Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was Irelands lowest moment?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

No, they couldn't have. Unlike any of those countries, Ireland is an island with Britain between it and continental Europe. If they couldn't get over the channel, they couldn't have got to us.

If they couldn't get over the Channel, how did they manage to bomb the bejaysus out of Belfast?? How did they manage to drop bombs in at least 5 counties in Ireland?? How did they manage to absolutely destroy the North Strand, just up the road from your Kingdom???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

If they couldn't get over the Channel, how did they manage to bomb the bejaysus out of Belfast?? How did they manage to drop bombs in at least 5 counties in Ireland?? How did they manage to absolutely destroy the North Strand, just up the road from your Kingdom???

DHL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Must have been, because they couldn't get over the channel :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

The self loathing/inferiority complex is laughable. I wonder do the people of other nations analyse themselves to bits like it's done here? I'm guessing not.

Yeh it's funny how some people like to make out that Ireland is like Bolivia or somewhere - sorry folks, we ain't anywhere near that bad-ass! :pac:

What does that even mean?

I'm pretty sure there was a Bolivian revolutionary of Irish descent. It's supposed to be quite a nice place, if you visit...

All nations navel gaze and analyse. It's a global thang. Just because some people question the past and present doesn't make them self loathers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Cd_doe

When we entered that turkey fella into the Eurovision... Followed by them 2 other eejits

• Advertisement

Must have been, because they couldn't get over the channel :P

O they might get bombs over. Try getting a bottle of perfume to France though.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Robus

The day Veronica Guerin was shot, Ireland hit a new low that day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

Why all the hating on poor old Jedward? They are two lads trying to make people in the country smile and god knows we could do with some of their positivity in the country to try and lift the gloom.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,132 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The self loathing/inferiority complex is laughable. I wonder do the people of other nations analyse themselves to bits like it's done here? I'm guessing not.

Yeh it's funny how some people like to make out that Ireland is like Bolivia or somewhere - sorry folks, we ain't anywhere near that bad-ass! :pac:

In america they used to call anyone who disagreed with the status quo commies. It's perfectly acceptable to bitch about your country. If we didn't get offended or want change the magdalene laundries would still be here.
    FTA69 wrote: »
    So complicated that he identified the Catholic Irish as a permanent threat to English interests and set about instituting the Penal Laws that plunged the vast majority of the country into penury for centuries. He then decided to engage in systematic slavery and deportation which resulted in a large percentage of the population dying.

I know it might pain you to admit that the English approach to colonising Ireland wasn't entirely benevolent, but there's no need to window dress your sycophantic rubbish with a load of historical inaccuracy.

To be fair, that wasn't part of colonising. catholics got it just as bad in the UK. Guy Falkes for example. Cromwell didn't think that Irish catholics were a threat. He thought that all catholics were a threat.

He also did worse in the UK. Conservative estimates put the death tole there at 1/3 of the population. And as someone pointed out, the reason he came here was because of the english royalists. Ireland was a side show of the english civil war.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

You do know that aerial bobmardment is not the same as invasion, don't you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Nodin wrote: »
    ...sure they just did it for the laugh.

:rolleyes:

That's not what I meant at all, nice try though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Nodin wrote: »
    ....they weren't and they did, but "Senseless, mindless violence perpetrated by the lowest dregs of society imo. And for no real reason." is a woejous misrepresentation.

How else could it reasonably be described?

How many innocent men, women and children lost their lives because certain extremist group were/are stuck in the past and refuse to move on? What else are the acts of the IRA, UVF etc but senseless and mindless?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

weemcd wrote: »
    120+ replies and no mention of bloody sunday?

You just did, you fecker. Mods! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Amy33

The moving statues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Even at her lowest ebb Britain still controlled the seas around these islands
    When Goering failed to establish air superiority the threat passed.
    Under these conditions, had Hitler attempted an invasion of Ireland it would have ended up like the Spanish Armada.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Leftist wrote: »
    :D
    I wonder if there are any other countries in europe that still bang on about **** that happened in the 1600s as if it's important. Desperate to be victims.

Worse single for the current state, was omagh. Or any number of capitulations to the church by the state.

Cromwell ffs.

Oh sure, it was the day the english turned up. Erins potatos weep for me. :rolleyes:
    The Jews never complain about the holocaust and black people never reference slavery either. Oh and after Oliver Cromwell, everything went back to being really great for Irish people. GTFO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Grayson wrote: »
    He also did worse in the UK. Conservative estimates put the death tole there at 1/3 of the population. And as someone pointed out, the reason he came here was because of the english royalists. Ireland was a side show of the english civil war.

More historical fallacy. I agree with you in the sense that Ireland was a side-show to the English Civil War but it's commonly accepted that the death toll in Ireland was far higher, ten times so in fact, than it was in England. Similarly the level of punitive measures taken were a lot higher as Cromwell needed total subjugation in order to use the country to pay off his deaths and reward his soldiers with land. Cromwell completed the colonisation of Ireland with extreme brutality that far outmatched anything that went on in Britain, e.g. "free fire zones" and the use of slavery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_civil_war#The_Third_English_Civil_War

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    The Jews never complain about the holocaust and black people never reference slavery either. Oh and after Oliver Cromwell, everything went back to being really great for Irish people. GTFO.

Cromwell was ruthless with catholics who defied him but in my opinion his repressions were rather short lived and not as effective as the aftermath of William of Orange.
    The dislocation of the landholding Irish under him seems to me to have been far more effective than under Cromwell?

How else could it reasonably be described?

How many innocent men, women and children lost their lives because certain extremist group were/are stuck in the past and refuse to move on? What else are the acts of the IRA, UVF etc but senseless and mindless?

You don't know about the institutionalised sectarianism and violence against the minority in the north? gerrymandering? police violence?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Cromwell was ruthless with catholics who defied him but in my opinion his repressions were rather short lived and not as effective as the aftermath of William of Orange.
    The dislocation of the landholding Irish under him seems to me to have been far more effective than under Cromwell?
    I don't think Cromwell was the singular bad "thing" to happen to Ireland. He was just another nasty episode in our history, which is fairly unique among "whities".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,503 ✭✭✭✭banie01

LordSutch wrote: »
    The ROI staying out of WWII was also a low point IMO.

There was no ROI in existence to become involved in WW2.
    The Republic wasn't enabled until 1948 and declared in '49, we were still technically a ''Dominion'' during the war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭yara

ColeTrain wrote: »
    There's plenty to choose from here I'm afraid. It can be measured whatever way you want.

From the banking crisis and the world watching as we went into meltdown, to the Church scandals, to Crystal Swing performing on the Ellen Show.

What do you think?

"we turned a corner"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭josip

Stinicker wrote: »
    Electing Bertie Ahern and Fianna Fail in 1997 was a day of absolute shame

Once was unfortunate, twice was careless, third time was shameful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

banie01 wrote: »
    There was no ROI in existence to become involved in WW2.
    The Republic wasn't enabled until 1948 and declared in '49, we were still technically a ''Dominion'' during the war.

OK then, here's the modified version of post#120.

The 1845-1852 fammine was obviously a low point for the whole island.
    The twenty six county Dominion staying out of WWII was also a low point IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭josip

1922 when De Valera and his 56 supporters walked out of the Dail setting the country on the path to civil war and to almost a century of subsequent civil war politics.

Hello pot, this is the kettle.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

when darren got shot by the baldy one in love/hate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

The 1800's were low times for Ireland - not just politically but also the cholera outbreak, the great famine and other famines before the century ended. Compared to today nothing comes close to what it must have been like to live here then as an ordinary Irish person. The only comparison is people left. All the other stuff clerical abuse et al is because it's only rising to the surface now I'd say that was always rife. Power, greed, crime is everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,092 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Bertie getting out of the Moriarty Tribunal free, the day the dopey ****ers were elected into office in the current government, Lisbon 2. Fully agree the death in Galway last year was sick, ****ing backwards country still influenced so much by pedo priests and their outdated ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

when they klled ff billy mehan......caddle ya traaamp ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Leftist wrote: »
    :D
    I wonder if there are any other countries in europe that still bang on about **** that happened in the 1600s as if it's important. Desperate to be victims.

Worse single for the current state, was omagh. Or any number of capitulations to the church by the state.

Cromwell ffs.

Oh sure, it was the day the english turned up. Erins potatos weep for me. :rolleyes:

Yes Omagh was terrible, but so were the bombings in Dublin and Monaghan.

As for Cromwell he was a murderer of women and children who regarded the Irish as sub human, just because something happened a long time ago it doesn't make the lives that were lost any less important.

Looking at your post you don't seem to like Ireland that much, maybe it's time to move.

Advertisement