Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Technology consuming everything

Options
  • 13-06-2013 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭

After have a minor bit of hassle with a sterling cheque I realised that cheques are on the way out and when that happens it will be the end of the company printing the cheque books and probably a big lose of jobs, it will be the same when the contactless technology is sorted out, it will mean the end of ATM cards and thus the end or the card company and the jobs in manufacturing ATM cards.

Or will the jobs in printing and card manufacturing be replaced by jobs in servicing the electronic banking industry and manufacturing electronic terminals?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Looking at the number of heads being moved around isn't really much, when you are removing people with one skill set and bringing in others with a different skill set. You're just juggling heads, not really improving employment prospects at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Looking at the number of heads being moved around isn't really much, when you are removing people with one skill set and bringing in others with a different skill set. You're just juggling heads, not really improving employment prospects at the end of the day.

But are they dis-improving job prospects in other words has technology done away with vast am out of jobs, it has made some industries redundant but maybe it has created new industries,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Us and France are like the last countries in europe using cheques on a large scale anyway they are pretty archaic as far as paying for things, time to move on i say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

However, what with all these improvements, there is a shortage of people skilled in security, cryptography and hacking. Get reading OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Just like when they invented the car, which put all those carraige drivers out of work. Or the wheel, and all those manual labour jobs went missing. This isn't a new phenomenon

What's the alternative? Keep an outdated system solely to keep people in jobs?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

mariaalice wrote: »
    But are they dis-improving job prospects in other words has technology done away with vast am out of jobs, it has made some industries redundant but maybe it has created new industries,

This is going to be an unpopular post.

When you hear "There are no jobs in Ireland", its actually incorrect. There are loads of jobs. You just need to be a skilled computer person to get one of them. Cheques have been replaced with a piece of software and someone needs to create and maintain that software.

The lodgement machines at Bank of Ireland allow for cheques to be lodged automatically. They serve little or no purpose now, in the world of online banking, credit and debit cards, and online shopping.

Jobs are always going to be made redundant because of advances, it's not the first time it has happened - it's probably been happening definitely for 200 years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The example you provided, if the heads are juggled like for like, it's stagnant more so. So you aren't increasing employment. Some lose jobs for others to get jobs somewhere else, with the same amount of people out one door and in another. The only benefit in your example is productivity and who reaps the profits from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Technology is creating far more jobs than it's making redundant. The gaming industry didn't exist 50 years ago, look at it now. That's the way the world works.

A change goin' come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

The street mime industry has never fully recovered from the invention of tv. Take a trip to the dole office and you'll see dozens of guys with white facepaint pretending to be trapped in a box or moving slowing up the queue as if they're walking against a really strong wind.

• Advertisement

I know it is just one industry replacing another thats the way of the world, but will the now technologies replace the same amount i.e the same head count as the old redundant technologies.

I know it is just one industry replacing another thats the way of the world, but will the now technologies replace the same amount i.e the same head count as the old redundant technologies.

Probably not.

The only people that will lose out are the ones that are too lazy to come to grasp with the new technologies or are unwilling to work around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Fukken technilogy takken our jaebs and wimmen!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

28064212 wrote: »
    What's the alternative? Keep an outdated system solely to keep people in jobs?

We already do that. They're called civil servants:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I often wonder if we continue with the current trajectory, will we have a situation in a few decades with significantly large 'inbuilt' unemployment in western nations?

On the spectrum of intellectual capacity, the jobs bar will shift considerably toward the nerdy, clever end with the replacement of the human element with automation - e.g. tesco self-checkout, assembly line robots, branch-free banks, the decline of bricks 'n mortar retail, and so on.

topper75 wrote: »
    I often wonder if we continue with the current trajectory, will we have a situation in a few decades with significantly large 'inbuilt' unemployment in western nations?

On the spectrum of intellectual capacity, the jobs bar will shift considerably toward the nerdy, clever end with the replacement of the human element with automation - e.g. tesco self-checkout, assembly line robots, branch-free banks, the decline of high street retail, and so on.

But someone has to design, manufacture, program, and maintain the new technology?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Same head-count? Impossible to judge. Overall progress as a civilisation? Yes. And again, what's the alternative? Keep a dead industry alive?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

40 years ago you could get a good job without an intercert. 30 years ago you didn't need a leaving cert to get a good job, 20 years ago you didnt need a degree. Now you need a masters :D

The trend does seem towards longer life, older age retirement and older age entering the workforce. In fact, in general, people these days don't become adults (in the sense of career, family, kids) until their 30s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I w uld si simthing but the la k of let ers is making it all very diff cult ti und rstand

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

This kind of thing happens regularly - new technology supersedes the old, everyone "shifts up" - that is, the top jobs are at the high-tech, high-skill end, and so on down to factory general operatives, for example, or equivalent, who will need at least a decent Leaving Cert and ideally a bit of third-level as well as some on-the-job technical training. This is how it's supposed to work, you know - as the species advances, so does every member. Back in the day, the same conversation was probably had about these here new-fangled flint axes, and what was to become of those big youngfellas with particularly sharp-ridged skulls. They probably went sharpening flint axes. With their skull-ridges. ;):D:D

BTW, I still use a chequebook - it is occasionally useful even yet.

• Advertisement

I am liking the answers, hopeful and up beat and realistic. I do read opinion pieces in Forbes and the like and it always annoys me when they go on about the loss of employment that the writer alway seems to forget the new technologies coming along to replace the old or when your read a piece about dummying down in education they seem to forget all the new technologies produced by those who have suppository had a dumbed downed education.

I am attracted to a hopefully view of the future.

I am liking the answers, hopeful and up beat and realistic. I do read opinion pieces in Forbes and the like and it always annoys me when they go on about the loss of employment that the writer alway seems to forget the new technologies coming along to replace the old or when your read a piece about dummying down in education they seem to forget all the new technologies produced by those who have suppository had a dumbed downed education.

I am attracted to a hopefully view of the future.

I think many of us who grew up with the original Star Trek are thus afflicted. I might be a cynical oul' bastid, but in the immortal words of Al Pacino in The Devil's Advocate, I'm a fan of Man!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43 y0pperz

It just means stupid people (e.g. those whose limited mental capacity only allows them to do basic tasks like scanning items through a checkout) will die out, and the smarter ones (those who can develop software to automate tasks like checking out at a supermarket) will survive. That's all.

y0pperz wrote: »
    It just means stupid people (e.g. those whose limited mental capacity only allows them to do basic tasks like scanning items through a checkout) will die out, and the smarter ones (those who can develop software to automate tasks like checking out at a supermarket) will survive. That's all.

No, I won't have that. Not everyone has the mindset or aptitude for hi-techy jobs. This does not mean that they are "stupid". There will always be roles for people who are more suited to working with their hands, arts/crafts, caregiving, etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

y0pperz wrote: »
    That's silly. Supermarkets would die out long before either of those scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I'm sorry, but I can't get over the typo in the thread title. Please edit OP.

The thing that technology consumes the most appears to be correct spelling. OMFG LULZ!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43 y0pperz

I kinda like it, I imagine it's spelled phonetically as someone from Derry or Antrim would pronounce the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

After have a minor bit of hassle with a sterling cheque I realised that cheques are on the way out and when that happens it will be the end of the company printing the cheque books and probably a big lose of jobs, it will be the same when the contactless technology is sorted out, it will mean the end of ATM cards and thus the end or the card company and the jobs in manufacturing ATM cards.

Or will the jobs in printing and card manufacturing be replaced by jobs in servicing the electronic banking industry and manufacturing electronic terminals?

wait why are they getting rid of atm cards?

• Advertisement

omahaid wrote: »
    40 years ago you could get a good job without an intercert. 30 years ago you didn't need a leaving cert to get a good job, 20 years ago you didnt need a degree. Now you need a masters :D

No you don't. You just need to be able to learn and apply that knowledge.

Advertisement