Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life in prison vs. Death Penalty

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mangochavez

Seachmall wrote: »
    Technically America is the North and South American continents (i.e. The Americas).

The country is the United States of America.

Toss my salad.

Who goes around saying "Did ya see the latest shooting there in the United States of America?". Only morons, if even that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Toss my salad.

Who goes around saying "Did ya see the latest shooting there in the United States of America?". Only morons, if even that.

You seem a tad touchy.

Too much sun? Or not enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

You seem a tad touchy.

I think its cause the OP's not getting the responses he wanted for his fun and entertaining thread .

Toss my salad.

Did you hear about the latest shootings in the States?

You seem a tad touchy.

Tossing my salad would be an honour. I'm only touchy when you're a hot girl and I've paid you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Most Americans that I know refer to it as the US, it wasn't until I started posting on this board and when I lived in Ireland that I heard it frequently referred to as America. We have patriotic songs referencing America, but I think it really is an older generational thing. We call ourselves Americans, but that has more to do with being the first American colony to liberate ourselves from our colonial rulers and we needed to identify ourselves as an independent group, distinct from the British, Spanish, French, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

I'd dye my hair blonde highlights and preach salvation to the macho prisoners then do my term. After all, you leave in a coffin one way or the other. Peace!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 pawspaws

donvito99 wrote: »
    The prisons in Ireland are quite cushy by all accounts.

And life in Ireland is 14 years with good behaviour, innit.

Eh , no!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

I voted before reading. I don't think the death penalty should exist at all.
    If they did the crime, what kind of punishment is it really? ..and if they didn't do the crime(which has happened too often) than you've forced an innocent person to death..at least with life..they'll have something left once found innocent..

____
    but after reading your OP. yes, I would choose death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Technically America is the North and South American continents (i.e. The Americas).

The country is the United States of America.

According to Wikipedia, you're wrong.
      America usually refers to either:
        The Americas, a landmass comprising North and South America
        The United States of America, a country in North America

Technically 'The Americas' refers to a landmass comprising North and South America, while 'The United States of America' is a particular country in North America and the word 'America' is commonly used to refer to either (and in some cases, other things entirely - like the city of America, or things named 'America'...)

Google seems to agree:
      a·mer·i·ca
      /əˈmerikə/
      A landmass in the western hemisphere that consists of the continents of
        North and South America joined by the Isthmus of Panama.
        Used as a name for the United States.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

UCDVet wrote: »

According to Wikipedia, you're wrong.

Technically 'The Americas' refers to a landmass comprising North and South America, while 'The United States of America' is a particular country in North America and the word 'America' is commonly used to refer to either (and in some cases, other things entirely - like the city of America, or things named 'America'...)

Google seems to agree:

"America" to refer to the US is a colloquialism.

As far as I'm aware there is no official reference to the US as "America" in any US or international documents.

I could be wrong, but I've never seen it officially referred to as "America" before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I honestly don't think people are considering the idea of having to count the torturous weeks, days and hours before being put to death. Knowing things like it's your last night alive in the world, eating a last meal that's never going to taste good, the terrifying walk to your execution, and I don't think anyone can really assume being injected with toxins is painless.

At least if you go to prison there is always at least a tiny amount of hope that you can get out. With that hope and the fact that humans can pretty much adapt to any situation or environment I would choose to serve the time.

I guarantee every one of you who chose the death penalty would regret it more and more the closer the time came to your execution.

I guarantee every one of you who chose the death penalty would regret it more and more the closer the time came to your execution.

You can't guarantuee that. It wouldn't be torturous for everyone. Many people look to death as a way out. Know the when would actually hold some peace. No surprises, no pain(since most places with death penalty use lethal injection now) ..no aging. Just a simple, final end. And you get to know when.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Life meaning life for the nutjobs, ie; Dennis Nillsens, Mark Bridger's, Ian Brady's etc and no stupid tabloid celebritizing them either, they should be forgotten about and given zero publicity, who gives a ****e if they've got a PS2 in their cell?

People deemed rehabilitated should serve 15-20 years for murder and be released on licence and recalled at any time for the next 10 years.

Rape should get 10 to 15 years instead of the joke 3 to 5 year period it generally merits.

The state should have no right to end a human's life no matter how egregious their conduct, and people like Derek Bentley and Timothy Evans would have lived if justice hadn't fecked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Definitely life in prison. If I committed a crime that resulted in a life sentence then you should do the time. No point chickening out of it....if you were brave enough to commit a terrible crime, you should be brave enough to serve your sentence. Plus how can anyone prepare for death in that short period? At least you'll have lots of time in prison to prepare for all that as well as reflecting and repenting. Also any form of life is better than no life at all. Just because you'd be in prison doesn't mean you're useless to the world. I'd definitely make the best of my time in there regardless of the dangers in prison. I don't understand how anyone could want to die just like that. Even the coldest criminals have been reported to have been in bits when faced with the death penalty. I bet the majority would rather live in poor conditions rather than die. I guess we could only see if we were faced with that position. But I definitely would rather live in absolute sh*t for decades than die a prematurely.

dd972 wrote: »
        Rape should get 10 to 15 years instead of the joke 3 to 5 year period it generally merits.

Never understood this view. In my view, rape should be punished equally with aggravated assault, if even that. Is it REALLY so, so bad to be forcibly penetrated? I do agree the crime deserves jail time, but only a minimal sentence. False accusations of rape are obviously rampant, so if 10 to 15 years was given, the chance of innocent men serving that time is extremely high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Never understood this view. In my view, rape should be punished equally with aggravated assault, if even that. Is it REALLY so, so bad to be forcibly penetrated? I do agree the crime deserves jail time, but only a minimal sentence. False accusations of rape are obviously rampant, so if 10 to 15 years was given, the chance of innocent men serving that time is extremely high.

You have got to be trolling, it seems to me the system favours the perpetrator. Its not just the physical assault but also the emotional distress caused should be taken into account in sentencing.

The false accusation crap you speak of also feeds into the social stigma wrongfully attached to victims. Who in their right mind would go through the distress caused by a trial to make a false accusations against someone? If some does make a malicious accusation through they should get the same punishment as the crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Are you actually serious?
        A person who sexually assaults another
        has no care for them, no empathy
        and it is not a crime fuelled by rage.
        It is the most despicable animalistic
        pre-meditated criminal offence of them all.

Yes, it is REALLY so so bad to be forcibly penetrated.

Yes, it is REALLY so so bad to be forcibly penetrated.

I respect your personal experience, but it cannot be argued logically. Therefore it shouldn't and cannot be taken serious in a court of law. Law's meant to be objective remember? 6 months to 3 years is perfect imo. I wanted to study law when I was younger, and have read much on the subject.

• Advertisement

I respect your personal experience, but it cannot be argued logically. Therefore it shouldn't and cannot be taken serious in a court of law. Law's meant to be objective remember? 6 months to 3 years is perfect imo. I wanted to study law when I was younger, and have read much on the subject.

I have studied law and I have survived sexual trauma committed against me at a very, very young age. Your comment makes no sense to me as someone who has experienced the lifelong after effects of 'being forcibly penetrated'. It was an ignorant and insensitive comment. You are entitled to your view, but I'm entitled to say that you are wrong. Rape or sexual assault isn't solely about being forcibly penetrated. It is about having your choice taken away from you. The possession of your body taken from you. Your sense of security taken away from you. You feel alien in your own skin knowing that someone was able to 'take' something from you.

I have studied law and I have survived sexual trauma committed against me at a very, very young age. Your comment makes no sense to me as someone who has experienced the lifelong after effects of 'being forcibly penetrated'. It was an ignorant and insensitive comment. You are entitled to your view, but I'm entitled to say that you are wrong. Rape or sexual assault isn't solely about being forcibly penetrated. It is about having your choice taken away from you. The possession of your body taken from you. Your sense of security taken away from you. You feel alien in your own skin knowing that someone was able to 'take' something from you.

It's a horrible crime alright, but in the late 90s I was violently assaulted by a group of vulgar youths. As a man, this was severely traumatizing for me. All those things you mentioned I felt. Is this not just as bad as rape? If not, how so?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Mangochavez banned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 lisalogan

I'd prefer death....what is there to live for in prison?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I think if I committed a crime bad enough to warrant the death penalty - let's say some sort of a vicious, unprovoked, unwarranted homocide or series of homocides - I'd pretty much want to be dead anyway.

It's a horrible crime alright, but in the late 90s I was violently assaulted by a group of vulgar youths. As a man, this was severely traumatizing for me. All those things you mentioned I felt. Is this not just as bad as rape? If not, how so?

Perhaps it is as bad.

rape is an assault of sorts.
        Perhaps assault needs an increase in sentencing?

Both, can destroy a person with PTSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭JonEBGud

[/B]

Think I'd do community service rather than the other options, Mr. Chavez. Thank you. . .:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

If you're gonna spend the rest of your life in prison I'd just get the death penalty rather than spend the rest of my life stuck in a cell.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

WT actual F?!?

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

This thread reminds me of an essay I read recently about a man who has been held in solitary confinement for the last 26 years, and will spend the rest of his life there. It is a disturbing piece, and a fate far far worse than death IMO. Although his crime was worthy of a terrible punishment, it is very difficult not to feel sympathy for this man, who is basically living a life of constant torture. Really interesting read and difficult to understand how this man is still sane.

http://solitarywatch.com/2013/03/11/voices-from-solitary-a-sentence-worse-than-death/

Advertisement