Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was Irelands lowest moment?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

the day they brought in the euro
    useless currency
    I bought chips at lunch time today with a €5 note.

Pretty useful I'd say.

If I'd try to pay with punts, US dollars or GB pounds they'd have told me to get out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

A Bertie hat trick :

The Ash Wednesday he came into the Dail with the black stuff
    plastered all over his forehead. [By Paddy the Plasterer?]

The day he appeared at the G8 wearing the yellow plastic
    trousers.

The day he popped out of the drawer in the Sunday Times
    advert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Germany couldn't have invaded us

The possibilty was looked at as a diversionary tactic and there was link ups with the IRA, but Jerry quickly found out the 'Boys' could barely tie their own shoelaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

When the country started to get money and it's people started to think that their ****e didnt stink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

royster999 wrote: »
    The day Oliver Cromwell set foot in the country.
    :D
    I wonder if there are any other countries in europe that still bang on about **** that happened in the 1600s as if it's important. Desperate to be victims.

Worse single for the current state, was omagh. Or any number of capitulations to the church by the state.

Cromwell ffs.

Oh sure, it was the day the english turned up. Erins potatos weep for me. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Leftist wrote: »
    I wonder if there are any other countries in europe that still bang on about **** that happened in the 1600s as if it's important. Desperate to be victims.

Worse single for the current state, was omagh. Or any number of capitulations to the church by the state.

Cromwell ffs.

Oh sure, it was the day the english turned up. Erins potatos weep for me. :rolleyes:

TBF It's a testament to Cromwell that he's still being mentioned today, an utter **** of a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

Douchenozzle-extraordinaire Bryant Gumbel humiliating Irish people on Grafton St for NBC US Television.

Sepp Blatter laughing at our pathetic begging to be let in to the World Cup.

Bertie's yellow suit humiliating us in front of the World's major leaders.

Ballykissangel- The UK's retarded concept of us.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    TBF It's a testament to Cromwell that he's still being mentioned today, an utter **** of a man.

yeah, worse than hitler.

he was a drop in the ocean compared the sectarian atrocities on the continent at the same time, or the european expeditions to Africa and America.
    He's remembered because nothing else happened for hundreds of years before or after and the potato gang need to blame some special event from stopping us being something we were never going to be.

Too many self pitying fiddle songs and inbred primary school teachers filling heads with sentimental bollox.

yeah, worse than hitler.

he was a drop in the ocean compared the sectarian atrocities on the continent at the same time, or the european expeditions to Africa and America.
    He's remembered because nothing else happened for hundreds of years before or after and the potato gang need to blame some special event from stopping us being something we were never going to be.

Too many self pitying fiddle songs and inbred primary school teachers filling heads with sentimental bollox.

Congrats on Godwinning the thread.

Cromwell murdered and pillaged his way through this country and you seem outraged that people occasionally bring this up? How dare we discuss Ireland's history.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Cromwell ffs.

Pot, kettle, black?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Worse single for the current state, was omagh.
    You do understand what "state" means?

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    You do understand what "state" means?
    Have an idea yeah. Omagh was an atrocity that affected the ROI too. Infact some of our citizens were responsible for it. Did you even know that?
    enda1 wrote: »
    Pot, kettle, black?
    explain to me what you think 'Pot, kettle, black' means?

because you highlighted my point that people banging on about the 1600s in comparison to Omagh. In 1998.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

the black and tans
    dana going for president
    bertie ahern having a laught in the mahon tribunal
    property tax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

The possibilty was looked at as a diversionary tactic and there was link ups with the IRA, but Jerry quickly found out the 'Boys' could barely tie their own shoelaces.

Yes, but only if a successful sealion was already underway. It would never have been attempted unless the Brits were already on the ropes

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Captain Farrell

Electing terrorists like Gerry Adams to represent the people of Ireland. Shameful and disgusting, the rest of the civilized world looks on in amazement at a nation that glorifies child-killing scumbags.

Electing terrorists like Gerry Adams to represent the people of Ireland. Shameful and disgusting, the rest of the civilized world looks on in amazement at a nation that glorifies child-killing scumbags.

That's a very provocative first post :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

When that crazy priest tackled that Brazilian marathon runner in the olympics. He was every bad Irish stereotype rolled into one and completely bats*it crazy.

That's a very provocative first post :rolleyes:

Oh I'm sorry, should I have said something funny/stupid like "Jedward"?

Is that the etiquette here? Do you have to make 1000 pointless posts before you're entitled to an opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Can't believe no one has mentioned this yet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C46AcWDZtho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Yet George W Bush is treated like a hero By millions of Americans and Obama get the Nobel peace prize for drone bombing innocents. Yeah Gerry Adams is way worse:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Oh I'm sorry, should I have said something funny/stupid like "Jedward"?

Is that the etiquette here? Do you have to make 1000 pointless posts before you're entitled to an opinion?

I just thought it was a bit of a coincidence that your first post on this forum has the potential to take this thread off topic in a big way.

I just thought it was a bit of a coincidence that your first post on this forum has the potential to take this thread off topic in a big way.

Not my intention, just my input.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

kuntboy wrote: »
    Douchenozzle-extraordinaire Bryant Gumbel humiliating Irish people on Grafton St for NBC US Television.
    Worse that Cromwell :mad:
    Who the fcuk is Bryant Gumbel?

nah. his was a direct answer to the question.

seems like only contributions that absolve us of responsibility are welcomed in your self-moderated thread.
    Classic victim paddy mentality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Germany couldn't have invaded us

If they could have invaded France, Holland, Belgium, Denmark, Norway, Greece, Poland, Czechoslovakia, the Soviet Union, Yugoslavia they could have easily invaded Ireland. There just needed to be the will to do it.

But they were too busy looking for the Holy Grail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Jaysus some people really can't see beyond what was in the papers recently.

Ireland is in great shape at the moment relative to the totality of its history. Maybe 2001 was our nadir to date? But all things considered, this is a golden age for Ireland relatively speaking.

Famine, Cromwell, Penal Laws, Plantations, The War of Independence, early decades of the Free State and Catholic Church transgressions of the time - so much shameful history to choose from that involved people being killed or marginalised because of their religion or personal life choices. Williams and the Sunday World trying to sell their latest book off the back of an imaginary 'Gangland Crime Crisis' (Ireland is one of the safest countries in the world) pales in comparison and warrants no mention in this thread.
    Spot on, just hysterical nonsense to flog a paperback.
    Interesting article in the Guardian today which places Ireland joint 6th in the world in the global peace index. I'd say Williams hates that!

The famine or Plantations for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Sorry, Gerry Adams is a child murderer?

nah. his was a direct answer to the question.

seems like only contributions that absolve us of responsibility are welcomed in your self-moderated thread.
    Classic victim paddy mentality.

Stop the ranting like a good little boy. Your last sentence just about sums you up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Cromwell murdered and pillaged his way through this country and you seem outraged that people occasionally bring this up? How dare we discuss Ireland's history.

I seem to remember a documentary about Cromwell on the TV last year (RTE)? and I also remember many Cromwell hating posters on boards.ie eating humble pie when it turned out that Cromwells main attractions in Ireland were not the Irish persay, but the English Royalist army (who came here for the battle), that's not to deny that cromwell killed Irish people, but me thinks the circumstances were somewhat complicated at the time, with Ireland being the battle ground.

The 1845-1852 fammine was obviously a low point for the whole island.
    The ROI staying out of WWII was also a low point IMO.

• Advertisement

Stop the ranting like a good little boy. Your last sentence just about sums you up.

Awful reponse.

Tell me, how was his post an attempt to take the thread off topic?

can't answer than can you? just rename the thread to something about stuff that happend to us, but was not our fault.. but catchier.

Then we can all sit about eating potatos and trading stories about the brits.

Advertisement