Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

A headtorch is a great investment. I regularly run around Tymon with one in the winter.
    Alternatively you could join Tallaght AC and use the floodliy track :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

menoscemo wrote: »
    A headtorch is a great investment. I regularly run around Tymon with one in the winter.
    Alternatively you could join Tallaght AC and use the floodliy track :D

Yeah, I do plan to join a club once I get this marathon out of the way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Totals for September

Days Running|27/30
    Quality Sessions|7
    Long Runs|5
    Races|1
    PB's|1
    Miles|261

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

You're certainly putting in the miles.

Wednesday

10 Mile Medium Long Run

Nice run last night. The plan calls for these to be run at MP + 30 seconds so I was aiming for 9:00 - 9:15. It was quite enjoyable, I went up towards Marlay Park only to find the park now closes at 6 so had to loop back down through Nutgrove. Good run though and nice to be able to hold the pace without much difficulty.

• Advertisement

Thursday

7 Easy Miles @ 9:25 m/m

Garmin trouble last night. First I spend half an hour looking for the ****ing thing, couldn't find it for ages. Eventually found it in the front pocket of a hoody I'd been wearing the night before..

It wasn't properly charged so started giving off low battery warnings. Towards the end of the run it rebooted itself twice but still seemed to store the run, got in and put it on charge. 2% battery remaining.

Went to upload the run and seemed ok on Garmin connect but on Strava it only showed as 5.7 miles or something so I just added a run manually to strava. I've no idea why strava is only giving me 5.7 miles and Garmin 7 miles, seems a huge difference.

Anyway the run was fine, easy miles, nothing to report.

I've noticed a few times that your runs don't seem to make sense when you've linked them to Strava.

I've noticed a few times that your runs don't seem to make sense when you've linked them to Strava.

In what sense? The distances look off? Sometimes the distance may be off by 0.1 or 0.2 but not by 2 miles.

The splits don't seem to match up with the total time.

The 22 mile run with 3 at MP on page 16 - it seems like it should have been 3 hours 48 minutes but says 3 hours 31?

I don't know, looks ok to me, seems to add up to about 3:29/3:30 excluding the 0.3 as you wouldn't add on the mile pace for that.

The laps view is always wrong though as I think that is elapsed time,

• Advertisement

Sorry you're right.

Anyway I wouldn't worry about it - my Garmin does strange things when the charge gets too low.

I could have sworn I'd updated this a little more recently, guess not.

Friday

9 Miles with - 1 x 15 min + 1 x 10 min @ M-Pace off 5 mins recovery

The weather "inclement" as they say. I pulled out my Aldi "ultra light running jacket" and headed out into it. It actually worked out ok, wasn't too hot at all.

The run was a lot of fun, it was only supposed to be 8 miles but I mis calculated the route and it was too cold and wet for a mile walk back home so kept running for the last mile.

Saturday

20 Miles LSR

Long run the day after a marathon pace run. Good and bad to this I guess. I was undecided as to how far I should go, 18,20 or 22. A discussion on the novices thread with AMK convinced me to keep it to 20 miles. I headed out early, beautiful day for running and kept all the miles easy ( none at marathon pace).

My legs really started to feel it around mile 14 or 15, making the end quite tough. I'm putting this down to the run the night before. Got through the 20 and proceeded to shower, back to bed then lay on the coach for the day.

Sunday Rest

I had thoughts about a recovery run but was having people over for dinner and by the time I'd decided I'd like to go running it was too late.

Monday

8 Miles with 2x(800m/600m/400m/200m) @ 5-10K pace

Well rested I headed out for the weekly 10K pace session. Keeping the same intensity but reducing volume is apparently the done thing in the last 3 weeks so 8 miles total for this. It was a good session, no real issues getting through it but the garmin isn't the most reliable for measuring these distances.

All in all the training is going well. My only concern is the shoes I'd intended to run the race in are giving me problems, strongly thinking of reverting to the Kinvara's for the race.

I've used them for a couple of long runs but they do already have 250 miles in them.

Heading in to taper now and am a bit confused about how much I should be doing. Mileage totals so far are as below. I'm thinking of something llke this for the next 3 weeks 48/37/25. Does that sound about right?

Mileage so far:

Week|Distance
    1|43.8
    2|48.2
    3|53.2
    4|44.4
    5|60
    6|63.4
    7|50.2
    8|56
    9|59.1
    10|70.7
    11|55.6
    12|59.1
    13|62.5

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

taper sounds right - get the right shoes sorted!!

taper sounds right - get the right shoes sorted!!

Thanks, shoes are just annoying me at this stage, I reckon I could be just reverting to the Kinvara's as they never gave any issues.

250 miles is fine, would think you can run the marathon in them if they give you no issues.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, I've done a few long runs in them too without issue.

Tuesday

6 Miles Easy

Nothing to report really from the run. 9:11 m/m, HR in the 140's for the duration.

Wednesday

8 Miles with 2 x 15 mins @ M-Pace

2 Mile warm up, 2 x 15 mins @ M-pace and 2 Mile Cool down. Felt grand for the marathon pace, first one was mainly uphill, second rep, back downhill. Pace for the marathon pace reps was 8:44m/m and 8:31 m/m.

Thursday

6 Miles Easy @ 9:32 m/m

Nice run here, really nice clear night, very enjoyable, definitely getting colder but this is a really nice time of year to be out running. The 6 miles are just long enough to keep things interesting.

Friday

6 Miles Easy @ 9:18 m/m

Another 6 miles here, got out early enough to start the run in daylight, finish in darkness. A bit quicker this evening but not going above easy effort.

Saturday

14 Miles @ 9:14 m/m

This morning went out around 9am for the 14 mile LSR. The day was again great for running, clear skies, bright sunshine etc. you would think the 14 miles would fly by given I've been running 20 for LSR's recently but 14 is still a decent enough distance.

Rest day tomorrow before entering the last 2 weeks before the race. 48 miles for the week.

Week|Distance
    1|43.8
    2|48.2
    3|53.2
    4|44.4
    5|60
    6|63.4
    7|50.2
    8|56
    9|59.1
    10|70.7
    11|55.6
    12|59.1
    13|62.5
    14|48.2

Miles for 2014: 1330

Sunday

Rest Day.

No boozing in Saturday, up early on Sunday but no running planned. Weird feeling, cleaned the house from top to bottom, cooked a nice dinner and then watched NFL for the evening.

Monday

10K Pace Session

1 Mile Warmup
    1 Mile @ 10K Pace
    4 mins Recovery
    2 Miles @ 10K Pace
    7 Mins Recovery
    1 Mile @ 10K Pace
    ~1 Mile Recovery/Cooldown

The taper madness is starting to kick in, really noticed myself getting very annoyed and frustrated at people for no real reason whatsoever. Anyway struggled through work and left early and got out for my session.

This session was the last one before the race. It went well, pretty enjoyable. I feel I'd be on good shape for a 10K or 5K PB. Especially a 5K PB as the current one is very soft and over a year old at this stage.

Looking at the jingle bells 5K as it looks like good fun and the timing is good.

Also I need a new name for this log, or at least I will pretty soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

adrian522 wrote: »
    Sunday

Also I need a new name for this log, or at least I will pretty soon.

Like a bat out of hell i'll be gone when the morning comes?

You seem quite quick so it could work and you mainly run in the mornings??? :confused:

• Advertisement

Tuesday

5 Miles @ 9:38

Chalk off another run on the way through the taper. 5 miles @ easy effort. I'm getting a little bit concerned at general tightness/soreness in certain areas, the sort of thing that doesn't really bother me in the training runs but I'd like sorted out prior to the race.

Anyway, hopefully nothing serious. I've booked a sports massage for next Tuesday with everyones favorite ex-boardsie.

Also how are we supposed to recognize one another in the pub, I think I'll wear some sort of ridiculous Elvis costume on the day.

What do people stick in the race bag for after the race? Change of clothes, food/drink, anything else?

So many questions. 10 more runs to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Do you do much stretching after your runs? Be careful with that tightness and dont rely solely on a massage for it.

Nearly there!

I'm a bit lazy with it I have to say, sometimes I spend a good bit of time stretching out, sometimes I only do it very briefly or not at all.

Being a bit more diligent this week in that regard.

Wednesday

5 Miles with 15 mins @ M-Pace

Well I've come this far so may as well finish it out, one of the last sessions on the plan, it was pretty easy to be honest, marathon pace felt ok, not too taxing, probably closer to 3:45 pace than 3:50 pace so I'll likely be going easier again on the day to start with at least.

Trying my best not to get too down about the goings on on the forum, I've been reading and posting here for the best part of 2 years, I've learned loads and love reading the logs, hopefully things will settle down again soon because a lot of the fun of the place has been taken away the last few days.

Sad to see people having a pop at the mods who are doing their best to restore order, it's a pretty thankless task at the best of times and it means you can't really contribute to the forum as you once did. You get dragged into all sorts of petty arguments and to top it off you have posters deciding to have a go at them on thread.

Hopefully we don't see any more retirements.

Thursday

5 Miles Easy @ 9:14 m/m

Nice easy run this evening, in the dark and in the rain. Very nice. Interesting to note that my easy pace seems to be getting a bit faster as I get into the taper.

Feeling like I'm eating a bit too much lately, maybe its all in my head but it seems my diet was cleaner during the training phase.

5 miles is a very short run too, you are only getting going when it is time to head for home.

Anyway 10 days to go and 8 runs between now and then, all my focus for a long time has been on this race, I've no idea what I'll do when the sun comes up on October 28th.

1. 9:16
    2. 9:08
    3. 9:11
    4. 9:13
    5. 9:20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Just popping in here adrian! What do those 8 runs line up like...thinking would you benefit from an extra day off?

Good point schedule as follows for the next week or so

Friday : 5 Miles Easy
    Saturday: 10 Miles
    Sunday: Off
    Monday: 6 Miles with Strides
    Tuesday: 4 Miles Easy
    Wednesday: 5 Miles ( Maybe some M-Pace Miles included)
    Thursday: 4 Miles Easy
    Friday: 3 miles Easy
    Saturday: Off
    Sunday: 3 Miles very easy.

Open to suggestions on any changes that could be made?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I would be inclined to take either Tuesday or Thursday off, probably Thursday. You'll gain nothin by running but the rest will be good for you

Thanks for that, you're probably right. I was thinking that because I've been doing 6 days per week I should keep that up but no need to add extra miles just to hit a number I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

adrian522 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, you're probably right. I was thinking that because I've been doing 6 days per week I should keep that up but no need to add extra miles just to hit a number I guess.

Yep agree with gavlor...a day off on Thursday much more benefitial

Advertisement