Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is eating food with your hands generally frowned upon in the Western World?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Shenshen wrote: »
    Why would we even use plates?
    Surely we can just all eat from the one big platter in the middle of the table, the way other cultures do?

....would end in killings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

pizza,chips,chicken gourjons = hands
    steak,soup,omelettes = knife and fork

You eat soup with a knife and fork?! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Is this a follow on from the incest thread?

Ye durty basta*ds :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I don't really understand the taboo in modern society about eating food with your hands. Logically, it's easier to eat with your hands and saves time cleaning up. If your hands are clean (which they should be), it's more hygienic than eating with a knife and fork. Yet if you go to a restaurant or someone's house and avoid using this table etiquette the reaction you will get is quite hostile.

I would be very interested in hearing your opinions on this issue.

Have you walked into a Burger King, McDonalds, KFC, Abrakebabra, Supermacs, Subway or Pizza Hut recently? Most people are using their hands and no one is frowning... well maybe in Abrakebabra

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

iDave wrote: »
    We're not savages like the third world
    I'm a savage ....

... for bacon and cabbage!

Which I eat out of a cup with a spoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I'm a savage ....

... for bacon and cabbage!

Which I eat out of a cup with a spoon.

Get HAAAAAAAAARRRRDDDD!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

I am pie wrote: »
    Only the whiteys table got knives and forks. Everyone else shovelled in the grub using chapatis , I tried but it got a bit messy.

Yeah, that's a bit mank. IMO, anything with a sauce shouldn't be eaten with hands.

Ah, for those long, hot Summer days in the bog. The snipe, the curlew, the gentle breezes. Contentedly slurping our hot-water-bottles of turnip soup through a straw, kneeling on our turf tatami mats. Heaven. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

You should see what its like in Korea. People won't touch anything they are eating- If eating a chocolate bar they go to ridiculous lengths to avoid touching the bar with their hands and only touch the wrapper. Same with burgers in McDonalds.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

People should do as they please and eat with their hands when they feel the need to
    Yeah, that's a bit mank. IMO, anything with a sauce shouldn't be eaten with hands.

What, you never mopped up the last beans on your breakfast plate with some leftover toast?

• Advertisement

What, you never mopped up the last beans on your breakfast plate with some leftover toast?

Oh Hell yeah. I do it with the last of the sausage wrapped in the toast, but I'm a bit of an animal really. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Some food you eat with your hands and other food needs to be eaten with a knife and fork .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

eat with your hands? i eat with my mouth but then I'm a traditionalist

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

Its for handiness sake really.

I'd give a strange look to anyone chowing down on mashed spuds, roast beef and gravy with their hands. It would be all over the shop and your hands would be destroyed after along with the table and clothes and most of the dinner would end up on your fac, table or clothes.

Likewise I'd give a strange look to anyone eating a sandwich with a knife and fork because the sandwich is very handy and practical for use with your hands. All quite clean.
    eat with your hands? i eat with my mouth but then I'm a traditionalist

Thats horribly awkward. Just stick your face into a boiling bowl of soup or diner. Sandwiches would fall after you took a bite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

My husbands's family all eat with their hands - his family are of Indian descent so it's normal to them when eating curry and things like that. His grandmother is lovely but watching her eat is enough to turn the hardest of stomachs

Yes, but that's only a small amount of sauce. A large amount, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

People should do as they please and eat with their hands when they feel the need to
    A member of my family often eats things with her hands while everyone else uses knives and forks. She picks up chips off the plate and then licks her fingers making loads of disgusting sounds. It's very off-putting. I think people should always use cutlery unless it's something difficult to manage like chicken on the bone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Leg of pig in one hand head of cabbage in the other and a few spuds tucked under my arm sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

What about burgers? I find that if you go into a fast food place, OK, you eat the burger with your hands.

But if you go into a pub / restaurant and order a burger, all of a sudden you've to use a fork and knife? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭simply simple

I saw someone eating a sandwich with a knife and fork before. I don't know what's wrong with some people.

I am sure people are doing it out of fear of loosing face, we dont have much info about the audience, do we?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

fussyonion wrote: »
    SuperNoodles are God damn messy to eat with your hands...just lobbing great big fistfuls in your gob-not an attractive look.

I picked up the habit of slurping noodles when in Japan and now I do it all the time to the consternation of work colleagues :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Smitherington, I'll be having my snack box in the drawing room today. Please prepare the cutlery!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

You should see what its like in Korea. People won't touch anything they are eating- If eating a chocolate bar they go to ridiculous lengths to avoid touching the bar with their hands and only touch the wrapper. Same with burgers in McDonalds.

Not what I saw when in Seoul. Especially those late night street tents where you can get beer and snacks... it's the Korean chopsticks I could never get the hang of. Flat and heavy.

Saadyst wrote: »
    But if you go into a pub / restaurant and order a burger, all of a sudden you've to use a fork and knife? :confused:

You don't have to, but in restaurants the burgers tend to be so massive, it's more practical to deconstruct them and eat with cutlery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I don't know how the Chinese eat rice with chopsticks. It would take me all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The Victorians have a lot to answer for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 cakemaker6000

I eat soup with my hands

My girlfriend stuck her fingers into a pot of soup to see how hot it was the other day.

Burned the crap out of herself.

Feckin idiot.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I find a woman who knows when and how to eat with her hands strangely erotic

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

Because eating food with a knife and fork is so much more hygienic....however clean you think your hands are, they're probably filthy...even turning a door handle into a restaurant means loads of germs on your hand-eating with these germy hands will mean you'll be more likely to catch some illness

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Americans use their hands a lot and only a fork for the rest. We all guffaw heartily when we watch my brother-in-law (yanky-doodle) try to eat with a knife as he's recently been trying to "civilise" himself a bit living in Ireland so he's a good example to my niece.

I personally prefer to use a knife and fork whenever possible, even for pizza and burgers and stuff. I find it less messy and easier.

Advertisement