Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your game!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Tampax have withdrawn their sponsorship offer. The rough period is over.

Four birdies, none of them further than 8 feet, beating the CSS by six shots. I'd forgotten how good it felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭benny79

+1 for the back 9 off the blues.. This game is mad had a shocker of a round Saturday at the board's outing, looked over my notes from previous lessons fixed my driving /woods then go out and shoot a +1! The back 9 is actually the harder 9.
    I was -1 goin onto 16 (index 1) down green side in 2, hit perfect chip uphill and just didn't bite think its cas i was using a cheap ball, I keep my good ones for comps... Then bogied 17 (index 3) its a 90 deg dogleg right so u play down to corner about 230 yds hit 3 wood and actually hit it to well ran out of fairway so was blocked out..

But so chuffed to shoot +1 if i can only do it in competition! I'll be laughing..

1 birdie
    6 pars
    2 bogies

• Registered Users Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Glebee

Game improving slowly but surely I think. Not really duffing balls anymore and getting a decent strike most of the time.

Anybody else like playing early morning golf. Tee off at seven and have the rest of the day to get some work done. Ive been bitten by the bug for early morning golf since the good weather arrived. Just back in from 9 holes. It was glorious out there this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 pctrouble

Played Killeen Castle this morning.

Off 24 and found it extremely difficult, granted it was a competition and pins were in troubling positions.

Probably one of the harder courses I ever played, beyond my current skill level and just didn't enjoy it at all.

Felt like I was chasing the ball around whispy rough and finding wayward shots off the tee was a struggle.

Wouldn't be overly pushed to play it again, although that's far more because it's too difficult for me at present and not down to the course itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I broke my handicap for the first time in eons last weekend in the fourball. My putting was weak enough but my long game was as good as it's ever been. Have the singles comp tomorrow morning so we'll see if I can keep it together.

Stupid as this sounds I'm finding chipping practice before my round to help a ton. I never used to do it but just gets you a bit of touch built up before the round

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Well after the lessons at Carnoustie couple weeks ago, a a game last week tying to put it all in Place..

had an excellent 77 (5 over) yesterday

Finish 3rd

All working out well

Onwards...

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

My game is beyond mental. Here's a quick recap of the past 3 months;

Joined a new club. Handicap of 16 carried over from previous clubs. Played 2 stableford comps at the beginning of June, 33 points in each. 4 scratches in both comps. Not played a single player comp since last one (end of june). However, I have been getting out 2 times a week, working on my driving & mainly putting, whilst getting 9 holes or 12 holes in here or there.

Played 9 holes 3 times this month - 3 over, 4 over, 3 over.
    Played a 2 man comp (best score, full handicaps) - 43 points through my own scoring (gross score 8 over
    Played a 4 man comp - 45 points on my own scorecard (Gross of 6 over)

Had already been signed up to play in an Irish golfer event on Sunday. Thought I'd be a shoe in to win it as it seems I'm playing out of my skin. 28 points. Couldn't drive the ball, couldn't putt. I then went out to Castleknock yesterday and shot 39 points off 13 (levels match with mate), with 3 scratches & a 1 pointer.

So currently going out and feel confident enough to play, to worst, 10 over (especially on my own track). I've no idea what's going on.

One thing I'd like to improve is my pitch/chipping game (from 40 yards and greenside pitching). I'm constantly putting the ball 10-15 feet past the whole. Sometimes I throw the ball too far, sometimes it releases too much. Really struggling to find a consistent strike for chipping, has anyone got any good videos/articles to help that side of a game?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

wardides wrote: »

Joined a new club. Handicap of 16 carried over from previous clubs. Played 2 stableford comps at the beginning of June, 33 points in each. 4 scratches in both comps. Not played a single player comp since last one (end of june). However, I have been getting out 2 times a week, working on my driving & mainly putting, whilst getting 9 holes or 12 holes in here or there.

Played a 2 man comp (best score, full handicaps) - 43 points through my own scoring (gross score 8 over

Had already been signed up to play in an Irish golfer event on Sunday. Thought I'd be a shoe in to win it as it seems I'm playing out of my skin. 28 points. Couldn't drive the ball, couldn't putt. I then went out to Castleknock yesterday and shot 39 points off 13 (levels match with mate), with 3 scratches & a 1 pointer.

So currently going out and feel confident enough to play, to worst, 10 over (especially on my own track). I've no idea what's going on.

One thing I'd like to improve is my pitch/chipping game (from 40 yards and greenside pitching). I'm constantly putting the ball 10-15 feet past the whole. Sometimes I throw the ball too far, sometimes it releases too much. Really struggling to find a consistent strike for chipping, has anyone got any good videos/articles to help that side of a game?

Rick Shiels has some good videos on youtube. 3 in particular, his 'perfect pitch' method, has good instruction and provides instruction on how to pitch/chip up to 100 yds.

The master, Phil Mickelson,also provides good youtube videos on chipping using his 'hinge and hold' method. Ideal for greenside chips and possibly what you are looking for.
    Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

wardides wrote: »

How often do you practice chipping/pitching?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

How often do you practice chipping/pitching?

Probably practiced 2 hours a week the last couple of weeks. Bit of an issue in our place is that there's 2 practice greens with 4 flags. However both greens are ridiculously sloped and not exactly in perfect roll shape. Have started practicing my distance control by putting a towel down a certain distance and trying to land the ball there. Frustrating thing is I can probably do this bulk of the time, but as I said it's when I get out on course I find it hard to figure out of the ball will release or hold, which is all my stroke.

Will continue on to see if i can get a more consistent stroke, will only come with practice I imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

My game was flying. Best Nett in JSC, rounds of 40, 41 & 41 followed. Cut 2.6 shots to single figures. Then go and break a hand. FML

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

slingerz wrote: »
    My game was flying. Best Nett in JSC, rounds of 40, 41 & 41 followed. Cut 2.6 shots to single figures. Then go and break a hand. FML

No way, that's tough.

Have to do serious work on my fairway woods. They are diabolical, cant hit ball at all. 9 out of 10 I balls it up. Its stopping me using it and Ill go for an 4 iron instead. I suppose hit the range with only the 5 wood in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Keano wrote: »
    Every golfer has been there. Stop counting your score and just go play golf. When your round is done don't count it back, just pack the clubs away and look forward to the next game. You will enjoy the rounds a lot more and in a while might feel like counting again.

Finally played a decent round!!!! Got a 0.6 cut, to stop the run of 0.1s
    Playing a bit more consistently in practice too.

Thanks for the advice Keano, it definitely helped. Along with a new set of irons too.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Glebee wrote: »
    Ill go for an 4 iron instead

Just scanned over the 10 commandments,
    "Thou must only hit wood from fairways on par5's" did not make the shortlist :)

(An asset to have a solid 4i from fairways that you can rely on!)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,056 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Just quick question. Is there any decent apps out there that track your golf swing or even track your ball?

Paying one's are fine once decent.

I know trackman is about but that's a little too expensive ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 pctrouble

Played Naas this morning, and despite the light rain throughout I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I've not got an official handicap but assign myself 22, and scored 27 points.

It's not great, but it's good for me!

Starting to get to grips with my tee shots and my pitching from 20-30 yards is coming along.

Progress :)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

I should never have gone on holidays.

90, 93, and 90 were the last three rounds I played before going away for three weeks. My goal for the year was to break 90 off the whites so was just on the brink.

Back 3 weeks now and having a disaster. Changing things with almost every swing of the club and my driver is now snap hooking 90% of the time doing the same thing that had fixed my slice only 6 weeks ago.

This game is maddening.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,113 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

pakman wrote: »
    my driver is now snap hooking 90% of the time doing the same thing that had fixed my slice only 6 weeks ago.
    If you have been feeling the feeling for 6 weeks then you are probably overdoing it now and need to go back the other way.

When you first change it will feel different, but overtime it should stop feeling different, if you are still making the effort and it still feels different you are deffo overdoing it. Listen to the ball flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Just quick question. Is there any decent apps out there that track your golf swing or even track your ball?

Paying one's are fine once decent.

I know trackman is about but that's a little too expensive ha.
    There are some that attach to the top of your grip and can tell you a fair bit about your swing, impact etc. Did a quick Google and came up with this one for $149. There are others that attach to your golf glove, but don't give as much info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,113 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

prawnsambo wrote: »
    There are some that attach to the top of your grip and can tell you a fair bit about your swing, impact etc. Did a quick Google and came up with this one for $149. There are others that attach to your golf glove, but don't give as much info.

I have this one
    https://www.tittlegolf.com/tittle_x.html

I've never actually used it out on the course, but use it when "practicing" out the back

GreeBo wrote: »
    If you have been feeling the feeling for 6 weeks then you are probably overdoing it now and need to go back the other way.

When you first change it will feel different, but overtime it should stop feeling different, if you are still making the effort and it still feels different you are deffo overdoing it. Listen to the ball flight.

I've been hoping this is the case alright. Dying to get to the range to find out if I can solve it but its such a nightmare on the course.

PLaying partner did say most start out with a slice, then move to a snap hook before finally getting a decent swing. He might have just been trying to make me feel better after my 4th triple though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Following on the 'how many practice swings' thread, I finally managed to evade the blind prick that was messing up my head at the end of July. In our club Long Handicap the GOY competition is best 8 scores out of 22 rounds of 10 holes plus one 18 hole competition. All five of my 10 holes after dropping the prick counted plus I got a fairly respectable 35 pts in the 18 hole.

It dawned on me as my golf was improving that I had previously been dreading going out and now I love it again. I was literally going to give the game up entirely. The moral of the story is some times you've got to lance the boil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

After playing quite a bit over this year I only played a handful of times in the last while.

My game, while still better had dropped off aswell. Went back in for a lesson today and found I'm now over doing the "move" from the previous lesson so much so that I need to feel the exact opposite. Obviously left it too long to go back.

So, a few rounds and I hope to get back to where I was.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've not played in around a month either, but have a lesson followed by a round tomorrow. Looking forward to having the pro tell me the stupid things i've been doing, and trying to actually fix them. I've a work round next weekend, so anything to help me not play ****e would be great.

Going to try using Hole 19 with my new smartwatch as well...looking forward to seeing how accurate that is.

Getting 18 holes in every week this weather and am actually really happy with the way my game is coming on, apart from my slice which rears it ugly head every now and again. Im getting a good strike on my ball most of the time and am shooting for Par on a lot of holes and sometimes get an odd birdie putt. Getting the Par/birdie is another thing..... I still have bad shots but they seem to becoming less and less.

My confidence seems to have grown as well in that im not too pushed who I play with or whos watching. Im guessing this is a major factor.

When I started back into golf late last year I used to dread teeing off if there were people looking or playing with people who were better than me, thats not as much a factor now. If I duff a shot I just move on.

Im still crap but I guess not as crap as I was earlier in the year.

Still have to get my cards in for a handicap though.:D

GreeBo wrote: »

You were absolutely right here. I hit the range for two nights during the week and just stopped doing the fix I had been concentrating on. The driver straightened out immediately or I started seeing a slight draw. Took it to the course yesterday and driver was the best part of my game.

I had 18 points on front nine and a disappointing 13 on back nine but, considering I had a few nightmare holes that were a lot of bad luck, I was very happy.

What's crazy about it is I now feel like I'm just going back to my old swing but with completely different results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

1st & 6th at weekend. Lost 0.6 and 0.1, I'm back in the game!!!!

Smashing the ball off the tee straight which I haven't done in ages. I never realised how much easier it is to play from the fairway!

Went out this morning early for a quick 9. Left after 5. Could not hit the ball out of my way.... Never played so poorly...:(
    Glad I was on my own because if I was with someone they would have thought I had never hit a ball before it was that bad...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Game was in a good place up until a few weeks ago. Injured my back in work and it's just coming right now.

I played the medal Sunday and , to my surprise, the first qualifier of 2019 for me. I was just planning on knocking the ball around so arrived with 15 minutes to go with no real prep done at all. I wasn't expecting anything great but I was so far off form I felt bad for my playing partners.

The course still has no growth so alot of muddy tight lies around the greens I was missing all day. I just wasn't skilled enough to adapt to the course. So, my highest score in a few years of 102.

Before the break I was seeing good imporvements in my long game hitting maybe 12-14 FIR. I'm looking to finally get fit for a driver this season as I know theres another 10-20yds of carry to gain from being more efficent with my swing speed. This will mean the longer courses I play during opens will play a little easier for me.

The other end of driving the ball well. My short irons are pretty bad. I've lost a good club to a club and half in distance from 9i down which is where some of my drives are leaving me from the green. I feel like I'm striking them and they are on line but come up short all the time so I can only guess its a dynamic loft issue, either way I'll need to get it looked at. I've been getting by hitting small 8i or cutting something into the green but it's not a part of my game I want to lose. When I was dropping shots last year alot of it was down to how good my short irons were.

Irons are similar but not as bad, just clubbing up and hoping its the winter thats losing me a club.

I went to a Titleist fitting day to see if they could fill a gap on the top end of my bag and something for bad lies in the rough and I was thinking a hybrid. Just like when I was fitted in Foregolf the result was I'm better with a driving iron in distance and dispersion. I hit my current driver better than theirs dispersion wise but it was the 10-20yds longer on carry. The demo Callaway I brought out felt better for me off the shelf and was carrying further so I'm getting my pro to give me a fitting on it.

My putting is still better than it used to be but I really need to start practicing again to tighten it up.

Lesson Thursday with alot of things to cover so it will be the first of a few I think.

Advertisement