nauseous.

Advertisement