Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lions vs Brumbies Lineup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,051 ✭✭✭✭phog

I don't agree with how Williams is being called up/used but he's there now so G'wan the Lions, here's hoping for another win in the lead up to the first Test.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

twinytwo wrote: »
    then why did gatty bring 2 OH's??? its all well and good for him to say hogg can play 10, not agaisnt the aussies he cant... they will make **** of him all day. If farrell gets injured on tuesday as much as i hate the guy the lions are in a very awkward situation
    Gatland has complained about the squad size for the Lions, like he was constrained against picking a bigger squad. Have a feeling that if he could have picked a 45 man squad he would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Gatland has complained about the squad size for the Lions, like he was constrained against picking a bigger squad. Have a feeling that if he could have picked a 45 man squad he would have.

After the farce in '05 I think it won't ever happen that a Lions squad is that big again. Injuries will always occur but I think it's better to call guys up when needed. It's better for building squad morale & unity

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭ColmH81

HigginsJ wrote: »
    After the farce in '05 I think it won't ever happen that a Lions squad is that big again. Injuries will always occur but I think it's better to call guys up when needed. It's better for building squad morale & unity

Seems to be the way he's doing it..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

I'm going to come out and say it. I m delighted for Williams. One of my all time favourites.

Cheer up boys your mightn't like how he was selected but the guy has retired 136 times and scored a try everytime.

Shane Williams anytime try scorer = banker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭ColmH81

I'm going to come out and say it. I m delighted for Williams. One of my all time favourites.

Cheer up boys your mightn't like how he was selected but the guy has retired 136 times and scored a try everytime.

Shane Williams anytime try scorer = banker

There's no doubting his quality.. I hope he (still) has what's needed...

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

Even though I like S. Williams and hope he does well on Tuesday, there is something slightly farcical about the whole situation. It leaves the whole party open to ridicule IMHO.

I mean if Gatland needed emergency replacements who were already in the country, surely Andy Farrell could have filled in at centre to cover for the injuries in that position this week? After all, he hasn't stopped playing that long, the opposition isn't the best, he's a big strong lad and it could be an opportunity for the first father-son combo to appear together for the Lions. :D

Well, no, I jest...but the Williams situation isn't a million miles away from such a scenario I feel.

And what if Shane does really well this week and scores a hat-trick? Unlikely, but certainly not impossible with his past record. Surely Gatland wouldn't go then 'Thanks for that Shane, see you round.' Or would he?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Buer wrote: »
    Can it just be clarified, once and for all, that Shane Williams is not retired from rugby and is still playing professionally in Japan. He's there for one game. He was already en route to Australia.

I don't agree particularly with his call up but there's been a lot of misinformation floating around regarding this.

Did you see the documentary of Shane Williams playing in Japan? I think its available on youtube. He was playing for a team that wasn't in the top league. There was about 50 people watching the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Don't think I've ever hoped to see SOB taken off at HT/50m before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Blackheath wrote: »
    It's a cause of anybody but chris Ashton

What's the deal with Ashton not being near the squad? Sorry I'm completely out of the loop here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

OnTheCouch wrote: »
    And what if Shane does really well this week and scores a hat-trick? Unlikely, but certainly not impossible with his past record. Surely Gatland wouldn't go then 'Thanks for that Shane, see you round.' Or would he?

Williams will 100% be sticking around.

The notion that Williams will play tomorrow and be packed off to Japan sort of overlooks the fact that the Lions still have to play Melbourne next Tuesday; I can't see Gatland rushing Bowe or North back for that one, so that still only leaves Kearney/Halfpenny/Zebo/Maitland/Cuthbert/Wade as back-three players. Three of those (probably Halfp/Maitland/Cuthbert) will have played the first test so we're then left with Kearney/Zebo/Wade; that leaves you with no back-three cover on the bench and it's all predicated on no-one else getting injured.

I'm sure Gatland won't want to use him but Williams will be in the tour party for the duration I'd say.

The smart thing to do would be to get Fergus McFadden on a plane. Centre and wing covered (not at test level but more than adequate for Melbourne), goal-kicking option, done.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Williams will be sticking around because he's contracted to Talksport to do commentary on the tests. He won't be involved with the Lions after tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Even though I like S. Williams and hope he does well on Tuesday, there is something slightly farcical about the whole situation. It leaves the whole party open to ridicule IMHO.

I mean if Gatland needed emergency replacements who were already in the country, surely Andy Farrell could have filled in at centre to cover for the injuries in that position this week? After all, he hasn't stopped playing that long, the opposition isn't the strongest, he's a big strong lad and it could be an opportunity for the first father-son combo to appear together for the Lions. :D

Well, no, I jest...but the Williams situation isn't a million miles away from such a scenario I feel.

I agree with this. Is this calling in of Williams saying that North, Bowe, Cuthbert are all injured and cannot play tuesday?

What about one of Maitland and Zebo starting again?, I've no issue with Wade he deserves a call up.

I see Roberts is missing the 1st test thru injury. What's the story with Tuilagi?, are we looking at Jonathan Davies and BOD now. Who will man the wings come saturday?, could it be Maitland (God help us) and Zebo?, is that why they needed another winger?

Can it just be clarified, once and for all, that Shane Williams is not retired from rugby and is still playing professionally in Japan. He's there for one game. He was already en route to Australia.

I don't agree particularly with his call up but there's been a lot of misinformation floating around regarding this.

Can it also be clarified that Williams has retired from International rugby and plays in a Japanese league which is hardly the power house of rugby.

He was also not expected to be named so was hardly keeping to the usual fitness regime of a pro player that might be hopeful of a call-up or invovled in their countries summer tours, he was more likely in holiday mode so there may be a question mark over his fitness giving the short noice of the call-up.

phog wrote: »
    Can it also be clarified that Williams has retired from International rugby and plays in a Japanese league which is hardly the power house of rugby.

He was also not expected to be named so was hardly keeping to the usual fitness regime of a pro player that might be hopeful of a call-up or invovled in their countries summer tours, he was more likely in holiday mode so there may be a question mark over his fitness giving the short noice of the call-up.

Grand, feel free to. My point was people are repeatedly saying he's retired and being called out from where he was which is entirely incorrect. Him being retired from international rugby really isn't relevant at all given players have been in the same boat before and toured despite having called time internationally.

He was training full time for a boxing event that took place a couple of weeks ago. He'll be lacking match sharpness but I would think his conditioning is pretty good as it always has been. I'm sure Gatland didn't give him a shout thinking "This lad has been on the sake and sushi non stop for the past 2 months."

It wouldn't have been my call at all to bring in SW but there's clearly a crisis for the wing spots at the moment and the first test around the corner. He's in Australia anyway, is in decent nick, has toured twice before and will be playing one single game. Whilst I get that people aren't fans of it, I don't get the widespread indignation given the circumstances.

What's the deal with Ashton not being near the squad? Sorry I'm completely out of the loop here.

If the squad were to be chosen simply on ability and ratio of international tries/appearances, Ashton would be a nailed-on choice, plus he would probably make the bench for the Tests as back-up winger.

However, things are not always as straightforward as this.

First of all, he is coming off a fairly mediocre season, even though he did improve a bit at the tail-end of it.

Secondly and probably most importantly, he certainly comes with baggage, for his antics on the pitch more than anything, exactly the sort of headlines the Australian journalists would lap up to put pressure on the squad. I would say it is more a desire on Gatland's part not to create an additional negative focus on the party, so he has hitherto preferred equally talented but considerably less 'box office' players such as Zebo and Wade to call up. Ashton would certainly attract headlines, no matter what way you want to look at it and an extra media circus is probably not what the coach wants at this pivotal time.

Although he did originally call up Hartley, an equally divisive figure, so there may be other reasons for Ashton not getting the call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

If the squad were to be chosen simply on ability and ratio of international tries/appearances, Ashton would be a nailed-on choice, plus he would probably make the bench for the Tests as back-up winger.

However, things are not always as straightforward as this.

First of all, he is coming off a fairly mediocre season, even though he did improve a bit at the tail-end of it.

Secondly and probably most importantly, he certainly comes with baggage, for his antics on the pitch more than anything, exactly the sort of headlines the Australian journalists would lap up to put pressure on the squad. I would say it is more a desire on Gatland's part not to create an additional negative focus on the party, so he has hitherto preferred equally talented but considerably less 'box office' players such as Zebo and Wade to call up. Ashton would certainly attract headlines, no matter what way you want to look at it and an extra media circus is probably not what the coach wants at this pivotal time.

Although he did originally call up Hartley, an equally divisive figure, so there may be other reasons for Ashton not getting the call.

I don't think that's true at all. Ashton is a good finisher, but in terms of all round game he's a pretty average winger

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

trouttrout wrote: »
    I don't think that's true at all. Ashton is a good finisher, but in terms of all round game he's a pretty average winger

Why? I this based on the 6 Nations again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Why? I this based on the 6 Nations again?

Nope, poor enough kicker, poor enough defender imo

Picks a nice line every now and again but doesn't have the best footwork

Great runner and has a great work rate in defence. He's not the best one on one tackler around but incredible physicality around the rucks makes him like an extra flanker. His non-presence in Australia is based on a lot more than his rugby, I would think. Christian Wade can't tackle his dinner.

• Advertisement

What you're saying is not entirely incorrect, but I think you have to think of it like a striker in football who may not have the best overall all-round game, but is a deadly finisher and for that reason alone should be in the team.

Maybe 'ability' was the wrong word to use, something like 'supremely efficient' may have been better to describe Ashton. Even though this looks like ridiculous hyperbole now, this is after all someone who after getting nine tries in his first nine caps or something like that was being described as a potential great of the game and it was said that Rory Underwood's 49 tries would be surpassed sooner rather than later. Again, extreme hype, but I do think he still remains a very clinical rugby player. After all, he was playing for England in rugby league as a teenager.

I would argue also that playing on the wing is not as difficult to learn as other positions in rugby, such as the back row. Which is why Ashton had relatively few problems making the transition from rugby league, as opposed to someone like Andy Farrell, who struggled a little bit, despite his legendary status in the 13-man game. Although it should be noted that Farrell was considerably older than Ashton also when he changed sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Nope, poor enough kicker, poor enough defender imo

Picks a nice line every now and again but doesn't have the best footwork

He's a solid defender, not poor anyway. He also works hard, often showing up in midfield for Sarries to take ball on. He may be a poor kicker but that's not a requirement for a winger (North, Bowe would be the starting Lions!).

He's a very good player. He's just picked up a dodgy reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Would this mean that Williams joins the list of people that have been selected for 3 Lions tours or does this one not really count.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,263 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

just a though.. a few days ago the joke here was monye was joining the tour... doesnt seem to funny now does it :|

Grand, feel free to. My point was people are repeatedly saying he's retired and being called out from where he was which is entirely incorrect. Him being retired from international rugby really isn't relevant at all given players have been in the same boat before and toured despite having called time internationally.

He was training full time for a boxing event that took place a couple of weeks ago. He'll be lacking match sharpness but I would think his conditioning is pretty good as it always has been. I'm sure Gatland didn't give him a shout thinking "This lad has been on the sake and sushi non stop for the past 2 months."

It wouldn't have been my call at all to bring in SW but there's clearly a crisis for the wing spots at the moment and the first test around the corner. He's in Australia anyway, is in decent nick, has toured twice before and will be playing one single game. Whilst I get that people aren't fans of it, I don't get the widespread indignation given the circumstances.

How many of these retired internationals were playing in something like the Japanese league? Were they added to the initial squad if yes then their fitness wouldn't need to be questioned.

Wasn't the fight back at the end of May, if he took the summer off after that with only some light training then his sharpness/fitness could be a real issue, even if for 80mins of rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

So the brumbies +13, looks a decent bet to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Should also point out that being parachuted into top-flight rugby after being in Japan for a while doesn't mean you can't hack it anymore...

Brad-Thorn-in-spotlight-as-Leinster-win-Finals-Rugby-news-update-156714.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 41,263 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Rightwing wrote: »
    So the brumbies +13, looks a decent bet to me.

Wow, definitely worth pop at that. I might put a few quid on a brumbie win and cover it with the spread.

phog wrote: »
    How many of these retired internationals were playing in something like the Japanese league? Were they added to the initial squad if yes then their fitness wouldn't need to be questioned.

Wasn't the fight back at the end of May, if he took the summer off after that with only some light training then his sharpness/fitness could be a real issue, even if for 80mins of rugby.

You know it's now only mid June, right?

I don't agree with SW's call up but not at all on the basis that I think he's going to struggle for fitness. He has always been one of the most naturally fit and sharp wingers in the world. I'd be more concerned with Christian Wade arriving in camp on Monday and starting a game on Tuesday with a 13 hour time difference after a 15 hour flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Williams will be fine, Zebo will get about 30 mins so he only need to last 50. You don't become that unfit in a month and a bit.

Advertisement