Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

better off on the dole

Options
  • 25-06-2013 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Yeah I know it's another one of those threads but ive seen so many and didn't really believe it but after looking it all up and doing some research my family would be 50 € a week better off if one was on the dole and the other working part time. What is wrong with this country?

I think if childcare was more affordable or subsidised it would make a massive difference to this country. (Above situation doesn't even take childcare into account though)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭john.han

Could you post the sums up please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I'm not going to put up my own personal sums but just to prove a point here is an example

Wife earns €150 working 19.5 hours a week Husband gets €188 jobseekers and €149 for their 5 dependant children. He will also get €118 for the wife as she is earning under the limit. they also qualify for fis as she is working the 19.5 hours required and they get 60% of the difference between €950 and their income which is €207. That is a total of €812 per week NOT including rent allowance/fuel allowance/Back to school allowance/medical card etc

Wife is working same job €150 per week. Husband is working full time €450 per week (take home pay) They also qualify for Fis at €210 a week. Total of €810 per week not including car expenses/childcare etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

You can't get dole and Fis

donegal11 wrote: »
    You can't get dole and Fis

You are right and wrong. The person on jobseekers cant but the spouse working 19 hours min can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Maybe you should do some training or further education and get a better paying job?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭V123

if the wife was getting fis then he wouldn't be able to claim for her as a dependent, the 118euro or am I wrong?

Maybe you should do some training or further education and get a better paying job?

Eh that was just an example? Please read the posts.Thats not my situation. Basically my point is why would someone in that situation actually go out to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

€150/19.50 approx €7,70 per hour which is below minimum wage

foxy06 wrote: »
    Eh that was just an example? Please read the posts.Thats not my situation. Basically my point is why would someone in that situation actually go out to work.

To improve their life, act as a good example to their kids, socially, maybe they like working, lots of reasons. I read the posts, you said you would be better off on the dole, if this is true you should think about training or what you could do to change it.

V123 wrote: »
    if the wife was getting fis then he wouldn't be able to claim for her as a dependent, the 118euro or am I wrong?

Now this im not 100% about but even if not it would just increase the amount of fis. It may bring them under what they would earn in the second situation but not by much and still med card, back to school, fuel allowance and rent allowance is to be taken into account. Also expenses like travel to work and childcare.

• Advertisement

€150/19.50 approx €7,70 per hour which is below minimum wage

Thats take home pay after tax prsi and usc

To improve their life, act as a good example to their kids, socially, maybe they like working, lots of reasons.

Yes if everyone was like that there wouldn't be an issue. But in reality its not like that.

at least when you have a job you have the possibility with time of getting a raise-moving forward, new training - but yes it is difficult and I agree they need to do something about childcare costs - especially if you are in a situation where it is really draining on your income (someone on the dole does not have to pay this - yet someone working has to pay this even if they are only earning a similar wage to someone on the dole so that doesn't make sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Mikehaw

What kind of example are you setting to your kids?

Seriously why do people view it as simply as ill get more on the dole so im not bothering my arse looking for a job. if you are able to work dole shouldn't come into it.

Yes if everyone was like that there wouldn't be an issue. But in reality its not like that.
    No but plenty of people are, hence they work if they can.

I find it strange that it almost becomes an argument of unemployed vs employed

Would you be happier if the unemployed got less? I don't think that unemployed people are living like kings but I also know there are a lot of people out there struggling that are trying their best to work

I think the real issue here is childcare costs and that is what really needs to be looked at! They should bring something in for people on a certain wage to help with these costs!

To improve their life, act as a good example to their kids, socially, maybe they like working, lots of reasons. I read the posts, you said you would be better off on the dole, if this is true you should think about training or what you could do to change it.

Yes I could always put my children up for adoption. Your missing the point. I work. My husband works. We are both in good jobs we enjoy. Childcare unfortunatly is very expensive in this courntry and this, I think (and you obviously read in first post)is the reason a lot of people would think twice about working. The figures I posted are an example.

Thats take home pay after tax prsi and usc

Not appicable on that wage
    Cannot get FIS and another welfare payment
    €118 is wrong, more like €90

Give real examples not ones 'pulled from ones ass'.

Mikehaw wrote: »
    What kind of example are you setting to your kids?

Seriously why do people view it as simply as ill get more on the dole so im not bothering my arse looking for a job. if you are able to work dole shouldn't come into it.

Again. Example!

I find it strange that it almost becomes an argument of unemployed vs employed

Would you be happier if the unemployed got less? I don't think that unemployed people are living like kings but I also know there are a lot of people out there struggling that are trying their best to work

I think the real issue here is childcare costs and that is what really needs to be looked at! They should bring something in for people on a certain wage to help with these costs!

No I don't think welfare rates should be reduced. I agree completely that childcare costs are a massive deterrent for people returning to work and if this was subsidised in some way would encourage a lot of people who want to return but are financially constrained

• Advertisement

Not appicable on that wage
    Cannot get FIS and another welfare payment
    €118 is wrong, more like €90

Give real examples not ones 'pulled from ones ass'.

Again you CAN'T get fis and another welfare payment but a spouse who is working CAN

yes its not fair at all - if a working family earn exactly the same or near to what a family on the dole get then the working family are at least -800to900 for one child down a month from paying childcare

the working family are at least -800to900 for one child down a month from paying childcare

Exactly my point.

yes its not fair at all - if a working family earn exactly the same or near to what a family on the dole get then the working family are at least -800to900 for one child down a month from paying childcare

Exactly my point.

Well then let one of the parents mind the kids, ye are already getting child maintaince.

Again what example is it to children when their parents are scrounging of the state(choosing to claim something they are not entitled to)

Again you CAN'T get fis and another welfare payment but a spouse who is working CAN
    Don't think so. You are assesssed as one unit.

Edit - Just looked it up and you're right, you can!

yes and I don't see how anyone could disagree with that.

The problem is not the amount of money that people get on the dole as the government have worked out that this is what is the sum needed for them to live - the problem is people who are working on the likes of a minimum wage are not getting a standard of living that the government have set for family that is not working!

How do they determine how much a family needs to survive or live on? it must be some kind of mathematical method! its not like people can get someone to mind their children for nothing and go out to work so how can they not take this cost into account!

Well then let one of the parents mind the kids, ye are already getting child maintaince.

Where was maintenance mentioned?

Don't think so. You are assesssed as one unit.

Edit - Just looked it up and you're right, you can!

Good guess considering I pulled this out of my ass :-D

Where was maintenance mentioned?

Children's allowance:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Children's allowance:rolleyes:

They would get that whether they are working or not though so for the question at hand I wouldn't even take it into account.

Advertisement