Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is eating food with your hands generally frowned upon in the Western World?

Options
  • 26-06-2013 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭

I don't really understand the taboo in modern society about eating food with your hands. Logically, it's easier to eat with your hands and saves time cleaning up. If your hands are clean (which they should be), it's more hygienic than eating with a knife and fork. Yet if you go to a restaurant or someone's house and avoid using this table etiquette the reaction you will get is quite hostile.

I would be very interested in hearing your opinions on this issue.

What's your opinion? 32 votes

People should adhere to social norms and use a knife/fork where appropriate
    3%
    pantelas2002 1 vote
    People should do as they please and eat with their hands when they feel the need to
    96%
    wesmarkfinnenda1bikoArmaniJeanssShenshenshockwaveSchismCB19KevoflanumTiGeR KiNgSHigginsJwhatdoicareElectric SheepCelly Smuntiora_ruanippsMoodeRatorrobman60looking_around 31 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I don't know what to do anymore. Last week I got fierce funny looks in a caff for eating a breakfast roll with a knife-and-fork.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Nothing worse than the rare situation where eating spicy chicken wings with a knife and fork is mandatory. That sh1t needs to be shoveled into your mouth with bare hands.

Worse than waterboarding tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Because for a long time we wiped our arses with them hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I eat soup with my hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Depends what food we are talking about here.

Soup - bad.

Sandwich - fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Who said it's taboo? I've eaten with my hands for years.......obviously not stuff like soup or spagetti :) but if I can eat it with my hands, I do.

I generally don't worry about the etiquette.. If someone gives me chicken wings, don't expect me to knife and fork them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Try eating a portion of chow mein from the Chinese with your hands after 9 pint and you'll have your answer

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

People who eat Pizza with a fork and knife should be shot in the face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

I don't really understand the taboo in modern society about eating food with your hands. Logically, it's easier to eat with your hands and saves time cleaning up. If your hands are clean (which they should be), it's more hygienic than eating with a knife and fork. Yet if you go to a restaurant or someone's house and avoid using this table etiquette the reaction you will get is quite hostile.

I would be very interested in hearing your opinions on this issue.

It's not frowned upon everywhere in the West - hence finger bowls.
    Nothing worse than the rare situation where eating spicy chicken wings with a knife and fork is mandatory. That sh1t needs to be shoveled into your mouth with bare hands.

Gawd, do some places make you do that? Whenever I've had wings or spare ribs in this country, a finger bowl or wipes have been provided. Should be that way for lamb chops and rack of lamb too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

We're not savages like the third world

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

People should do as they please and eat with their hands when they feel the need to
    I've never had strange looks for eating a sandwich without cutlery, or fruit?

Some food is prepared to be eaten by hand, some food isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭seb65

Actually, in medieval times it was considered rude to eat with utensils. The upper classes saw food as coming from God and to distance yourself from the food with a fork or spoon was considered an affront to God's graces.

I don't know how it changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Scylla wrote: »
    People who eat Pizza with a fork and knife should be shot in the face.

I saw someone eating a sandwich with a knife and fork before. I don't know what's wrong with some people.

I went to a friends wedding in Sheffield a good few years ago, most of the family were English but of Pakistani origin.

Only the whiteys table got knives and forks. Everyone else shovelled in the grub using chapatis , I tried but it got a bit messy. The tie had to go in the bin! The bigger faux pas for them would have been eating with the left hand as thats the one used for cleaning your hole....traditionally. I dare say most use bog roll these days but it's not a conversation I wanted to have at a wedding after having the had the right hand only etiquette explained to me in advance.

Best curry I have ever tasted I should add. I had to be carried away from the table in a wheelbarrow in a spicy stupor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

SuperNoodles are God damn messy to eat with your hands...just lobbing great big fistfuls in your gob-not an attractive look.

iDave wrote: »

You sure?

Shenshen wrote: »
    I've never had strange looks for eating a sandwich without cutlery, or fruit?

Some food is prepared to be eaten by hand, some food isn't.

I'm talking about food that is traditionally eaten with a knife and fork. Unless it's for convenience purposes then I don't see why it's expected that one should use them.

I'm talking about food that is traditionally eaten with a knife and fork. Unless it's for convenience purposes then I don't see why it's expected that one should use them.

I find that what the food needs to be eaten with depends on how it's prepared.
    Indian food is usually prepared in a way that makes it easy to scoop it onto chapatis or roti, thereby not requiring any additional instruments.

Chinese and Japanese food is prepared in a way that makes it easy to lift one mouthful at a time using chopsticks.

European food (if we're talking about roast dinners and the like) is prepared to be eaten using knife and fork.

I honestly can't see how you'd want to carve a bit of roast beef without using a knife - tear chunks out of it with your teeth and spit them onto people's plates?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

http://www.housenotsobeautiful.com/Articles/cutlery.html

http://www.foodreference.com/html/art-history-fork-729.html
    The modern table setting is attributed to Charles I of England who in 1633 declared, "It is decent to use a fork," a statement that heralded the beginning of civilized table manners. But it wasn't until almost a century later that the fork gained acceptance among the lower class. In England, the acceptance of the fork encouraged preparation of continental recipes, such as 'olios' from Spain, a dish made with stewed meat taken with a fork as opposed to mashed food eaten from the blade of a knife. Because the average family owned a limited number of forks, historians suggest that the service of sherbet midway through a meal gave the servants time to wash the forks used earlier on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

Not sure what to make of this.
    Are you saying all humans from third world countries are savages.? :confused:

Shenshen wrote: »
    I honestly can't see how you'd want to carve a bit of roast beef without using a knife - tear chunks out of it with your teeth and spit them onto people's plates?

That's just silly. Carve the beef with a knife and then let people eat it how they like- either with their hands or knife/fork. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Nothing worse than seeing some hairy mucksavage in Supermacs shovel heaps of chips dripping with curry sauce into his drooling gob using his paws.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I defy anyone to eat a plate of steaming hot stew with their hands....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Lift bowl, drink like mug

• Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

hardCopy wrote: »
    Lift bowl, drink like mug

That's cheating, I clearly meant lifting the food from the plate with ones hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

What a disgusting, ignorant thing to say.

That's cheating, I clearly meant lifting the food from the plate with ones hands.

Why would we even use plates?
    Surely we can just all eat from the one big platter in the middle of the table, the way other cultures do?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭puddinboxxx

pizza,chips,chicken gourjons = hands
    steak,soup,omelettes = knife and fork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

You have such an apt name for this thread!

Advertisement