Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5c or 10c Refunds for Cans and Bottles

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

MadsL wrote: »
    1993 Prague asks "what's a supermarket?" but yes in a shop. Beer in pub was between 6-20 CZK. Say 15-50 pence GBP.

Well the currency has strengthened quite a bit since then. Now one of the strongest in europe. A beer in a pub is 25-35 in 'normal' places, but 31 is about 1 GBP, so its maybe doubled in price.

In the example I gave earlier, 10 bottles for 104 czk, is 10czk per bottle, which is 33 pence GBP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

zenno wrote: »
    You get money from your empty cans so it's not money for nothing.
    yes but the money you get back is added on to the price you paid in the first place for the drink.If you dont return the can you are down how ever much extra was added on to the retail price.Give the can back you break even.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

FearDark wrote: »
    20c back for every bottle in NZ.
    Nice little incentive to drink more.

where? I've never seen that anywhere in NZ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

BNMC wrote: »
    Yes, I think it should definitely be reinstated. Make all the people on the dole earn their €188 per week this way.

FFS, would someone please close the door on this, pretty please with icing on top.

Dole thread that a way
    >

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Fluoride?

and faeces

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭JD DABA

returnNull wrote: »
    yes but the money you get back is added on to the price you paid in the first place for the drink.If you dont return the can you are down how ever much extra was added on to the retail price.Give the can back you break even.

So its a bit like the shopping trolley system then....bring it back to the yoke for your euro.

Sounds good, I see we're all in accord, so lets progress to the next Irish stage and do absolutely nothing about it.

Of course it sounds good but where is the money going to come from?

Are coke/ diageo / whoever going to accept & pay for returns, strip the labels, wash the bottles, QC them and then re-use them or are they going to just use cheaper new bottles? All while having to increase the cost of their product, employ more people to process returns, increased spend on detergent and washing etc?

And the reason milk comes in plastic now is that people decided resused glass was somehow dirty or unpleasant, certainly a problem you'd encounter again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

A lot of pub standard bottles are returnable. Basically, if it comes in a crate it gets returned. If it's in a box/plastic wrap, it gets recycled. a pub I worked in years ago had an off-licence where we would sell pint bottles of Guinness to auld fellas and they always made sure to return the bottles because we'd give them the money off their next purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

I remember they used to do it in the 80s, i think it was the clear glass lemonade bottles, and you got about 10p.
    As a kid back then, this was a huge source of my income.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

Of course it sounds good but where is the money going to come from?

Are coke/ diageo / whoever going to accept & pay for returns, strip the labels, wash the bottles, QC them and then re-use them or are they going to just use cheaper new bottles? All while having to increase the cost of their product, employ more people to process returns, increased spend on detergent and washing etc?

And the reason milk comes in plastic now is that people decided resused glass was somehow dirty or unpleasant, certainly a problem you'd encounter again.
    The reason it comes in plastic is that it makes bigger profits to the manufacturers.
    I've never heard anyone complain about reused glass bottles.
    Your bottles of Heineken and Budweiser are all reused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Yep. Exactly. Nothing wrong with Irish water.

I don't know what's in it or if it's any harm but even at the best of times there is a definite colour difference between bottled and tap water around here,at the worst of times it looks like pond water.Bottled for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

On my first visit to the USA I casually noticed my cousins throwing their plastic bottles out the window into their backyard from their apartment window, I asked them why the littering and they explained how some woman (not homeless) picks them up and recycles them and gets a nickle per bottle. Ingenoius idea and a few days later I encountered this woman driving a shopping trolley along the street full of these bottles making her rounds and according to my cousins she can sometimes make a grand a week depending on how many bottles she finds, sporting events on a hot day being a gold mine for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭JonEBGud

When I was a small fellow we used to get 6d (six pence old money) for flagon bottles and 3d for mineral bottles.
    And milk bottles were returned every day to be refilled.

Your bottles of Heineken and Budweiser are all reused.

no they're not, they get crushed and added to the furnace for making new ones, they don't get washed and re-used directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭FameHungry

That money would definitely add up pretty quickly, would be great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

no they're not, they get crushed and added to the furnace for making new ones, they don't get washed and re-used directly.
    Pub bottles do.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

All glass is recycled off-island after the closure of Irish Glass so not a huge environmental gain in many ways. Such a scheme would need to linked to decent on-island processing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I remember they used to do it in the 80s, i think it was the clear glass lemonade bottles, and you got about 10p.
    As a kid back then, this was a huge source of my income.

fairly sure you mean pocket money. income lol :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

In Argentina the refund amounts are crazy.

For 1L glass beer bottles, in one supermarket drop off you get the equivalent of 50 cents a bottle. 50 cents!

There's also two types of Coca Cola bottles. Ones with yellow caps mean you can return them to a shop and purchase another yellow capped one at a discounted price. The yellow capped bottles are sent back and refilled. The yellow ones are about 30-40 cents cheaper than the red capped ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

1993 Prague asks "what's a supermarket?" but yes in a shop. Beer in pub was between 6-20 CZK. Say 15-50 pence GBP.
    I was there in 2000, and I think it was the equivalent of £1.50 for a beer, with a 0.50p return on the bottle. Good days; stashing the booze under a pier in the river, absinthe round the campfie... Ah, memories...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭IK09

You can get money back for cans in galway.

I think its €4 per 100 cans. You can only bring in 100 at a time and you are given a voucher, which you have to go to city hall to cash in. They make it a pretty hard system to use.

Myself and the mother in law have been keeping any cans we have. Id say theres well over 1500 now. If you crush them and throw them into a trailer (or something else rarely used) its nothing on ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

iamstop wrote: »
    Why is this not a thing in Ireland? Most States in the US and Provinces in the CA have it that if you return your empties you get a nominal refund. Some it's 10 or 15 cents even.
    I think it would help reduce litter and promote recycling. All the folks who go knacker drinking might actually take their rubbish with them! :confused:

We have it here in germany too. Depending on the bottle type you get 8, 15 or 25 cent back on return. Due to water being so cheap in places like Lidl often this is more than the price of the water you get. A crate of Cola for example will bring you €3.30 on return.

The result is that I have never seen bottles as trash on roads, hardly ever see broken beer bottles ever, and even at events like when I took my brother to U2 in Munich beggars show up with a shopping trolley and collect all discarded bottles meaning that by the time people get inside the gig there are no bottle lying around the stadium.

Lidl also did a great button on the machines that are used to return the bottles. You had the option to get your money back or donate the money to charity. This seemed to drum up quite a few millions for charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

hfallada wrote: »
    If you want to save bottles do want some cities want to do in America which ban bottled water. Why ship water from Fuji to Europe when there general is nothing wrong with irish water
    Although I agree within most cities, outside the cities having bottled water is great. Also, don't drink the tap water in London; projectile vomited after drinking some to hydrate myself. Bad idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

JD DABA wrote: »
    So its a bit like the shopping trolley system then....bring it back to the yoke for your euro.

Sounds good, I see we're all in accord, so lets progress to the next Irish stage and do absolutely nothing about it.

I recycle everyday, why should i have to bring my recycling to another place just to get money returned to me that is mine in the first place.

Its not such a genius scheme for everyone. All your doing is making it a bit more of a pain for people who already recycle. And giving money to bums that will search the bins for those that dont.

Watch a bin in frankfurt airport for an hour to see how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

The same system is implemented here in Germany. Also, there isn't one recycle bin. There's two, one for plastic and one for paper/cardboard. People I've met so far haven't horsed their last garbage bag into the recycling because "sher **** it" like my old neighbor used to do :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

it used to be also be in ireland when the small bottlers were still on the go but it was organised by the individual bottler rather than any industry wide standard.

The reasons its abroad are just as valid in Ireland. If you leave it to the consumer then a large amount of the metal and glass will end up in amongst the normal rubbish and buried or burned.

Theres actually 2 systems in germany, theres resusable and once use deposits.
    The "re-usable" stuff gets washed and refilled and is a small deposit. Its mostly glass but also really heavy duty mineral bottles too.
    The "use once" stuff has a deposit nearly 4 times as high - either glass, plastic or cans gets crushed and is melted down into new containers (or whatever) rather than being reused as is.

Its a minor hassle but like a lot of others here, I dont mind the idea and you get used to it very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Can you imagine the retail sector having a hissy fit if asked to do all that extra work. Plus, as mentioned before, we have pretty much no recycling plants here in Ireland and just ship all our recyclables off to the UK or the likes so it wouldn't even generate jobs here.
    That said, it should obviously be in.place here and it's a backward disgrace that it isnt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Can you imagine the retail sector having a hissy fit if asked to do all that extra work. Plus, as mentioned before, we have pretty much no recycling plants here in Ireland and just ship all our recyclables off to the UK or the likes so it wouldn't even generate jobs here.
    That said, it should obviously be in.place here and it's a backward disgrace that it isnt
    true, but most pish beer sold in ireland, and most beer sold in ireland is pish, is brewed and bottled in ireland under licence, so should it be a returnable bottle that is reused, then it would save on heaps of bottle being sent abroad as broken glass.

Cans are a differnt story as they cannot be reused, but one of europes largest aluminum plants is near limerick, so problem solved on that front too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

As I hated to see the broken glass around town after a weekend night, and as I hated to hear stupid knackers smashing their empty bottles off of walls for a laugh, I'd love to see a hefty deposit system in place for glass bottles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

listermint wrote: »
    I recycle everyday, why should i have to bring my recycling to another place just to get money returned to me that is mine in the first place.
    You get your money returned by the shop you bought the crate / bottles from in the first place, so you just take them with you when you go shopping for beer / water / whatever again.

Advertisement