Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life in prison vs. Death Penalty

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I would like to see a system like in the film "the running man" where a person on death row gets to fight for their freedom . But it's crazy hard if not pretty much impossible and show this program on a sat evening instead of britains got no talent or X factor .

They could call it ****s hit the fan factor , once again the whole family could sit around the table and enjoy real entertainment that hasn't been seen since "you bet".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Gin77

Death penalty now that would save a lot of money in society. Repeat offenders of drug related crime, rapists, etc. should all be given the death penalty in Ireland.
    Cant believe the lives these people have!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,224 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Pretty horrible topic but, that said, I think Death is the no brainer here.

Death Row inmates are comparatively well treated in the US system and you would be far more likely to generate media interest and as such get the opportunity to spout whatever you wish to say to a broad audience.

Don't think I'd cut it in a maximum security US Prison for capital offenders (not sure most would tbh).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'm against the death penalty and wouldn't choose it for myself either.

Oh, and I've read that lethal injection can be fairly painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Ush1 wrote: »
    I'm against the death penalty and wouldn't choose it for myself either.

I'm against it too, but I think I'd choose it over life imprisonment with no chance of release.

There have been plenty of studies that say the lethal injection is painful, and not much more humane than death by electrocution. It's one of those things that can be different for everyone though, and it's pretty difficult to test it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,224 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Ush1 wrote: »

Possibly excruciatingly painful yes from certain things I've read.

However, a life of looking over your shoulder in a maximum security prison stuffed full of people willing to do unspeakable ills to you for their own advancement seems worse somehow?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Possibly excruciatingly painful yes from certain things I've read.

However, a life of looking over your shoulder in a maximum security prison stuffed full of people willing to do unspeakable ills to you for their own advancement seems worse somehow?

I'm never surprised by how adaptable people can be though. People think they aren't capable of certain things and suddenly in a situation, survival instincts kick in.

Probably all just a matter of figuring things out, just like society. I'm not saying it would be a pleasant life, maybe you'd have to shank someone or take a couple of beatings. Never know until you're in the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Squiggle

This thread reminds me of an essay I read recently about a man who has been held in solitary confinement for the last 26 years, and will spend the rest of his life there. It is a disturbing piece, and a fate far far worse than death IMO. Although his crime was worthy of a terrible punishment, it is very difficult not to feel sympathy for this man, who is basically living a life of constant torture. Really interesting read and difficult to understand how this man is still sane.

http://solitarywatch.com/2013/03/11/voices-from-solitary-a-sentence-worse-than-death/

Found it quite refreshing tbh. My sympathies would be reserved for his victims and their families. Would love to see Sean Courtney, Joe O Reilly, Brian Kearney and many other convicted murderers experience the same fate.

Advertisement