Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think aliens exist

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

This from May earlier this year, make of it what you will...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

They will visit us one day, and they will look like David Bowie from The Man Who Fell To Earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

Do I think aliens are sexist?!?

Some. Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

With a few billion mobiles in the world and nobody has captured anything that is 100% conclusive I would say no, sad but no, we are alone, live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2013/01/05/how-many-planets-are-in-the-universe/

Belows quotes from above site!

ten trillion planets in our galaxy, alone!

around 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets in our observable Universe

So people who say there are no 'Aliens' need a good hard slap biggrin.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Reindeer wrote: »
    And they would have no reason for visiting us, not even for resources as they would be advanced enough to find or create them nearer to them.

Imagine if we were their experiment and they were watching us from a far!!!

Have a think about that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

The Truman Show springs to mind!!

Or Orion's belt on the cat in MIB :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

jay2013 wrote: »
    i dont believe in aliens.. there no proof of their existance i think its just nonsense made up to give certain people jobs

Ah like the seanad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

The Truman Show springs to mind!!

Or Orion's belt on the cat in MIB :eek:

Sounds more like the Americans - Prism sees all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

forget aliens. I wonder is there a parallel universe version of me that is more aggressive with a mustache.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Imagine if the experiment was the granting to us of free will.

The watch us from afar as we make our choices and decisions, good and bad.

In the end they judge us for what we have done.

We've no proof they exist but they do!

To all the doubters,get this..In our neighbouring Galaxy called Andromeda,there are 1 TRILLION Stars alone in that 1 Galaxy.

There are estimates of around 400 billion Galaxies in the Universe.

Thats a hell of a lot of Stars,never mind Planets.There must be something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

How do they know there is x amount of stars

Have they counted them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I watch History channel. Of course I do ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RealExpert

Yes Leinster house is full of them..........

Specialun wrote: »
    How do they know there is x amount of stars

Have they counted them.

I counted them earlier.Thank fcuk knowone disturbed me when I was on 990 billion,999 million........................................................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Oh.

Thought this was a thread about Allens.

Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Considering we have only explored 1% of the universe, there has to be some other life out there somewhere, it might not be human sized or anything like that, it could be as small as an amoeba and still be considered an alien lifeform

I'd imagine we've explored a lot less than 1% of the universe to be honest.

Not even 1% of the Milky Way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    We've explored close to zero % of the universe
    I'd imagine we've explored a lot less than 1% of the universe to be honest.

Not even 1% of the Milky Way.

well a little tiny weeny bit then :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Probably no
    https://xkcd.com/718/ :pac:

The short version of is that they should be here by now

unless...
    http://io9.com/11-of-the-weirdest-solutions-to-the-fermi-paradox-456850746

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Considering we have only explored 1% of the universe, there has to be some other life out there somewhere, it might not be human sized or anything like that, it could be as small as an amoeba and still be considered an alien lifeform
    Apart from some areas on the continental shelf we haven't even explored 1% of the ocean floor properly.

It's a truism that we know more about the surface of Mars than 50% of our own planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

If we had explored 1% of space that would mean we have explored literally billions of stars. We have explored like a dozen or so, maybe less. Im not even sure. But yeah its more like 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of space that we have 'explored'

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

It's much more likely to assume that intelligent life exists than not, considering how vast and old the universe is.

Now, as for them coming down here and doing the kind of guff the History Channel would peddle is different thing altogether.

"Did Aliens come to planet Earth and store items for humans to find? Find out on tonight's Storage Wars after Hitler's Alien Son on The History Channel."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

I think there are other possible life forms in the universe. Their Playstations are far more entertaining than ours are. Therefore they haven't bothered getting off the couch to come here.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

We dissect things we don't understand, nuke the things we fear, and eat it if it's tasty.

I can see why no aliens want to talk to the human race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

Yes, I do. The universe is far too large and expansive for there not to be, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

jay2013 wrote: »
    i dont believe in aliens.. there no proof of their existance i think its just nonsense made up to give certain people jobs

You could say exactly the same thing about God and priests.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Statistically it's almost a dead cert that lifeforms exist somewhere else in the universe whether they have infiltrated or are even aware of planet earth is alot less likely.

• Advertisement

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

Advertisement