Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Military coup underway in Egypt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    British fellow on RTÉ News at One with Seán O'Rourke saying that the army basically "played a numbers game" by doing a head count from helicopters and saw the largest demonstrations in living memory and decided they had to make a move and the opposition had the biggest numbers.

Clearly this is untrue as mass protests never work ....

Protests had a large effect across Eastern Europe and in Georgia, Ukraine and so on

Most countries in the ME and N Africa have at least been changing policy since the Arab Spring (obviously apart from the ones in which the family dynasty got all shooty)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

its not a military coup when the army represents the will of the people, actually that sound democratic to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

its not a military coup when the army represents the will of the people, actually that sound democratic to me

Without any elections that's a dangerous line of reasoning there in fairness.

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Protests had a large effect across Eastern Europe and in Georgia, Ukraine and so on

Most countries in the ME and N Africa have at least been changing policy since the Arab Spring (obviously apart from the ones in which the family dynasty got all shooty)

Sorry, Jonny7. It has been established on several After Hours threads that mass protests do not work and never will work so it would be absolutely futile for the Irish people to engage in them. Please don't question this, ever. Like.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

What would you have the people do?

Wait for his term to end and for the Muslim Brotherhood to cement its power and completely destroy the country or to nip it in the bud by forcing early elections?

• Advertisement

elections are only one of many ways to practice democracy

What would you have the people do?

Wait for his term to end and for the Muslim Brotherhood to cement its power and completely destroy the country or to nip it in the bud by forcing early elections?

I think the people were entirely correct and admirable. At the same time, we cannot ignore the reality that Morsi was democratically elected as recently as June 2012. If I were being honest, if Morsi had been a great left-leaning liberal I'd probably condemn the people as an uncouth rabble (ahem!), but seeing as he is a political Islamist who would add to intolerance I think it's a good thing even though he is democratically elected. I suspect many people are similarly hypocritical on democracy in this case.

My point to Laoch na Móna was that I would have misgivings about ever accepting the line "when the army represents the will of the people". That cultural separation in Ireland between army and politics is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MonaPizza

They wanted democracy and they got it.
    Now they don't like the outcome and don't want to follow the democratic process.
    It is a bit nuts and can only lead to more blood.

Not quite.
    They wanted democracy and got it.
    The party who got in then subsequently suspended democracy and welshed on all their promises.
    The people decided "fcuk you if you think we're waiting 4 years for you and your stooges to get back in in another election and then conveniently continue to renege on your obligations. That's what goes on in Ireland. GTFO NOW!"

elections are only one of many ways to practice democracy

Quite true, but in their absence something else is required in order to support a claim that 'the army represents the will of the people'. As things currently stand, the last election in Egypt was won, as recently as June 2012, by the person whom the army overthrew yesterday. This makes a claim that the coup has a democratic mandate somewhat tricky to support. It also sets an ominous precedent.

Quite true, but in their absence something else is required in order to support a claim that 'the army represents the will of the people'. As things currently stand, the last election in Egypt was won, as recently as June 2012, by the person whom the army overthrew yesterday. This makes a claim that the coup has a democratic mandate somewhat tricky to support. It also sets an ominous precedent.

Massive popular protests?

• Advertisement

Massive popular protests?

Egypt has a population of about 83 million people. I'm not sure how the protests, as large as they were, could constitute a democratic mandate from the majority of that population.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Fair Play to them.

Egypt has a population of about 83 million people. I'm not sure how the protests, as large as they were, could constitute a democratic mandate from the majority of that population.

I understand that, but the result of these protest is elections will be held and that is a democratic victory. If they had appointed a new government them it would have been a different story

I understand that, but the result of these protest is elections will be held and that is a democratic victory. If they had appointed a new government them it would have been a different story

Fair point. Hopefully, they don't postpone these elections as happened with the last one when Mubarak resigned in February 2011 but elections did not happen until June 2012.

I get the impression, though, that the powers-that-be in Egypt now have substantially more respect for the power of the people after the past two years of protests.

Who people wanted last year needn't be who they want this year.

Election promises, myths and false images got the Muslim Brotherhood in to power. Once they showed their true colours and made enemies of the entire country, the people got them out of power.

As for uncouth rabble... the Muslim Brotherhood told its supporters to go out and fight with the anti-Morsi protestors (Who were completely peaceful). Scumbags who'd risk starting a civil war just to hold on to power.

Only 25 million people voted of which only 13 million voted for Morsi.

Well over 20 million protested against him and signed a petition for early presidential elections.

I wouldn't call it anything but democratic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Bad day for Egypt with 235 civilians and 43 police killed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23705532

Egypt is a deeply troubled country steamrolling towards imminent civil war such are the divisions there. Sad to say but maybe they would have been better off still ruled by a dictatorship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Egypt is a deeply troubled country steamrolling towards imminent civil war such are the divisions there. Sad to say but maybe they would have been better off still ruled by a dictatorship.
    Like Iraq and Libya, you mean? I'd quietly agree, but I'd never come out and say it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Not really. That just strings out the deaths and keeps them quieter. This may be a violent transition the country has to go through.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Nodin wrote: »
    Not really. That just strings out the deaths and keeps them quieter. This may be a violent transition the country has to go through.

Em, keeps who quieter?

I must say this moral equivalence from you is not really surprising.
    A democratically elected president overthrown by the military, Yeah!
    235 people shot dead with the possibility of hundreds more by said 'peaceful' military. "Shrugs shoulders"

• Advertisement

jank wrote: »
    Em, keeps who quieter?"

The deaths.

The deaths.

The dead keep the dead quiet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Good time to see the Pyramids i Reckon, A summer sun holiday wasn't really in the budget this year but i see Falcon are doing killer deals on Egypt packages at the mo :cool:

The dead keep the dead quiet?

A military dictatorship, in long term repressive measures, kill as many over a long period and manage to keep such things relatively quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Very, very true.

A military dictatorship, in long term repressive measures, kill as many over a long period and manage to keep such things relatively quiet.

How many did Morsi or Mubarak kill in this fashion?

How many did Morsi or Mubarak kill in this fashion?

Morsi wasn't as of yet a dictator per se and as mubarrak was in power decades I'd imagine thousands. You're getting to some point, I hope?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

The west will learn how to resolve world issues by watching how the middle east countries work the deplomacy thing.

Watch and learn.

old_aussie wrote: »
    The west will learn how to resolve world issues by watching how the middle east countries work the deplomacy thing.

Watch and learn.

...whats that supposed to mean? Or are you going to do the usual post and run job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Morsi wasn't as of yet a dictator per se and as mubarrak was in power decades I'd imagine thousands. You're getting to some point, I hope?

I think he was getting to the point of "how many did morsi kill" to get and keep the muslim brotherhood in power, not was he was a dictator or not

Advertisement