Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pitched battle in Tallaght

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭space_man

the world is becoming a more violent place, and every day, stories like these are becoming less shocking, and more the norm.

what's it going to be like in 10 years???? 20??

the last week has shown this country up for what it is - an absolute hovel full of angry and violent thugs who dont give a sh!t about anything but violence.

if you really feel like that, then you ought to emigrate to Romania or Nigeria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Links please.

Proof please.

You want proof that at least some of the 20,000 Travellers in Ireland contribute something to their community. You ignorant piece of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

if they act like animals, then they should be treated like animals. put them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

In my line of work i have seen a lot of collusion between the travellers and rougher eastern europeans

what's your line of work? selling pie balls?carpets? tarmac?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

space_man wrote: »
    you probably know nothing of their culture.
    if you did .....

I think everyone here knows about traveler culture, your point being?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Jaysus, are these guys on tour?

Portmarnock
    Connolly
    Boombridge
    Sutton
    Tallaght

Where next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

100s of 1000s of people enjoyed the sunshine and did NOT create mayhem btw.

nothing to do with sunshine i'm afraid.

and yes, but when the power of these thugs over-rides the 100's of 1000's of normal people's lives, then we have a problem, and that's exactly what is happening, and yet again it's the same oul' story of "oh god that's awful" and moving onto the next national scandal an hour later in the day.

this country is gone to sh!t and nobody seems to care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

crazygeryy wrote: »

Making **** up on the internet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

ThirdMan wrote: »
    You want proof that at least some of the 20,000 Travellers in Ireland contribute something to their community. You ignorant piece of ****.

Fairly sure he was joking by referring to the usual posts of people askign for links,proof to back up statements. But posts like yours are generally the way to go about it. Getting a thread locked that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand

banned.

• Advertisement

Skatedude wrote: »
    if they act like animals, then they should be treated like animals. put them down.

Mother of god. Mods, kick me out of here. I'm not able for these pigs.

FatherLen wrote: »
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand

banned.

My pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MonaPizza

crazygeryy wrote: »

"pie balls" ?

Did you mean piebalds?

My pleasure.

Pretty sure that'll be a mods pleasure :P

there s loads of proof that they contribute something to THEIR Community. but none that they contribute to society. unless you have some do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Links please.

Proof please.

http://tvgcork.ie/site/?page_id=9

Involved in advocacy, childcare, health work, drug and alcohol awareness, mediation and organising training schemes.

They also work hard in trying to break down barriers between Travellers and the wider community. Important work when considering the thick ignorant attitudes held by people like yourself.

MonaPizza wrote: »
    "pie balls" ?

Did you mean piebalds?

cheers i couldn't be arsed googling it. i just said id give it a lash. giddy up there Betsy

if you really feel like that, then you ought to emigrate to Romania or Nigeria.

shut it troll.

I think everyone here knows about traveler culture, your point being?

well the foreigner being ignorant of the rich traveller culture might have naiively transgressed in some way, leading to this unfortunate fracas.

foreigners if they wish to settle here, should as a courtesy educate themselves about these things, otherwise i can more of these incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

the world is becoming a more violent place, and every day, stories like these are becoming less shocking, and more the norm.

Not true. It's actually becoming a safer place. The reporting of violent crime however.......

According to trends over the last few centuries it'll be an even safer place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

this is why we cant have nice things, weather included.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

some type of turf war maybe.

on a global scale?
    I wanna hear both sides of the tale..

FTA69 wrote: »
    http://tvgcork.ie/site/?page_id=9

Involved in advocacy, childcare, health work, drug and alcohol awareness, mediation and organising training schemes.

They also work hard in trying to break down barriers between Travellers and the wider community. Important work when considering the thick ignorant attitudes held by people like yourself.

That links seems to be more about a group of women travellers who set up the group to help other travellers. Not really a big help to society or a community at large really. Your link in particular is about a creche for traveller families. I'd prefer to have a better link if it' available about travellers helping society or a larger part of the community rather than jsut themselves.

Here's the aims of your site:
    Aims of the TVG:

1. Continue to promote Travellers as a nomadic ethnic group, with its own distinctive culture and lifestyles.
    2. Continue to promote Traveller self-determination and empowerment (enabling Travellers to make decisions and work in a collective way to bring about real change in their lives).
    3. Continue to work for real change and improvement in Travellers’ lives including the areas of education, accommodation, health, and employment / work and rights.
    4. To challenge discrimination and racism against Travellers.
    5. Continue to ensure the inclusion of Traveller issues and resource the real participation of Travellers in policy decisions and practices that affect their lives.
    6. Develop a suitable, well-resourced Travellers’ Centre and Crèche.
    7. Develop the TVG’s management, administrative and staff structures and procedures.
    8. Promote mutual understanding, acceptance and support between Travellers and others in Irish Society
    9. Network links locally, regionally and nationally,
    10. Carry out research on the circumstances of Travellers in Cork and contribute to national research, which will inform the TVG’s work.

http://tvgcork.ie/site/?page_id=2

this thread has aroused some reactionary, biased, hateful and violent reactions.
    and we look down our noses on the protaganists involved in Tallaght?:o

biko wrote: »
    It'd be interesting to hear what they were fighting over.

The benefits of having a beard .

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Not true. It's actually becoming a safer place. The reporting of violent crime however.......

According to trends over the last few centuries it'll be an even safer place.

the point i was going to make about it being overly reported and how it results in people having a bloodlust is too off topic for this thread so i'll leave it for now.

im not saying it's just ireland to be fair, it's a world issue. the WORLD is becoming a more violent place, or more to the point a place where extreme violence is slowly but surely becoming more accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

This actually happened last week so its not exactly 'hot off the presses'.
    More like somebody desperate to start a fresh 'scumbag' thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

well the foreigner being ignorant of the rich traveller culture might have naiively transgressed in some way, leading to this unfortunate fracas.

foreigners if they wish to settle here, should as a courtesy educate themselves about these things, otherwise i can more of these incidents.

....or you know, maybe the travellers should have found another way to express their disquiet over whatever this imagined cultural transgression might have been without resorting to violence.

That is a very weak justification for what you are postulating may or may not have happened.

It is only correct to recognise that interpersonal violence is part of the traveller culture, fighting as a dispute resolution mechanism is heavily ingrained in their culture.

Do we decide that because it is part of their culture we should accept it and tolerate it or do we outline that it is not acceptable in a 21st democracy and expect that they find other ways to resolve conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bazza1

I wonder why our A + E's are so busy? Still, I suppose the HSE collected the €100 charge for each visitor...oh wait a minute......:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

I've been reading about the warm weather there. I wonder if this is why there is an escalation in confrontations lately.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2011/07/how-severe-link-between-hot-weather-and-violence/40325/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement