Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life in prison vs. Death Penalty

Options
  • 09-06-2013 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

So let's say you were arrested on a couple of real charges, like murder/home invasion/felony murder or something of the sort. And let's say this happened in a death-penalty state in America. And I know this wouldn't be likely to happen but let's just say you were given these two options:

*Taking a plea deal with life/no-parole sentence

*Not taking a plea deal and trying to get the death penalty for your crimes

Note: I know that there's all kinds of appeal processes and other things that you can undertake to try to get your sentence reduced or whatever, but let's just say that in this hypothetical situation your only two options are as I described above. So no appeals, no pardons from the governor, no letters to the President or your congressman. Life in prison or the needle.

My take on this: I personally think that taking the death penalty would be a much better alternative. Here's how I see this. Once you become condemned or placed on death row, not only do you get more respect in the criminal underworld, you also get separately housed and you're likely to get your own cell. Most condemned inmates spend 5-10 years on death row after which they execute you. The execution itself is quite painless. They sedate you and then administer 3 different toxins, so you pretty much just fall asleep and never wake up.

On the other hand, taking a life-no-parole sentence would mean spending the rest of your days incarcerated, regretting what you did and lusting after a normal civilian life. There'd be more stability for you in that you'd get a place to sleep and 3 meals a day. For good behaviour and staying on the administration's good side you could score some neat jobs in prison or maybe some rehabilitation and classes or what not. However, most lifers get placed in general population with all the other inmates and that's where all the difficulties and implications associated with prison emerge. On every yard there's gangs, politics, racial tensions and all kinds of pitfalls. Staying by yourself and not joining a gang would instantly get you preyed upon, while cliquing up with some faction could get you caught up in all kinds of bull****. To make your bones you would definitely have to do some dirt, possibly even kill or stab someone. Blood in, blood out.

What most people think on this: Oh no! Death penalty means they kill you! (D'uh)
    You're crazy! Life is so precious! How can you pick death over life?
    Life in jail wouldn't be too bad! Some joints have TV's, cigarettes, conjugal visits. etc. etc.

What do you guys think? Is life in prison worth living? Is a ****ty life worth living? Would you rather pick the death penalty over life in prison?

What would you pick? 68 votes

Life in prison
    0% 0 votes
    Death penalty
    100% 68 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

In which country?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mangochavez

galwayrush wrote: »
    In which country?

Can't you read, dumb dumb?:
    So let's say you were arrested on a couple of real charges, like murder/home invasion/felony murder or something of the sort. And let's say this happened in a death-penalty state in America. And I know this wouldn't be likely to happen but let's just say you were given these two options:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

I"ll give the lifetime of salad tossing option a miss.
    Yeah ,its lethal injection all the way thanks warden.

I"ll give the lifetime of salad tossing option a miss.
    Yeah ,its lethal injection all the way thanks warden.

What's salad tossing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Meritocracy Wins

Life in Prison until I am old, then execution. Gives me time to find God.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

If it was one of those prisons in America where everyone is in a gang and smoking meth. I would take the death penalty. You cant have a good life living in a cell 23 hours day with no human contact accept for a hour in an exercise cage.

Good luck. Humanity's taken 50,000+ years, and nada. What makes you think you could do it while practically locked in a cage?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

He was behind the couch.

Watching you.

Judging you.

Watching you masturbate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Hownowcow

Instant death.

For some reason I don't like the idea of all them conjugal visits from my prison husbands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

The prisons in Ireland are quite cushy by all accounts.

And life in Ireland is 14 years with good behaviour, innit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

What's salad tossing?
    Its nothing to do with working in the prison canteen.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

No need to be a prick.

Good luck. Humanity's taken 50,000+ years, and nada. What makes you think you could do it while practically locked in a cage?

The idea of death might focus the mind, 50K years isn't long in terms of infinity.
    2k years a go a man walked among us, might have been him. He might visit.
    antodeco wrote: »
    He was behind the couch.

Watching you.

Judging you.

Watching you masturbate.

I always check first.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

<3 this post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

death penalty. its a no brainer, in fact in some ways they should take it away as that punishment is too easy. some things are worse than death, and life in prison is one of them things

IM0 wrote: »
    death penalty. its a no brainer, in fact in some ways they should take it away as that punishment is too easy. some things are worse than death, and life in prison is one of them things

We say that now, but I'm sure you'd adapt to life in prison over the years, and be satisfied with it. The only thing that should be illegal are religious delusions. I'm sure any Christian would choose death, thinking they'd go to heaven. Religious people should at least be officially considered mentally unsound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

hang them all let god judge them after that

kasper wrote: »
    hang them all let god judge them after that

:rolleyes:

That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Life in prison cos YOLO

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

hfallada wrote: »
    If it was one of those prisons in America where everyone is in a gang and smoking meth. I would take the death penalty. You cant have a good life living in a cell 23 hours day with no human contact accept for a hour in an exercise cage.

But sure you'll be living the good life in jail if you're smoking meth all the time :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

America isn't a country, dumb dumb.

callaway92 wrote: »
    <3 this post

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

If you pick the death penalty do you get the option of confession?

Don't want to be executed with making good with the big man.

Most condemned inmates spend 5-10 years on death row after which they execute you.

Only because their appeals take that long to process, an eventuality you have already discounted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

You would have the opportunity to consult with a spiritual adviser and you could have an opportunity to talk to loved ones (or those you harmed) before you were put to death.

This may be interesting to some of you:
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=90935&page=2#.UbScs0DVDgd

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

The United States of America - commonly known as America - is a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

id take life in prison.

You never know you might actually like it. :)

On the other hand after a few years of being locked up and you wanted out you could always pick a few ill advised fights and get killed.

I always thought it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

I'd take a life sentence.

I'd try be productive in the little that
    I could do. Such as write an account of my life
    and where I felt I went wrong just as a way of
    leaving my mark however small.

If it didnt suit me after some time had passed I could
    always go down the other route.
    (Though admittidly not as cushily)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I always thought it was.

Technically America is the North and South American continents (i.e. The Americas).

The country is the United States of America.

Advertisement