Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lions vs Brumbies Lineup

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

sydthebeat wrote: »
    A far as I know there was a ' stands by cover' list, and players knew they were on it.

Also, how do we know sw wasn't notified to be stand by?

Ah yes, see your point now.

While making up the 'Stand by / Cover List' Gatty, Andy & Graham scour old Lions tour photo albums. ("Remember Shane, great little winger .... must see if he's around. Pity Big Tim is on holiday on Mars, he'd have been good too").

What are the odds of the entire rugby media missing out on SW being an obvious 'stand by' and Visser / Brown / Ashton not being considered ? ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Can you name all those on stand by??

The point about sw is logistical and its been done to death already.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,789 ✭✭✭✭phog

Buer wrote: »
    I won't bother acknowledging the repeated rhetorical questions.

I'm sure he was relaxing and on holiday mode but that doesn't exactly mean he's in the boozer every day. He's not going to lose a huge amount of fitness in a few weeks if he has been looking after himself.

Regardless, you've a big issue with his call up and that he's not fit to do the job, I don't think he'll let anyone down. Moving on.

I had an issue with Williams being called up, he's there now so best of luck to him.

My previous points were to clarify while he clearly hasn't retired from rugby he's playing it at a lower level than what one would expect to see players being called up to for the Lions squad, he's also wouldn't be as sharp as the players who were involved with their countries in summer tours. I also think his fitness levels would not be that of the likes of Visser who would probably have loved the opportunity to play just one midweek game for the Lions.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Don't see the issue of using SW in a non-game when he's a short journey away from the camp. Logistics at this stage of the tour is massive.

Can you name all those on stand by??

The point about sw is logistical and its been done to death already.

Can you ?
    Can anybody ?

I wasn't aware (unlike yourself it would seem) that a definitive list existed,
    but it seems odd that those players considered by many knowledgeable sources to have been in contention for selection to the squad were not judged to be available to be included in this category.

How likely is it that somebody like Visser would choose to take himself off on a 'remote area trek combined with excessive eating holiday' in Alaska if he had been asked to place himself on stand by ?.

And if he wasn't in Alaska wtf wasn't he flown out ?
    A Lions jersey, maybe the only chance he'll ever get one ?
    He have walked to Australia & played like a champion !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

For Paws wrote: »
    Point 1. How can the Australians justify withdrawing their entire squad from non-Test matches ?. Reds & 'Tahs players particularly. The match against the 'Combined' should have been scheduled for tomorrow as the last non-Test game.
    there was plenty of time between the Reds v Lions & 'Tahs v Lions games and the 1st Test for at least some Oz squad players to have been available.

They were for the Tahs and Brumbies games.

Should the BIL also be forced to play BOD in these fixture because the Aussie clubs have an equal right to demand the strongest team?

The Wallabies, already decimated by injury, could have barely made it to the tests if they gave the front line players further games as proved by the late injuries in the last round of the S15.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If you don't know any players who were told they were on stand by, fine, but some have already come out and said it...perhaps you should look it up.

On the sw point, if by 'in this category' you mean a wing player in australia who's available for one game'...then your pool of players is very limited isn't it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

For Paws wrote: »
    Can you ?
    Can anybody ?

I wasn't aware (unlike yourself it would seem) that a definitive list existed,
    but it seems odd that those players considered by many knowledgeable sources to have been in contention for selection to the squad were not judged to be available to be included in this category.

How likely is it that somebody like Visser would choose to take himself off on a 'remote area trek combined with excessive eating holiday' in Alaska if he had been asked to place himself on stand by ?.

And if he wasn't in Alaska wtf wasn't he flown out ?
    A Lions jersey, maybe the only chance he'll ever get one ?
    He have walked to Australia & played like a champion !

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the standby list available for consultation when the squad was originally announced? Although perhaps not, as I'm sure the media would have been all over it had Shane Williams's name been included.

We've already gone through the pros & cons of Ashton, but yeah, Visser can feel fairly hard done by as well. Aside from a potential suspect defence, he's extremely potent and not many players have scored twice against the All-Blacks in one of their first international tests.

If you don't know any players who were told they were on stand by, fine, but some have already come out and said it...perhaps you should look it up.

On the sw point, if by 'in this category' you mean a wing player in australia who's available for one game'...then your pool of players is very limited isn't it ;)

Know where I could 'look it up' ?

Can't wait to read SW's name on it.

I should of course reveal at this point that I was asked by the Lions management to place myself on 'stand by' and to travel should the need arise.
    However, up to this point modesty has prevented me from making this public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

OnTheCouch wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the standby list available for consultation when the squad was originally announced? Although perhaps not, as I'm sure the media would have been all over it had Shane Williams's name been included.

We've already gone through the pros & cons of Ashton, but yeah, Visser can feel fairly hard done by as well. Aside from a potential suspect defence, he's extremely potent and not many players have scored twice against the All-Blacks in one of their first international tests.

There was a standby list for players like Best & Corbisiero, there was always a chance they'd get called up. An unexpected amount of injuries on the wing, so Williams wouldn't have been on any list, it's just a stop gap situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,789 ✭✭✭✭phog

OnTheCouch wrote: »

I can recall reading that Zebo had indicated he wasn't on standby, yet, he's out there now. I certainly haven't seen an official Lions standby list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Rightwing wrote: »
    There was a standby list for players like Best & Corbisiero, there was always a chance they'd get called up. An unexpected amount of injuries on the wing, so Williams wouldn't have been on any list, it's just a stop gap situation.

Wade said he wasn't on standby either. We've moved well beyond the standby list in the backs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Wade said he wasn't on standby either. We've moved well beyond the standby list in the backs!

There's probably 1 or 2 at home that are on the list, eg Robshaw. Just the way the injuries pan out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

No Standby List was ever announced, however 30 players had Visa paperwork completed in the event they were summoned on short-notice.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/britishandirishlionsrugby/10055003/British-and-Irish-Lions-2013-Warren-Gatland-optimistic-Brian-ODriscoll-will-be-fit-for-Australia-tour.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Is this on at 10:00 or 10:30?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,187 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Swan Curry wrote: »
    Is this on at 10:00 or 10:30?

10.40 kick off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Anyone got a link for this game yet? Please/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

If you're listening on the radio in the UK or if you can get Talksport in the Republic Tommy Bowe is doing the analysis on the radio commentary. I'm sure it won't be anything overly insightful as he is hardly going to criticise his fellow teammates but could be worth a listen I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Looking forward to this. I think the Lion's team will surprise a few people today.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Advertisement