Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The future at Second Row, who is it?

Options
  • 04-07-2013 7:37am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 392 ✭✭

Below is a lost of almost every Irish eligible second row. Clearly the current second row partnership is obvious for the national team.

However soon some of the most experienced players at this position will no longer be available for selection. Combined with the imminent departure of Johann Muller at Ulster, large question marks are emerging as to who is the future at second row, both for the provinces and the national team.

At Connacht, the departure of Mike McCarthy was greeted with the signing of both the NIQ'd Craig Clarke and the IQ'd Aly Muldowney combined with the veteran Michael Swift they probably have their top 3 rotation sorted for the short term. Mick Kearney and Andrew Browne are sort of tweeners and have played both lock and flanker.
    Danny Qualter, Conor Kindregan, Sean O'Brien and Ultan Dillane are younger guys who haven't made an impact yet.

At Munster, the top three of Donnacha O'Callaghan, Paul O'Connell and Donnacha Ryan is well established if aging. Billy Holland has provided decent cover but is far from being a long term option. Dave Foley and Ian Nagle are talked about as potential future internationals but have made little impact to date for Munster. Dave O'Callaghan is a tweener and is more likely to end up at flanker but could have a future at second row.
    Darren O'Shea, Sean McCarthy and John Madigan are younger guys who haven't made an impact yet.

At Leinster, Leo Cullen is probably in his final season, Mike McCarthy has been signed up at is expected to be a feature for Leinster for the span of his contract. Behind that the Devin Toner experiment rumbles on with varying degrees of success. Then there is the trio of Quinn Roux, Ben Marshall and Tom Denton, all have had various impacts so far for Leinster but it's hard to know if any can be top level players.
    Gavin Thornbury, Tadhg Beirne and Ross Molony are younger guys who haven't made an impact yet.

At Ulster, Johann Muller is the clear leader but his career at Ulster ends next summer. Lewis Stevenson and Dan Touhy give Ulster a solid three here. Behind him Neil McComb is a similar player to Billy Holland for Munster and offers good depth. The real question is Ian Henderson's future, regarded by most to be the most talented irish lock since POC he has been playing mostly flanker for Ulster, how long will this continue?
    James Simpson, Alan O'Connor and John Donnan are younger guys who haven't made an impact yet.

The exiles, this group is mostly made up of unproven players who have went abroad to try and make it professionally. The combo of Tom Hayes, Damian Browne and Andre Farley are journeymen who will finish their solid careers abroad. Eoin Sheriff, Mark Flanagan, James Sandford and Brian Hayes are currently trying to make an impact at their various clubs. Finally, Ryan Caldwell is the only viable second row abroad who is good enough right now for the provinces and could possible earn another Irish cap. But he is signed up with Bath for at least the next season and possibly more. Dave Gannon current whereabouts are unknown and Dave Nolan is trying to regain health this preseason with Connacht but is contract less.

30 and Over
    Leo Cullen(35) - 6'6
    Michael Swift(35) - 6'5
    Donnacha O'Callaghan(34) - 6'6
    Paul O'Connell(33) - 6'6
    Mike McCarthy(31) - 6'4
    Aly Muldowney(30) - 6'5
    Neil McComb(30) - 6'7

Under 30
    Donnacha Ryan(29) - 6'6
    Lewis Stevenson(29) - 6'7
    Dan Touhy(28) - 6'6
    Billy Holland(27) - 6'4
    Devin Toner(27) - 6'10
    Andrew Browne(26) - 6'5
    Dave Foley(25) - 6'6
    Tom Denton(25) - 6'6
    Ian Nagle(24) - 6'6
    Ben Marshall(23) - 6'5
    Dave O'Callaghan(23) - 6'5
    Mick Kearney(22) - 6'5
    Ian Henderson(21) - 6'6
    Danny Qualter(21) - 6'6

Academy Players
    James Simpson(22) - 6'6
    Tadhg Beirne(21) - 6'6
    Conor Kindregan(21) - 6'5
    Alan O'Connor(20) - 6'5
    Sean McCarthy(20) - 6'6
    Darren O'Shea(20) - 6'9
    Ultan Dillane(20) - 6'6
    John Donnan(20) - 6'6
    Gavin Thornbury(19) - 6'8
    Ross Molony(19) - 6'6
    John Madigan(19) - 6'6
    Sean O'Brien(19) - 6'5

Exiled
    Andrew Farley(33) - 6'6
    Damian Browne(33) - 6'5
    Tom Hayes(33) - 6'4 - Exeter
    Dave Gannon(30) - 6'6 - ??
    Ryan Caldwell(29) - 6'7 - Bath
    Eoin Sheriff(25) - 6'5 - Saracens
    Dave Nolan(25) - 6'6 - ??
    Mark Flanagan(24) - 6'7 - Pro D2 (Stade Montois)
    James Sandford(24) - 6'6 - Cornish Pirates
    Brian Hayes(22) - 6'5 - Pro D2 (Aurillac)

Bold = full irish cap

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I haven't seen him play but there is some positive chat up here in Ulster about a lad called Russell Blair, I think he is only 18 or 19, because Ulster are always slow to announce their Academy I don't even know if he is in it but from what Ove read about him he should be in it. He is meant to be enormous. Maybe a name to remember anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 392 ✭✭JagerScout

bilston wrote: »
    I haven't seen him play but there is some positive chat up here in Ulster about a lad called Russell Blair, I think he is only 18 or 19, because Ulster are always slow to announce their Academy I don't even know if he is in it but from what Ove read about him he should be in it. He is meant to be enormous. Maybe a name to remember anyway.

I've heard of him, but until Ulster announce their academy i'm reluctant to add him to the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Thornbury is someone I've got high hopes for. Not because of his size (He's massive), or because of his athleticism (he's very fit/mobile), but because of his work rate and aggressiveness. Those are things you just can't buy. He's a big unit of a lock and yet gets around the park, especially at ruck time. He's already good at the core fundamentals of lock work, which some of the other academy players are still trying to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Immediate Term
    4. Ryan
    5. POC
    Come World Cup
    4. Henderson
    5. POC
    Post World Cup/Post POC
    4. Henderson
    5. Ryan

That's how I'd like it to work itself out this side of the WC in particular. After which Marshall may have kicked on at Leinster among others.

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think it'll be Henderson + another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

awec wrote: »
    I think it'll be Henderson + another.

Really depends on how he's used at Ulster though isn't it? Seems to be playing more at 6 than anything else.

Would love to see him carry on as a lock tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,188 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Ryan, McCarthy, Tuohy and O'Connell should all get us through the next World Cup. By that stage, the picture for the following four years should be clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

Immediate Term
    4. Ryan
    5. POC
    Come World Cup
    4. Henderson
    5. POC
    Post World Cup/Post POC
    4. Henderson
    5. Ryan

That's how I'd like it to work itself out this side of the WC in particular. After which Marshall may have kicked on at Leinster among others.

Very much agree with that breakdown, and would be very happy to see it as that.

I think (hopefully) Henderson will bulk up abit...I'm sure he will, much like POC did as he got older.

Lock is one of the positions where the player is like a fine wine, gets better with age :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

.ak wrote: »
    Thornbury is someone I've got high hopes for. Not because of his size (He's massive), or because of his athleticism (he's very fit/mobile), but because of his work rate and aggressiveness. Those are things you just can't buy. He's a big unit of a lock and yet gets around the park, especially at ruck time. He's already good at the core fundamentals of lock work, which some of the other academy players are still trying to learn.

Thornberry will be Leinster captain someday. I think one of my first posts said this, I'll let you check! Barring injury, Bod forbid, he should start getting R12 games in the next 6N window and be a starter by 2015.

My personal opinion but I'm sure of this and quote me in 2 years fail or no-fail!:cool::cool::cool::cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I expect POC and Ryan will see us through to the world cup. After that I'd say we're looking at a combination of Ryan and Tuohy until/unless Henderson gets some game-time in the row with Ulster, at which point he'll likely be the better option alongside Ryan. I'm quite hopeful that Tadgh Beirne will slowly emerge after the departure of Leo Cullen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Tadhg Berne is my favourite of the young lads at the moment. If he can run a lineout I'd love to see him play beside Henderson in 4 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Immediate Term
    4. Ryan
    5. POC
    Come World Cup
    4. Henderson
    5. POC
    Post World Cup/Post POC
    4. Henderson
    5. Ryan

Have you forgotten about McCarthy??

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

leftleg wrote: »

I would suggest he may be the bench option. But in saying that POC and McCarthy could be an alternative to Ryan + POC. A good one at that (possibly better)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Long-term (in the post-POC world), I do think it will be Henderson + somebody else. His performances for the U-20s were POC-esque, and since he's burst onto the club & international scene, he's looked like Ferris v.2. But considering the back row strength, I think his long-term future lies in the 2nd row.

And whether he's partnered by Ryan or Tuohy or Nagle or Marshall or someone like Beirne/Thornbury, I think he'll be the mainstay.

In the immediate future, it's POC + somebody else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Long-term (in the post-POC world), I do think it will be Henderson + somebody else. His performances for the U-20s were POC-esque, and since he's burst onto the club & international scene, he's looked like Ferris v.2. But considering the back row strength, I think his long-term future lies in the 2nd row.

And whether he's partnered by Ryan or Tuohy or Nagle or Marshall or someone like Beirne/Thornbury, I think he'll be the mainstay.

In the immediate future, it's POC + somebody else.

Post a-POC-alyptic, surely?:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

If Ferris can get himself back and fit post his 6 month recuperation contract am hoping he can back into the fold for Ulster and release Henderson to play lock. He is playing at 6 for Ulster out of necessity at the moment I believe, a fit Ferris might give him a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

leftleg wrote: »

No, POC and Ryan are superior to him IMO and Henderson has fantastic potential. I would include McCarthy in 6 Nations squads etc but not in the matchday 23 unless there are injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I am pie wrote: »
    a fit Ferris might give him a run.

That's an understatement!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

Henderson is fantastically talented IMO. Joe is well known for giving young players a chance to prove themselves and I reckon we'll be seeing Iain in the row sooner rather than later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Henderson will obviously be a starter for years to come likely.

We've some serious athletic talent that needs to be moulded to go along with that.

Dave O'Callaghan at Munster, Ben Marshall and Mick Kearney are three I'd tip.

First two in particular look like, given a run of games, they could really make a big impression this year.

I'm on record as being a huge fan of Marshall, reckon he got a bit of a tough deal in comparison to Roux.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

bilston wrote: »
    That's an understatement!

Sorry, what I mean is that a fit Ferris playing at 6 will facilitate giving him a chance at a run at lock for Ulste....too economic with my words there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

No, POC and Ryan are superior to him IMO and Henderson has fantastic potential. I would include McCarthy in 6 Nations squads etc but not in the matchday 23 unless there are injuries.
    Both better players individually but POC and Ryan are both best as LH locks. POC with McCarthy might be a better combination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Both better players individually but POC and Ryan are both best as LH locks. POC with McCarthy might be a better combination.

We'll have to see how McCarthy goes at Leinster first. He was very good in the Autumn, but he has gone seriously off the boil since. POC operates brilliantly at both 4 and 5 though. He might be primarily be a LH lock, but he is still a better TH lock than McCarthy.

No love for Devin "Better than Richie Gray" Toner in this thread? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Mahatma in bitter kick at Leinster player shocker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Teferi wrote: »
    Mahatma in bitter kick at Leinster player shocker.

Teferi in petty jibe at Mahatma shocker...

Do us both a favour and throw me on ignore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Summer tour, v USA. Almost enough said. Toner is tall, a bit like Mushy is big. That doesn't automatically make a great player. He was better v Canada, but that wouldn't have been hard.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Summer tour, v USA. Almost enough said. Toner is tall, a bit like Mushy is big. That doesn't automatically make a great player. He was better v Canada, but that wouldn't have been hard.

Amlin Cup Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

Toner was a standout on the Summer tour, odd comment to make. Don't think he'll make the 23 with POC there, but if POC's out I'd slot Toner straight in to manage the line out. Ryan has proven illsuited to the role. Hope to see Henderson bench in the autumn, ideal cover for lock/blindside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Hype710 wrote: »
    Toner was a standout on the Summer tour, odd comment to make. Don't think he'll make the 23 with POC there, but if POC's out I'd slot Toner straight in to manage the line out. Ryan has proven illsuited to the role. Hope to see Henderson bench in the autumn, ideal cover for lock/blindside.

The lineout was a disaster against the USA and Toner failed to take a fair few of them. He worked well in the loose but the lineout is the key to second row play.

• Advertisement

athtrasna wrote: »
    The lineout was a disaster against the USA and Toner failed to take a fair few of them. He worked well in the loose but the lineout is the key to second row play.

Really depends what team you're talking about

Advertisement