Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5c or 10c Refunds for Cans and Bottles

Options
  • 09-06-2013 11:08pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Why is this not a thing in Ireland? Most States in the US and Provinces in the CA have it that if you return your empties you get a nominal refund. Some it's 10 or 15 cents even.
    I think it would help reduce litter and promote recycling. All the folks who go knacker drinking might actually take their rubbish with them! :confused:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

20c back for every bottle in NZ.
    Nice little incentive to drink more.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

10c return in Belgium but they add it on the original price when you buy it so it evens out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I was in Germany and 6 bottles of beer in lidl were 1.69 and the bottle deposit was 1.50. But business in Germany have found it easy to avoid like most things governments introduce. If you make a bottle 3 liter you pay a deposit. But if its 3001 ml you dont have to.

If you want to save bottles do want some cities want to do in America which ban bottled water. Why ship water from Fuji to Europe when there general is nothing wrong with irish water

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭scoobydoobie

I remember they used to do it in the 80s, i think it was the clear glass lemonade bottles, and you got about 10p.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

hfallada wrote: »
    I was in Germany and 6 bottles of beer in lidl were 1.69 and the bottle deposit was 1.50. But business in Germany have found it easy to avoid like most things governments introduce. If you make a bottle 3 liter you pay a deposit. But if its 3001 ml you dont have to.

If you want to save bottles do want some cities want to do in America which ban bottled water. Why ship water from Fuji to Europe when there general is nothing wrong with irish water

Fluoride?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

It was done here, well when I was a kid you could get money for returning glass bottles to the pub. l think it was about 10 pence a bottle, don't know why it stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

I remember they used to do it in the 80s, i think it was the clear glass lemonade bottles, and you got about 10p.

Brings back memories, I remember storing the old TK bottles in the shed and bringing them back to the shops in loads. for the 80 or 90p!

The Czechs used to do it, twas great getting full bottles of beer in exchange for empty ones. The magic never got old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Aren't a lot of bottles not refilled any more? Just crushed and recycled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

the money you get back is added to what you originally paid for the drink.You dont get money for nothing its just a way to make sure you recycle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Aren't a lot of bottles not refilled any more? Just crushed and recycled?

In Ireland glass is crushed and recycled. In a lot of other European countries, bottles are sent back to the brewer and refilled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Would probably cost more to implement than it's worth. Bit like losing money on parking charges. Sell your old clothes instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

iamstop wrote: »
    Why is this not a thing in Ireland? Most States in the US and Provinces in the CA have it that if you return your empties you get a nominal refund. Some it's 10 or 15 cents even.
    I think it would help reduce litter and promote recycling. All the folks who go knacker drinking might actually take their rubbish with them! :confused:

I'd be rich if they done that here, the amount of cans i dump a week is phenomenal. Great idea though.
    returnNull wrote: »
    the money you get back is added to what you originally paid for the drink.You dont get money for nothing its just a way to make sure you recycle

You get money from your empty cans so it's not money for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Here in the Netherlands a 1.5 - 2l bottle of lemonade has 25c tacked onto the price. A crate of beer is about 10 euro + 3.90 tacked on. You get that back when you return the bottles and crate. It's great, it encourages recycling and also means you can easily start a small food and beverage savings account in the shed. My fella used to chuck all his empties out onto the balcony and called it his savings account. One tight week he and his flatmate brought the empties back and got about 60 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

hfallada wrote: »
    Why ship water from Fuji to Europe when there general is nothing wrong with irish water

Galway...

Other than fluoride the water tends to be fine but its the pipes it goes through that are the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

MadsL wrote: »
    The Czechs used to do it, twas great getting full bottles of beer in exchange for empty ones. The magic never got old.

Still do do it. Its funny seeing winos the morning after a gig or party picking up glass bottles to get the money for them. No wonder the place looks cleaner.

First time I bought beer there, it was 104 czk for 10 bottles of beer, which is just over 4 euros, but you get 3 czk back for every bottle you take back, so over all 10 beers only cost around 2.80.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Fluoride?

Yep. Exactly. Nothing wrong with Irish water.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

It can only be a good thing it incentives recycling and it means cheaper bin rates for those without glass bins .

Yep. Exactly. Nothing wrong with Irish water.

Go to Galway, drink the water, get comfortable on the throne, you'll be there for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Seen it in Denmark as well. Plastic, glass and cans all had a tax. The homeless would walk around picking up any discarded ones. Kept the place nice and clean.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

syklops wrote: »
    Go to Galway, drink the water, get comfortable on the throne, you'll be there for a week.

Are you stuck in a small period of time which ended about 5 years ago or something?

The water in Galway is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Hownowcow

I remember as a child getting refunds on bottles too.

Believe it or not, at the time you could pay into the local cinema with jam jars. I had forgotten about it until I read this thread.

About ten years ago I used to bring in my drinks cans to a colleague in the job. Her children's school used to raise money from them.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Are you stuck in a small period of time which ended about 5 years ago or something?

The water in Galway is fine.

No, I have elderly parents who cannot trust the water supply that they have to pay for. The first time there was a contaminant in the water the alert went out via the weekly church newsletter. The authorities werent exactly Johnny on the spot.

You talk like galways water wasnt ok, for a day a few years ago.

Boil Notice for mid-galway 7 months ago

Some parts of galway have had boil notices for over a decade.

Still do do it. Its funny seeing winos the morning after a gig or party picking up glass bottles to get the money for them. No wonder the place looks cleaner.

First time I bought beer there, it was 104 czk for 10 bottles of beer, which is just over 4 euros, but you get 3 czk back for every bottle you take back, so over all 10 beers only cost around 2.80.

Newbie. In 1993 a beer ran about CZK 2.80 or about 7 pence GBP :D

Newbie. In 1993 a beer ran about CZK 2.80 or about 7 pence GBP :D

In a pub or supermarket?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

So we all pretty much agree we should reinstate this kind of system then yeah?

iamstop wrote: »
    So we all pretty much agree we should reinstate this kind of system then yeah?

Just looked in my drinks cabinet. If this was reinstated at 10c a bottle Id have enough for a Mars bar and a cup of tae.

Instead, the contents is going in the rubbish. Yeah I agree it should be reinstated.

In a pub or supermarket?

1993 Prague asks "what's a supermarket?" but yes in a shop. Beer in pub was between 6-20 CZK. Say 15-50 pence GBP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Yes, I think it should definitely be reinstated. Make all the people on the dole earn their €188 per week this way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

BNMC wrote: »
    Yes, I think it should definitely be reinstated. Make all the people on the dole earn their €188 per week this way.

By turning into glass bottles??

Advertisement