Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAF Regiment win military comps

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Infact during ww2 if the british army came up against an equal sized enemy force they normally lost

That would probably apply to all armies. One is supposed to have an advantage before going up against an enemy sized force.
    I wasn’t interested in unsubstantiated waffle ….

You are asking for something which cannot be provided. There is no quantifiable 'ranking' system to units.

[Mod]
    wondered how long it would be before you defaulted to that, if you were black you would be playing the race card

And that gets you your warning. I must admit to be thinking along similar lines as Tac and suggest that you properly evaluate the intended result of any further posts by you on this thread.
    [/Mod]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

SPPL wrote: »

........ infact during ww2 if the british army came up against an equal sized enemy force they normally lost ( i was shocked at this stat!)

That would probably apply to all armies. One is supposed to have an advantage before going up against an enemy sized force.

I'd like to see the source for original quote - certainly in the Italian campaign the British, US, Canadian, New Zealander, Polish, French and even the Brazilian units of all sizes met (attacked) and defeated similar sized or even numerically superior German units under pretty difficult topographical, meteorological and logistical conditions.

In terms of military personnel in the country the Allies had significantly more than the Germans and Italians, but there was near equivalence with respect to infantry numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Jawgap wrote: »
    I'd like to see the source for original quote - certainly in the Italian campaign the British, US, Canadian, New Zealander, Polish, French and even the Brazilian units of all sizes met (attacked) and defeated similar sized or even numerically superior German units under pretty difficult topographical, meteorological and logistical conditions.

In terms of military personnel in the country the Allies had significantly more than the Germans and Italians, but there was near equivalence with respect to infantry numbers.

Monte Cassino instantly comes to mind...

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ChicagoJoe

Jawgap wrote: »

I'm certainly no Nazi admirer but it must have been against Hitler Youth units or what was called the Stomach Battalions of old men forced into service towards the end of the war. Now the regular German army not to mention the Paratroopers or the dreaded Waffen SS would be another matter altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ChicagoJoe

Excellent stuff from the guys of the RAF regiment. Air Force personnel in general are often underated, in America the other services often tease the USAF as the " chair force " :) I see from the OP that the RAF reg. guys have to score higher in the education/IQ test which would make them have more adaptablity/ingenuity than other regiments of whom it could be said wouldn't the brightest of light bulbs such as the British Parachute regiment (who make up most of the SAS I believe? ). As a yank I actually took pleasure in seeing the US Rangers been shown up after bragging about been the " best of the best " :D

Well done again RAF regiment your an elite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

ChicagoJoe wrote: »
    I'm certainly no Nazi admirer but it must have been against Hitler Youth units or what was called the Stomach Battalions of old men forced into service towards the end of the war. Now the regular German army not to mention the Paratroopers or the dreaded Waffen SS would be another matter altogether.

Not when they forced the Gustav Line, landed at Salerno or Anzio / Nettuno.

At Cassino they fought both jaeger (light infantry) and fallschirmjager formations - not to mention mountain / alpine troops, panzergrenadiers as well as the usual assortment of 'marching divisions.'

....and during Operation Olive, the assault on the Gothic Line they took on trained mountain troops (at least two divisions) and forced the positions despite having being stripped of a goodly portion of their air support (to support the Dragoon / Anvil landings in southern France) and all their own mountain capable units (this was before 10th Mountain arrived in the US V Army).

The other not insignificant problem was the coalition nature of the forces - which made it very problematic for senior commanders to order even divisional commanders about given that in many cases those commanders had rights of appeal back to their own national governments.

Compare that to the German chain of command and the fact that you had some excellent and capable generals commanding from Kesselring down.

The idea that Allied soldiers were facing old men and boys in Italy should be confined to the same dustbin wherein you will find the similarly expressed notion that they were D-Day dodgers safely enjoying sunshine and vino while the 'real' fighting took place in NW Europe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

tac foley wrote: »
    The RAF Regiment is NOT part of SF, not way back when, not now and not in the future.

The problem with many members of the RAF Regiment is that they firmly believe that they are an elite, somehow 'special' organisation.

They do a great of job of being the RAF Regiment, but neither jump to work, nor operate in isolation as combat troops. Their role, as I'm sure you have read, is principally defensive, and not offensive.

'Walting' members of the RAF Regiment are responsible for their bad press among those us in the Army and RM - taken for what they are, they are a great bunch of lads.

Horses for courses, Sir.

An RAF Regiment Gunner telling a Royal Marine that they are equal in any way will have just one result. You'd be very lucky to recognise the Gunner as a human being.

tac

On the RAF website it has stated the RAF Regiment are an elite fighting force, fact.

Tac Foley quote

That is why they have a basic infantry role and the capacity to shoot down enemy aircraft using missiles.

They are also used in A'stan as camp protection, hence the role of exterior patrolling of the various camps, particularly Bastion.

As far as SFSG is concerned - The SFSG follows the general structure of an infantry battalion; it comprises an HQ company, four rifle companies (referred to as "strike" companies and designated A, B, C and F) and a support company. The SFSG is mainly drawn from 1st Battalion, The Parachute Regiment. The Royal Marines mainly form F Company which specializes in supporting amphibious operations. The RAF Regiment also provide a platoon in one of these companies and Forward Air Controllers to direct close air support.[12] The Support company comprises mortar, sniper and patrol platoons. The Patrol platoon operates vehicles including the Jackal and includes Fire Support Groups which include Parachute Regiment, Royal Artillery and RAF Regiment personnel.

Note the numbers we are talking about here - a platoon is 27 men - NOT the entire RAF Regiment organisation. Those selected after passing P Company, like every other member of the UKAF who wears wings on his shoulder, join this single platoon.

As I noted earlier, there is a real misconception held by many members of the RAF Regiment that they are somehow elite. This is categorically NOT the case. It is the constant referral to this claim of elitism that p!sses off those who really DO fit that description.

IF you join the RAF Regiment, you will be joining in a great bunch of professional soldiers who just happen to be in the RAF, and true, they do do well in competitions. However, they do not do these things in large numbers, like the rest of the Army/RN.

tac[/QUOTE]

" They do NOT jump to occupy airfields, or anything else"

Really tell that to the lads from 2 Squadron RAF Regiment who jumped with the Pathfinders and 22 SAS as part of operation Silkman, Sierra Leone

OPERATION SILKMAN - SIERRA LEONE 2001

"Op SILKMAN was the ongoing public information and capability demonstration within Sierra Leone. It was designed to reassure the law abiding locals of the continuing UK commitment to ensuring the stability within the region; whilst also providing an aggressive reminder to the rebels of the UK’s over-the-horizon military capabilities. This demonstration was to take the form of a strategic parachute insertion, live armed, into theatre."

You Really dont have a clue in Iraq the RAF Regiment also patrolled the wadis with rigid raiders and have taken part in other amphibious operations.

They have also held the world record for Tabbing with a loaded Bergan, thats how poor their fitness is.

A WORLD RECORD ATTEMPT - SUCCESS

The Squadron made a second attempt on the Bergathon world record on 21 April 1991, at the London Marathon. The Squadron team completed the route in 4 hours 33 minutes and 58 seconds, beating the previous record by 1 minute and 29 seconds.

As not not having mountain warfare skills, they provide instructors to the RMs and Army for FFs

Stop posting inaccurate opinionated nonsense.

here is what 2 sqd RAF Regiment actually do...see for yourself. From jumping with US Special Forces to various operations and aggressive patrols, TAC Foley I am convinced you are a walt.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafregiment/squadrons/iisqnhistory.cfm

tac foley wrote: »
    The RAF Regiment is NOT part of SF, not way back when, not now and not in the future.

The problem with many members of the RAF Regiment is that they firmly believe that they are an elite, somehow 'special' organisation.

They do a great of job of being the RAF Regiment, but neither jump to work, nor operate in isolation as combat troops. Their role, as I'm sure you have read, is principally defensive, and not offensive.

'Walting' members of the RAF Regiment are responsible for their bad press among those us in the Army and RM - taken for what they are, they are a great bunch of lads.

Horses for courses, Sir.

An RAF Regiment Gunner telling a Royal Marine that they are equal in any way will have just one result. You'd be very lucky to recognise the Gunner as a human being.

tac

proven wrong on every point.

http://www.recordholdersrepublic.co.uk/recordholdersdetails.asp?id=967

For years the Royal Marines have attempted to beat this record they have always failed.

Not forgetting the fact the RAF regiment have won more cambrian patrol gold medals then any other unit in the UK armed forces.

• Advertisement

Quote - 'TAC Foley I am convinced you are a walt.'

A 'walt' claims to have done things that he has not. I have not claimed to do any of these things.

A 'walt' wears medals to which he is not entitled. I do not wear medals to which I am not entitled.

Please visit the DISC at Chicksands near Bedford UK.

Please walk in to JSPI, and look at the list of Chief Instructors, located on your left, as you enter the instructional block, by the door leading to the Chief Instructor's office.

Please read my name there, and the dates relating to that name.

Then come back here and feel free to apologise for calling me a Walt.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Well look who's back.

Crusader you didn't happen to catch this thread during your last wave of activity here did you?

Also it's kind of odd how we seem to have some RAF regiment cheerleader squad on this forum none of whom seem to be serving in the RAF regiment :confused:

Well look who's back.

Crusader you didn't happen to catch this thread during your last wave of activity here did you?

Also it's kind of odd how we seem to have some RAF regiment cheerleader squad on this forum none of whom seem to be serving in the RAF regiment :confused:

So you are telling me I should not reply to inaccurate posts ?

So you are telling me I should not reply to inaccurate posts ?

I'm seeing more of an ad hominem attack on another poster than a reply.

I'm seeing more of an ad hominem attack on another poster than a reply.

Tac is claiming to be a Lt Col, I questioned that due to the inaccurate info he posts, as for ad hominem attacks, numerous on this thread all against pro RAF Regiment posters, both by Tac and his pack of little yapping dogs, all ignored by moderators.

Tac is claiming to be a Lt Col, I questioned that due to the inaccurate info he posts, as for ad hominem attacks, numerous on this thread all against pro RAF Regiment posters, both by Tac and his pack of little yapping dogs, all ignored by moderators.

He's retired i believe and has mentioned that several times on this forum. I haven't seen any questionable claims from him nor any other posters serving or have served in the British services, US forces or Irish DF. Yet you and a couple of other posters with no military experience are aggressively claiming to know better about how the armed forces are based on googling the RAF regiment and then insulting actual serving or former serving personnel by calling them walts. (Which you've tried to hide by editing).

I completely understand how Tac is frustrated. You wouldn't go up to your doctor or solicitor and claim you know better than they do about their field and how their job works based on some googling for info now would you?

Also i am genuinely baffled by this cheerleading for the RAF regiment. I don't even think the guys in the RAF regiment are as passionate about the RAF regiment as some of the posters on here.

He's retired i believe and has mentioned that several times on this forum. I haven't seen any questionable claims from him nor any other posters serving or have served in the British services, US forces or Irish DF. Yet you and a couple of other posters with no military experience are aggressively claiming to know better about how the armed forces are based on googling the RAF regiment and then insulting actual serving or former serving personnel by calling them walts. (Which you've tried to hide by editing).

I completely understand how Tac is frustrated. You wouldn't go up to your doctor or solicitor and claim you know better than they do about their field and how their job works based on some googling for info now would you?

No military experience ?

I will scan some pics when I get the chance of me at 17 doing P coy, tabbing up pen-y-fen and some of me in the Croatian civil war.

What have you done ?

So even though all the claims by Tac and others about the RAF regiment have been proven wrong, you still insist they are correct ?

No military experience ?

I will scan some pics when I get the chance of me at 17 doing P coy, tabbing up pen-y-fen and some of me in the Croatian civil war.

What have you done ?

By all means go for it. And keep in mind I'll be using tineye to make sure you haven't pulled them off the net.

And since I've only been in two years I haven't done much in the way of deployment but have never claimed otherwise so I don't see what relevance that has.

• Advertisement

So even though all the claims by Tac and others about the RAF regiment have been proven wrong, you still insist they are correct ?

You haven't provided much in the way of evidence that they are elite. In one post you say the RAF website says the RAF regiment is elite so it must be so. That kind of nonsense doesn't give you much credibility tbh

tac claimed to act as a Lt Col, interim a replacement CO was posted.

As for 'Tac' and his pack of yapping dogs, THAT deserves looking at by a Mod.

So now, it's MY turn.

1. Proof, please, of you 'at 17 doing P Coy'.

2. Proof of 'tabbing up pen-y-fen' [that's Pen-y-Fan, BTW].

3. Proof of time 'in the Croatian civil war'.

Names, places, unit COC, CO, that kind of thing....?

Thanks in advance.

tac

PS - PM me with your regimental number and P Coy course number so I can check YOU out. I'm easy to check out, my name here is my name. As I said, just call up the DISC at Chicksands - I retired 14 years ago this August, but records are records, right?

...and just in case you decide to edit your post in which you accused me of being a walt, here is the bit that you wrote...

...here is what 2 sqd RAF Regiment actually do...see for yourself. From jumping with US Special Forces to various operations and aggressive patrols, TAC Foley I am convinced you are a walt.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafregiment/sq...sqnhistory.cfm

Incidentally for somebody who, it now transpires, claims to have extensive military experience - P Coy, Croatian civil war [?], it's odd that the official Staff Duties in the Field military terminology seems to have been forgotten - sqd?

tac

[Mod]Yes, well, this moderator isn't ignoring that one.

As far as I'm concerned, you can both be vets or you can both be fake. Since it can't be proven online, I don't give a damn and will treat people on the basis of how they post.

The above quote is out of line.[/mod]

Out of mod mode, your refutations are not exactly conclusive. Members of my national guard cavalry troop took part in an op in Afghanistan with US Special Forces and French Forces. (Video footage of their extraction under fire: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbTjmCz-Ilk ). That does not make my little troop of reservists in any way an elite unit, nor does it make the role of my unit anything other than that of a battlefield cavalry unit. It just meant that a couple of my troopers were considered good enough to partake, and the SF unit operating in our area of interest felt like it could use the company.

NTM

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

No military experience ?

What have you done ?

What year were you there?

Who was your CO?

and what colour was the gymnasium roof?

In fairness, I can't remember the name of my CO in Basic, I can't even remember my drill sergeants and they were God over me every day for three months. (Except for DS Ford, he was a damned tank)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

It'll be on his course photo.

and what colour was the gymnasium roof?

In fairness, I can't remember the name of my CO in Basic, I can't even remember my drill sergeants and they were God over me every day for three months. (Except for DS Ford, he was a damned tank)

You'd be surprised. I've met lads who left the army 20 years ago and remember too much about their time in if anything. The civvies teaching the course I'm on at the moment are ex- military and spend as much time regaling us about their time in the army as they do teaching.

I joined the Army in September 1967, and I still remember the names of EVERYBODY who shouted at me.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Christ tac, your older than I thought you were, that was the year before I was born!

Advertisement