Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAF Regiment win military comps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Well, I never claimed to be young, and I retired from the Army in 2000, aged 54.

Do the math.

tac

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

and what colour was the gymnasium roof?

In fairness, I can't remember the name of my CO in Basic, I can't even remember my drill sergeants and they were God over me every day for three months. (Except for DS Ford, he was a damned tank)

*IF* he did P Coy he'll remember the name of everybody from the Colour Sergeant to the Regimental Blanket Stacker.

I'd just like to point out at this natural break that in the British Army we don't call our drill sergeants 'DS'.

The term drill sergeant is a regimental honorific, not a rank. We say that 'our drill sergeant was Sgt XYZ.......'

The US forces, if the many movies I have seen bear any relationship to actuality, DO address their drill sergeants as 'YES/NO DRILL SERGEANT!', usually after having a new one ripped.

'DS' means - Detective Sergeant, or, in the British Army, any member of the Directing Staff in a military exercise, as in 'the DS is to comprise WO2 [CSM] XYZ, C/S X & Y, Sgt X & Y and Cpls X,Y,Z. They are to act as DS in Exercise OP TENDRIL.'

I am rapidly forming the opinion that all responders to the original post - me included - are having smoke blown up our nether regions.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

tac foley wrote: »
    I'd just like to point out at this natural break that in the British Army we don't call our drill sergeants 'DS'.

The term drill sergeant is a regimental honorific, not a rank. We say that 'our drill sergeant was Sgt XYZ.......'

The US forces, if the many movies I have seen bear any relationship to actuality, DO address their drill sergeants as 'YES/NO DRILL SERGEANT!', usually after having a new one ripped.

'DS' means - Detective Sergeant, or, in the British Army, any member of the Directing Staff in a military exercise, as in 'the DS is to comprise WO2 [CSM] XYZ, C/S X & Y, Sgt X & Y and Cpls X,Y,Z. They are to act as DS in Exercise OP TENDRIL.'

I am rapidly forming the opinion that all responders to the original post - me included - are having smoke blown up our nether regions.

tac

Drill instructor seems to be the main one nowadays. Doesn't even need to be a sergeant. They can be corporals or equivalent to do the drill instructors course.

tac foley wrote: »

tac

Standard Walt answer to a question like "Who was on the training staff in xyz year in P Coy?" would be "Not allowed talk about it for operational reasons...signed the MOD Official Secrets Act " and other such bolloxology.

• Advertisement

Yup.

I also post on arrse.co.uk where we are well-used to outing people with their imaginary military exploits.

You'll notice, I hope, the marked lack of response from our OP? I have no doubt that anybody who has actually served would have no difficulty in remembering their regimental number............

I will, of course, make a fulsome apology if he provides the necessary numbers that we can check for veracity.

Here are the names of two of the Basic Training Staff who shouted at me at the REME Depot, Poperinghe Barracks, Arborfield, Berks in 1967, AND the major i/c Basic Training Wing -

L/Cpl Ron Selwood ex Coldstream Guards

Cpl Alan Gillanders ex Royal Scots

and Major Burgess.

tac

Don't forget posing with a blacked-out face and an airsoft Uzi....or posting up a pic robbed from teh internet.

I beleive the British term for such behaviour is "Cumpering". ;)

Don't forget that there are ways of checking if an image has been taken off the internet...

Can anybody help me post a pic here?

PM me if you are willing to do so.

TIA

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

chopper6 wrote: »
    Don't forget posing with a blacked-out face and an airsoft Uzi....or posting up a pic robbed from teh internet.

I beleive the British term for such behaviour is "Cumpering". ;)

It's amazing, if you've claimed to be in the army, someone will always be able to verify or deny it for you. I reckon with the 6 lads in my sigs store, we can make contact with 3/4's of all the regiments in the BA, through our facebook contacts alone. You can't hide if you've been walting!

• Advertisement

289692.jpg

Typical walt pretending to have served in Para Reg.

Please note:

*Unshaped Beret.

*Unshaven.

*'Group photographs' ripped out of Bravo Two Zero etc on wall behind him.

*Mother's bedroom backdrop with unregimental mug of tea on locker behind him.

*Sink to right of pic and door with lock on the left

*Stable belt used for holding up trousers bizarely worn with Old-style DPM goretex jacket instead of para smock etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

And look how he does his hood! Imagine walking onto any camp like that. The MPGS would have words before the RSM saw you!

By the way, I have the exact same sink/door set up here in my grot. Don't be hating on the 'en suite'!!

Walter gets Punked!

Quite long but well worth the read:

http://www.parachuteregiment-hsf.org/Dave_Reeve.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

discus wrote: »
    And look how he does his hood! Imagine walking onto any camp like that. The MPGS would have words before the RSM saw you!

By the way, I have the exact same sink/door set up here in my grot. Don't be hating on the 'en suite'!!

Living a life of luxury. Don't have a sink in my room.:(

Living a life of luxury. Don't have a sink in my room.:(

You have a room? I didn't get a room to myself until after my transfer and on my first posting. I 'lived' in the room in Chester Castle that is now the museum of the Cheshire Regiment and Carabiniers.....happy days, eh?

After my first tour in NI I went to Saighton Camp.....

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Posted on tac's behalf due to technical issues; and with apologies for the delay this evening in doing so.
    tac foley wrote:
    This photo of me was taken by a Russian officer when we were detained by elements of the artilley back in 1982. I was then a S/Sgt in the British Military Mission to the Group of Soviet Forces in Germany - BRIXMIS for short. We got chased by the vehicle you can see behind the car - a GaZ-66 radio truck, and detained by the Sovs that we were, ah, liaising with. Hence I'm looking really pissed off. The strange-looking handraily-thing you can see at the left of the photo is the HAND RAIL antenna on a BTR-60 PA[Command] APC that eventually, after many hours, hauled us out of the two-foot deep muddy field we had ended up in, in our effort to get away....

I can't furnish other details of the detention to you because they are copyright to the BRIXMIS association site. This photo appeared out of nowhere a couple of years ago at an association meeting, where we often meet our former adversaries and remember all the good old bad times.
    amt4B60.jpeg

Thank you, Lemming - I owe you a pint of Theakstons/Sam Smiths/John Smiths or the appropriate Irish equivalent!!

Best

tac

How flime ties!! Two and a bit years later I was the Captain Ops Offr in a RAF Squadron on the Dutch German border.

OK, Mr OP, now let's see one of YOUR memorable pix!

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

thats a fantastic pic Tac. Your mucker in the back seems to find it much funnier than you do. the BRIXMIS thread on arrse is a great read.

Guess he caught me with my sense of humour around my ankles - the guy taking the photograph had just told his pal to try and crowbar open our trunk while the tour officer was distracted.

tac

• Advertisement

those sneaky commies. they never play by the rules.

Beano wrote: »
    thats a fantastic pic Tac. Your mucker in the back seems to find it much funnier than you do. the BRIXMIS thread on arrse is a great read.

If you are an Irish speaker you can find me on arrse.....................just look for the translation of my family name from the original Irish. ;)

tac

PS - I also post on -

sigforum.com
    gunboards.com
    muzzleloadingforum.com
    swissrifles.com
    airgunbbs.com
    vcrai.com
    northwestfirearms.com
    canadiangunnutz.com
    largescalecentral.com
    Three channels on Youtube - tac's guns, trains, and cars
    ...and a few others.

i'm been a lurker on arrse for a long time so i made the connection a while ago. I think you mentioned it on here before. I'm not stalking you, honest :)

...so you say.....................................;/

tac

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

So far I have learned on this thread

1) The RAF Reg are not are not as good as army infantry regiments, even though man for man they supply most men to the SAS and have more cambrian patrol medals then any unit in the UK armed forces.

2) Their fitness as a unit is not great, even though they hold the world speed marching record, which the Royal Marines have failed to beat many times.

3) Their training isnt very good, even though at 32 weeks it (along with the RMs) is the longest in NATO.

4) RAF Paras are not proper paras even though they do a harder version of P company along with some potential SAS recruits, who dont have wings

5) That they are not very bright, even though you have to score much higher to get into the RAF reg then the army infantry, fitness entry tests are also harder then army infantry.

6) They never see action, even though they have a pathfinder type medium patrol role and have served in offensive airborne ops with UK Special forces

7) What next ? They are crap at drill ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk0qyBiqdAE

Thanks, its been an education.

this is the mindset you are dealing with : From the RAF Regiment forum.

Firstly, massive congratulations to 15 Sqn RAF Regt Sniper team for winning the Sniper team competition at Bisley this week.

Secondly...... Despite beating the Army's best (not to mention the Marines etc), the 15 Sqn lads were told to report for prize givings in front of the rest of the Army, Navy and RAF only to watch the trophy go to the second place team! The Rifles! Who deserve some credit for questioning this, only to be told "its an Army competition"

So far I have learned on this thread

1) The RAF Reg are not are not as good as army infantry regiments, even though man for man they supply most men to the SAS and have more cambrian patrol medals then any unit in the UK armed forces.

2) Their fitness as a unit is not great, even though they hold the world speed marching record, which the Royal Marines have failed to beat many times.

3) Their training isnt very good, even though at 32 weeks it (along with the RMs) is the longest in NATO.

4) RAF Paras are not proper paras even though they do a harder version of P company along with some potential SAS recruits, who dont have wings

5) That they are not very bright, even though you have to score much higher to get into the RAF reg then the army infantry, fitness entry tests are also harder then army infantry.

6) They never see action, even though they have a pathfinder type medium patrol role and have served in offensive airborne ops with UK Special forces

7) What next ? They are crap at drill ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk0qyBiqdAE

Thanks, its been an education.

this is the mindset you are dealing with : From the RAF Regiment forum.

Firstly, massive congratulations to 15 Sqn RAF Regt Sniper team for winning the Sniper team competition at Bisley this week.

Secondly...... Despite beating the Army's best (not to mention the Marines etc), the 15 Sqn lads were told to report for prize givings in front of the rest of the Army, Navy and RAF only to watch the trophy go to the second place team! The Rifles! Who deserve some credit for questioning this, only to be told "its an Army competition"

Well you claim to have done P Coy...how did you find they measured up alongside the other candidates?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

I dont understand your question.

P company is the name given to the various tests potential airborne soldiers under take before parachute training, as I said the RAF version is the same but also includes swimming tests.

I will post pics in time, at present my printer/scanner is not working.

Heres is a film of one of the battles the RAF Regiment fought in Iraq.

Quote OS119

"the RAF Regiment is, within the RAF, an elite* in terms of just bog standard weapons handling and infantry skills - the mover, radar tech, ATCer etc.. has no real need to be proficient in such, he needs to know how to defend himself in extremis, but its not something they practice very often or give much thought to: a couple of days a year ****ing about on the range with the war paint on and its time for tea and medals in the mess"

Just to correct you OS199, the RAF Regiment flight (same as a platoon) in the film below lost 6 men in one tour in Iraq, what have you ever done ?

Posters who claim the RAF Reg dont do aggressive patrols insult the memory of the fallen, the RAF Regiment have lost 34 men in Iraq and Afghanistan (3x more then the Royal Irish Regiment).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwEK11nC-ao

Another good thing about the RAF Regiment is you dont get all the sectarian crap you get in army regiments like the Royal Irish Regiment.

Just little reminder of what is required to wear wings on your sleeve - Army/RM version - Chapter & Verse (although AGAIs still refer to 5 AB):

43.220. Initial Parachute Training

a. General

(1) Volunteers for service with The Parachute Regiment, 5 Airborne Brigade, and relevant TA units carry out Pre-Parachute Selection training (PPS) at ITC Catterick. Volunteers for service with Special Forces, Regular and TA, carry out their own selection process which is the responsibility of HQ DSF. All personnel are then sent to No 1 PTS for their Basic Parachute Course (BPC).

(2) Those personnel serving with RM and selected Army units in support of 3 Commando Brigade (with a parachute requirement) who have already passed the Commando Selection Course, in lieu of PPS, are eligible to attend the BPC (see paragraph 43.184).

(3) All other personnel wishing to attend a BPC must pass PPS at ITC Catterick.
    b. PPS

(1) Aim. The aim of PPS is to test under conditions of stress the courage, military aptitude, fitness, endurance and determination of those volunteering to serve with The Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces.

(2) PPS Part 1. PPS Part 1 lasts 3 weeks and is an optional Bde unit pre-course build up. It develops stamina prior to students attending PPS Part 2. Individuals are strongly advised to attend a pre-course build up rather than joining PPS Part 2 direct.

(3) PPS Part 2. PPS Part 2 is carried out at ITC Catterick. The course lasts 3 weeks. The initial 2 weeks involves progressive fitness training prior to Selection Weeks.

c. BPC. BPC lasts 4 weeks and is carried out under RAF instructors at No I PTS, RAF Brize Norton.

43.221. Physical Fitness. The training and selection procedures include arduous physical work, PT, cross country movements and marches, requiring a greater expenditure of physical energy than is normally required in other peace time training.

a. Pre Course Standards. All volunteers will be expected to complete the BFT on day one of PPS Part 2 in 9 mins 30 secs and the ICKY in 1 hr 36 mins. Failure to pass either test will result in immediate RTU.

b. Pre Course Preparations. All volunteers will be running and marching with weights of 451bs. This includes 3Olbs in a Bergen, the remainder carried as SLR/SA and webbing. It is essential that stamina is developed beforehand, by gym work and circuit training to enable the volunteer to run 5 miles wearing webbing without pause and to march 10 miles in under 2 hours. In general volunteers should arrive for the course in a good state of fitness and, most importantly, injury free.

43.222. Course only parachuting.

a. A limited number of vacancies may be available on any one course for course only applicants (the course comprises both pre-parachute selection and basic parachute course). Applicants are to submit Annex M to this Chapter which is to be enfaced 'Course Only' through their Commanding Officers direct to PPS Coy, ITC Catterick; copy to HQ 5 AB Bde. The justification must be clearly stated on an attachment slip to the Annex.

b. All bids for such course vacancies will be closely scrutinised by HQ 5 AB Bde and PPS Coy, ITC Catterick.

c. On successful completion of the course, volunteers will be awarded the parachute badge without wings and return to the parent unit.

d. They will not be eligible for parachute pay except for the duration of the course. They may at a later date volunteer for service with airborne forces without undergoing further selection.

43.223. Refresher Training. Volunteers who are already qualified parachutists will be required to undergo refresher training before again carrying out parachuting duties if:

a. They have not parachuted within the previous 12 months.

b. They have suffered any injury causing medical downgrading or change in PULHHEEMS profile regardless of time span.

Annex M para 5 is to state the date of the last military parachute descent and is to be endorsed 'Refresher Training' before being submitted as described above. Each applicant will be treated as an individual case. The specific refresher training requirement will be assessed and individual instructions issued.

Disposal on Ending of Tour of Duty

43.224. Applications for disposal instructions for officers and soldiers nearing the completion of a tour of duty are to be initiated by OCs units at least 8 months before their tours are due to be completed. When a tour of duty is ended for any reason disposal is to be effected as stated in paras 43.225 and 43.226 as applicable.

43.225. Officers and soldiers posted to a unit of the Parachute Regiment. Officers and soldiers will be posted at the end of their tour of duty as follows:

a. Officers. By the officer's MOD personnel branch.

b. Soldiers. By the appropriate MRO.

43.226. Officers and soldiers in regiments or corps other than infantry:

a. Those officers and soldiers may be permitted to remain in their own units or be posted to other units of the airborne forces, filling establishment vacancies as non parachutists.

b. If required to return to normal regimental duty they will be reposted by the officer's MOD personnel branch for officers, and for soldiers serving at home by appropriate MRO, or by the appropriate theatre if they are serving overseas.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cking457

I joined the RAF Regt in 2004, basic at Honington. At week 18 I left as I damaged ligaments. I left the RAF Regt. I could have stayed in, but that would have meant being back-trooped several weeks as no places were available and the time taken to recover, also being immature at the time I decided to leave. Regret that to this day. Anyway, crying over.

In May 2005, I joined ATR Lichfield to join the Royal Signals and went on to Blandford Camp phase 2and then 2 Sigs, York at Imphall Barracks. I went on Herrick 6 and Telic 13 and left last year. I loved both and can compare the two from a basic training point of view, as I didn't finish all my training with RAF Reg.

I can say that the RAF Reg PGAC course, pre-basic was pretty nails on the fitness side, a jack wagon would follow you and if it caught up, you were off the course, simple. All this with a civvie wearing a 35lb bergan, felt like a ton to me at the time. Crawling over razor sharp rocks leaving a scarlet trail, and a few kicks to the ribs whilst talking in the tent with your newly acquired buddie for the night. The Army not so, seemed very relaxed, threw a few flash bangs, we all laughed and a team game.

RAF Reg basic was such a wake up, I have never blown out of my arse so much and I was in the fitter Stream 1. It was very strict (maybe I thought as its the RAF it wouldn't be so) and the field exercises lasted day and night, (My Army basic was to sleep all day and move by night, good tactics but no sleep deprivation, even on Ex-Final Fling) Army basic training, seemed like I was just going through the motion and with a 100% pass rate didn't seem to special on Pass Out Day, the only thing I seem to remember was the usual no time for yourself, but compared to the RAF Regt basic, it does not compare. Physically that is or mentally.

Both had fantastic instructors I have to say, but sorry to disappoint any pongo's, and I was once one of them (pongo that is) but 70% of Army basic recruits would not last 5 minutes in RAF Regt basic, esp on excercise. The RAF Reg has a 60% failure rate when I was going through training, whether through injury and people who can' hack it. The Army has a very high pass rate, in the 90's I believe and I too don't believe its because they have been trained better during the basic stage. As for what the RAF Reg do, and do it well, its their job, same as the Army does a good job, whether that be Signals, REME, Engineer's and so on (Maybe RLC aswell;-)). I think someone already mentioned 'Horses for Courses'. As said, I loved them both, but I wouldn't underestimate RAF Regt capabilities. Are they elite? No, not really, but they are trained harder.

Lets not get into how sh1t each other are. I have met some right mongs in both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,114 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

That totally doesn't come across like someone made a second account just to post that..

Advertisement