Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So... I'm curious... Who DID actually switch banks?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I opened my PTSB account yesterday and will close my 30 year old AIB account before the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Delta2113

What's the best/cheapest/free bank to join?

Im with AIB, use it very little as im unemployed, no wages going in or out, no direct debits.

I finished my college course last year and its still a student account and everything is free, its great. But as soon as I get work, it may change. They might cop on when they see my wages going in and start charging me.

Their fees are expensive. Im thinking about setting up a new account and have it ready to have my wages put in.

http://www.ebs.ie/daily-banking/ebs-moneymanager-account-a-debit-card.html

Might be your best choice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Just set one up with tsb when you get a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Scortho wrote: »
    Do you have to be resident in Germany for this?
    No, but you have to find a bank that will open an account for you from abroad. My bank will open an account for non-residents officially. They even explain how you identify yourself from abroad, BUT you have to be able to communicate in German with them or they are not interested.
    Or could someone living in Ireland run 100% of their transactions out of another country?
    From February there will be no difference between domestic accounts and accounts/payments elsewhere in the SEPA. If you can open an account in Germany etc. you will be able to use it for everything you could use an Irish account for.

There are big changes coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I whinged!

I left AIB for BOI
    Left BOI for PTSB
    and I have no qualms about leaving if they bring in senseless fees.

A business is a business, but I bank online. I pay electronically, if they only charged for cash withdrawals, I'd still be happy, but to charge me for receiving a payment into my account, the nerve!

I'm still laughing at the bloke trying to sell me a savings account when I went in to cancel my current account in BOI, as if.

I have also switched 3 friends accounts, but some friends that really cant afford the charges just will not move then account because the are terrified that they will not get their disability / pension / child benefit and their family wont eat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

murphaph wrote: »
    No, but you have to find a bank that will open an account for you from abroad. My bank will open an account for non-residents officially. They even explain how you identify yourself from abroad, BUT you have to be able to communicate in German with them or they are not interested.

From February there will be no difference between domestic accounts and accounts/payments elsewhere in the SEPA. If you can open an account in Germany etc. you will be able to use it for everything you could use an Irish account for.

There are big changes coming!

Hmm How good must your German be? I've leaving cert German, but have only spoken it for 4 days in the last 3 years when I was in Berlin. Got on fine speaking with locals and stuff, but it was broken and my grammar may have been a bit iffy.

Hmm How good must your German be? I've leaving cert German, but have only spoken it for 4 days in the last 3 years when I was in Berlin. Got on fine speaking with locals and stuff, but it was broken and my grammar may have been a bit iffy.
    I've never had to speak to them. All communication so far has been written.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

murphaph wrote: »
    I've never had to speak to them. All communication so far has been written.

Great ill look into it then when sepa comes on board.
    Cheers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

In the process of moving from Ulster to PTSB. Switchover pegged for the 10th. Brought the wife with me. I'll probably end up paying fees at PTSB anyway, at least until the new year, but moved on principle, to send a message. If - when - PTSB put their fees up, I'll move again.

Anyone that posted in those AIB or BOI threads that /didn't/ move deserves all they get. The length of this thread in comparison to those would seem to support the theory that we're a nation of whingers, not doers. It's an embarrassment to me as an Irishman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

I moved last week from BOI after 20 years to PTSB. All seems to have gone grand so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The people I know who didn't move are the people who availed of services that the bank offered like over drafts etc that served to just tie the customer to the bank.
    Never get tied to a bank, tray them like utilities providers and switch every year for a cheaper offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've been with AIB about 20 years and did setup a UB account when the fees came in so I could switch over.
    Luckily for me I hadn't done any of the DD transfers as 2 weeks later the IT "glitch" happened so that plus a few other reasons led me to close the a/c again

This PTSB offer looks good but I have an overdraft, credit card and loan with AIB that would have to stay where they are. Would I still not get badly stung for fees anyway?
    The credit card could be cleared and closed easy enough, but what are PTSB like for getting one from them? How about an overdraft facility?

What's their online banking like in comparison to AIB as this is where I do most of my banking?

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I've been with AIB about 20 years and did setup a UB account when the fees came in so I could switch over.

Luckily for me I hadn't done any of the DD transfers as 2 weeks later the IT "glitch" happened so that plus a few other reasons led me to close the a/c again

This PTSB offer looks good but I have an overdraft, credit card and loan with AIB that would have to stay where they are. Would I still not get badly stung for fees anyway?

The credit card could be cleared and closed easy enough, but what are PTSB like for getting one from them?

I have debt with BOI and when I was in with PTSB they offered me a credit card and to set up an overdraft etc.

You will pay fees on your loan (interest payments) and on your credit card (interest + govt stamp duty), these are not connected to your current account fees in anyway.
    Your overdraft, if you are using it, then you will either need to pay if off over time, keeping the account open and you'll be subjected to fees. Or you could opt for an overdraft with PTSB if you qualify and just pay it off using that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Have been with AIB 27 years and i have just set up a meeting for next week on PTSB Grafton Street to get switched over €67 in fees AIB can kiss my fat white hairy ass:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

The credit card could be cleared and closed easy enough, but what are PTSB like for getting one from them? How about an overdraft facility?

What's their online banking like in comparison to AIB as this is where I do most of my banking?

I still have my AIB credit cards while my banking is done through UB. I can access my AIB credit card stuff through 24hr banking and online and it's easy to clear the balance on the credit card from online with UB. No need to cancel them unless you want to.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

cookie1977 wrote: »
    I still have my AIB credit cards while my banking is done through UB. I can access my AIB credit card stuff through 24hr banking and online and it's easy to clear the balance on the credit card from online with UB. No need to cancel them unless you want to.

On that...if you are doing an overhaul of banking facilities, it may be worth doing a comparison of credit cards on www.bonkers.ie. The switch to another one may give you interest free months or a lower rate etc, so always good to do a review of these at regular intervals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

120 a year ! Fair play

I was quoted €12 a month for iPhone insurance from 02, so it's cheaper than that.
    I use the Ticketmaster 25% cashback service a fair bit too - I've got a total cashback of €90.34 for the year so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭FaganJr

In the process of switching at the moment after 20 odd years with BOI!

I closed 3 AIB accounts but kept their CC as I had built up a "decent" limit that would be hard to get elsewhere (as a non-resident I also pay nothing for the CC as the stamp duty is only payable by residents). I even kept the online banking just for the CC which is very handy.

They have to issue a new PAC for some reason and then your card reader won't work with the CC so they'll issue a code card on request (you only need that to print off statements or change your address etc., not to just view your recent transactions/balance).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

Yes I switched to PTSB too after 10+ years with AIB. I'm keeping the credit card though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Switching from BOI to Ulster Bank shortly. I actually opened the Ulster Bank account last year while waiting for BOI to bring in Visa Debit. But with administration fees coming in I have to choose between them and the choice is a no brainer. My BOI credit card is almost cleared so I'll probably cancel that as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

quaalude wrote: »
    I left AIB last year, (20 years a customer) for Ulster Bank.
    I upgraded my Ulster Bank account to a uFirst account to take advantage of the free iPhone insurance it offers, so I pay a tenner a month for my account.

Ulster Bank customer myself and just rang them to query the fees and the customer service representative i spoke to mentioned this uFirst, actually done a very good job of selling it to me as I was and still might switch to PTSB but with all these benefits for a tenner a month I'm considering staying especially the mobile insurance for my HTC One but I'm wondering what are the catches as there have to be some before I make a final decision?

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if UB did a Halifax or NIB in 2 or 3 years. RBS have all but shouted from the rooftops that they want shot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭Elessar

rovoagho wrote: »
    I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if UB did a Halifax or NIB in 2 or 3 years. RBS have all but shouted from the rooftops that they want shot of it.

NIB didn't go anywhere, they changed to Danske bank.

Speaking of which, I've been with them for 15+ years and they now charge me over €18 a quarter...I'm considering switching but I really like their mobile and online banking (and having the post office deal with everything else is really handy).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Elessar wrote: »

Speaking of which, I've been with them for 15+ years and they now charge me over €18 a quarter...I'm considering switching but I really like their mobile and online banking (and having the post office deal with everything else is really handy).

Is a mobile app and the post office worth €72 a year, is the question.

Is a mobile app and the post office worth €72 a year, is the question.

Probably not. I am looking into PTSB, but there is a certain reluctance on my part if I'm honest, having had the a/c for so long.

I didn't say they went anywhere. They basically pulled out of customer facing banking, was my point. If you want Rabo style banking they're perfect, apart from the fact that they're more expensive, have terrible customer service, and suck balls.

rovoagho wrote: »
    I didn't say they went anywhere. They basically pulled out of customer facing banking, was my point. If you want Rabo style banking they're perfect, apart from the fact that they're more expensive, have terrible customer service, and suck balls.

I've found their customer service to be exceptional, actually. Part of the reason I'm hesitate to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Switched from BOI to PTSB after 45 years as a customer of BOI, enough is more than enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Probably not. I am looking into PTSB, but there is a certain reluctance on my part if I'm honest, having had the a/c for so long.

Change will do you good, and your bank balance, and seriously no hassle at all.

Advertisement