Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions vs Queensland Reds Sat 8 June 10:30am; Sky Sports 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

danthefan wrote: »
    That is a serious bench.

Rich mahogany

• Registered Users Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Yeah its pretty good but im a little disappointed their aren't more Irish players starting, guess Gatland has to try different systems and combinations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Yeah its pretty good but im a little disappointed their aren't more Irish players starting, guess Gatland has to try different systems and combinations.

And not pander to one country!

• Administrators Posts: 53,369 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

caff wrote: »
    Anywhere in Dublin city centre showing this at that hour of the morning

Sinnotts I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Everywhere that's open, I'm sure! I'd say any pub in town that normally shows rugby will have it on. Pub opening hours are 10.30am. No problem finding anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Buer wrote: »
    Everywhere that's open, I'm sure! I'd say any pub in town that normally shows rugby will have it on. Pub opening hours are 10.30am. No problem finding anywhere.

I'll be in the local for brekkie and the match. Any pub open and not showing the match should never ever be visited!.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Short turnaround since the last game. Wouldn't want to start Wednesday and go out and play another 80 minutes on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

farrel v cooper....complete opposites?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

He's fat, he's round, he always goes to ground Matt Stevens, Matt Stevens..

Every time he's named on the team or comes off the bench it must be posted. A little something I picked up from some Leicester fans :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fitz213

Presumably the test team will be wheeled out on Tues and then given 10 days rest. Expect Bowe, Warburton & Faletau to do 60mins top... :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Glad the Reds are putting out a strong side.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Glad the Reds are putting out a strong side.

Would rather have had the Wednesday team playing on Saturday and vice versa, would have been a proper test. A lot of this team is just giving the remaining guys a start and sticking a few other available guys in, the team on Wednesday looked a bit more balanced and had a few more potential starters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

so who'll be taking the kicks? I'd imagine that Hogg will take them given Farrell took in the Baa-baa's game. When Sexton comes on, he'll probably take over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

so who'll be taking the kicks? I'd imagine that Hogg will take them given Farrell took in the Baa-baa's game. When Sexton comes on, he'll probably take over

Farrell will take the kicks.

What is it on this forum with pass-the-parcel with goalkicking? Your best kicker takes the kicks. So when HP is on the field he takes them. I can't possibly see why Hogg would be taking the kicks if Farrell is on the field. There seems to be pages filled with debating whether Sexton will take the kicking ahead of HP. I even saw someone writing that Sexton had hurt feelings that HP took the kicking v the Force.

JS: I'm really hurt I didn't get to take the kicks.
    WG: But Halfpenny slotted 11/11, Johnny.
    JS: I can do better than that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Swiwi wrote: »
    What is it on this forum with pass-the-parcel with goalkicking? Your best kicker takes the kicks. So when HP is on the field he takes them. I can't possibly see why Hogg would be taking the kicks if Farrell is on the field. There seems to be pages filled with debating whether Sexton will take the kicking ahead of HP. I even saw someone writing that Sexton had hurt feelings that HP took the kicking v the Force.

if Hogg really is back up 10 then I'd expect him to get an opportunity to take kicks in one of the tour games. Everyone seems to be getting the opportunity. Ultimately though I do agree that best kicker should kick.

In general absolutely, but in a tour like this you have to give all the kickers a decent amount of live game kicking practice. If Halfpenny doesn't make the first test Sexton becomes your front line kicker, he'll need a fair amount of preparation. Given that Sexton and Halfpenny look like they'll be starting most of their warm-up games together you need to find some time for Sexton, Hogg is probably too far down the pecking order to be relevant though

if Hogg really is back up 10 then I'd expect him to get an opportunity to take kicks in one of the tour games. Everyone seems to be getting the opportunity. Ultimately though I do agree that best kicker should kick.

I dunno. It'd be pretty unlucky for the Lions to have both Halfpenny & Sexton leave the field during a game. The Reds is probably the toughest of the non-test games the Lions will have, so they don't want to be leaving points on the field, just to give Hogg a shot at goalkicking. Farrell strikes me as a confidence player, and slotting a few early penalties would help him I reckon.

Tox56 wrote: »
    In general absolutely, but in a tour like this you have to give all the kickers a decent amount of live game kicking practice. If Halfpenny doesn't make the first test Sexton becomes your front line kicker, he'll need a fair amount of preparation. Given that Sexton and Halfpenny look like they'll be starting most of their warm-up games together you need to find some time for Sexton, Hogg is probably too far down the pecking order to be relevant though

Oh no! Not the HP might not make the first test thing again. Unless he gets injured he will be in the starting XV. And if he does get injured Sexton will be 1 goalkicker, and Farrell on the bench the other. I don't see Hogg needing to kick at goal at all.

It's pretty obvious there's an indelible link between the outhalf position and goal kicking in the minds of some posters (and Irish rugby supporters in general).

1/2p is obviously going to kick in the tests unless he has a collapse in form, unreal against the Force.

• Advertisement

Oh no! Not the HP might not make the first test thing again. Unless he gets injured he will be in the starting XV. And if he does get injured Sexton will be 1 goalkicker, and Farrell on the bench the other. I don't see Hogg needing to kick at goal at all.

I was talking injury and assuming both Sexton and Halfpenny are nailed on in their respective positions

It's pretty obvious there's an indelible link between the outhalf position and goal kicking in the minds of some posters (and Irish rugby supporters in general).

1/2p is obviously going to kick in the tests unless he has a collapse in form, unreal against the Force.

Totally agree. It's quite possible HP could be the difference between the 2 sides. Australia do not have any goalkickers in his class. JOC is a 70-80% man I would think, ditto for Beale, Lealiifano, maybe Berrick Barnes is a tad better.

What do you mean "in a tour like this"? Take a country playing in the 6N, their first choice kicker is going to do all the kicking as long as he's on the field, you don't pass around the kicking in case your first choice gets injured. The Lions tour gives more people a chance to kick by it's nature, as not everyone starts every game.

What do you mean "in a tour like this"? Take a country playing in the 6N, their first choice kicker is going to do all the kicking as long as he's on the field, you don't pass around the kicking in case your first choice gets injured. The Lions tour gives more people a chance to kick by it's nature, as not everyone starts every game.

6 Nations = 5 tests, Lions tour = 3 tests and several warm-up games to prepare for those 3 tests, and preparing the kickers is included in that. If we had warm-up games leading into the Six Nations I would certainly expect the 2nd maybe even 3rd choice kickers to get some practice even if the 1st choice kicker is in the team.

6 Nations = 5 tests, Lions tour = 3 tests and several warm-up games to prepare for those 3 tests, and preparing the kickers is included in that. If we had warm-up games leading into the Six Nations I would certainly expect the 2nd maybe even 3rd choice kickers to get some practice even if the 1st choice kicker is in the team.

I can't ever recall teams rotating the goalkicking to give all the kickers a go. That's what the training paddock is for. If anything it's a tad arrogant. Would look mighty silly if the Reds take down the Lions, and Hogg misses a few critical shots at goal, while Farrell (or Sexton if he comes on) are twiddling their thumbs.

OK, maybe the game against NSW countries or whatever it is, which should be a complete and utter thrashing might be a chance for Hogg to be the kicker.

Out of interest, because certainly I dont ever recall the ABs doing it, can you remember Ireland rotating goalkickers to give everyone a go?

I can't ever recall teams rotating the goalkicking to give all the kickers a go. That's what the training paddock is for. If anything it's a tad arrogant. Would look mighty silly if the Reds take down the Lions, and Hogg misses a few critical shots at goal, while Farrell (or Sexton if he comes on) are twiddling their thumbs.

OK, maybe the game against NSW countries or whatever it is, which should be a complete and utter thrashing might be a chance for Hogg to be the kicker.

Out of interest, because certainly I dont ever recall the ABs doing it, can you remember Ireland rotating goalkickers to give everyone a go?

Should emphasise here I think Hogg is too far down the pecking order to be relevant, I agree maybe the countries game but otherwise no. I was more going down the route that if Halfpenny and Sexton are always starting together and Sexton has only had bit parts kicking he should be given go, who knows if Farrell goes down early and Sexton kicks most of the game tomorrow it won't be an issue. It's not exactly arrogant to give a regular international kicker the kicking duties!

Even at that you're a world away from the pressure situation of a Lions test.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Does Hogg even kick for Glasgow? Because I've seen them lose games this season based on poor kicking, and I'm pretty sure it was because they had no one else to step up.

Should emphasise here I think Hogg is too far down the pecking order to be relevant, I agree maybe the countries game but otherwise no. I was more going down the route that if Halfpenny and Sexton are always starting together and Sexton has only had bit parts kicking he should be given go, who knows if Farrell goes down early and Sexton kicks most of the game tomorrow it won't be an issue. It's not exactly arrogant to give a regular international kicker the kicking duties!

I can agree on Sexton, I guess. The logical thing is for HP to start the kicking, and then sub him off at some stage to give Hogg or Kearney (is Kearney going to play on this tour?) a run and Sexton could kick then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Oh no! Not the HP might not make the first test thing again. Unless he gets injured he will be in the starting XV.

Honest question now. Did you see the Force game and if so, what did you think of Halfpenny (without referring to his goal kicking)?

Advertisement