Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualifiers Round 2

Options
  • 01-07-2013 7:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

Draw is this morning at 8.30. I'll be keeping a keen eye on it as Cavan are involved.

I don't think there's anything we can call an easy draw as a Division 3 team in the pot we're in.

Would hope to avoid Tyrone and Derry and hoping we don't get a rematch against Fermanagh or Armagh.

I think the best we can hope for is a home draw against Longford, Laois or Louth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

;)Tyrone v Kildare please !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    ;)Tyrone v Kildare please !!

any updates yet?

Clare - Laois
    Cavan - Fermanagh
    Kildare- Louth

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Kidare get Louth. Doesn't sound too exciting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Update? Kildare best not get Tyrone.

• Advertisement

Clare - Laois
    Cavan - Fermanagh
    Kildare- Louth

Two very close games already

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭golfball37

Cavan and Fermanagh have already played each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

from gaa.ie:
    To be played on July 6/7
    Clare v Laois
    Derry v Down
    Leitrim v Armagh
    Roscommon v Tyrone
    Galway v Waterford

To be played on July 13/14
    Longford v Wexford
    Cavan v Fermanagh
    Kildare v Louth

Based on 1st day out/form for the teams in Round 2, wins in bold for below

Clare v Laois
    Derry v Down
    Leitrim v Armagh
    Roscommon v Tyrone
    Galway v Waterford
    Longford v Wexford
    Cavan v Fermanagh
    Kildare vLouth . This one is touch and go. If its in Newbridge, Louth have a better chance than if the game is moved to Portlaoise for safety reasons. It shouldn't be but I know there are issues with the ground in Newbridge...

No stand out ties.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

golfball37 wrote: »
    Cavan and Fermanagh have already played each other?
    Yup. Joke of a system.

• Advertisement

Teams only avoid each other lets say if Dublin beat Meath, Meath win there Round 4 match , they cant play again in the 1/4 final.

Agree, joke of a system.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 FrToddUnxious

Again... this just shows the unfairness of this championship yet again.
    Roscommon are last team to play C ship on 16 June and against Mayo. No. 2 in the country. And now drawn against Tyrone. Probably No. 6 in the country.
    Game over. Ball burst for that county's team and supporters for the year. All that training for what?
    IMO provincial competitions should play off in spring. And have a champs league format in the Summer. Where all teams get 3 games with strong, medium and weak teams in each group.

Based on 1st day out/form for the teams in Round 2, wins in bold for below

Clare v Laois
    Derry v Down
    Leitrim v Armagh
    Roscommon v Tyrone
    Galway v Waterford
    Longford v Wexford
    Cavan v Fermanagh
    Kildare vLouth . This one is touch and go. If its in Newbridge, Louth have a better chance than if the game is moved to Portlaoise for safety reasons. It shouldn't be but I know there are issues with the ground in Newbridge...

No stand out ties.

I wouldnt be so sure about those predictions, Longford had a very good win against Limerick over the weekend & are playing at home too. On top of that I wasnt overly impressed with Wexford on Sunday, Meath disposed of them fairly easily in the end.

Also the last time Cavan played Fermanagh it couldnt have tighter & since then Fermanagh have beaten the Div.2 runners up down in Mullingar. Wouldnt call that one either.

And finally, I dont know how you can come to the conclusion that Derry are definitely going to beat Down at home. Down already beat them there recently murdering them in the second half. On top of this I felt Down played very well against Donegal & had they been more clinical might have won that match. They had Donegal on the ropes at certain stages.

Down & Tyrone are the two best teams in the qualifiers at the moment imo having both only been knocked out by the All Ireland champions.

The rest of the ties pick themselves

Again... this just shows the unfairness of this championship yet again.
    Roscommon are last team to play C ship on 16 June and against Mayo. No. 2 in the country. And now drawn against Tyrone. Probably No. 6 in the country.
    Game over. Ball burst for that county's team and supporters for the year. All that training for what?
    IMO provincial competitions should play off in spring. And have a champs league format in the Summer. Where all teams get 3 games with strong, medium and weak teams in each group.

Was there a lower tier football championship along the lines of the Christy Ring/Nicky Rackard cup a few years ago ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I fear for Louth and the backlash they will get from Kildare after that horrific defeat yesterday.

Was there a lower tier football championship along the lines of the Christy Ring/Nicky Rackard cup a few years ago ??
    there was
    Tommy Murphy Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 9 FrToddUnxious

There was yes for about 5 yrs... teams who exited very early played off against each other during the summer... stopped in 2008 I think. Only had about 8 teams in it

has anyone info on the reasoning behind the home advantage allocation or was it just random?

Little Pea wrote: »
    I fear for Louth and the backlash they will get from Kildare after that horrific defeat yesterday.

If I was part of a Louth team, I wouldn't be losing any sleep. They beat them by 5-6 pts a couple of years ago in the Championship.

I dont know tbh, I think this is the end of the road for this Kildare management team, since 2011 they have regressed imo. They've taken two severe beatings in their last two campaigns. Coming out against Dublin in the second half on Sunday they looked like they were already beaten, the players dont seem to be responding to McGeeny anymore. I wouldnt write them off but I think Louth will feel they are there for the taking & if they put in a performance they can win.

Last year in the qualifiers Limerick should have beaten them in Portlaoise were it not for Limerick allowing them to run the length of the pitch without a single foul & score in the last minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Well hopefully Louth will come through , but with our Goalie suspended , two players leaving for the states we are up against it already I feel.

I agree with the point made above in relation to the management team of Kildare, surely Kierans time is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

has anyone info on the reasoning behind the home advantage allocation or was it just random?

There would have been a separate draw for each tie for home advantage.

Two repeat Ulster clashes, that's the last thing people want to see. Teams that had played before used to be kept apart but it was done away with a few years ago because it was apparently overcomplicating the draw, so you're left with this mess. Would it really be that hard to keep teams that had played previously apart from each other through the qualifier rounds. Why have it for the All-Ireland quarters but not for the qualifiers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Didnt hear the draw but I assume it was first team out gets home advantage. That's how it worked for the hurling qualifiers anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Could have a lot of Ulster sides in the last eight this year. Why aren't Leitrim given the week off? bit much playing three weeks in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Kildare are not good enough to back lash anyone. Louth could well win this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Didnt hear the draw but I assume it was first team out gets home advantage. That's how it worked for the hurling qualifiers anyhow.

It was beaten teams in one pot, 1st round winners in another. One taken from each and put into a 3rd pot, first team drawn got home advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Derry V Down the pick of next weekends games for a TV game. Although KK V Tipp in hurling will surely be televised Sat evening so maybe one game @5p.m and the other @7.
    Sunday TV time slots taken up with provincial finals afaik

Hidalgo wrote: »
    it doesnt seem to follow any pattern so it could well be the way.

It used to be "strongest" team played away which one year showed itsself to be a farce when the then very strong Derry team was deemed to be weaker than Cavan, because obviously having a whole heap of provincial titles from pre-history is very relevant to current team form!

from gaa.ie:

Why are the matches split over two weekends? Is this the norm? Taught they were all played on the one weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

GAA accumulators are the hardest in Sport - but here goes!

Clare v Laois
    Derry v Down
    Leitrim v Armagh
    Roscommon v Tyrone
    Galway v Waterford
    Longford v Wexford
    Cavan v Fermanagh
    Kildare v Louth

Advertisement