Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is eating food with your hands generally frowned upon in the Western World?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

In India they sit around big tables and eat chicken curries with their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I regularly eat with my hands and have no issues with it.
    Normally if you one use one hand it seem to be more "acceptable" but **** it I don't give a **** either way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I always eat chicken wings and lamb chops with my hands and chips as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Anthony O Brien

Yeah, that's a bit mank. IMO, anything with a sauce shouldn't be eaten with hands.

what about chicken wings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Ill just eat my burger with this fork and knife.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

what about chicken wings?

Very little sauce on them, and finger bowls are always provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭positron

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    In India they sit around big tables and eat chicken curries with their hands.

True, however we don't eat currys as such - we eat chappati's or rice with curry - that means the "main" is chappati / rice, just in case if someone is wondering how someone would scoop up gooey curry without a spoon..! :D

I am from India and grew up eating without utensils all my life. It's funny watching all these super celebrity chefs hammering on about various "dimensions" of a dish - the different colours, the different textures etc.. yet they are completely oblivious to the dimension of how everything feels to touch with your fingers..!! It's sad really!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

People eat lots of stuff with their hands. Chips, pizza, chicken wings, burgers, wraps etc. Actually people eat most stuff with their hands tbh. But stuff like spuds and sauce covered things need a utensil, or if your out and you dont want to get stuff all over your nice clean self.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

I'm amazed that no one so far has tried eating with the mouth!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭simply simple

123 LC wrote: »
    Because eating food with a knife and fork is so much more hygienic....however clean you think your hands are, they're probably filthy...even turning a door handle into a restaurant means loads of germs on your hand-eating with these germy hands will mean you'll be more likely to catch some illness

What about sex then, dont you end up with germs in your mouth because of it? or is there any other way of doing it to avoid germs that go in your mouth.

I think hygine issue related with eating with knife and fork is just a legendary myth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭positron

123 LC wrote: »
    Because eating food with a knife and fork is so much more hygienic....however clean you think your hands are, they're probably filthy...even turning a door handle into a restaurant means loads of germs on your hand-eating with these germy hands will mean you'll be more likely to catch some illness

In countries like India where they normally eat with hand, the normal practice is to go and wash your hand just before you sit down at the table to eat. It's taught from a very young age that you wont' get dinner if you don't wash your hands before you sit down at the dining table.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

sandwiches, pizza, burger, burritos.....meh I eat with my hands if it makes sense, people who eat pizza with a knife and fork just coz they're in a restaurant are just stupid

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

seb65 wrote: »
    Actually, in medieval times it was considered rude to eat with utensils. The upper classes saw food as coming from God and to distance yourself from the food with a fork or spoon was considered an affront to God's graces.

I don't know how it changed.
    most of that stuff, kneeling in front of the king, shaking hands with your right hand , traffic passing on the right, not using knives was mostly an excuse to keep people honest , there were lots of backstabbers and frontstabbers back then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Demonique

uch wrote: »
    Try eating a portion of chow mein from the Chinese with your hands after 9 pint and you'll have your answer

To be fair you'll probably have trouble eating it with chopsticks or a knife and fork too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I don't know how the Chinese eat rice with chopsticks. It would take me all day.

They lift the bowl up to their mouth and just sort of shovel it in with the chopsticks.

Any time I've seen Chinese people eating that's how they do it.

It looks a bit rough but it's just a cultural sensibility. Nothing unhygienic about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I saw someone eating a sandwich with a knife and fork before. I don't know what's wrong with some people.

Maybe I'm just a complete slob, but I'm honestly having a lot of trouble figuring out how this could even be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

People should do as they please and eat with their hands when they feel the need to
    Maybe I'm just a complete slob, but I'm honestly having a lot of trouble figuring out how this could even be done.

they cut the sandwich with the knife and used the fork to put it in their mouth?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

People should do as they please and eat with their hands when they feel the need to

Quite easily, I've done so a few times.

I was raised with "use utensils to eat when in public". And never order something from a restuarant that would require you to use your hands.

I've eaten plenty of sandwiches and burgers with knifes and forks, even the bread you get with soup, should be cut into bite sized pieces and then eaten with your fork. Never get your hands dirty :P. Not to mention there's a correct way to hold your bowl and spoon the soup out :rolleyes:

I'm not fussed about it myself. Though I still eat burgers with a knife and fork as I find they can get quite messy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Quite easily, I've done so a few times.

I was raised with "use utensils to eat when in public". And never order something from a restuarant that would require you to use your hands.

I've eaten plenty of sandwiches and burgers with knifes and forks, even the bread you get with soup, should be cut into bite sized pieces and then eaten with your fork. Never get your hands dirty :P. Not to mention there's a correct way to hold your bowl and spoon the soup out :rolleyes:

I'm not fussed about it myself. Though I still eat burgers with a knife and fork as I find they can get quite messy.

No, it should not. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I always eat chicken wings and lamb chops with my hands and chips as well.

I could never eat chicken wings with a knife and fork :O

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I don't know how the Chinese eat rice with chopsticks. It would take me all day.

In Asia the rice that is served usually clumps together and is easy to eat with chopsticks. I'd say they'd have trouble with the rice you usually get in Ireland. Incidentally, Koreans usually eat rice with a spoon anyway.

Advertisement