Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So... I'm curious... Who DID actually switch banks?

Options
  • 03-07-2013 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

Between Ulster Bank and AIB bringing in all these new charges and fees, I'm curious, of those who posted whinging about the introduction/increase of fees, who has actually taken the plunge and switched banks (presumably to TSB)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I've switched over my DDs and am hoping to get into AIB tomorrow to close my account. I already had a ptsb account but was planning on keeping my aib account too but it just ain't worth it for me. I don't make enough money to pay those charges.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

fartyarse wrote: »
    Between Ulster Bank and AIB bringing in all these new charges and fees, I'm curious, of those who posted whinging about the introduction/increase of fees, who has actually taken the plunge and switched banks (presumably to TSB)?

I have.
    After 28 years with BOI I left them last week after 70 euro was debited in fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I've an appointment with PTSB this week to switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 cripesonfriday

We left BOI last week after a €90 charge. Was told it was still free banking if we kept €3,000 in the account. Who the hell has three grand they can just let sit in an account these days.

The lady in TSB we were talking to said they'd had a steady stream of people in switching, and a lot of calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

We left BOI last week after a €90 charge. Was told it was still free banking if we kept €3,000 in the account. Who the hell has three grand they can just let sit in an account these days.

The lady in TSB we were talking to said they'd had a steady stream of people in switching, and a lot of calls.

Or in my case a spare 6k as I have two accounts. ...noone has that kind of money spare and if they did it wouldn't be in a current account as you get no interest on it.

I'll be leaving in the next month or two, other priorities at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭fartyarse

I have.
    After 28 years with BOI I left them last week after 70 euro was debited in fees.

Woah! Any regrets so far? I moved from Ulster Bank to TSB a few weeks ago. Preferred the UB setup but it wasn't worth 36 euro a year to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Left AIB after 20 years last summer to go to BOI. Left them in October last year when they introduced fees with unworkable avoidance. Now with ulster bank and while fees are coming in it's workable for me to avoid them but if not I'll leave for PTSB. As long as there's a free/cheaper option I'll move. To date I've avoided fees by leaving AIB and BOI just before they were introduced.

Woah! Any regrets so far? I moved from Ulster Bank to TSB a few weeks ago. Preferred the UB setup but it wasn't worth 36 euro a year to me!

Not at all!!
    My BOI account was down the country, all my dealings were online, standing orders, direct debits etc. I cant justify 70 euro per quarter.
    The only thing left with them is my mortgage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

I had accounts with ulster bank I had D/D set up etc .. I closed accounts I set up mortgages direct debits etc etc with the credit union and there are no charges all work fine. I got my wages paid into c union too and now it's a quicker walk on pay day to c. Union as its nearer to me than the ulster bank ! No charges except for yearly govt charge on visa. I never had a ATM card as I refuse to pay charges. All well for meðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭stezie

Looking at switching myself alright.

does any one know if you can keep the AIB credit card and have your current account in TSB? or does everything need to be with the one bank?

vitani wrote: »
    I've an appointment with PTSB this week to switch.

Prob rope ya in and start charging fees when yr set up !! Most expensive mortgages etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

stezie wrote: »
    Looking at switching myself alright.

does any one know if you can keep the AIB credit card and have your current account in TSB? or does everything need to be with the one bank?

Yes you can. We have aib credit cards and are with Ulster Bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Prob rope ya in and start charging fees when yr set up !! Most expensive mortgages etc

With Permanent TSB for many years. No fees for me. Never set foot in the place as they have excellent online banking. Both my sons went to college in Dublin and I often got a call from them as they stood by an ATM, asking for "emergency" :p money. Transferred to their accounts immediately.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm actually thinking of switching from TSB to Ulster Bank to avoid charges because I'm not a high earner, but it looks like I'll have to check out these new charges anyway just to make sure.

Think you need to deposit 1500 per month, so withdraw some of your wage and deposit it again each month. Free banking

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Left Danske as their service level was shocking 4 months trying to open a joint account. 30 minutes with ptsb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

What's the best/cheapest/free bank to join?

Im with AIB, use it very little as im unemployed, no wages going in or out, no direct debits.

I finished my college course last year and its still a student account and everything is free, its great. But as soon as I get work, it may change. They might cop on when they see my wages going in and start charging me.

Their fees are expensive. Im thinking about setting up a new account and have it ready to have my wages put in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

You don't have to get your mortgage from the bank you have an account with.

I switched the old fashioned way. I opened a new account, transferred all automatic bills to the new one and waited a couple of months. Just closed my AIB acct on Monday.

I had my AIB acct for 25 years, have had my wages going through it for about 20. Paid a fortune in CC interest over the years.

Opening the new account took about 15 mins to fill the form. About 3 phone calls for the couple of bills I have set to come out automatically and 15 minutes to go into AIB and ask them to close off the accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I left AIB last year, (20 years a customer) for Ulster Bank.
    I upgraded my Ulster Bank account to a uFirst account to take advantage of the free iPhone insurance it offers, so I pay a tenner a month for my account.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

As a college student I get free banking with aib.
    When that stops however, I will be looking for the cheapest provider

Possibly but it would be a bit foolish on their part to. The customers that they're getting now have already proved that they'll switch banks if they can get a better offer somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I don't make enough money to pay those charges.
    Once you put €1500 a month, it's no fee 's in PTSB.
    Was told it was still free banking if we kept €3,000 in the account. Who the hell has three grand they can just let sit in an account these days.
    The thing is, you'd be a fool to leave it in the bank, as other places could give you better returns!
    This post has been deleted.
    Happy to see the Ulster Bank closures are not affecting your move...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I've closed all my AIB accounts and am in the process of moving my UB stuff to BoI (as an interim measure only-still cheaper for me than UB). From February (SEPA deadline-can switch remaining Irish DDs and SOs to German account from then on without the bank ) I will move everything to my German accounts and close my BoI one and that will be my last Irish bank account closed. My German bank charges me nothing and there are no conditions to meet to get that. I can open new accounts "on the fly" on line and close them when no longer needed. Very flexible.

Think you need to deposit 1500 per month, so withdraw some of your wage and deposit it again each month. Free banking

And a free 1500 euro for the bank to invest ! No interest for you on your money tho ! It's important to keep them with their pecks and mercs!!

Go local credit union community service 😊

quaalude wrote: »
    I left AIB last year, (20 years a customer) for Ulster Bank.
    I upgraded my Ulster Bank account to a uFirst account to take advantage of the free iPhone insurance it offers, so I pay a tenner a month for my account.

120 a year ! Fair play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

murphaph wrote: »
    I've closed all my AIB accounts and am in the process of moving my UB stuff to BoI (as an interim measure only-still cheaper for me than UB). From February (SEPA deadline-can switch remaining Irish DDs and SOs to German account from then on without the bank ) I will move everything to my German accounts and close my BoI one and that will be my last Irish bank account closed. My German bank charges me nothing and there are no conditions to meet to get that. I can open new accounts "on the fly" on line and close them when no longer needed. Very flexible.

Do you have to be resident in Germany for this?
    Or could someone living in Ireland run 100% of their transactions out of another country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

And a free 1500 euro for the bank to invest ! No interest for you on your money tho ! It's important to keep them with their pecks and mercs!!

Go local credit union community service 😊

While I don't like bank charging fees and I'll do everything I can to avoid them. I can see the point of loss making organisations upping fees.

AIB lost €3.8bn last year. I know this was because of idiocy and total mismanagement but it's still a business (well in theory anyway). Unless the taxpayer wants to bail the banks out again the banks need to start making money.

I don't think all of the fees are going on perks and mercs.

Your first point is valid though. For me €1500 is worth about €5.65 a month off my mortgage if I pay it off the mortgage rather than leave it sitting in a bank account to save €4 a month in bank fees. I'm not on a tracker though so I'm paying real interest on my mortgage.

timetogo wrote: »
    Your first point is valid though. For me €1500 is worth about €5.65 a month off my mortgage if I pay it off the mortgage rather than leave it sitting in a bank account to save €4 a month in bank fees. I'm not on a tracker though so I'm paying real interest on my mortgage.

With PTSB, you don't have to leave it in your account though. There just has to be deposits equalling €1500 going in. You can withdraw the money straight away and put it into savings/a mortgage etc.

They seem to be going after customers with a regular salary coming in, probably in the hope that by offering them a free current account, they'll take out other products in the future which will generate more revenue for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Left AIB last year when they brought in fees.

Then UB had their IT glitch so within the month left UB and I switched to PTSB.

Was a bit of a pain but nothing too bad, once I'd switched once I knew it would be easy to do again. The salary dept. nearly killed me though :D

Advertisement