Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security at nightclubs

Options
  • 10-06-2013 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

I know this may be a naive question for someone from Ireland but from someone from other country it isn't.

I was blocked by a security guy, he said I was "intoxicated". Well I dind't drink any drink on that day and I don't take drugs.

So in these situations can I call the gards to make me the alcool test or is there other legal way to prove I'm not drunk?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭whellman1030

And in the case I prove the security is wrong what's the penalty I can apply to them? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Licence holder (or his staff) of a premises have the right to refuse admission.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Wasting our time suggesting he might waste Garda time? World first.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭endacl

He wasn't letting you in because he wasn't letting you in. If he accepted you were sober, he'd decide he didn't like your shoes. That's life. We've all been there. Get over it.

If you do ever try to get a guard to give you a breath test in order to prove sobriety to a doorman, be sure to video it. It'd be a classic!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

I know this may be a naive question for someone from Ireland but from someone from other country it isn't.

I was blocked by a security guy, he said I was "intoxicated". Well I dind't drink any drink on that day and I don't take drugs.

So in these situations can I call the gards to make me the alcool test or is there other legal way to prove I'm not drunk?

Your wasting your time bouncers are c**ts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Slightly related. I find I have trouble getting in absolutely anywhere, stone-cold sober or otherwise. I'm not the most confident person in the world, I have a shaved head. The last night at the grand social they wouldn't let me in. I ask em, hey I have trouble getting in anywhere and they just said it's an older crowd in tonight. But my two friends had just got in 5 minutes previously. They try different excuses each time to fob me off but it's becoming almost certain I will be at least 'stopped and questioned' with a lot of the time just been refused. I wouldn't mind if it didn't happen almost every time. Just curious, am I just giving off 'trouble' vibes that bouncers pick up on?

Jumboman wrote: »
    Your wasting your time bouncers are c**ts.
    In fairness, some of them just aren't the brightest...

41ypCD9%2BeeL._SY300_.jpg

Slightly related. I find I have trouble getting in absolutely anywhere, stone-cold sober or otherwise. I'm not the most confident person in the world, I have a shaved head. The last night at the grand social they wouldn't let me in. I ask em, hey I have trouble getting in anywhere and they just said it's an older crowd in tonight. But my two friends had just got in 5 minutes previously. They try different excuses each time to fob me off but it's becoming almost certain I will be at least 'stopped and questioned' with a lot of the time just been refused. I wouldn't mind if it didn't happen almost every time. Just curious, am I just giving off 'trouble' vibes that bouncers pick up on?
    How do you approach them? Body language can say a lot. If you're used to being refused, you might appear to be expecting refusal. I must say I'm a bit surprised to hear about the GS. Staff are normally pretty sound there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

endacl wrote: »
    How do you approach them? Body language can say a lot. If you're used to being refused, you might appear to be expecting refusal. I must say I'm a bit surprised to hear about the GS. Staff are normally pretty sound there.

Yea I'd say the body language isn't great at this stage, and it becomes more and more compounded the more I get refused that it becomes almost a big deal for me to be thinking about how I am walking in. I tried the confident phase, still got stopped. I try saying howeyes lads, as I'm walking in, stopped. I try looking really really relaxed, stopped. I'm starting to take it personally lol!

Seriously, where in the name of GOD does it say that Gardaí and there as Guardians of the Peace and provers of who is sober and who isn't? Are people being taught about "common sense" or "having cop-on" these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ambo112

Security are regulated by the PSA, Private Security Authority, you may take a complaint against him, he should have his license displayed, a credit card type license with his picture and registration number.

Aside from that, they can refuse admission, full stop. They don't need to offer a reason, not a nice experience, but that is how it is :-(

Yea I'd say the body language isn't great at this stage, and it becomes more and more compounded the more I get refused that it becomes almost a big deal for me to be thinking about how I am walking in. I tried the confident phase, still got stopped. I try saying howeyes lads, as I'm walking in, stopped. I try looking really really relaxed, stopped. I'm starting to take it personally lol!

Well I came with 2 tricks that let me in. The only time I was blocked, I was alone.

So waiting for someone to go in and join the group looking like I'm with them works.

Another approach when my friends are already inside is just to don't look at security guys directly and keep my head low.

But it's good to know that I'm in a country when people can be discriminated without a reason.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭lighterman

ambo112 wrote: »
    Security are regulated by the PSA, Private Security Authority, you may take a complaint against him, he should have his license displayed, a credit card type license with his picture and registration number.

Aside from that, they can refuse admission, full stop. They don't need to offer a reason, not a nice experience, but that is how it is :-(

They do have to give a reason. They cant just stop you. Thats why they say you look too drunk. Easiest get out clause there is when you say your not is your told that they spotted you swaggering,tripping,unsteady on your feet etc. they are then covered.

BTW its not the doormen thats ****,its the owner looking at you on the camera abd talking in to their ears or they could be standing very close to them observing them.

They dont care who gets in. Less trouble for them if you do go in. Ya might remember that next time.

You shouldn't need tricks to get in anywhere. Being refused is a fact of life. Happens everywhere. I've been turned away on three continents! International undesirable. Forget the guards. It's the UN you need. I mean, if you're going to kick up a stink, take it right to the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

endacl wrote: »
    In fairness, some of them just aren't the brightest...

41ypCD9%2BeeL._SY300_.jpg

What do mean some?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭antichrist

But it's good to know that I'm in a country when people can be discriminated without a reason.:mad:

If you don't like it....leave.

You didn't get into a nightclub......so what. It happens. You could look like someone that caused hassle there 2 weeks ago. Its a CLUB not a public park, they reserve the right to choose who enters their premises.

Harden up rather than going online to winge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

I know it can be very annoying when your refused based on the flimsiest of reasons given by the security staff

its even more annoying when your there to meet friends/family and theyre all inside and your turned away

the best way to come back from that is to not turn to abuse or violence but vote with your feet and hit them in the pocket

you and your friends just go elsewhere and never return

there are a multitude of pubs and clubs in the this country that will be only too delighted to have your company for the evening and let you spend your hard earned cash there!

im astounded that in these recessionary times that publicans etc refuse people who are willing to spend cash in their premises - it really doesnt make any business sense - so let them go under, and you will have the last laugh :)

i would suspect if owners knew their security staff were turning away so many people, the security staff would be removed and replaced. the owner wants a healthy bottom line at the end of the day

antichrist wrote: »

You didn't get into a nightclub......so what. It happens. You could look like someone that caused hassle there 2 weeks ago. Its a CLUB not a public park, they reserve the right to choose who enters their premises.

I was not expecting you to be so ignorant, but I forgive you...

WilcoOut wrote: »
    I know it can be very annoying when your refused based on the flimsiest of reasons given by the security staff

its even more annoying when your there to meet friends/family and theyre all inside and your turned away

the best way to come back from that is to not turn to abuse or violence but vote with your feet and hit them in the pocket

there are a multitude of pubs and clubs in the this country that will be only too delighted to have your company for the evening and let you spend your hard earned cash there!

im astounded that in these recessionary times that publicans etc refuse people who are willing to spend cash in their premises - it really doesnt make any business sense - so let them go under, and you will have the last laugh :)

i would suspect if owners knew their security staff were turning away so many people, the security staff would be removed and replaced. the owner wants a healthy bottom line at the end of the day

That's exactly the comment of someone with social intelligence :)

Next time if it happens just say to them "You don't want my money? There's plenty of clubs around here that want it :D "

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

antichrist wrote: »

Have to agree with this. Plenty of other places to go.

• Advertisement

Just a bit off topic but has anyone noticed the difference between bouncers now and during the boom ? Years ago if I went out for a night I would get refused from atleast one pub/club in the course of a night. But since the recession its very rare for me to get refused from anywhere, infact I only remember getting refused once in the last 2 years.

Just a bit off topic but has anyone noticed the difference between bouncers now and during the boom ? Years ago if I went out for a night I would get refused from atleast one pub/club in the course of a night. But since the recession its very rare for me to get refused from anywhere, infact I only remember getting refused once in the last 2 years.

Once uponatime they had the pick of the crowd. These days its less so and i agree, refusals are rarer. But i still think for a sector struggling as they are, they still are too picky

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

Once uponatime they had the pick of the crowd. These days its less so and i agree, refusals are rarer. But i still think for a sector struggling as they are, they still are too picky

On the flipside I can think of many places which have let standards slip, and very soon end up going down in flames with a queue of Paddywagons parked outside every saturday night...

Many clubs/pubs thrive on the fact that they are exclusive, and these are businesses at the end of the day -the owners will provide for the market and turn away people whom their customers don't want to be seen with. Being refused is more a reflection on the clientèle inside than the owners/doormen;)

On the flipside I can think of many places which have let standards slip, and very soon end up going down in flames with a queue of Paddywagons parked outside every saturday night...

Many clubs/pubs thrive on the fact that they are exclusive, and these are businesses at the end of the day -the owners will provide for the market and turn away people whom their customers don't want to be seen with.

Being refused is more a reflection on the clientèle inside than the owners/doormen;)

I dont think it has anything to do with the clientele sometimes they randomly refuse people for no reason like I once got refused from a bar I was a regular at. I think they use to stop every 3rd or 4th person getting into a nightclub regardless of what kind of person they were, I've seen well behaved people in suits getting refused from a club yet I was able to walk in wearing casual clothes. Most of the time their is no real logic for doormen stopping someone getting in they are just on a power trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

Well I cant comment on your particular situation, i'm just saying the strictest places around town are usually the busiest and have the least trouble. Saying its all down to a power trip is a cop out. It really cant be that simple.

Well I cant comment on your particular situation, i'm just saying the strictest places around town are usually the busiest and have the least trouble. Saying its all down to a power trip is a cop out. It really cant be that simple.

i feel there is absolutely no consistency with door staff

it is merely down to how they feel on the night or as you walk up

iv been stopped at clubs only to walk in an hour later

I can't believe what happened today!!!!

I was completely drunk inside a bar, a girl comes and asks me and my friends "Do you want a free entrance to our night club?"

I said yes and she stamped some symbol in our hands and even completely drunk we got all into the nightclub and without even paying the entrance!!!!!

This just shows how unfair is the system and that security blocks random people.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Ya can't have been too drunk, unless you got someone to write the post for you! She was probably tagging ye for some nefarious kidney transplant scheme, beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Whatnuclearsub

I think it's mostly just bouncers trying to assert their authority, usually young or inexperienced bouncers in my experience. But people have already mentioned it in the thread just move on to the next place, if you are being refused by more than one place then you know your not sending out the right vibes. If you are repeatedly being refused from an establishment I would suggest you write or email the manager asking if you are being mistakenly confused with someone that has been barred. As for calling the guards because you are not being let into a pub, I don't think they would bother with the breadth test and just immediately assume you were drunk, I would anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'll start by saying I've twenty plus years experience on the doors of bars & clubs... So..
    lighterman wrote: »

BTW its not the doormen thats ****,its the owner looking at you on the camera abd talking in to their ears or they could be standing very close to them observing them.

They dont care who gets in. Less trouble for them if you do go in. Ya might remember that next time.

This is completely off the wall wrong, plain and simple. I've heard this said before, it does not happen.. Stand on a door for a night and you'll realize why it can not realistically work.

Either this lad has a head of sense or has worked in the industry, bang on.

You're at least five years (or more) older than you were back then, you're likely visiting a different scene, dressing and behaving differently too ~ sounds like you're comparing apples with oranges.

Bouncers, just as in every job the world over there are good and bad.

Someone mentioned the requirement to display the PSA license, thats no longer the case. Although the bouncer must have it on his/her person and available for inspection by AGS or an inspector from the PSA.

Advertisement