Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Meh. Supped up Mondeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Sobanek wrote: »
    Meh. Supped up Mondeo.

Not a bad thing, mondeo reliability with better looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,026 ✭✭✭✭unkel

A Mondeo is hardly a luxobarge though!

That said, it's not a bad bangernomics car, just posted in the wrong thread :D

CL 500, asking €4,995

32629493.jpeg

S500, yours for under €2k

31429950.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

That s500 is great value. Some car for small money.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Just priced car + 12 months tax and insurance on the S500 for the craic, comes to €4,999 for me. Checking fuelly, some folks are getting 25 UK MPG which isn't bad considering.

Edit: an S320 works out €580 cheaper to insure, and S280 insurance almost exactly 50% of the S500.

Trojan wrote: »
    Edit: an S320 works out €580 cheaper to insure, and S280 insurance almost exactly 50% of the S500.

That means your quote on the S500 was over a grand? Presuming you are over 30 with full NCB, I'd say you could get a much better quote than that. You need to seriously shop around though, ring all insurance companies and all brokers

The last quote for my BMW 735i V8 a few years ago was about €500 and that was fully comp, with limited business use and full NCB protection

unkel wrote: »
    That means your quote on the S500 was over a grand? Presuming you are over 30 with full NCB, I'd say you could get a much better quote than that. You need to seriously shop around though, ring all insurance companies and all brokers

The last quote for my BMW 735i V8 a few years ago was about €500 and that was fully comp, with limited business use and full NCB protection

I'm 36, living in rural county, private driveway, 5+ years NCB, no points or claims. I did chose personal + commuting. (Aside: as a self-employed (i.e. director) consultant/business mentor/software developer, I find the occupation field difficult to fill in). I did notice an immediate €200 drop when I turned 36.

The S500 was €1390 from AA. NoNonsense site wouldn't quote me, and I didn't do further checks. (Is there anyone else who gives an immediate online quote?)

Here's the breakdown (all from AA):
    Year	Car		 Reg	 Engine Tax	Insurance	 Car 
    2000	Mercedes S500	00D1689	 5.0 	 € 1,809 	 €1,390 €1,800 
    2000	Mercedes S320	---	 3.2 	 € 1,809 	 €814 	 €1,800 
    2000	Mercedes S280	---	 2.8 	 € 1,391 	 €685 	 €1,500

I'm not sure where else you would get an immediate online quote. But if you're seriously considering buying that S500, you will have to invest a few hours doing it the old fashioned way: on the phone ringing all big brokers and all insurers

For me broker Glennons got better quotes than anyone for many years running (insured with Eagle Star). Several other people on this forum have stated the same (with other higher end cars like a BMW M3 / BMW M5 iirc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Just priced car + 12 months tax and insurance on the S500 for the craic, comes to €4,999 for me. Checking fuelly, some folks are getting 25 UK MPG which isn't bad considering.

Would nearly be cheaper to fuel a 500 than a 280. I've had both and a 280 is a pig on fuel and to drive. 500 is a dream.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

Crasp wrote: »
    I just bought this :o

Got the dreaded airmatic: visit workshop warning last night :(

Just dropped €120 on a TV/video input for the COMAND system too over the weekend...

Haven't taxed it yet though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I'm 36, living in rural county, private driveway, 5+ years NCB, no points or claims. I did chose personal + commuting. (Aside: as a self-employed (i.e. director) consultant/business mentor/software developer, I find the occupation field difficult to fill in). I did notice an immediate €200 drop when I turned 36.

The S500 was €1390 from AA. NoNonsense site wouldn't quote me, and I didn't do further checks. (Is there anyone else who gives an immediate online quote?)

My '05 740 is €800 a year, 30 y/o, full NCB etc. The cheapest of 3 brokers and many well known insurers wouldn't quote due to engine size.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

99 735 , 23 (at time of policy) , 5 years NCB , 1000 a year through a broker.
    and S280 insurance almost exactly 50% of the S500.

its also only half the fun :pac:

Would nearly be cheaper to fuel a 500 than a 280. I've had both and a 280 is a pig on fuel and to drive.

I've heard that of quite a few cars where larger engined is similar or even better MPG (down the scale a bit, E39 2.2 vs 2.5 petrol springs to mind).

If I do get a proper barge like a S500, I'd almost certainly be LPGing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

Was it that era of v8 mercs that used shut down one bank of cylinders while cruising to increase economy?
    Might explain the s500 being ok on fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Was it that era of v8 mercs that used shut down one bank of cylinders while cruising to increase economy?
    Might explain the s500 being ok on fuel.

I know the v12s did it back as far as the 90s afaik . No idea when the v8 got it

Interesting. Called "variable displacement" in general, and "Active Cylinder Control" specifically on the Merc.

M138 V12 2001-2002
    Daimler AG's Active Cylinder Control (ACC) is a variable displacement technology. It debuted in 2001 on the 5.8 L V12 in the CL600 and S600. Like Chrysler's later Multi-Displacement System, General Motors' Active Fuel Management and Honda's Variable Cylinder Management, it deactivates one bank of the engine's cylinders when the throttle is closed.

In order to preserve the sound of the engines, DaimlerChrysler worked with Eberspaecher to design a special exhaust system for ACC-equipped vehicles. The system uses an active valve to divert exhaust between two different exhaust systems. It also has a variable length intake manifold system to optimize output in the two modes.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/subaru-legacy/7707177

3 litre petrol legacy with heated cow seats and xenons for €1500

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Wow that's cheap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

That'd be great craic to drive. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Thats prime candidate for LPG and/or commercial conversion IMO.
    Nice looking car and surprisingly cheap.
    Are we really that opposed to petrol powered 3 liter cars as a nation? I knew it was bad but a top spec 05 awd legacy for sub 1500??

No market for it. Kinda falls between two stools. It's not a barge, it's nothing special that you could 'justify' paying 2k a year to tax.

Would make a smashing track car.

Big Nasty wrote: »
    No market for it. Kinda falls between two stools. It's not a barge, it's nothing special that you could 'justify' paying 2k a year to tax.

Would make a smashing track car.

I dunno. At 1495 (probably 1300 odd to buy) I could justify the 1500 p/a tax.

Convert to RWD and would indeed make a great track car! I've seen a few such conversions for sale in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

whether its a barge or not, that is a bargain and a half. FFS im nearly creaming meself looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Thats prime candidate for LPG and/or commercial conversion IMO.
    Nice looking car and surprisingly cheap.
    Are we really that opposed to petrol powered 3 liter cars as a nation? I knew it was bad but a top spec 05 awd legacy for sub 1500??

Jaysus, forget the LPG, could it benefit from a turbo or a supercharger?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Marcusm wrote: »
    Jaysus, forget the LPG, could it benefit from a turbo or a supercharger?

Yes it bloody could!
    Those engines make loads if power on low boost, 7psi would be loads of a daily sleeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-gs300-sport/7485618

I think these cross the Luxobarge territory... What do you think?
    AFAIK they all come with Heated & Ventilated Seats as standard :eek:

Of course it does.

Lexii never did it for me though.

• Advertisement

I don't like that model, kindof falls between two categories for me. If I wanted a high tax luxo-lexus I'd want the ls430 with probably the world's quietest v8. If I wanted one for fun driving I'd want an IS200 and mod it up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement