Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Tuesday

15 mins Easy + 4 x (200m+200m+400m) + 15 mins easy.

I'm obviously getting fitter as this session gets a little easier every week.

The intervals add up as it comes to nearly 7 miles in total. It remains a tough session but I find I am recovering better from the effort than before.

Not sure if I should bother with a race this week or carry on with the training and get another long run in.

Anyway, glad to get this one done, these sessions feel like money in the bank when they are all done.

Time for a nice espresso to round out the evening.

Paces (target: 0:54/1:48)

200 48.3
    200 49.1
    400 1:48.2
    200 52
    200 50
    400 1:44.9
    200 49.9
    200 49.5
    400 1:47
    200 47.9
    200 49.1
    400 1:46.4

Total:

6.91 Miles.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Monthly Totals:

|April|YTD
    Miles|153|316
    Duration|25:52:38|54:36:57
    Days Running|24|52
    Quality Sessions|7|12
    Long runs|3|5
    Races|1|1

I think the training is going quite well. Still following the Daniels Blue fitness plan. I'll do one more week on Phase 2 before moving onto Phase 3. I'll stick with this plan until towards the end of June, and then I'll jump into a marathon plan.

At the moment I'm thinking about the Baa Intermediate plan, it seems to suit my needs quite well

Anyway, things are progressing quite well, getting fitter and building up the miles slowly.

Thursday:

45 Mins Easy (9:47 m/m) + 8 Strides (20 Secs with 1 min Recovery)

Nice run in the rain, started off with 15 mins Core work and then took the Foam roller for a test drive.

Tomorrow the plan calls for the second session of the week, I'll skip it if I'm racing on the weekend, still undecided on that.

Friday 5 Miles very easy 10:21 m/m

Decided to have a crack at the BHAA 5 mile up in RTE tomorrow. I'm going to do it without any taper to see how I get on, and then have a proper go at the Terenure 5 mile in 2 weeks time.

I'll also try to get out for some miles on Sunday morning to keep the weekly mileage on target.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

adrian522 wrote: »
    Friday 5 Miles very easy 10:21 m/m

Decided to have a crack at the BHAA 5 mile up in RTE tomorrow. I'm going to do it without any taper to see how I get on, and then have a proper go at the Terenure 5 mile in 2 weeks time.

I'll also try to get out for some miles on Sunday morning to keep the weekly mileage on target.

Best of luck tomorrow, have you raced this distance before?

• Advertisement

Not since last May.

45 mins then but had a bad day, due to having a few pints the day before and a takeaway curry to finish the evening. Then I went out way too fast etc.

Figure 42:xx mins should be doable tomorrow then hopefully take another min or 2 off in the Terenure 5 mile in 2 weeks.

That's the plan at least.

Sound s good, enjoy it:D

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Sound s good, enjoy it:D

Chip time 39:11.

Good run, happy with that.

Saturday BHAA RTE 5 Mile

As above came out at 39:11, or 39:03 on the watch.

Anyway my Garmin is giving this as short also so not sure what to make of the time. My pace came out at 8:03m/m

I started out running a steady pace and trying to keep my breathing in check and I stayed pretty comfortable for most of the race, on the last lap and a half I started to feel the pace a bit more but managed to stay at the pace I was going.

I passed a good few people on the route who looked like they were fit enough so happy with that. I even passed one lad in a singlet, so that either makes me a real runner or him a fraud, not sure which, maybe both.

Splits from the watch(any excuse for a table!):

Mile|Time
    1|7:47
    2|8:00
    3|8:11
    4|8:13
    5|6:52

Watch clocked it at 4.87 miles.

Great result, well done

• Advertisement

Sunday

Long Slow Run 11 miles @ 9:59 m/m

Nice run this morning, pretty enjoyable for the most part. My HR monitor has given up the ghost completely, I'm thinking the issue is with the battery, at least that's what I'm hoping.

This run moves me up the 1000 mile spreadsheet into the section that projected to make 1000 miles by year end, my 1000 mile estimate date: 30/12/2014.

Weekly Totals:

Miles|39.93
    Time|6:24:33

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

well done on the race yesterday adrian. Delighted for ya:D and a bit jealous:D
    Just wondering if you're following a plan at the moment? It seems like a lot of stress on the body racing all-out a 5 mile race yesterday and doing an 11 mile run today:eek: Just wondering!

Thanks, yeah, it's a lot of stress I guess, but didn't feel too bad after the race and actually good have run a few miles last night but held off.

I guess 11 miles might have been a bit much but they were easy miles, maybe 7 or 8 would have been better?

Thanks, yeah, it's a lot of stress I guess, but didn't feel too bad after the race and actually good have run a few miles last night but held off.

I guess 11 miles might have been a bit much but they were easy miles, maybe 7 or 8 would have been better?

Personally, I'd only ever do a recovery run the day after a race and no more than 3-4 miles or so. I might do a recovery run the evening of the race but I'd still run easy (and short) the next day. I'd do the recovery miles about 3- 4 mins per mile slower than race pace. I am quite cautious though:)
    I would consider both those two runs fairly hard sessions even though you ran today's easy as it was quite a long run. Just think of the bigger picture.
    Well done again on the race :D

Ososlo wrote: »
    Personally, I'd only ever do a recovery run the day after a race and no more than 3-4 miles or so. I might do a recovery run the evening of the race but I'd still run easy (and short) the next day. I'd do the recovery miles about 3- 4 mins per mile slower than race pace. I am quite cautious though:)
    I would consider both those two runs fairly hard sessions even though you ran today's easy as it was quite a long run. Just think of the bigger picture.
    Well done again on the race :D

Thanks, 3-4 mins per mile slower would have me running at 11-12 min per mile which would seem crazy slow.

But I take your point about taking it easy after a race.

I'm not that experienced at working races into my training sessions.

Thanks, 3-4 mins per mile slower would have me running at 11-12 min per mile which would seem crazy slow.

General consensus would be to run very easy and short the day after a race unless you're very experienced.
    I run my recovery runs at the paces above as they really help my legs feel super afterwards. The slower the better in my opinion. The Kenyans often run theirs at 9min/mile pace so that's my excuse:pac:

Cool, will try that after the 5 mile in 2 weeks time.

BTW the plan I'm using is the Jack Daniels Blue plan.

Essentially you do about 4 weeks on each phase, I plan to do 1 more week on phase 2 before moving onto phase 3.

Phase 3 is the toughest phase.

I'll be doing a marathon plan starting around the start of July. Probably one of the BAA plans.

Edit: I'm also adding more to the Sunday long runs than the 60-90 mins suggested in the plan.

Hi, I think Ososlo is right regarding that been two hard runs together and risking injury. I know I was advised against it on here before as I am also not very experienced at fitting the races into the training plan. But sure we are learning the whole time. I think you can afford to have a lower mileage week when including a race.

That's an interesting plan you're currently doing. I like the way it has options on rest days. I agree that the 20mins tempo/threshold run is quite hard that you mentioned a few posts back. I always find those types of session difficult but it's great training for marathon endurance and strength. You'll be set up really nicely for your marathon plan when it starts.
    Don't be afraid to run the easy runs along with the recovery runs really really easy too if you feel like it. It'll stand to you!

Thanks, yeah, probably should have cut back a bit.

Realistically, 5 miles Friday, race Saturday, then 11 miles today was probably pushing it a bit.

• Advertisement

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Hi, I think Ososlo is right regarding that been two hard runs together and risking injury. I know I was advised against it on here before as I am also not very experienced at fitting the races into the training plan. But sure we are learning the whole time. I think you can afford to have a lower mileage week when including a race.

yeah, really good point there too Sam. Most around these parts would drop mileage considerably the week of a race.

Ososlo wrote: »
    That's an interesting plan you're currently doing. I like the way it has options on rest days. I agree that the 20mins tempo/threshold run is quite hard that you mentioned a few posts back. I always find those types of session difficult but it's great training for marathon endurance and strength. You'll be set up really nicely for your marathon plan when it starts.
    Don't be afraid to run the easy runs along with the recovery runs really really easy too if you feel like it. It'll stand to you!

Generally if I'm running on one of the rest days I'll just do 3 miles at recovery pace rater than repeating one of the earlier days as suggested by the plan.

It's mad how the threshold run for 20mins @8:33 seems so difficult, yet you do a race and run 5 miles at 8 mins per mile pace and feel quite comfortable for most of it.

Monday:

No running, no strength or core work, no cross training. Just recovery.

Recovery from a hangover mainly and eating a lot of good food.

Tuesday:

60 mins Easy Running. 6.18 Miles @ 9:43 m/m

Felt good today after the initial shock to the system that I was out running again. Even managed some strength work before heading out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭donnacha

:D
    Cool, will try that after the 5 mile in 2 weeks time.

BTW the plan I'm using is the Jack Daniels Blue plan.

Essentially you do about 4 weeks on each phase, I plan to do 1 more week on phase 2 before moving onto phase 3.

Phase 3 is the toughest phase.

I'll be doing a marathon plan starting around the start of July. Probably one of the BAA plans.

Edit: I'm also adding more to the Sunday long runs than the 60-90 mins suggested in the plan.

I might have to steal your plan :D Was up past 1am last night reading the JD plans in the book trying to work out how I'll incorporate them into my own race plans ahead. The book appears to have very long plans - and not very long LSRs!!!

donnacha wrote: »
    :D

I might have to steal your plan :D Was up past 1am last night reading the JD plans in the book trying to work out how I'll incorporate them into my own race plans ahead. The book appears to have very long plans - and not very long LSRs!!!

Yeah, his theory is that 150 mins is the longest you should run and he tries to get the same effect as long runs by having a lot of quicker paces in the middle of the long runs.

It all sounds very well in theory but is the main reason I discounted his plans for my main marathon plan.

Wednesday

15 Mins Easy + 4 x(200m+200m+400m)+15 mins easy

Time for this workout again, and feck me that wind was past annoying. I was running the intervals in a circuit so every second interval was into this really strong wind and it made some of them very difficult.

Got through them in the end though.

5 Mile time should have me upping the Vdot again but I think the general advice is to stay on your vdot level for 4 weeks before moving up so that's what I'll do.

Total 6.93 Miles.

The wind was a disaster this evening, I don't know how we stuck it all winter!

I always say to myself "You'll be racing sometime in weather just like this so just get used to it now" but tonight I was tempted to call it a day pretty early, glad I got through it though.

Thursday:

So i had intended doing 4 mins easy + 6 strides, but a trip to the physio and a session of "Dry needling" has put a stop to that.

I now need to figure out how to organise the rest of the week.

I had planned a session tomorrow, easy day Saturday and long run Sunday. But having missed today I'm now thinking, easy run tomorrow followed by a few more easy miles on Saturday and long run Sunday.

What do you think?

• Advertisement

Thursday:

So i had intended doing 4 mins easy + 6 strides, but a trip to the physio and a session of "Dry needling" has put a stop to that.

I now need to figure out how to organise the rest of the week.

I had planned a session tomorrow, easy day Saturday and long run Sunday. But having missed today I'm now thinking, easy run tomorrow followed by a few more easy miles on Saturday and long run Sunday.

What do you think?

Sounds sensible to me!

Advertisement