Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is the NEXT warm spell due to Grace us again

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭enigmatical

Jean is my favourite of the RTE ladies, even if the forecast is ****e she wears something amusing to make up for it.

Jean Byrne's not an RTE presenter, she's a Met Eireann meteorologist.

AFAIK, there are four (or is it 5?) Met Eireann presenter/meteorologists on TV.

It was ridiculously wet in Cork today.
    Hopefully we get a bit of a return to stability soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Jean Byrne's not an RTE presenter, she's a Met Eireann meteorologist.

AFAIK, there are four (or is it 5?) Met Eireann presenter/meteorologists on TV.

It was ridiculously wet in Cork today.
    Hopefully we get a bit of a return to stability soon!

Let me see now - metorologists from met eireann on TV

Theres Gerry the rainman Murphy, Evelyn Cusack, Siobhan Ryan, Jean Byrne - can't think of anymore - so yeah - I make it 4 - have I missed anyone. Haven't seen Gerald Fleming in a long while - last time I saw him on TV was last year when the lovely Ms O Callaghan had himself, Audrey and Nuala Carey on talking about the whole weather forecast thing.

And yes - the rain was ridiculous today in Cork - well in North Cork anyway :mad:. Dried up a bit now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tuesday/Wednesday could be okay, with some easterly air action.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Seems by the latest forecasts summer is in full swing now!

snaps wrote: »
    Seems by the latest forecasts summer is in full swing now!

Do you mean a typical crap Irish summer - or do you see potential for better weather??.

Seeing GFS charts this morning - I see some potential for better weather - in that it looks to me that theres a building of high pressure over the atlantic.

Unfortunately - to me - but im new to all this - so could be way off the mark - it looks like an easterly to north easterly type influence could spoil play.

But high pressure seems to be showing west of Ireland - so if we strike lucky on the wind direction then who knows.

Could be way off the mark though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Monday and Tuesday will be 20 degrees in Shannon, Co. Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Old diesel wrote: »
    Do you mean a typical crap Irish summer - or do you see potential for better weather??.

Seeing GFS charts this morning - I see some potential for better weather - in that it looks to me that theres a building of high pressure over the atlantic.

Unfortunately - to me - but im new to all this - so could be way off the mark - it looks like an easterly to north easterly type influence could spoil play.

But high pressure seems to be showing west of Ireland - so if we strike lucky on the wind direction then who knows.

An east wind with high pressure would be beautiful compared to what we usually get. Granted it may be cooler on the coast but it would generally be lovely. :)

John.Icy wrote: »
    An east wind with high pressure would be beautiful compared to what we usually get. Granted it may be cooler on the coast but it would generally be lovely. :)

I agree - but the problem is that if I was reading the charts correctly - they were showing an easterly with low pressure - there appeared to me to be high pressure waiting to come in from the Atlantic - but lower pressure coming from the east preventing the high coming in off the Atlantic.

My apologies - im not sure if im interpretating the charts correctly - but anything with high pressure - east or west - coming our way is a fine thing.

Old diesel wrote: »

sorry was being sarcastic. Rain, rain and more rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

mike65 wrote: »
    The met error website needs updating then!

Why the insult to met eireann.

Even a school kid who has done primary school geography will know that the weather in Ireland is one of the most unpredictable in the world.

Today is a classic example
    Last night the rain was to fall primarily in kerry and lighten as it moved a little north east.

This morning it was changed to lightish rain in most parts of southern half of country.
    By midday there was a heavy rain warning for cork and kerry.

Even mt's forecast from 7am was quite wrong - that's irish weather for you. Totally unpredictable even in the immediate 6 hour time frame at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

[-0-] wrote: »
    Monday and Tuesday will be 20 degrees in Shannon, Co. Clare.

Lol I won't hold my bets on that one, are you home for a few days

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Sky news saying tropical heatwave again for the South-East of the Uk, temps could reach 32C according to them, earlier on today bbc were putting highs of 19-21C throughout the week. For the majority of us here in Ireland I think 15-19C will be what we'll get this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

High 20's in northern Scandanavia while we have temps barely touching 16C, normal service well and truly resumed...

gfs-9-162_tnj6.png

Harps wrote: »
    High 20's in northern Scandanavia while we have temps barely touching 16C, normal service well and truly resumed...

gfs-9-162_tnj6.png

Some nice pressures on the 00 Z GFS this morning for next week - anything of 1020 or more is a nice chart to me.

Less chance of wet stuff when you get into higher pressures

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Looking better. Still 200+ hours

13062618_1706.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Harps wrote: »

gfs-9-162_tnj6.png

In fairness that chart shows that we're certainly not the only part of Europe experiencing cool conditions. Also, the next few days should see temps nudge past 20 degress or so in many place. So cheer up! :)

Didn't see RTE at 9.30 but the BBC forecast suggests the Thursday rain as predicted by Met Error for the east won't happen. Still we'll see. All ends Friday in any event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Didn't see RTE at 9.30 but the BBC forecast suggests the Thursday rain as predicted by Met Error for the east won't happen. Still we'll see. All ends Friday in any event.

This is starting to get a bit tiresome Mike. Yes, they make mistakes but the majority of the time they are correct in their forecasts. No need to bash them whenever they get it wrong.

Nice morning here in Sligo. It has the makings of a warm day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Lovely sunny morning with temps already at 18C. Just on the southern boundary of that high cloud, hopefully it will dissipate as the day goes on. ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

patneve2 wrote: »
    Lovely sunny morning with temps already at 18C. Just on the southern boundary of that high cloud, hopefully it will dissipate as the day goes on. ;)

Ditto...just reached 18c here too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Anyone know what Friday has in store for the N. Louth/ S. Down area please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Charts for next week are looking more and more promising with each run. After that nasty little weekend depression clears there's very good indications of a build of high pressure for next week, which could mean another decent round of warm weather incoming, or even hot weather!!

dopolahpec wrote: »
    Charts for next week are looking more and more promising with each run. After that nasty little weekend depression clears there's very good indications of a build of high pressure for next week, which could mean another decent round of warm weather incoming, or even hot weather!!

how does the south east UK look for then? Off on our holidays from mid next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

snaps wrote: »
    how does the south east UK look for then? Off on our holidays from mid next week
    It looks good there too, likely be hot if it's warm in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Wet and very windy weather for Saturday and becoming cooler over the weekend according to ME on the news now. Summer gone in Holiday ???

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

RTE are right, it's gonna be a cool and unsettled weekend, temps low to mid teens, similar next week maybe a bit milder. Even the south-east UK wont be much higher than high teens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

ECM wants the Azores high to nudge right over us from early next week and is the pick of the models at the moment. GFS wants to follow suit and does for while before bringing deep low pressure back in about 10 days. If ECM verifies, it would be a nice week ahead after an unsettled weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Keith96

Very nice day today in Crumlin,got up to 20.3C and got some lovely sunshine.The charts seem to be hinting at drier weather next week after the unsettled weather we are suppose to be getting over the next four days.

RTE radio mentioning the Donegal postman in the paper review this morning. Embarrassing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

RTE radio mentioning the Donegal postman in the paper review this morning. Embarrassing.

Yes he was quoted in the independent as well.

Its about half way through the summer, we have had a couple of decent spells, we will probably get another decent spell or 2, its being half hinted for next week anyway in other peoples forecasts.

And he comes out with this gem in the indo

"I'm not saying we'll have a heatwave, but we'll have a super summer."

What kind of a genius prediction is that?

Advertisement