Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5c or 10c Refunds for Cans and Bottles

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Of course it sounds good but where is the money going to come from?

Are coke/ diageo / whoever going to accept & pay for returns, strip the labels, wash the bottles, QC them and then re-use them or are they going to just use cheaper new bottles? All while having to increase the cost of their product, employ more people to process returns, increased spend on detergent and washing etc?

And the reason milk comes in plastic now is that people decided resused glass was somehow dirty or unpleasant, certainly a problem you'd encounter again.
    The money they give back to you is just charged up front. If everyone selling has to put on this levy, it's doesn't have any effect on their competitiveness.

& never heard of glass seeming dirty as a reason why milk bottles were dropped. Glass milk bottles seem like a perfect candidate for recycling — sterilising bottles would surely be cheaper in the long-run too, if a proper plant was opened up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭froggie76

Where i work gives 13c return on pint bottles of Guinness and Bulmers. We only sell returnable small bottles/standard bottles in the bar so no return given through the offie side. All of our glass is recycled - returnable bottles or not.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

So lets get this going (again) somehow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Scotland does this. I remember I used to take empty glass Barr-ginger bottles into a newsagents and got about 20p each for them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Regarding the OP, I had a similar discussion recently. Imagine how clean the Country would be, if money was paid for all recyclable materials. I could imagine some people would be out daily scouring the place filling bags where possible and bring them to the nearest centre for money.

Something the Government should consider implementing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If I remember rightly the bringing back of glass bottles died away as the shops became more health aware.
    Nobody wanted to be handling bottles that may have been used by someone with infectious diseases or after someone had taken a piss into one. Also the machinery was not able to guarantee the removal of foreign objects from bottles, such as cigarette buts and in worse cases syringes.
    Its different in a pub, bottle is put on the table, drank, then collect by staff and put away for collection, its more controlled.
    The demise of the milk bottle was financial, no need for staff to return to the dairy with the empties, no need for expensive machinery running through the night cleaning bottles for re-filling, no losses when a bottle of milk hit the ground and smashed, health and safety handling glass etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Im living in Finland at the moment and they have it here too. We take it as drink 9 cans and get one free!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

iamstop wrote: »
    Why is this not a thing in Ireland?

...this not a thing in Ireland?

... a thing in Ireland?

... in Ireland?

... IRELAND?

We're swimming in cans and bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

zenno wrote: »

You get money from your empty cans so it's not money for nothing.

now - buy a bottle for €2, get nothing back :(

new system - buy a bottle for €2.20, get 20c back :):)
    i'm going to be rich, RICH i tell you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement