Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things that just don't make sense

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Geocaching.

Although its popularity probably tells us something about basic human nature? (problem solving, hoarding treasures, co-operation)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Ads for butchers and meat counters featuring anthropomorphic animals dressed as butchers or cooking their own kind at a BBQ grill, disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

dee_mc wrote: »
    Things that just don't make sense...
    Cat food/dog food adverts at human dinner time. Bleurgh.

McDonalds adverts at dinner time. Double Bleurgh.

shrewdness wrote: »
    Winning Streak.

I never understood the appeal, it's not like other game shows where the public win money but have to answer questions or something. No, here all you do is pick numbers, spin a wheel and get tens of thousands of euro. Fantastic for the people involved of course but I couldn't sit through a show myself, I don't see the entertainment. Aul wans in particular seem to go mad for it, each to their own I suppose.

Must be all the noises and bright colours, regressing to childhood.

Unless I know the person I couldn't give a flying fcuk how well someone does at this. Totally unchallenging drivel, how it merits a REPEAT showing is beyond me.

They must give the audiences something to go mad with all the applause, roaring and shouting.

Must be all the noises and bright colours, regressing to childhood.

Unless I know the person I couldn't give a flying fcuk how well someone does at this. Totally unchallenging drivel, how it merits a REPEAT showing is beyond me.

They must give the audiences something to go mad with all the applause, roaring and shouting.

It's f'ucking awful. My idea of hell would be to be chained to a wall with my eyes jammed open (clockwork orange style) watching that on a loop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

People who watch NFL

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

JD DABA wrote: »
    I mean the ones who go round smiling that life is ultimately meaningless and we're soulless tricks of biology, hurray. Theres no happy ending ...wayhey.
    Its all futile and pointless - hey isnt that great.
    Well when you put it like that it's going to sound bad. It's not so much that life is meaningless, it's that meaning only exists inside peoples heads. Removing human bias allows you to see life and the universe in all it's glory. Religious people are hiding from gods world behind myth. The universe is magnificent with or without humans to appreciate it.

Our current global economy. It's got impossible goals and is tearing apart at the seams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Airplanes. How in the name of f*ck does a massive lump of metal get up into the air and stay there!? I've had the physics explained to me but I still consider it witchcraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk. But Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Why would a Wookiee, an 8-foot-tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of 2-foot-tall Ewoks? That does not make sense!

Clearly you've never seen what female ewoks get up to when one is standing on the other's shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Airplanes. How in the name of f*ck does a massive lump of metal get up into the air and stay there!? I've had the physics explained to me but I still consider it witchcraft.

Ships. How in the name of f*ck does a massive lump of metal not sink.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

People getting very worked up about what computer/console/game they own.

Same for phones.

Something fundamentally lacking there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

I have been in the audience on winning streak! They chat to the audience before the show and encourage them to shout for everyone... and people drink before the show iirc, they really get into it.

Although this was way back in the Mike Murphy days when the show had some disgnitas. I think you have more screamers these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,113 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Don't you just hate pants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

Sex: can you imagine it father, looking up at your husband with his lad in his hand wanting you to degrade yourself, god almighty can you imagine that father, can you picture it father, ah go on get a good mental picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Extreme make-up, e.g.:
    • flappy-paddle eyelashes;
    • plucking eyebrows and then painting them back on....badly;
    • flesh-coloured lipstick;
    • fingernails painted to look like snooker cues;
    • Jaffa tans;
    • Bottle red (as in tomato) hair;
    OK, some posters hate lists....but I could go on!

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Extreme make-up, e.g.:
    • flappy-paddle eyelashes;
    • plucking eyebrows and then painting them back on....badly;
    • flesh-coloured lipstick;
    • fingernails painted to look like snooker cues;
    • Jaffa tans;
    • Bottle red (as in tomato) hair;
    OK, some posters hate lists....but I could go on!

Also stuff like eyelash tints. Who the hell notices?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭santana75

Ear rings

I just dont get it, leaving aside blokes with ear rings which is probably a thread in itself, but even women wearing them. Its bizarre when you take a step back and look at it. Puching holes in your earlobes and hanging dangly stuff off them???????

santana75 wrote: »
    Ear rings

I just dont get it, leaving aside blokes with ear rings which is probably a thread in itself, but even women wearing them. Its bizarre when you take a step back and look at it. Puching holes in your earlobes and hanging dangly stuff off them???????

Esp. when people go OTT and get a sh*t load of them done and start to resemble a curtain rail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

I have been in the audience on winning streak! They chat to the audience before the show and encourage them to shout for everyone... and people drink before the show iirc, they really get into it.

Although this was way back in the Mike Murphy days when the show had some disgnitas. I think you have more screamers these days.

I've been in the audience too, its a great break from the mundane, and you do get treated very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Eye lashes on cars.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Posters on any threads involving Travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

Girl friends and boyfriends communicating with each other over social media sites like "Sarah is with Dave at McDonalds love you Babe xxxxxx". Then he likes it and comments on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Women's frilly knickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭JD DABA

ScumLord wrote: »
    Well when you put it like that it's going to sound bad. It's not so much that life is meaningless, it's that meaning only exists inside peoples heads. Removing human bias allows you to see life and the universe in all it's glory. Religious people are hiding from gods world behind myth. The universe is magnificent with or without humans to appreciate it.

Our current global economy. It's got impossible goals and is tearing apart at the seams.

Its nothing to do with the philosophies being right or wrong.
    Its about being happy as a result of finding out that life is meaningless. And going around celebrating it with a smile on your face.

Christians: Ill die and then Ill be yoked out of it for eternity. This = promise of blissful eternal happiness = (true or false) reason to be happy.

Believing (rightly or wrongly) you're going to win the lotto = (true or false) reason to be happy.

Certain individual (possibly) deterministic types: Im a meaningless growth destined for nothing and this has all been futile. This = pretty bleak. Not a reason to be happy.
    Yet certain non-specific group individuals with this outlook sometimes possibly go around almost celebrating this.

Finding out you're a futile blip/fart in space time is not a reason to smile. Celebrating that you're an advanced fungus on a tiny planet doesn't make sense.

By all means boast you're right and rub evidence in peoples faces but at least do it in a miserable mood, you've just found out you're space poo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

The job bridge scheme. When so many people can't get jobs, the government's solution is to allow companies to fill the few vacant positions they have with unpaid workers.

Beggars in Dublin wearing hundred euro nikes. following on from that, having a big needle be the largest landmark in a city with a huge heroin problem. Wait that does make sense I guess.

The ESB having a big long theatrical advert in the cinema. Or any advert at all really.

A major religion that is homophobic yet at the same time won't allow its priests to be in a relationship with a woman.giving the gay men in a society dominated by said religion the following choices: be ostracized and live in damnation if you come out, have to live a lie if you stay in the closet and be looked upon with suspicion if you don't marry, or.... Become a priest, get treated like a king, all suspicion of sinful gayness lifted, and, if you like em young, well, you're sorted boyo. Oh, did we mention the free wine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

corktina wrote: »
    no way...PAY to do what I could do at home just as well?

I'm not sure what kind of work out you do in the gym but I do not have the equipment in my home that I'd use in the gym. I'd say the majority don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

When a famous singer dies and loads of people immediately rush out to buy his or her albums. These people weren't previously interested enough in this persons music to buy their albums but now that they're dead they can't get enough of them. Some people went through their entire lives without feeling the need to own Bad or Thriller, but as soon as Michael Jackson died they just have to have them. I don't get what it is about someone being dead that makes their music more appealing.

The Cult of Celebrity

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

razorblunt wrote: »
    6 pairs of socks go into the wash. Guesswork how many comes back out.
    3 black socks of different sizes ?

Magnets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Alice Cooper doing a tour with Marilyn Manson :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭concur4u?

honest gardi

Advertisement