Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 trole

Sairus wrote: »
    Speaking of the lack of crossover between Smash and other fighters, is there a repository of Smash tech lying around anywhere?

smashlounge.com

This site is pretty sound for terms relating to smash (nice and simple layout), it comes with some videos and character guides too which is cool. The site has only been set up recently, but if you want to know further information theres character discussions about levels/mu's on smashboards.com

Also I don't know where but there is extensive frame data that is floating about and a hack of melee called 20xx which has frame data modes (but that goes into way too much detail that I'm sure you wouldn't want to know lol)

Also sorry for this account name, its awful and I hate it but too lazy to change acct.

Voa wrote: »
    All this though, just makes me more curious. A lot of the smash players I was exposed to at the Smash-o-ton event seemed to resent standard FGs. As the event was closing up, after I said "please clean up lest we lose the venue for future tournaments. By the way, tournament in 2 weeks is SF" and I definitely heard someone say "yeah, 'cause we wouldn't want the Street Fighter people to not have a tournament".

I didn't hear that being said but you can't express one persons view as the entire groups mentality. Not to mention there is not one "hive mind" behind the smash bros scene here, we are not talking to each other enough to even share an opinion other than we love smash and we want to play it against people more.

I'm not trying to be snarky but I did hear you talkin subtle smack against us throughout the day, adding to the fact you were in the middle of all of us doing it sort of added to it's awkwardness for some people (namely how the tournament was run et al even though it was our first one.). Personally IDGAF, but I did want to talk to you guys about MVC cus it seemed fun and you's weren't being very approachable.
    And I had a weird vibe from a lot of people as I was playing a bit of MvC at the venue, but I put that down to being in a slightly awkward space in the venue.

You guys were forced to set up in the middle of everyone, I knew it was because the venue had asked you to set up there but I have a feeling that people who didn't know would have thought otherwise, I wouldn't think anything of that, its just how it went (it was pretty awkward having to navigate around you guys to get between places so it is understandable).

Also I'm not sure if it was said enough, cheers for your work on the nom doc tourney :D

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

trole wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be snarky but I did hear you talkin subtle smack against us throughout the day, adding to the fact you were in the middle of all of us doing it sort of added to it's awkwardness for some people (namely how the tournament was run et al even though it was our first one.). Personally IDGAF, but I did want to talk to you guys about MVC cus it seemed fun and you's weren't being very approachable.

Not to answer for Voa, especically given that I wasn't there (and he's a bit of an arsehole like ;)) but I imagine he was just playfully ribbing on the community's game, as we all are known to do. Blazblue gets an extremely rough time, Marvel is considered barely even a fighting game, Street Fighter players never show up and the game is boring, Smash "isn't even a real fighting game", MK has a block button - useless game etc. etc.

It's playful banter, a bit of craic, and I imagine Voa was fully expecting you to do it right back to him about Marvel! I wouldn't take anything anyone says too seriously, we all bond by "hating" on each other's games. :)

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    It's playful banter, a bit of craic, and I imagine Voa was fully expecting you to do it right back to him about Marvel! I wouldn't take anything anyone says too seriously, we all bond by "hating" on each other's games. :)

Haha yeah, I don't mind it at all, my point was that it can come across as being odd when you're in a room of people who barely know each other let alone person coming across as a big negative nancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

Haha yeah, I don't mind it at all, my point was that it can come across as being odd when you're in a room of people who barely know each other let alone person coming across as a big negative nancy.

Always felt Voa looked like a Nancy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

Just to comment on the way the tournament was run; I was hugely impressed. It was an amazingly tight ship that was run on time and on cue, with streamed matches and no nonsense held. I have nothing but respect for the chaps who ran it, and any ill will that may have been felt was either me making comments on the differences in the way of it being run (I don't trust wireless/wired connections for my brackets, I use a local program. Too much of a risk of losing your bracket somewhere in the ether, even with Challonge. Also, some bad experiences with the way that Challonge used to run losers brackets), which were not meant as criticisms, merely observations, or, as Onion said, friendly ribbing. I understand this may not have come over as such, as those I was joking with were friends of mine, who know the standard FGC jokes; Mavhel is braindead, SF will complain about tournaments and not show up, BB is a joke (q.q). If anyone overheard this, not knowing that, it would be easy to make the mistake that I would be hating hard on smash.

And yeah, we were set up in literally the worst possible place. Sorry about not being more approachable, I suppose we might have been slightly shell shocked by an actual populated tournament :P

And I know that the whole of the smash scene probably didn't think in such a manner as to be hostile; I was just seeing if what I experienced was a minority or a majority opinion. I didn't think it was going to be a case that an entire scene was as insular as I feared, but I thought I'd check to be sure :P
    As far as I knew, this smash scene could have always have been there, like some kind of shadowy cabal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

no super smash bros wii u edition gamecube controller adapter on nintendo store only

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    no super smash bros wii u edition gamecube controller adapter on nintendo store only

I'm not sure who you are replying to (or if you are just outright stating this), but typically with things like this they will be available on amazon or somesuch closer to the release date of the actual item.

In my experience, preorders of this sort typically happen in america first then in the eu later..

Also Voa, Hopefully it will be just a matter of time before interaction between scenes in this manner can happen on a more casual basis, right now is sort of key since we are trying to establish the scene as there seems to be a want for something like this, any help we can get (such as nom doc thing, arcade con) is nothing but a benefit to us. :D

I'm not sure who you are replying to (or if you are just outright stating this), but typically with things like this they will be available on amazon or somesuch closer to the release date of the actual item.

In my experience, preorders of this sort typically happen in america first then in the eu later..

Also Voa, Hopefully it will be just a matter of time before interaction between scenes in this manner can happen on a more casual basis, right now is sort of key since we are trying to establish the scene as there seems to be a want for something like this, any help we can get (such as nom doc thing, arcade con) is nothing but a benefit to us. :D

i will at arcadecon whole weekend as Leon rpd friday, Leon Tomygun mode satuday and sunday startrek data

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Macal

well I'm surprised it's me who's bringing this news but... but just google "Smash Bros captain falcon", you'll find out some good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I hope he's not so crap this time.

There's some anime wizard man and girlier Marth clone too, but the most important thing to take away from this is Captain Falcon.

And 3rd party trophies are apparently a thing
    U3y4f65.jpg

Also who chooses these screenshots
    screen-8.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

Davidius wrote: »
    There's some anime wizard man and girlier Marth clone too

screen-8.jpg

Marth is still the prettiest princess.

LUCINA and robin newcomers for ssb4 and captain falcon is back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/07/15/sakurai-talks-difference-lucina-marth-smash-bros/
    While Lucina’s abilities are identical to Marth’s, as it must be in her DNA, Sakurai explains that Marth’s power is concentrated at the tip of his sword, while Lucina’s attack strength is balanced throughout her weapon, making her easier to control. She’s also a bit shorter than Marth.
    “With the Wii Fit Trainers, the male and female Robins, the Villagers, and Little Mac, varying their appearances and voices works just like selecting alternate color variations,” wrote Sakura. “However, whenever there is even a small difference in abilities, that character gets an actual roster slot. That is why you can select Lucina individually.”

zlCfzSKwa6YCEBWvAZ_thumb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

...there's a Lady Mac skin?

...there's a Lady Mac skin?
    No. There are:
    M/F Wii Fit Trainers
    M/F Robins
    a dozen varieties of Villagers
    3 Little Macs: Standard, with hoody and wireframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

I did not expect Robin to be added to this game. I actually said to friends "Oh wow it would be -so- cool to be able to play as your own Avatar in Fire Emblem".

If Nintendo adds a feature to import your Robin into the game from your 3DS through connectivity magic (hitboxes be damned) or if they at least have a Robin with brownish hair, I am going to have to main that fool.

BtLLKEjIIAA0tWh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Smash scene's secret tech for avoiding EVOla exposed

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-28481957

Get on my level.

k82mbZGh.jpg

I wish to be on that level,

thats nice though, I wonder when the 3ds demo will be out in eu eshop :(

also is it any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

68lC9m.gif

Did I mention it's really good?

Real talk though, the demo is neat. Nice snappy motion, decently fast speed on everything, there's an option to turn the demo stage into no item/Final Destination on Stage Select with a single button tap. My one gripe is the 3DS' weird circle pad analog stick thing is tricky to get used to. Really great overall though and I'm very excited for the full game.

Which releases in 3 days. Sucks to be you guys.

Did I mention it's really good?

Real talk though, the demo is neat. Nice snappy motion, decently fast speed on everything, there's an option to turn the demo stage into no item/Final Destination on Stage Select with a single button tap. My one gripe is the 3DS' weird circle pad analog stick thing is tricky to get used to. Really great overall though and I'm very excited for the full game.

Which releases in 3 days. Sucks to be you guys.

Is this on the JP 3DS? Might pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Well the entire roster is known for sure now, I think it's a bit disappointing as 6 characters were cut. Apparently Captain Falcon now has some serious landing lag when using the knee but a lot more power, which I don't know how to feel about. Chaingrabbing has been nerfed by way of complete removal of the Ice Climbers from the game.

N46Ayb4.jpg

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Is this on the JP 3DS? Might pick it up.
    Yup. To get the demo you'll need to make a Club Nintendo account on the 3DS. If you haven't done that yet on your EU 3DS just do it simultaneously on both of them to get through all the menus easily.

Yup. To get the demo you'll need to make a Club Nintendo account on the 3DS. If you haven't done that yet on your EU 3DS just do it simultaneously on both of them to get through all the menus easily.

I believe Sinead already guided me through that to get my sick Taiko DLC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Demo wasn't doing much for me on account of the terrible control scheme that can't be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 FirLocke

Get on my level.

No problem. :)

*Edit - Never mind! Apparently I can't post images because I'm a new user. I took a picture of the results screen of me winning with (blue) Link against lvl 9 Villager, Pikachu and Mega Man.

I am more of a 1v1 no items guy though. I absolutely can not wait for Smash! I have pre-ordered the 3DS version, and will be getting the Wii U version whenever a Smash bundle appears.

Demo wasn't doing much for me on account of the terrible control scheme that can't be changed.

At first, I thought the controls were terrible too, totally because for some reason grab and shield were swapped. Otherwise the control setup is the same as on a GameCube controller. I've played the demo for just under 4 hours now and I'm feeling comfortable enough with this control scheme.

FirLocke wrote: »
    At first, I thought the controls were terrible too, totally because for some reason grab and shield were swapped. Otherwise the control setup is the same as on a GameCube controller. I've played the demo for just under 4 hours now and I'm feeling comfortable enough with this control scheme.
    The problem is that the tirggers are flipped and the difference in the physical position of the buttons on GC and 3DS mean the controls are technically modified too.

Gamecubecontroller.jpg

Navigateur_web_nintendo_3ds.png

On the gamecube controller the layout of the controller means that your inputs are laid out in an almost straight line from left to right - B: Special, A: Attack, X: Jump

On the 3DS the buttons are placed more regularly, which means your buttons are now in a straight line from left to right: Y: Jump, B: Special, A: Attack.

So while the inputs are actually assigned to the same buttons in both games the layout of the controllers means inputs have been rotated one slot to the right. I always play games on default button layouts whenever possible, so this has been wrecking my head after so many years of playing Melee and Brawl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 FirLocke

This is true. Looking back on my post, I did generalise it too much by saying "it's the same as on a GameCube controller."

GameCube is the best way to play Smash, but for Smash's handheld debut, I feel like the controls on 3DS are fine.

Advertisement