Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&I Lions v Wallabies, Test 2 Match Thread, Sat June 29, 1105am

Options
  • 27-06-2013 7:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭

Date: Saturday, June 29
    Venue: Docklands Stadium (Etihad Stadium), Melbourne
    Kick-off: 20.05 AEST (11.05 BST, 10.05 GMT)
    Weather: 11°C. Closed roof.
    Referee: Craig Joubert (South Africa)
    Assistant referees: Chris Pollock (New Zealand), Romain Poite (France)
    TMO: Ben Skeen (New Zealand)

British and Irish Lions: 15 Leigh Halfpenny, 14 Tommy Bowe, 13 Brian O'Driscoll, 12 Jonathan Davies, 11 George North, 10 Jonathan Sexton, 9 Ben Youngs, 8 Jamie Heaslip, 7 Sam Warburton (c), 6 Dan Lydiate, 5 Geoff Parling, 4 Alun Wyn Jones, 3 Adam Jones, 2 Tom Youngs, 1 Makovina Vunipola.

Replacements: 16 Richard Hibbard, 17 Ryan Grant, 18 Dan Cole, 19 Tom Croft, 20 Sean O'Brien, 21 Conor Murray, 22 Owen Farrell, 23 Alex Cuthbert.

Australia: 15 Kurtley Beale, 14 Israel Folau, 13 Adam Ashley-Cooper, 12 Christian Leali'ifano, 11 Joe Tomane, 10 James O'Connor, 9 Will Genia, 8 Wycliff Palu, 7 Michael Hooper, 6 Ben Mowen, 5 James Horwill (c), 4 Kane Douglas, 3 Ben Alexander, 2 Stephen Moore, 1 Benn Robinson.

Replacements: 16 Saia Fainga'a, 17 James Slipper, 18 Sekope Kepu, 19 Rob Simmons, 20 Liam Gill, 21 Nick Phipps, 22 Rob Horne, 23 Jesse Mogg.

After a first test match in which Warren Gatland would have been the happier of the 2 coaches only because his side actually came away with the victory, we move on to the crucial 2nd test.

To the surprise of many, Gatland has showed real bottle in dropping the widely criticised Phillips from the team altogether. Sources close to the team (Danthefan) had been picking a demotion from the starting XV, but it’s a bit of shock not to see him on the team sheet at all. And he can have no complaints! If there was one position last week where Australia was head & shoulders above the Lions it was at scrumhalf, where Genia gave yet another tour de force. Congratulations to Ireland’s ever-improving Conor Murray who will almost certainly see test-match game-time off the bench.

It’s less of a surprise to see Lydiate take over the 6 jersey. He’s long been a favourite of Gatland with his strong tackling, and his job will be to get Genia - and if he does that the Lions will be toasting an early series victory. However with the Loss of POC, and Croft moving to the reserves, the Aussies may sniff a chance to attack the Lions lineout.

In other changes, we will all be delighted to see Bowe run out at 14, Cuthbert might have scored a decisive try last weekend, but Tommy is a class apart, especially defensively where Cuthbert can be exposed, while injury has forced Parling and Vunipola into the starting XV to replace the very impressive POC & Corbisiero respectively. Look for the Wallabies to even target the Lions scrum, which would be one for the books! A final mention must go to SOB, who has rightly earned a place on the bench. With 20 minutes to go, and a tiring Aussie team, SOB seems a much more impact substitution than Lydiate. .ak has already promised to issue a lifetime ban to the rugby forum to anyone who questions SOB’s place in the team. You have been warned.

Turning to Aussie, and only injury seems to have forced Deans’ hand, although Beale may have been promoted to the starting XV regardless. I’m personally delighted for Leali’ifano that he has recovered from his awful knock last week (both literally & figuratively) to get another crack at the Lions, and potentially show that Australia do have at least one decent goalkicker. Robbie will also be relieved that AAC is available to play, he’s under-rated, and is somewhat the glue that holds the Aussie backline together in his role as elder statesman.

Deans makes donkeys look like the most malleable creatures on earth, so it’s no surprise whatsoever that JOC has been retained at 10, it’s a do-or-die match for Robbie, but at least he’s the master of his own destiny for the moment, and if JOC flops, Robbie can blame no-one but himself.

Otherwise, Tomane fills the vacant left wing role, and the exciting prospect Jesse Mogg is brought onto the bench. He can provide a goalkicking role if CL or KB get the yips, but in addition has a prolific punt, and is reminiscent of his almost-namesake Hogg on attack. I can only assume George Smith is still injured, as I was expecting him to return straight to the starting line-up. It’s a pity.

For this test match, the Lions need to first and foremost shut down Genia, but they also need to be more ruthless as it would be fair to say they did not really exploit the multiple disruptions to the Aussie backline last week, Cuthbert’s try excepted. They also will need to mark Folau like a hawk, and even then I won’t be surprised if this is not enough on 1 or 2 occasions. Picked by many who follow SXV as a potential star of the series, Folau did not disappoint last week. The Lions probably need to offer a little more variety on attack themselves, and hopefully Young’s better passing game will give Sexton some extra space. I will once again be on Sexton-BOD loop watch. Some ball off the tail of the lineout would be no harm either.

For Australia, they firstly need to kick their goals! They also should look to exploit the wide spaces and Tomane’s and Folau’s skillset more, and there would be no harm in contesting the lineouts. Whatever happens, they can leave no regrets on the field and must push for victory to keep the series alive. Lastly, they have to be disciplined, or they will rapidly see the game move out of sight in multiples of Leigh Halfpenny 3s.

Prediction: Once again, a very close game. It’s basically too close to call, but I’ll go with Aussie by single digits in order to set up a 3rd test clincher.

Enjoy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

but I’ll go with Aussie by single digits in order to set up a 3rd test clincher.

Make for fantastic theatre for sure, but looking at that Aussie team objectively, really the Lions should be looking to post a win. On current form O'Connor is not an international standard pivot, the wallaby front-row is pretty poor technically and Hooper was disappointing in the 1st test. Granted Genia is a genius and Folau is a prodigy (hmmm hang on...) but this one's there for the taking for the Lions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

toomevara wrote: »
    Make for fantastic theatre for sure, but looking at that Aussie team objectively, really the Lions should be looking to post a win. On current form O'Connor is not an international standard pivot, the wallaby front-row is pretty poor technically and Hooper was disappointing in the 1st test. Granted Genia is a genius and Folau is a prodigy (hmmm hang on...) but this one's there for the taking for the Lions.

I take your point, but I'd hardly say Vunipola was a beacon of scrumming prowess when he came on last weekend. No doubt, JOC would be better placed elsewhere in the backline, but I'd expect Hooper to step up a gear this weekend, it was his first big match for a while.

The Aussies will be desperate, and from bitter experience myself I won't be expecting an easy Lions victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

I take your point, but I'd hardly say Vunipola was a beacon of scrumming prowess

+1 for sure, he was indeed, shall we say, less than titanic? I guess my point is an AB or a Bokke front row would eat him up, but he shouldn't be as exposed against the Wallabies (...cue complete implosion). As for O'Connor, well I just don't get it. A talented player, no mistake but I think if the Lions do the business on Saturday Deans refusal to even include the mercurial, erratic but inspired Cooper in the squad will have cost him his job and, more damagingly, the Wallabies the series. I don't know about you, but if the Lions were facing Cooper and Genia at the weekend I would be seriously worried..and more importantly the lions would be deeply concerned. As it is Genia is carrying O'Connor thus diluting his immense threat...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

JOC playing 10 is a major concern for the Aussie's. He was anonymous last week. He showed that he can't run a backline and his distribution is not of a quality outhalf. He may improve this week without the pressure of goal kicking but still playing out of position.

Big game needed by Mako. He suffered last week in the scrum.

Sexton will have quality fast ball. I'd say he'll have a stormer.

The crowd being about 90% Lions fans will make a difference. Rugby is non-existent in Melbourne with a crazy amount of Irish / English / Scottish / Welsh compared to Brisbane. With the roof in the stadium closed the noise will be immense. I also think the pressure has been lifted off the Lions shoulders and will maybe perform better.

It'll still be a tight game. The Wallabies now have a goal kicker in Leali'ifano. Still think the Lions can nick it. Lions by 3. Bring it on. Can't wait. Got tickets for the game too.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Great OP.

I think Tuilagi, Maitland and to a lesser extent Evans can feel hard done by. All of their positions taken up by Gatty's favourites who aren't playing well. Maybe he isn't as ruthless as we thought.

Other than that it's a far better team than last week. For both sides! Should be a cracker. Hope Youngs and Sexton click.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Shows a lot of balls by Gatland, this selection. Phillips isn't even in the 23, that sends a serious message, that no-one is immune, no-one's place is safe.

I see that Croft is covering 2nd row on the bench. Don't really get the attraction of Lydiate, he seems like a very defensive option there, though SOB coming off the bench is a nice option. Nice to see Bowe straight in there, that's some come-back for him this year.

The Aussie team is not as badly effected by injuries as it would have appeared last week. This is going to be tight. I feel that Australia have had the scales tipped in their favour by the loss of Corbisiero and POC.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Buer

.ak wrote: »
    Great OP.

I think Tuilagi, Maitland and to a lesser extent Evans can feel hard done by. All of their positions taken up by Gatty's favourites who aren't playing well. Maybe he isn't as ruthless as we thought.

Other than that it's a far better team than last week. For both sides! Should be a cracker. Hope Youngs and Sexton click.

I think it's a great selection. He's dropped Croft and Phillips, the two most criticised players from the first test who are among his favourites. Tuilagi has had one game since injury and, whilst having done very well, probably hasn't had enough training or experience to slot straight in.

I'd have said Maitland and Evans are among his favourites too but didn't get the nod.

Poor old Warren of Waikato is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭geekington

Delighted with the starting 15 - have wanted to see Sexton and Youngs start together since the tour started. If he gets fast ball to that backline it could be pretty special.

Will eat my hat a little as I have critised Murray in the past when I felt he was undeserving of the Ireland jersey but boy has he improved and served me wrong. Delighted for him.

I do worry about the breakdown as I'm not sure how clean our ball will be (i.e. Clear outs etc..) given the changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Happy that Phillips has been dropped. We should see a big game from Sexton now that he will (hopefully) be getting good service. Lydiate should be on Genia's ar*e all day, making a nuisance of himself. The decision to stick with JOC should help the Lions' cause too.

Vunipolo is a worry in the scrum but should be able to make up for some of it by carrying. I'd have swapped Murray and Youngs as I feel Youngs would provide a better impact off the bench but maybe the Lions will start quickly.

I think it will be the Lions by less than 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭crisco10

The way I see Lydiate's selection, it's straight forward really. Man-mark Genia. I reckon Lydiate has been told that if we don't see Genia all game he will have done his job.

Deans has assisted in the effectiveness of this tactic by picking JOC at 10 too, means if they neutralise Genia, Aus are struggling.

Also, I think the Lions might try and drive the pace early in the game which would be facilitated by Youngs inviting Sexton flat. Also Bowe will look for more work than Cuthbert, which should lead to a stronger tempo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

General concensus on here is that its a better team but I would argue that the Lions are seriously underpowered upfront with Mako on in front row and also less grunt behind with POC gone the scrums could be turned on their head with the Aus having the upper hand or at least not struggling. With the changes Lydiate was a shoe in as the Aus cannont be allowed to get a head of steam up and dominate in and around the breakdown fringes

The Lions arent going to change their game plan hugely even with Youngs at scrum half. Youngs can struggle of the ball isnt good and on the front foot and may not give him the platform to release the backs which looks far more threatning with Bowe on the wing.

A replacement at say 60mins of Cole, Grant, Croft, SOB for Mako, Jones, AWJ/Parling and Lydiate is not exactly going to frighten the Aus upfront.

With 20 minutes to go, and a tiring Aussie team, SOB seems a much more impact substitution than Lydiate. .ak has already promised to issue a lifetime ban to the rugby forum to anyone who questions SOB’s place in the team. You have been warned.

But on a positive note, if anybody makes it to the Woolshed for this game I'll buy a round if Seanie scores a try*!

* Must be a hat-trick of tries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Fair play to Gatland. Well done Conor Murray too, well deserved spot on the bench

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Bogota

Murray's improvement over the last 12 months has been astounding. Before he was ponderous, slow and indecisive. There were times when I thought he shouldn't be starting for Ireland. Now, I think hes one of the first names down on an Irish team sheet. Well deserved bench spot.

Webbs wrote: »
    General concensus on here is that its a better team but I would argue that the Lions are seriously underpowered upfront with Mako on in front row and also less grunt behind with POC gone the scrums could be turned on their head with the Aus having the upper hand or at least not struggling. With the changes Lydiate was a shoe in as the Aus cannont be allowed to get a head of steam up and dominate in and around the breakdown fringes

The Lions arent going to change their game plan hugely even with Youngs at scrum half. Youngs can struggle of the ball isnt good and on the front foot and may not give him the platform to release the backs which looks far more threatning with Bowe on the wing.

A replacement at say 60mins of Cole, Grant, Croft, SOB for Mako, Jones, AWJ/Parling and Lydiate is not exactly going to frighten the Aus upfront.

Obviously having Corbs and POC injured is a big blow, especially in the tight, but atleast we have options.

The key to the game is the two Welsh flankers. They need to up their game massively and destroy Aus at the breakdown. Clean, quick, go forward ball is key if we no longer have the power advantage upfront.

btw, the well done Gatland was in relation to dropping Phillips, the rest of the selection is pretty awful

While I don't rate Maitland at all, I think he's a better bench option that Cuthbert and Croft as the replacement backrow is wrong on a number of levels but it does show just how poor Evans and Gray have been on tour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

Tight five could struggle, please jesus god no lock gets injured, but as other poster pointed out, not Australias main weapon so unlikely to really get screwed. As ever a lot of stuff will come down to refs interpretation. Around the park though Youngs in an Bowe back are very exciting.

SOB to come on at 60 and tear away!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

D-Day for Deans, If the Aussies go down tomorrow so does he effectively.

Prior to the series he hung his hat on JOC at fly half and he isn't a man for changing.

It was exposed as Australia's tactical achilles heel and Gatland has brought in Lydiate to try and effectively shut down the one playmaker in the team. I don't think it is as simple as that though as Beale at 15 will cause the Lions problems and I also expect to see Leali'ifano stand at first receiver at certain times and improve the way the Aussies get the ball wide. Ioane was a passenger last week, appearing to carry his injury into the game, so Tomane will strengthen the back line further.

btw, the well done Gatland was in relation to dropping Phillips, the rest of the selection is pretty awful

:confused:

What parts?

For me, he has picked exactly the starting XV I would have except for Tuilagi at 12 which I can understand given Davies has had an alright tour, has played the first test and Tuilagi has little game time.

Buer wrote: »
    :confused:

What parts?

For me, he has picked exactly the starting XV I would have except for Tuilagi at 12 which I can understand given Davies has had an alright tour, has played the first test and Tuilagi has little game time.

rest of selection is probably a bad choice of words, but the selection of Vunipola, Cuthbert and Croft are wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Webbs wrote: »

I agree in that while the team has been strengthened in some areas, it has been weakened in others. I do fear for our set-piece if Mako keeps folding and we have mixed lineouts. The Aussies will thrive off the extra ball.

Big game needed from AWJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

the rest of the selection is pretty awful

Like last week, the cover (or rather, lack thereof) across positions from the bench is deeply confusing.

May not matter, its about how Jouberts been read by both teams, looks like being one for the backs. Which is extremely exciting.

rest of selection is probably a bad choice of words, but the selection of Vunipola, Cuthbert and Croft are wrong

Don't think he had much choice with Vunipola. Aside from his cameo last week, he has a really good tour. Grant has been average and was stuffed against the Brumbies. It's also down to 4th choice loosehead so not to much they could do about it.

Cuthbert and Croft, whilst I don't agree with them, they're bench players. If things go according to plan, Croft and SOB coming on with 15-20 minutes left could be a brilliant move. It's a big risk but there's definitely logic in it.

Cuthbert won't get on the field unless there's an injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

.ak wrote: »
    Great OP.

Maitland instead of who? Cuthbert?

Buer wrote: »
    I think it's a great selection. He's dropped Croft and Phillips, the two most criticised players from the first test who are among his favourites. Tuilagi has had one game since injury and, whilst having done very well, probably hasn't had enough training or experience to slot straight in.

I'd have said Maitland and Evans are among his favourites too but didn't get the nod.

Poor old Warren of Waikato is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't!

Yeah, as we all know, the coach will never please 100% in a national setup... Multiply those expectations by 4 and it gets even worse So, he's done a great job, but a lot of the players pick themselves.

Also, was Phillips dropped? I can't see him being left out of the 23 all together. Injured I'd say, no?

mystic86 wrote: »
    Maitland instead of who? Cuthbert?

Aye. Cuthbert has been a good finisher on this tour but that's it. He can only cover the wing also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Anybody see AWJ and Parling going the distance with Croft and SOB on for Lydiate and Warburton to run amok?

If that was the plan I suppose it might make some sense to have Croft as emergency lock cover.

Parling will do the 80, he's got plenty of gas in the tank at this stage. Not so sure about AWJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I think Phillips was available, he just had not trained all week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

dub_skav wrote: »
    Anybody see AWJ and Parling going the distance with Croft and SOB on for Lydiate and Warburton to run amok?

If that was the plan I suppose it might make some sense to have Croft as emergency lock cover.

And who is going to to the duties in securing possesion?

Advertisement