Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The awkward moment when you punch a scumbag and he doesn't get back up

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

old hippy wrote: »
    Yes, I'm well aware of how having an opinion invites a violent response. I've lived by my principles of non violence and peaceful protest for many years now and some angry reactionaries on boards aren't going to make the slightest bit of difference.

Nothing to do with you getting to be martyred for your opinions. Just the self indulgent luxury of touting pacifist solutions to problems that you'll never face.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Bambi wrote: »
    Nothing to do with you getting to be martyred for your opinions. Just the self indulgent luxury of touting pacifist solutions to problems that you'll never face.

I have faced violence on too many occasions. I've posted here about them before - but nobody asks me whether I hate "skangers". Nope, it's all about my so called disdain for "authority". As I said, you and your reactionary friends can stamp your feet all you want but you will never, ever bring me round to your way of "thinking".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

So, simple question: What do you do when someone is punching you and you can't get away, or even have a job to do which means you can't just run away from the situation?

So, simple question: What do you do when someone is punching you and you can't get away, or even have a job to do which means you can't just run away from the situation?

And here's my answer, again.

I guess if I was a trained Gard I might have reacted differently. But I'm not, so I can't say. Doesn't mean I have to accept violence and excessive force, no matter who's dishing it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I guess if I was a trained Gard I might have reacted differently. But I'm not, so I can't say. Doesn't mean I have to accept violence and excessive force, no matter who's dishing it out.

So how would you react now if someone cornered you and started repeatedly punching you in the head?

Tell them you don't accept violence and hope they stop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Wasn't that video posted here last year?

blackwhite wrote: »
    So how would you react now if someone cornered you and started repeatedly punching you in the head?

I refer you to my previous answers. I have no wish to repeat myself and I have no wish to relive the times I was violently assaulted.

Violence solves nothing, it breeds more violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Differently to what? You haven't given any answer to what an appropriate response is to being assaulted. It's all very well to say violence never solves anything, and long term, to respond to violent assault with a violent defence may be bad for our society, but in the very short, indeed immediate term, are you willing to be beaten to an indeterminable extent without responding to defend yourself? Your previous answers do not deserve the name. You've done nothing but refer to events nobody asked you about, so your claim not to want to relive anything doesn't stand up to much scrutiny, since you're the one bringing in totally irrelevant asides to the debate. Right now, if someone assaults you, are you going to either a) defend yourself, b) accept whatever damage occurs to you without defending yourself, or c) some alternative to the above which you haven't yet elucidated on? This is a simple question, but you've spent an entire thread so far dancing around any answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

No one asked what you would do if you were a guard he asked what would you do in a situation where you were getting repeatedly punched you!

There is the question again
    I refer you to my previous answers. I have no wish to repeat myself and I have no wish to relive the times I was violently assaulted.

And yet again you avoid the question with another nonsensical reply.

Yes violence is never the answer but you know what? Sometimes violence is the ONLY answer.

Edit: Granny reckons she has me on ignore cos i called her a granny or something so would appreciate someone reposting this if nothing else it will piss granny off cos she has to read it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I can assure you I won't be defending police brutality. Hope they bring an action against the uniform.

Police brutality? Where?
    Yes, I'm well aware of how having an opinion invites a violent response. I've lived by my principles of non violence and peaceful protest for many years now and some angry reactionaries on boards aren't going to make the slightest bit of difference.

What would you have done differently if you were in the uniform getting punches thrown at you?

• Advertisement

Police brutality? Where?

What would you have done differently if you were in the uniform getting punches thrown at you?

You're wasting your time there mate because here is the copy/paste reply she always gives to questions like that:rolleyes:

Repeating yourself implies you actually answered the question before.

Bluster and BS as per usual - anything to avoid answering the question :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Unless you punch the crap out of a pacifist :)

That said violence solved that garda's problem fairly lively. Just shows how trite that "violence solves nothing" cliche is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Who's apologising for the teen's behaviour? :confused:

You are FFS! Saying they're only acting this way because society demonises them is excusing them! How could it be anything else?? What you're saying is: "Well they are at fault, but if we didn't demonise them...." which is the hand wringers' equivalent of "Well I'm not a racist, but....."

They were totally and utterly at fault and were dealt with. End of story. Your reference to Gardai as
    the uniform.
    is also fairly telling. I wonder who you'll be on the phone to when your house is broken into though? Will you be dialling 999 and asking for "the uniform" or the Gardai?

@bumper234

I don't know if you're replying to any of my posts but just a reminder - you are on permanent ignore, so whatever you're saying or not saying to me are not being read by me.
    To the mob - I am not apologising for the teens behaviour. Nowhere have I done this. I mentioned acts of violence towards me because I was asked what I would do if I was being attacked. Once more, violence breeds violence and I am aware having that opinion means I am open to attack.

As for authority and uniform, as previously stated, several times - I have no problem with them. It's those that use excessive force, I have a problem with.

Now, continue working yourself into a frenzy and paint pictures of what might or might not happen if this, that or the other happened.

You've only made me stronger in my opposition to violence. The violence out there and on these very boards.

@bumper234

I don't know if you're replying to any of my posts but just a reminder - you are on permanent ignore, so whatever you're saying or not saying to me are not being read by me.
    To the mob - I am not apologising for the teens behaviour. Nowhere have I done this. I mentioned acts of violence towards me because I was asked what I would do if I was being attacked. Once more, violence breeds violence and I am aware having that opinion means I am open to attack.

As for authority and uniform, as previously stated, several times - I have no problem with them. It's those that use excessive force, I have a problem with.

Now, continue working yourself into a frenzy and paint pictures of what might or might not happen if this, that or the other happened.

You've only made me stronger in my opposition to violence. The violence out there and on these very boards.

Whatever you say sweetheart ;)

@bumper234. Let me guess, more name calling or you've nothing better to do?

If you have something concrete to say to me - pm me.

Oh, that's right. This message is hidden because bumper234 is on your ignore list.

You're on ignore. You can't.
    :D

@bumper234. Let me guess, more name calling or you've nothing better to do?

If you have something concrete to say to me - pm me.

Oh, that's right. This message is hidden because bumper234 is on your ignore list.

You're on ignore. You can't.

Of course i am darling :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

How to Ignore Someone:

LALALALALALALALALALALA I CANT HEAR YOU YOU MIGHT AS WELL STOP TALKING OH YOURE TALKING BUT I CANT HEAR YOU HAHAHAHA

How to Ignore Someone:

LALALALALALALALALALALA I CANT HEAR YOU YOU MIGHT AS WELL STOP TALKING OH YOURE TALKING BUT I CANT HEAR YOU HAHAHAHA

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

How to Ignore Someone:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Old Hippy is kinda like someone from Lancaster, Pennsylvania. "We Amish don't raise our fists".

The Amish are awesome. Just wanted to mention that.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Old Hippy is kinda like someone from Lancaster, Pennsylvania. "We Amish don't raise our fists".

The Amish are awesome. Just wanted to mention that.

Are you accusing Old Hippy of running around cutting peoples hair/beards off?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Are you accusing Old Hippy of running around cutting peoples hair/beards off?? :D

You wouldn't want to say that in the "Beards are awesome" thread.....

Nooooooo that would be a violent reaction....she may wish for your hair to fall out as long as it didn't hurt you in any way shape or form:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Big Bottom

@bumper234

Probably the most sensible Ive read in this place.

Big Bottom wrote: »
    Probably the most sensible Ive read in this place.

Oh hai hippyyyyyyyyy :D

Advertisement