Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So... I'm curious... Who DID actually switch banks?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

L5 wrote: »
    What do you mean 7 days of not being able to use a debit card? Can you not use it for the first 7 days of it or something?

Presumably time waiting for it to arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Opened my tsb account today. Need to wait 2 weeks to close my boi account to make sure salary has been redirected to new account. Cannot wait to be finished with boi.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Fair play to everyone that has gotten up off their rear end and reacted to these bank charges by moving bank. Folks who stay with the so called pillar banks have no grounds to complain IMO. There is an alternative for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Poochie05

L5 wrote: »
    What do you mean 7 days of not being able to use a debit card? Can you not use it for the first 7 days of it or something?

I think what they are referring to is that it takes 7 working days from your switch date until the switch is completed and they recommend to stop using your debit card for your closing account so as not to have pending transactions which would make them refuse the switch and you'd have to start the process again.

But what I did to avoid this was transfer some money manually from my closing account to my new PTSB account a few days before the switch date and just started using the new PTSB one instead. The debit card is sent out weeks before the switch date so I had time to activate it, change the pin and set up online banking well in time before the switch date, avoiding the issue of not being able to use your card that the poster is referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I closed my current account last Monday, the bank didn't even ask why I was closing it. However I think they are playing silly buggers as the account is still open when I look online, if they think they'll be getting any fees off of me for a closed account they can go swing.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,186 ✭✭✭✭km79

Myself and the wife are in the process iof closing our individual current accounts and joint account. Should be done and dusted mid september.
    Still waiting for Ulster Bank complaints dept to ring me on a matter since start of July......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I closed my current account last Monday, the bank didn't even ask why I was closing it. However I think they are playing silly buggers as the account is still open when I look online, if they think they'll be getting any fees off of me for a closed account they can go swing.

I got a final amount from AIB and BOI, I transferred the amount to both accounts and gave them a date to close them, I can still get into both on Internet banking. I have no idea why. I cut up the cards and gave them to the banks also.

I know I'm covered as I got calls from both banks quoting my letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I've moved my main current account from AIB to PTSB.
    I still have a UB current account too, which I'll hang onto for a while yet.
    Simple fact is that keeping these 2 accounts still costs me less per Qtr than I was paying AIB in fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭Sarn

Done. My BOI account was closed today.

They of course took €5 as a maintenance fee for the new quarter (which began today). I had to wait or they would have hit me for far more in the previous quarter in fees. However, I will see if I can get this back as their terms and conditions state that "If you have not used your account in any fee quarter we will waive the quarterly maintenance fee until 17 February 2014." Although closing an account is probably considered 'use'.

Now for simpler banking without having to jump through numerous moving hoops (for as long as it lasts).

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

Anybody see the ads BOI are currently running. Advising people about how easy it is to switch. Very strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Delta2113

"Hi Delta2113,

Thanks for your question.

Closing an account does not count as a transaction so there is no transaction charge for this.

Thanks

Billy"

Don't let BOI away with 1 cent!

"Hi Delta2113,

Provided there is no other activity on your account and it remains inactive until closure, the €5 maintenance fee would not apply.

Thanks
    Tara"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

KBC are going to start offering current accounts. Although I imagine it will be a current account where you cant make any physical lodgements in a branch or just for Dubliners( I only think they have one branch in Dublin 2).

Its weird in Ireland, that we dont have a ton of little banks like in America. But just massive banks all of which have merged over time.

http://www.kbc.ie/kbclocations - 2 in Dublin and Cork, Galway and Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭OU812

I barely use my AIB accounts but have to keep them because of payments into them. My Ub account is getting more use these days & I've just opened a sterling account with UB as I want to keep some money out of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

I'm in the process of switching, should save me at least 100 a year due to the senseless fees from AIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

OU812 wrote: »
    I barely use my AIB accounts but have to keep them because of payments into them
    Can't you advise the payer(s) of your alternative account numbers(s)? If they are for loan repayments (your loans) the bank is obliged to convert them to a "service account" that you can use to service a loan, but which cannot be used for day to day banking (no DD's, cards etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭OU812

If the bank account changes, the payment will either stop or be halted for up to three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Add me to the list. Moved from BOI to PTSB a few months ago. No complaints, very easy to do

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Are there any cheaper options for thoses who can't lodge 1500-3000 per month?
    I am currently with Ulster bank, having looked around, fees of 50 quid + per year seem standard now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Not at the moment, but the EU banks should be along soon, even if only virtually.

I'm unlikely to think of transferring the correct amount into PTSB every month, but my move from UB was to make a point more than anything. I explicitly went into my branch to explain this to them, and that if they reverted, I'd move my accounts back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Are there any cheaper options for thoses who can't lodge 1500-3000 per month?

Just transfer money in and out until you reach 1,500 EUR per month with PTSB.

• Site Banned Posts: 257 ✭✭Driveby Dogboy

not me, still with AIB.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

You must be rolling in it.

• Site Banned Posts: 257 ✭✭Driveby Dogboy

not really, but i'm able to keep 2,500 in my current account that would be earning me f-all interest in a savings acc. ~50 quid a year, same as €12.50 per quarter in charges, dont know if thats good or bad, but shur thats what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

To me that's rolling in it, well done! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I've just completed my switch from AIB to PTSB and it all went well. The switch happened last week and I see the first direct debit came out of my PTSB account today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Is PTSB the best to change to, with BOI and got my fee statement today and it's a joke, €48 to use my laser.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

RubyGirl wrote: »
    Is PTSB the best to change to, with BOI and got my fee statement today and it's a joke, €48 to use my laser.

Well they dont charge fees if you deposit more than 1500 into your account a month. Services seem on par with what AIB offer (except contactless payment on the debit cards).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

You can get your wages paid into a credit union? I did not know that. The only thing about that would be it's pretty inconvenient if you need to zap your card at a 'til or pay for something online.

Advertisement