Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Technology consuming everything

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

y0pperz wrote: »
    It just means stupid people (e.g. those whose limited mental capacity only allows them to do basic tasks like scanning items through a checkout) will die out, and the smarter ones (those who can develop software to automate tasks like checking out at a supermarket) will survive. That's all.

It's the lower socio economic group that procreate the most.You would have to be slightly fearfull of the future if it's the isolated from society nerd types that are the future leaders of organisations and countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭batistuta9

topper75 wrote: »
    I often wonder if we continue with the current trajectory, will we have a situation in a few decades with significantly large 'inbuilt' unemployment in western nations?

On the spectrum of intellectual capacity, the jobs bar will shift considerably toward the nerdy, clever end with the replacement of the human element with automation - e.g. tesco self-checkout, assembly line robots, branch-free banks, the decline of bricks 'n mortar retail, and so on.

in a few generations time in Ireland there might end up being a shortage of people with trades

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

kneemos wrote: »
    It's the lower socio economic group that procreate the most.You would have to be slightly fearfull of the future if it's the isolated from society nerd types that are the future leaders of organisations and countries.

I'm a "nerd type" and I am not isolated from society. I am a 6' 2'', 220lb Alpha-male with a family and a full social life. I sit under trees and write Haiku, and my personal hygiene is above reproach. And I think it is high time us nerds stood up for ourselves. Kneel, mortals - the Geek is about to inherit the Earth. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

mariaalice wrote: »
    But someone has to design, manufacture, program, and maintain the new technology?

Are you taking the intellect spectrum into account? One does not lose a checkout girl job in Tesco and interview the following week for a position as a app developer or bio chemist.
    It just means stupid people (e.g. those whose limited mental capacity only allows them to do basic tasks like scanning items through a checkout) will die out, and the smarter ones (those who can develop software to automate tasks like checking out at a supermarket) will survive. That's all.

If you are right, those much maligned inter-generational social welfare recipients would be littering the streets with their corpses. I can assure from my observations in last week's sunshine - they are not. You can't apply crude Darwinist survival of the fittest. The people you see as being left behind stay with us. Technology proponents don't see the social trajectory playing out in full.
    jimgoose wrote: »
    No, I won't have that. Not everyone has the mindset or aptitude for hi-techy jobs. This does not mean that they are "stupid". There will always be roles for people who are more suited to working with their hands, arts/crafts, caregiving, etc. etc.

Are those labour markets not supplied in full already though? I can't foresee any other option beyond inbuilt mass unemployment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

123 LC wrote: »
    wait why are they getting rid of atm cards?

I think she is referring to contactless payments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

topper75 wrote: »
    ...Are those labour markets not supplied in full already though? I can't foresee any other option beyond inbuilt mass unemployment.

I wouldn't think so, no. Ever tried to get someone to do a bit of painting?? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 y0pperz

kneemos wrote: »
    You would have to be slightly fearfull of the future if it's the isolated from society nerd types that are the future leaders of organisations and countries.

Because the current leaders of our country are doing such a bang-up job? And in relation to organisations, Bill Gates is super-nerd number 1 and he's lead a pretty successful organisation for the last 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

After have a minor bit of hassle with a sterling cheque I realised that cheques are on the way out and when that happens it will be the end of the company printing the cheque books and probably a big lose of jobs, it will be the same when the contactless technology is sorted out, it will mean the end of ATM cards and thus the end or the card company and the jobs in manufacturing ATM cards.

Or will the jobs in printing and card manufacturing be replaced by jobs in servicing the electronic banking industry and manufacturing electronic terminals?

It also makes things cheaper though which in theory should mean we can afford to work less hours; making room for more people to make up for that. Doesn't always work out like that though although I suppose we are working less hours than the lads in the mines in the 1800s in UK for example. Then again there are still lots of people in the mines in other parts of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The main change which people are struggling to grasp with is the fact that there is a dwindling number of jobs where you can do the initial training and then you're set for life. Like taxi driving. Once you know how to drive, you're set, you basically never need to upskill to keep doing that job.

You can see this old mindset in the unions, where staff demand extra pay to work with new systems.

What technology is largely doing is turning all jobs into ones where you need to constantly educate yourself if you want to keep doing it. This is a good thing, not a bad thing. But people are struggling with it, and there will always be some people who never grasp it. Even within technology I've seen it - guys whose primary job is to maintain a piece of archaic software which is getting older and older. Then one day it's gone, the guy is let go, and all he knows is how to maintain a system which doesn't exist anywhere else, in a language that's 15 years obsolete.

It's just a mindset thing. Accept that the days of a job for life are coming to an end and that in order to work you will need to continually educate yourself. And accept that this is a good thing, instead of languishing in a cubicle and becoming increasingly ignorant and out of touch as time goes on, you will always be stimulating your mind and your creativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Looking at the number of heads being moved around isn't really much, when you are removing people with one skill set and bringing in others with a different skill set. You're just juggling heads, not really improving employment prospects at the end of the day.

Improving empoyment figures shouldn't be the ultimate aim.

I would love to see contactless payment come in, jobs be damned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Cheques are on the way out? good, archaic way of paying for things.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Human labour is being replaced by automation. A few engineers and operators can replace a much larger number of workers. Steam looms and the likes are early examples of this. New services aren't taking in the extra hands at a high enough rate. Ultimately I think a reduced working week would solve the un/underemployment but it's not good business. Who wants to employ more workers on reduced hours when each individual comes with added costs? For any job that requires expensive training and costs attached to the individual you want to maximise the number of hours you get out of each. It's not true of every business, for example: supermarkets like to have a large number of workers in order to stay flexible but these are usually lower paid jobs.

@Seamus: Thinking COBOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The future of technology can be seen in the slave era of North America,what did they do when they had slaves to do all the work?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

I kinda like it, I imagine it's spelled phonetically as someone from Derry or Antrim would pronounce the word.
    I was hoping it was intentional, coining a new word incorporating "nil" to imply the consuming effect of technewlogy:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

"Is Technilogy consuming everything "

O din't kniw what u mean

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

alot of businesses still use cheques so i doubt they will be gone anytime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

"Is Technilogy consuming everything "

O din't kniw what u mean

it cinsumed his o key

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Will wrote: »
    I was hoping it was intentional, coining a new word incorporating "nil" to imply the consuming effect of technewlogy:cool:

I am a phonetic speller, it has never done me any harm I have a good job I know spelling mistakes annoy people I accept that, but at the same time people need to get over them selves a bit. commenting on spelling in after hours can intimidate people from responding who might have something interesting to say, in a way its a form of bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

I am a phonetic speller, it has never done me any harm I have a good job I know spelling mistakes annoy people I accept that, but at the same time people need to get over them selves a bit. commenting on spelling in after hours can intimidate people from responding who might have something interesting to say, in a way its a form of bullying.
    As your reply seems to be directed to me rather than the poster/s who actually pointed out their perceived error, I fear you may have misinterpreted my post. Rather than perceive a spelling mistake, I thought (unintentional or not) it was a cool interpretation that actually reinforced your post.
    Perhaps I am just a fan of clever puns (and some silly ones)
    wil

Advertisement