Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Way run from Marlay to Roundwood - July 6th.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Good luck tomorrow folks I'm sure it'll be a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

Yeah, best of luck all, looks like you'll have savage weather for it. Hopefully, like the beer mile, this'll be the Inaugural 1st Annual Boards Wicklow Way Run cos this is something I'd absolutely love to do once iI've got a few more miles under my belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Likewise. Have a great and safe day everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Well I died a death on my way back! Hope you all had a good day out and nice running with ye. I needed a kick in the arse to get out for a long run and today was definitely a kick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Best long run ever :D

Thanks to Belcarra for organising and to Micilin Muc for the water at Curtlestown and to you all for the great company :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Best long run ever :D

Thanks to Belcarra for organising and to Micilin Muc for the water at Curtlestown and to you all for the great company :D
    I agree. Its not trivial to organise in advance for an indefinite number of people who might fit into one or perhaps two taxis to be picked up at an indefinite time in one or possibly two different locations in the middle of the country. All we had to do was enjoy the stroll in the sunshine and relax over pints afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

A brilliant day out, loved every bit (well most of it! :D). It is a blessing to have such a valuable resource on Dublin's doorstep and I know If I lived there I would be doing it more often.

Fantastic weather, views and company.

Thanks to everyone that made it what it was. I have a feeling it won't be the last one! I was happy to see Roundwood at the end though, what an adventure.

Will post up pictures tomorrow, one thing is for sure though, it looks so much easier in the pics than what it actually is! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Great day out - thoroughly enjoyable company - time went very fast.

Stuck a few pics on Facebook to get the ball rolling - PaulieYifter's FB Pics

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Great day out - thoroughly enjoyable company - time went very fast.

Stuck a few pics on Facebook to get the ball rolling - PaulieYifter's FB Pics

Pictures look fantastic P, reckon there will be a big demand for tickets next run!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Great weather, great run, great company.
    I'm counting it as a marathon- 24.4 miles across and 2 miles up (4,194 ft gain to be precise):D

Hopefully a regular event, thanks again to the Belcarra and blockic for following through on the idea to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

I don't have enough swear words to describe how I feel about this....:eek:
    I haven't suffered like that in a long time, I have a long list of excuses but don't need any of them.
    That is a fantastic run-walk-curse belcarra-run downhill smilling - curse belcarra some more and repeat a few times.
    Seriously, those of you lucky enough to have this on your doorstep get out and play there as often as you can. It puts a lot of kerry (and most of cork) to shame in terms of the trail itself and the scenery.
    A suitable setting for what I hope will be a regular-ish outing.
    Great to see and meet you all today, a fantastic bunch and some great running today.
    Thanks again to the spawn of Satan for organising this "fun" see you next time.
    My two travel buddies were equally impressed and will be making the return trip.
    A long bastarding hot day but the Salmon dinner on the way back down hit the spot.
    See you all next time, pics to follow.

Glad you made it home safe b. Nice to meet you and crew.

As promised;
    Photos Here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

I had a similar experience to this
    when I woke up this morning....that was one tough run!

Thanks Belcarra for organising it, and it was great to spend a day with like minded people over such beautiful terrain. I'd highly recommend the run, just don't underestimate the climbs :eek:

Here are some pics I managed to grab on the day.

Wicklow Way 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Really great run and it's nice to get to use the fitness you've built up to do something as enjoyable as this. It's going to have to be a regular fixture in the Board.ie calendar. Maybe b.harte will get his way and we'll all make the trip down to Kerry next time. Then we'll see how them there mountains compare to these here hills.

Good group and the banter was flying at the pitstops we took along the way. Blokic's camera didn't look too impressive but he took some might fine photographs. I'm always reluctant to bring a camera on these type of trips because the photos never match the reality. It's obvious now that it's just my photography skills that aren't up to scratch.

We all faded towards the end a little bit but 25 miles over them hills was never going to be easy. The pints in Roundwood seemed to perk up the spirits though. Is there anything a few beers can't cure?

Blokic's camera didn't look too impressive but he took some might fine photographs. I'm always reluctant to bring a camera on these type of trips because the photos never match the reality.

Haha, you barely brought a bottle of water, never mind a camera!! Didn't manage to get any of you though because you were always first to the top of those hills!! :D IMRA career perhaps?

My camera suffered heat damage yesterday, it calved during the final picture in Roundwood.
    From what I saw and felt yesterday the "hills" are more sustained climbs v the shorter steeper climbs in Kerry, except for that ^&*%$^^ climb from the stream up to the shoulder at Djouce, now that was steep.
    I really enjoyed yesterday, even if my legs seemed to refuse to make the journey from Cork.

So, 4 weeks time (Sat 3rd august) in Kerry? Get mini bus from Killarney to Glancar and plod back (so no hanging about for those on restricted passes), maybe finish at Torc for 36km or finish in Killarney for a nice 42km?
    We can start later for anyone making the trip.

Shall I start the thread? :)

blockic wrote: »
    Haha, you barely brought a bottle of water, never mind a camera!! Didn't manage to get any of you though because you were always first to the top of those hills!! :D IMRA career perhaps?

Running on the flat is tough enough blocky. Them IMRA runners are made of sterner stuff then me.
    b.harte wrote: »
    My camera suffered heat damage yesterday, it calved during the final picture in Roundwood.
    From what I saw and felt yesterday the "hills" are more sustained climbs v the shorter steeper climbs in Kerry, except for that ^&*%$^^ climb from the stream up to the shoulder at Djouce, now that was steep.
    I really enjoyed yesterday, even if my legs seemed to refuse to make the journey from Cork.

So, 4 weeks time (Sat 3rd august) in Kerry? Get mini bus from Killarney to Glancar and plod back (so no hanging about for those on restricted passes), maybe finish at Torc for 36km or finish in Killarney for a nice 42km?

A trip down to Kerry certainly sounds intriguing. I think yesterday's run has started me down a very dark path. It starts on the Wicklow Way and before you realise it, you're running 100 mile races over the Alps.

Really great run and it's nice to get to use the fitness you've built up to do something as enjoyable as this.

This. Sometimes it's too easy to keep looking at times and races, etc. but this is the real benefit.

What a day at Croke Park yesterday to top off one of the best weekends ever :)

• Advertisement

This. Sometimes it's too easy to keep looking at times and races, etc. but this is the real benefit.

Not so good for us down in Nowlan Park:(. Please God ye'll beat them again if ye meet them later in the championship.

First GAA I've watched from start to finish in a couple of years, fantastic stuff. Although Galway are over reliant on Canning it would appear from my poorly informed viewpoint.

As for the run Saturday, what a day for it. I had to strongly resist the temptation to head for Johnie Foxs on the way back and jump in a cab as opposed to cover the last 10k home on foot. I was fecked. I nearly drank the water fountain at Kilmashogue dry when I got to it! Good to see that enthusiasm for more of the same seems to be the general feeling among the gang.

jeffontour wrote: »
    First GAA I've watched from start to finish in a couple of years, fantastic stuff. Although Galway are over reliant on Canning it would appear from my poorly informed viewpoint.

As for the run Saturday, what a day for it. I had to strongly resist the temptation to head for Johnie Foxs on the way back and jump in a cab as opposed to cover the last 10k home on foot. I was fecked. I nearly drank the water fountain at Kilmashogue dry when I got to it! Good to see that enthusiasm for more of the same seems to be the general feeling among the gang.

Your poorly informed viewpoint is spot on.

On a separate note Jeff you mentioned there were some photos from the Trooperstown race floating around. Can you provide any links? Can't seem to locate the IMRA Facebook page either :o

IMRA Facebook page

I think you may need to be added by a group admin but I'm not sure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I think someone who is already a member of the group can invite a person via email to that group so I'm sure there's a couple of us here that can invite you.

I'm in the FB group now - thanks.

Some more photos here and here

b.harte wrote: »

Yes please ;) The Midlands HM has been cancelled the following week so I'm definitely on for this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Yes please ;) The Midlands HM has been cancelled the following week so I'm definitely on for this :D

Alas I just booked the Rock'n'roll HM for that weekend:(
    In fairness my calendar is booked up with races and stuff for most of the year til November:eek: so best off not waiting around for me!

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    Alas I just booked the Rock'n'roll HM for that weekend:(
    In fairness my calendar is booked up with races and stuff for most of the year til November:eek: so best off not waiting around for me!
    The HM is on Monday meaning you can still do this on Saturday ;)

Advertisement