Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thursday

7 Easy Miles in the Phoenix Park

Managed to get a nice run in at lunchtime. It was very warm and sunny out there but the run was nice and slow so it wasn't too bad.

I enjoyed this but I could have done with a bit more recovery having ran late last night and then lunchtime today. Anyway, glad to get it done, now to relax for the evening for a change.

A few more easy miles tomorrow. Trying to keep the week on week mileage increase to < 10%

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

statss wrote: »
    Good stuff,

Just thinking there, I can't recall if you've mentioned using a HR monitor before but I find they help pace MP sessions - if you know your max HR, a typical marathon HR to train at would be about 82-85% of your HR max, so these sessions then involve keeping the HR around that zone so the pace then looks after itself. Makes them simpler to execute for me anyway. You are well positioned location wise to do some of the MP sessions along the DCM route aswell, I found that really helped me last year too.

Just looking there, the 2 MP sections from yesterday were at 84% and 88% of max. The second one had a fair bit of uphill and was actually slower but will keep an eye on this in future.

Friday

5 Miles Easy

The title says easy, but the heat said different, oddly little energy for this, took a break half way around. Just trying to hydrate properly now for the long run tomorrow.

Saturday

12 Miles @ 10:02m/m

Another Saturday, another 12 miles. This time I was determined I was going to be properly fueled up and properly hydrated, so breakfast of porridge followed by good coffee and lots of water and 1 hour later I was away.

This run went well for the most part. I was finding the pace easy and the HR was about what was to be expected. I ran to the Phoenix park, 1 lap there and home. The last half a mile or so I found myself having to work a lot harder so slowed it right down. I'm not sure if i would have had another 2 miles in me, possibly I would have but it would have been a struggle.

I consider this to have been a pretty successful week all things considered.

Last Week|43.8
    This Week|48.1
    Variance|+9.81%

Monday

Intervals 3x2K @ 10K pace.

So the above session is there to start the week. It sounded not too bad at all so decided to get it out of the way early. After a 2 mile warmup i was into the first rep and feeling nice and comfortable. I probably went too fast if anything.

3 mins recovery and onto the second rep, much tougher, slightly uphill and into the wind but struggled a bit with this rep. Needed my 3 mins recovery and then some. The last rep was incredibly tough, just about got through it. Typical that these paces in a race seem fine but in training are that much tougher to replicate.

Anyway after recovery and cooldown miles that session totaled 8 miles. It was tough going at times but I'm glad it's done and dusted and week 3 in the plan is well underway.

1|1.25m|7:37 m/m
    2|1.25m|7:49 m/m
    3|1.25m|7:51 m/m

• Advertisement

Tuesday

5 Miles Easy @ 9:26 m/m

Just easy miles tonight, nothing too crazy. These were faster than I expected but the HR monitor confirms the effort was easy so I'm happy enough.

I also did a little strength work this evening. The plan calls for it's first MLR tomorrow. 12 miles or so. These are the runs I'm most apprehensive about, longish runs after a days work and cycle home but before dinner.

We shall see how I get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Could you run home from work and get some miles in that way?

Ososlo wrote: »
    Could you run home from work and get some miles in that way?

In theory I could do that, I'd have carry stuff home though so I'd prefer to come home first then out again later, particularly if it will be hot enough around 5 or 6.

I may come home and eat something, then go out later on in the evening.

Wednesday

12 Miles @ 9:50 m/m

Well after all my talk of waiting for it to get a bit cooler I slapped on the sunscreen and headed out at 5pm.

I spent a good deal of my run deciding which side of the road offered more shade and running along there. As far as hydration was concerned I consumed about a litre of water prior to going out, brought another 500ml with me and bought more on the way so I was fine.

I think hydration is crucial on these runs as when I have really struggled it has been when I ran out of water.

The run itself was fine, tough I guess due to the heat and I never really felt all that comfortable.

The route is along the marathon course from cromswell fort road all the way to Stillorgin dual carrigeway. So I gert in 2 of the tougher hills on the course.

The last mile or 2 I thought were never going to end. I don't know yet how I'll handle the longer runs but I guess I'll find that out soon enough.

I also managed to be over a mile from home when I finished and the walk home wasn't pleasant.

Thursday

6 Miles @ 9:37 m/m

Actually found myself free at 3.30pm today in the Phoenix park. Had my gear with me and couldn't resist getting my easy run out of the way. the downside was of course the heat was pretty intense at that stage but I reasoned that in one of the races over the summer I may have deal with those sort of conditions so off I went.

The first mile or so were fine but after going up Military road I started to feel the heat and it was tough going for a while. I got through the 6 miles but it was a bit of a slog at times.

I think I stopped for a break once or twice, probably should have carried water too. As ever glad to get it over. Tomorrow's session calls for M-pace for 30-40 mins so probably be waiting until after 7pm tomorrow I reckon.

• Advertisement

Friday

M-Pace Tempo 2 Easy + 40 mins M-Pace + 1.3E

Total 8 Miles

Good run this evening, headed out after 7pm, weather was perfect. I thought this was going to be tougher to be honest. I struggled a bit last week with 2x15 mins but this was OK. Maybe it was the recovery that tired me out last time :)

Anyway, now to recover as best as possible and get out tomorrow for the 14 mile long run.

Saturday

LSR 14 Miles @ 9:56

Went out this afternoon for this, with the 8 miles from yesterday still being felt. The route brings me up around Marlay Park and back via Rathfarnham. It was a nice run for the most part. I didn't take any gel but I did take on a good bit of water during the run.

As usual the last few miles were a bit of a slog but I guess that's the point. Recovery day tomorrow and so ends what looks like one of the toughest weeks on the first part of the plan. 1 Interval session, 1 tempo session, and 2 runs of 12-14 miles. I'm just glad it's over.

DLR 10K next Monday.

Last Week|48.1
    This Week|53.1
    Variance|+10.3%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

What's the target for the 10k ?

What's the target for the 10k ?

That's a good question. My PB from June 2013 is 51:51.

This race east year was pretty forgettable, 55:xx

So I'll be looking to pass both of those. I think sub 50 or even sub 49 is doable even on this hilly course .

I guess I'll just wait and see how I go and if I get through the first half OK maybe push on a bit in the second half.

Are you doing it?

adrian522 wrote: »
    That's a good question. My PB from June 2013 is 51:51.

This race east year was pretty forgettable, 55:xx

So I'll be looking to pass both of those. I think sub 50 or even sub 49 is doable even on this hilly course .

I guess I'll just wait and see how I go and if I get through the first half OK maybe push on a bit in the second half.

Are you doing it?

Pulled out. It was on my agenda alright and aiming for similar to yourself but then I thought that it wouldn't be a good idea to push a race - have been nursing a few niggles and only getting back on track mileage wise this week. That said had a comfortable 10 miles yesterday so am beginning to get tempted :D

Pulled out. It was on my agenda alright and aiming for similar to yourself but then I thought that it wouldn't be a good idea to push a race - have been nursing a few niggles and only getting back on track mileage wise this week. That said had a comfortable 10 miles yesterday so am beginning to get tempted :D

You are probably right to give it a miss so. No sense doing the race unless you can do it justice.

Monday

10K Pace Intervals

I won't repeat my tales of woe that I mentioned on the DCM Novices thread but suffice to say it has not been a good day for my.

As far as my run is concerned I'm happy I got it done as it would have been very easy to have skipped it. The plan called for 2x(4x800m) @ 10K pace with 90secs recovery and 5 mins between sets.

To start with I had to run with a heavy enough backpack for the warmup which ended up being 3 miles. I decided to do the intervals in Bushy Park, they went well enough as detailed below, and then head for home weighed down with the backpack again.

The overall distance was 10 Miles and I at least learned that I am not a fan of running with a bag on my back!

The target for each of these would have been about 7:46 m/m. Not sure what happened with the first one as the Garmin seemed to say I was on target .

Dist|Pace
    0.5|8:12
    0.5|7:42
    0.5|7:46
    0.5|7:46
    0.5|7:44
    0.5|7:32

Tuesday

8 Easy Miles @ 9:32 m/m

Nice easy run this evening, I was hoping to get out earlier but my Garmin was giving trouble, plugged it in yesterday at 30% today it was dead, needed to play around with it, cleaning connections etc eventually got it charging.

Anyway I needed this run, after the run yesterday with the backpack I was feeling a bit of a niggle in the Hip Flexor/Glut area, so stretched it out a bit but had no problems this evening.

The pace was pretty quick but the HR/effort was easy so no complaints there.

I feel the training is going well with my only concern being walking the tightrope between doing the required mileage but not actually getting injured.

I plan to hit 58 Miles this week and then step it back a little next week. Hopefully I can stay injury free anyway.

Wednesday

Tempo 9 Miles with 2x15 min @ M-Pace

Got out for a nice 9 mile run this evening, I'm finding these marathon pace sessions easier now, which I guess is the point. I had a bit of an uphill, headwind, heavy rain section that wasn't so much fun but apart from that it was fine.

I plan to try and get a long run in tomorrow as I won't be doing one on the weekend with the 10K race on Monday.

Dist|Effort|Pace
    3.0|Easy|9:57
    1.8|M-Pace|8:38
    0.5|Recov|11:19
    1.8|M-Pace|8:39
    0.5|Recov|9:40
    1.5|Easy|9:40

Thursday

14 Miles LSR

I decided I wanted to get my long run done tonight, given I'm doing the 10K race on Monday I won't get a chance this weekend. The plan was for 16 Miles with the last 4 at marathon pace.

I knew this was ambitious but decided to give it a go anyway. I sent in towards town, following part of the marathon course, down lord edward street, parliament street, down the quays, up chesterfield avenue, all the way around by castleknock gate, back into the park, out by chapelizod, Kilmanhaim and south circular road.

It was good to get this route segment done. I managed the first 12 miles ok, I used 2 gels on this run. After picking up the pace at mile 12 I noticed a few niggles getting gradually worse and these had developed to outright pain after 2 miles.

I decided to leave it there rather than push on through the pain, there are more important things coming up than those 2 miles so had a bit of a walk home on tired legs.

July Details

Runs|26
    Long runs|6
    Quality Runs|8
    Miles|212

• Advertisement

As mentioned above I could feel some sort of issue coming on towards the end of that run.

I wasn't too concerned about it though.

Friday:

3 Miles @ 10:36

Recovery run, I really felt uncomfortable on this, it was super slow but I probably should have abondoned it sooner. Hip Felxor and IT-Band very sore on one side.

A bit of foam rolling and hoping for the best.

Saturday:

No running today obviously, I spent a good 45-60 mins doing various strength and Core exercises which I have ben neglecting as well as some more foam rolling.

Sunday:

Feeling much better, but decided not to risk a run, I'll do some light stretches and some exercises tonight before the 10K tomorrow.

If the body holds up I feel I can take a good few mins off my PB. if not it will be a DNF, I won't push through if there is any pain.

Best of luck tomorrow adrian!

Hope it goes well for you tomorrow.

Am literally passing the finishing line (well slightly underneath it on the train now) I hope you get here tomorrow !

Thanks both, I'll make the start line anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭donnacha

Well done on the PB today - good catching up again. Debating entering the Frank Duffy 10m now that you mentioned it ... might see you there.

donnacha wrote: »
    Well done on the PB today - good catching up again. Debating entering the Frank Duffy 10m now that you mentioned it ... might see you there.

Same to you. You should run it if you are free its a good race,well organised and not too expensive.

Monday

2 Mile Warmup with Strides

DLR Bay 10K

3 Mile Cool Down Recovery

Up for an 8am breakfast. Headed out to DL topick up my number and get set. I started with a 2 mile warm up, faster than I intended and realised it was quote hot out at that stage.

Wandered down to the start area, realised I could do with a toilet at the last minute and as a result ended up starting right at the very back.

I had a lot of weaving to do near the start but still managed to hit a good time for the first mile. 7:45 The second mile started well and quite fast, carrying through the start of the hilly section. The plan of building up some time in the early part seemed a good idea. (7.37)

The third mile seemed to drag a bit as the uphills were a little more severe and while the pace was good this did take a bit out of me. (7:45)

At the halfway point there is one final climb with a water station at the top. It was welcome and I decided to take 15-20 seconds to take on some water and catch my breath as I walked through the waterstation. As a result Mile 4 time was slow.(8:08)

I picked up the pace again thereafter in order to make some time back. Mile 5 was quick (7:25) and I needed to back off a bit in Mile 6 but it was still a good enough pace. (7:42)

I came home in 48:24 to give me a big PB but also leave me wondering how much more is there on a flatter course and no injury issues to deal with?

The IT band didn't cause much problems during the race but it really flared up during the cool-down miles so obviously a lot of work to be done there.

Decided to hit up Teddy's ice Cream place after the cool down miles. Good Decision.
    Overall very happy, goals achieved and 11.3 Miles done for the day.

Super run there especially given the circumstances. A nice set of records on strava too. Congrats.

Fantastic adrian! All the hard work's paying off. You're in for a fanbloomintastic DCM with the way you're training and racing:D
    Well done!

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, I've been waiting a long time to put a decent 10K together, while I haven't been concentrating on the distance it's nice to see the training paying off all the same,

Advertisement