Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Way run from Marlay to Roundwood - July 6th.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

What pace and distance are we talking here?

Hey lads, sorry for butting on your thread, if out of order please remove, I have a good friend who takes Hiking tours up this area for tourist and for fitness, New buisness venture, he is also a lisenced Taxi driver with a 9 Seater bus, Im sure he would love the chance to pick you guys up at your finishing point, would be a great opporunity for him to get some more feed back from like minded people.
    I hope this post is not out of order.

Neckedit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Enduro

belcarra wrote: »
    As long as your papers are in order!
    But just so you know where you stand...Culchie > Dub > Corkonian!
    You may be required to sit in Third class with blockic on the way back to Dublin...

Careful now! When it comes to Corkonians and the Wicklow way, Paul Tierney and myself might have something to say about who's in first class and who isn't :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

This thing is growing!
    Is there a consensus on a start time yet?
    Belcarra - what did you have in mind?

I am free and easy about start time.
    I'll propose to start at 10am in Marlay Park (North end of the park).
    If there is popular consensus to have a different time then I'm happy to change.

Enduro wrote: »
    Careful now! When it comes to Corkonians and the Wicklow way, Paul Tierney and myself might have something to say about who's in first class and who isn't :D

If your name's not down your not comin' in! :D

What pace and distance are we talking here?

It's approx 38km. Elevation gain appears to be approx 1,400m from the info I saw on IMRA website. We'll be taking it pretty handy regarding pace. I intend to do similar to my previous jaunt across the DMW and jog the easier hills and flats and run the downhills (let gravity decide on pace!). The steeper uphills I will probably ease to a hike.
    You should manage it if you have done a few mountain runs at all AR, but if in doubt an option could be to meet us at the road section near Glencullen. That way you will avoid the climb to Kilashogue/Tibradden and about 9km. An hour after kick off around there would be a good bet I reckon.

• Advertisement

neckedit wrote: »
    Hey lads, sorry for butting on your thread, if out of order please remove, I have a good friend who takes Hiking tours up this area for tourist and for fitness, New buisness venture, he is also a lisenced Taxi driver with a 9 Seater bus, Im sure he would love the chance to pick you guys up at your finishing point, would be a great opporunity for him to get some more feed back from like minded people.
    I hope this post is not out of order.

Neckedit

No problem at all Neckedit, it sounds like a good option for what we are looking for. If you wanna get a quote from him and PM me his details that would be great. Depending on numbers and if people end up doing different paces we may require a couple of journeys yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

It's approx 38km. Elevation gain appears to be approx 1,400m from the info I saw on IMRA website. We'll be taking it pretty handy regarding pace. I intend to do similar to my previous jaunt across the DMW and jog the easier hills and flats and run the downhills (let gravity decide on pace!). The steeper uphills I will probably ease to a hike.
    You should manage it if you have done a few mountain runs at all AR, but if in doubt an option could be to meet us at the road section near Glencullen. That way you will avoid the climb to Kilashogue/Tibradden and about 9km. An hour after kick off around there would be a good bet I reckon.

Think might be best for me to miss this, I haven't run beyond 12 miles this year so might not be the smartest thing to try this in 2nd week of marathon training plan

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

I would love to join you, but sadly (or maybe happily) I will only be returning from my hols on the 8th. Hope the sun shines for you all! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

As unofficial supporter supreme to WW attempts I feel a north to south to north run is well over-due. So you have no part in discussions regarding travel back this route as you shall be running it next time if I have my way!

Now dance monkey-boy, dance!!! :D

That goes for Tierney as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Name|Definite|Maybe
    Belcarra|Definite|
    Blockic|Definite|
    Sideswipe|Definite|
    Statss|Definite|
    DogSlySmile|Definite|
    Micilín Muc|Definite|
    Vader MLK||Maybe
    Krusty_Clown||Maybe
    Drquirky||Maybe
    PaulieYifter||Maybe
    nerraw||Maybe
    jeffontour||Maybe
    BeepBeep67||Maybe Baby
    career_move||Maybe|
    b.harte||Maybe|
    KielyU||Maybe|

I've been looking at these mountains everyday for the last half a year or so. About time I made my way up them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Enduro

jeffontour wrote: »
    As unofficial supporter supreme to WW attempts I feel a north to south to north run is well over-due. So you have no part in discussions regarding travel back this route as you shall be running it next time if I have my way!

Now dance monkey-boy, dance!!! :D

That goes for Tierney as well...

The amount of times I've heard it suggested that the next thing to do is out and back.... but *NEVER* by anyone who has actually run the thing :p

But yeah, If I was to join in this particular run, I wouldn't be looking for a taxi back ;)

It's great to see so much interest in this!

The amount of times I've heard it suggested that the next thing to do is out and back.... but *NEVER* by anyone who has actually run the thing :p

Paul Tierney said he'd do it.....

Yeah, I think if I do this I might take the out and back option. Would be nice if there were a few people doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

here's a link to this exact run, stopping at a bar in Roundwood. It should give you a good idea of the overall elevation and the general spread of climbs. As I remember it, the first climb from M50 to DMW junction and then Djouce were tough. It's a brilliant run though, I'm (almost) disappointed that I'll be in Florida :D

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/169428972

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

No problem at all Neckedit, it sounds like a good option for what we are looking for. If you wanna get a quote from him and PM me his details that would be great. Depending on numbers and if people end up doing different paces we may require a couple of journeys yet.

Pm sent
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Pass signed!
    :eek:
    Given I'm up at silly o' clock in the morning to drive to portumna, run around for a bit, and drive back I'm surprised she signed off so easily on this one.
    It'll cost me in the long run :(
    So a 10:00 start from Marley means a 6ish start from cork, can carry 3 if anyone from en-route fancies a go.

b.harte wrote: »
    Pass signed!
    Given I'm up at silly o' clock in the morning to drive to portumna, run around for a bit, and drive back I'm surprised she signed off so easily on this one.
    It'll cost me in the long run :(
    So a 10:00 start from Marley means a 6ish start from cork, can carry 3 if anyone from en-route fancies a go.

admirable commitment. I sincerely hope the weather plays ball, especially after your epic journey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

PaulieC wrote: »
    admirable commitment. I sincerely hope the weather plays ball, especially after your epic journey

A nice challenging run in the company of like minded individuals, worth the slog up, ye can pay back when the next outing will be in Cork or Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Name|Definite|Maybe
    Belcarra|Definite|
    Blockic|Definite|
    Sideswipe|Definite|
    Statss|Definite|
    DogSlySmile|Definite|
    Micilín Muc|Definite|
    Vader MLK||Maybe
    Krusty_Clown||Maybe
    Drquirky||Maybe
    PaulieYifter|Definitely...|...Maybe
    nerraw||Maybe
    jeffontour||Maybe
    BeepBeep67||Maybe Baby
    career_move||Maybe|
    b.harte||Maybe|
    KielyU||Maybe|

Right - got clearance from the Tower at home so I'll be there assuming the body's ok.

Next question: who is doing the 5k Park Run as a pipe opener before hitting the hills :) ?

Right - got clearance from the Tower at home so I'll be there assuming the body's ok.

Next question: who is doing the 5k Park Run as a pipe opener before hitting the hills :) ?
    The Tower??

The parkrun is a good idea. A nice warm-up and a chance to get your breath back before we start the real deal. We'll all be sprinting up Kilmashogue afterwards!:pac:

The Tower??

The parkrun is a good idea. A nice warm-up and a chance to get your breath back before we start the real deal. We'll all be sprinting up Kilmashogue afterwards!:pac:

Air Traffic Control Tower - also known as Mrs. Yifter.

• Advertisement

Air Traffic Control Tower - also known as Mrs. Yifter.

I'm assuming Mrs.Yifter is not a Boards aficionado...:pac:

We'll all be sprinting up Kilmashogue afterwards!:pac:

Not for long though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

Would love to & by coincidence will be in Dublin the following two weekends in July but sadly not that one :(

I'm assuming Mrs.Yifter is not a Boards aficionado...:pac:

Not that I'm aware of but I could be wrong :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Don hannon is doing the solo out and back on friday night...fb page

ultraman1 wrote: »

All the goading of Enduro on here (and elsewhere i'm sure!) and Don comes out of leftfield to steal the thunder!
    I'd assume we're talking approximately 50 hours or so for this??
    Fair play to him if he gets anywhere close to completion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

I'd assume we're talking approximately 50 hours or so for this??
    36 afaik

36 afaik

Fair play to him. Looking forward to seeing him off from Marlay, I hope the weather plays ball for him. Wet conditions will make it hard going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

All the goading of Enduro on here (and elsewhere i'm sure!) and Don comes out of leftfield to steal the thunder!

Betcha Enduro sneaks out tonight and runs it before Don :D

Advertisement