Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get outta my lane.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Why?
    Worse milage, higher insurance premiums, higher cost of ownership, higher risk of theft, more scrutiny from the Gardai... and that's just the first things that come to mind.
    Its far safer for overtaking on normal roads
    Safety's important? Don't overtake, that's safer still.
    can overtake in gaps other cars couldn't so less time stuck behind people
    So safety's not important? Then buy a motorbike!
    far better brakes so can stop quicker so Im safer in it
    Wait, we're back to safety being important? Come on Rik Mr.B'stard, that's not very consistent.
    can corner better and faster than other normal cars
    Need that on the M50 a lot? If so, buy a motorbike! (After all, you can never have enough available organs for transplant :P )
    it also (believe it or not) doesn't have a speed limiter so it can exceed 120km/h with ease
    ...just not legally. Anywhere. At any time. For any reason.
    boring cars on the road.
    I like boring. Boring is great when you're talking about cars on the road. Exciting tends to involve loud noises and rapidly changing and rotating views and phone calls that start with "Honey, the good news is, we know the airbags work!"

So yeah, I'll skip exciting on the road, thanks. I mean, exciting is what sex is for, not cars.

SeanW wrote: »
    Not an excuse for driving slower in the right lane than traffic in more leftward lanes. Either you're going faster than traffic to your left, or you are not. No ifs ands or buts about it.
    There's no ifs ands or buts, however there are scenarios -- like the one explicitly pointed out -- where what you just said is flat out wrong.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

But won't that interfere with the RFID chip they put in my head :confused:
    No because the device would be like an smartphone with no battery or screen, but still having camera , accelerometer and 3G connection. So it could email the video of the offending act to you. Bonus points if it then films you answering that email on your phone while driving.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

degsie wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me but I'd consider that to be aggressive driving! You are going out of your way to make a point by crossing 1 or 2 lanes and then encouraging the driver in the rightmost lane to move across 1 or 2 lanes so you can overtake and then move back to the leftmost lane by crossing 1 or 2 lanes. All seems a bit pointless to me.
    Or you could risk getting points by undertaking which is illegal .

usually when I'm doing this to someone driving at 10Km/h under the speed limit I do it a lane at a time, including cancelling the indicator in between.

Sparks wrote: »
    Worse milage, higher insurance premiums, higher cost of ownership, higher risk of theft, more scrutiny from the Gardai... and that's just the first things that come to mind.

Yes to burning more petrol (well worth it for being able to blast passed people trying to act as rolling road blocks). I do find it hard to believe but no there is very little difference in insurance if any, owner ship costs are pretty average compared to any car. You can't live your life in fear of thiefs and I've had absolutely no attention from gardai bar being waved through 2 or 3 checkpoints in a year and a half of ownership.
    Safety's important? Don't overtake, that's safer still.

Safety is important, but being able to make progress, overtake etc while sacrificing almost no safety is even better.
    So safety's not important? Then buy a motorbike!

Bikes are of no interest to me.
    Wait, we're back to safety being important? Come on Rik Mr.B'stard, that's not very consistent.

Honestly who the hell is Rik?
    Need that on the M50 a lot? If so, buy a motorbike! (After all, you can never have enough available organs for transplant :P )

I drive on the M50 about once a year if even, I don't live anywhere near dublin. My driving consists of a mix of N roads, back roads motorways and some city driving.
    ...just not legally. Anywhere. At any time. For any reason.

Not bothered about it being legal or not.
    I like boring. Boring is great when you're talking about cars on the road. Exciting tends to involve loud noises and rapidly changing and rotating views and phone calls that start with "Honey, the good news is, we know the airbags work!"

So yeah, I'll skip exciting on the road, thanks. I mean, exciting is what sex is for, not cars.

For a lot of people cars are exciting and are a real passion and exciting is most definitely for cars. You will also find its the boring cars that tend to have their airbags deployed much more often than the exciting ones as for one they are not as capable on the road and two their drivers (often due to a lack of interest) are not as competent on the road.

It that whole post you made one point that wasn't absolute nonsense, the one about fuel consumption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

I understand why people have a problem with others speeding but I don't understand how they can defend disobeying the rules of the road just because others are possibly breaking the speed limit.

For people who have a problem with a car going faster than them (possibly speeding) in lane 2/3 why not just briefly speed up a little to complete your overtaking manoeuvre (assuming that's what you're doing) and move back out of the lane.

If briefly speeding up is something that a driver is genuinely not comfortable with, rather than just being stubborn, so be it, carry on as you were until is safe to move back to lane 1.

I'm getting the impression you have a chip on your shoulder regarding certain cars...and possibly motorbikes. :p

I'm getting the impression you have a chip on your shoulder regarding certain cars
    I certainly have a chip on my shoulder for that f*cker who keeps driving up my tailpipe while we're doing the limit in lane 2 and flashing his lights while on his mobile and lane 3 is open...
    ...and possibly motorbikes. :p
    Just wouldn't get on one if you paid me to :D

It's more the Alan B'stard posters above who're cracking me up. I mean lads, if you're so utterly unconcerned with obeying the law regarding speed limits but expect everyone else to obey the law regarding keeping left; well, you and the horse you rode in on, sunshine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

Or you could risk getting points by undertaking which is illegal .

usually when I'm doing this to someone driving at 10Km/h under the speed limit I do it a lane at a time, including cancelling the indicator in between.

Undertaking Overtaking on the left is not illegal when the traffic in the lefthand lane is moving faster

From RSA website:

You may overtake on the left when

You want to go straight ahead when the driver in front of you has moved out and signalled that they intend to turn right.

You have signalled that you intend to turn left.

Traffic in both lanes is moving slowly and traffic in the left-hand lane is moving more quickly than the traffic in the right-hand lane.

Cungi wrote: »
    Traffic in both lanes is moving slowly and traffic in the left-hand lane is moving more quickly than the traffic in the right-hand lane.
    Yeah, but is that slowly relative to jet aircraft?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

We have the rules and laws. Education and enforcement are needed. And they are a lot cheaper than building a third lane.

This is the only answer. I think the new learner system will go a long way to fix the education issue, enforcement is the biggest issue that needs to be dealt with. So long as you are not speeding anything else seems to be ok.
    If every time someone passed a camera on the 50 with an empty lane to the left there was a €50 reminder to keep left in the post people would soon cop on to the rules of the road.
    Same for roundabouts, junction boxes, amber lights etc. Driving would be so much more pleasant, we would all get where we are going quicker and once everyone was playing by the same rules the speed limits on motorways could be increased, or dare I say done away with altogether like our German overlords.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

RustyNut wrote: »
    If every time someone passed a camera on the 50 with an empty lane to the left there was a €50 reminder to keep left in the post people would soon cop on to the rules of the road.

Ha ha, brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

I certainly have a chip on my shoulder for that f*cker who keeps driving up my tailpipe while we're doing the limit in lane 2 and flashing his lights while on his mobile and lane 3 is open...

It's more the Alan B'stard posters above who're cracking me up. I mean lads, if you're so utterly unconcerned with obeying the law regarding speed limits but expect everyone else to obey the law regarding keeping left; well, you and the horse you rode in on, sunshine...

Well I understand where you're coming from, there's no need for aggressive behaviour. I personally never really flash anyone under those circumstances as, even if it's not meant aggressively, chances are, it will only succeed it getting someone's back up.

And there is a lot of justifying disobeying one rule because others are disobeying another in this thread. But it goes both ways.

But a lane hogger who's not overtaking is always in the wrong. Even if they are doing the speed limit. The person who gets stuck behind them is only in the wrong if they are speeding. It is possible and so, so common that someone sits in lane 2/3 while not overtaking and not doing the speed limit. I've even seen people merge onto an almost empty M50 and veer straight over to lane 3 and just sit there while I'm travelling faster than them (no faster than the limit) in lane 1. This is inexcusable and people are just going slightly off topic by bringing up arguments that people shouldn't be speeding.
    Just wouldn't get on one if you paid me to :D

Hey, don't knock it 'till you've tried it. But that's a topic for another forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,635 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

And here, I was under the impression, that rules of the road is saying, that you have to stick to the speed limited  Ok I guess I was wrong, it is a little like traffic lights, only a recommendation.
    And yes I know, every other driver on the road is a asshole, and it is perfectly ok to go 150 on the motorway, or any other road.
    The fact is, that speed limited is there and they have to be followed, and if you don’t like that, well then get in contact with the TD’s and local politician, and get them to change the rules of the road and speed limited, but until that happened. The speed limited is what it is
    Drive safely out there.
    This is not about speeding, it's about drivers failing to move to the left as they are required to do by the rules of the road.
    It's about drivers who never break the speed limit but insist on staying in lane 2 or 3 or 4 (refered to in this thread as the overtaking lanes) rather then moving back to lane 1 as soon as it is safe to do so...as required by the rules of the road.

Gotham wrote: »
    I disagree, it's happened me a few times, although I didn't have the misfortune of having impatient people behind me.
    Indicate to show your intent to move back to lane 1 and drivers there will make a gap for you.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

I generally always drive in and around the speed limit, if someone wants to get past me, i just pull over and let them past. Dont really see the need to be a twat by hogging a lane. I let the Guards police the roads, all im interested in is getting to my destination in one piece. Id rather go about my buiness in peace without some muppet driving up my ass because he wants to get past.

Cungi wrote: »
    Undertaking Overtaking on the left is not illegal when the traffic in the lefthand lane is moving faster
    we're talking about people hogging the middle lane on motorways / dual carriageways

so in most cases there is no right turn because of the meridian
    10km/h below the speed limit cannot be considered slow
    anyone turning left has already moved into the deceleration lane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

we're talking about people hogging the middle lane on motorways / dual carriageways

I was just referring to your comment that overtaking on the left is illegal.
    In some circumstances it isnt, even on a motorway according to RSA.

I agree that 10km/h below the speed limit probably wouldn't be considered slow but i guess it all depends on what the Gard or Judge considers slow after he/she pulls you over. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

Likewise doing 10km/h (6mph) above the speed limit can hardly be described as speeding :)

Are there any hard and fast rules about not speeding up in the acceleration lane to match the mainline speed whilst merging?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

SeanW wrote: »
    Not an excuse for driving slower in the right lane than traffic in more leftward lanes. Either you're going faster than traffic to your left, or you are not. No ifs ands or buts about it.

Then there really is no point to having 3 lanes on the m50, the third lane will never get used since everyone in the middle is always at 100km and you cant be breaking the speed limit in lane 3.

Owenw wrote: »
    Likewise doing 10km/h (6mph) above the speed limit can hardly be described as speeding :)

Are there any hard and fast rules about not speeding up in the acceleration lane to match the mainline speed whilst merging?
    That word "limit" I don't think it means what you think it means.

Oddly enough it was around this time last year I had to pay a €100 fine for hogging the middle lane. And the worst bit was they wouldn't let me renew my membership at that swimming pool.

• Advertisement

Owenw wrote: »
    The rule is you must yield to traffic already in the lane you are entering and that if they don't let you merge then you must stop and wait for a gap.

IIRC in some parts of the US of A you can exceed the speed limit when overtaking as long as you don't do it for more than 1/4 mile. Then again they hand out guns to teenagers and ban kinder eggs.

Gotham wrote: »
    Then there really is no point to having 3 lanes on the m50, the third lane will never get used since everyone in the middle is always at 100km and you cant be breaking the speed limit in lane 3.
    Have you been on the N7 southbound ?

The leftmost lane is barely used.

In the UK on busy motorways it's usually the left most lane for HGV's and buses, the middle lane for cars travelling at the limit +/- 5mph and the right lane for people overtaking and ducking in before the speeders catch up

In the UK emergency service vehicles don't travel in the rightmost lane because they aren't allowed speed - there is no point in creating an emergency on the way to one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭opti0nal

If they persist in making a nuisance and a danger of themselves to me and other road users then there is no option left but to undertake thus they are causing even more danger by their poor driving.
    No option?

How about: wait until it is possible to overtake legally and safely?

Just because some else is driving inconsiderately does not give you license to drive illegally and unsafely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

That word "limit" I don't think it means what you think it means.

It's a guideline not a target, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,898 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I mean lads, if you're so utterly unconcerned with obeying the law regarding speed limits but expect everyone else to obey the law regarding keeping left; well, you and the horse you rode in on, sunshine...
    Keep yourself legal and stay in the left lane if not overtaking somebody, and let everyone else worry about keeping themselves legal. If you're driving legally as to the ROTR then it has no bearing on you what speed others are driving

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

In the UK on busy motorways it's usually the left most lane for HGV's and buses, the middle lane for cars travelling at the limit +/- 5mph and the right lane for people overtaking and ducking in before the speeders catch up

Definitely not my experience from six years of living in England and driving on British motorways, plus frequent trips over the years since I lived there.

Any three (or more) lane road I ever drove on in Britain was used pretty much as it should be - left lane general driving for everyone and two overtaking lanes - same as it should be here, regardless of how busy a road is.

In Ireland there is just a general willful ignorance of how to do things properly. Driving correctly seems to be a sign of weakness, whether it's lane usage, indicating, merging or pretty much anything else where there are written laws/procedures in place.

I have driven from Bray to Swords on a Sunday morning and seen not a single car in lane one, other than myself. I started counting cars sitting one behind the other in the middle lane but gave up in the mid 30s. Regardless of how busy a road is at any given time, people here just do not know how to drive because doing things properly is not important to the vast majority.

I've even asked a few friends why they sit in the middle lane on the M50 N7 etc just to see what they said. Most of them pull a face as if I've just taken a dump in the glove compartment, as if to say "why the hell would anyone do that". Driving in lane one is just not what people do here. I've seen people fight to join a crowded lane 2 when lane 1 is empty. Some people say they get nowhere in lane 1 so head for lane 2 if they want a relaxed drive or lane 3 of they're in a hurry... bizarre. I drive the M50 from Swords to the N4, N7 or M11 three or four times a week, depending on where I'm working and without fail, every morning if I see someone join at Ballymun or Finglas and take off in the outside lane, I will be ahead of them in lane 1 around Blanch and out of sight by Lucan as the outside lane moves a lot slower.

Really don't know what it is whether some blokes feel emasculated by driving in the "slow lane". Same with indicating... does it somehow make you a complete wuss if you indicate before changing lane and leave it on until the manoevre is completed? The norm seems to be half a flash once you've moved into a lane. Meh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

^^^^
    What he said. It's true if we were to be honest about it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

General question :

I learned in Germany that undertaking is when one car pulls out of the overtaking lane into a lane to its right (or left, in Ireland), passes another car and then pulls back into the original lane. In short, a complete overtaking maneuver, just mirrored.

Driving past someone, however, in whichever lane you choose, is not classified as undertaking as such, since you do not move back into the other lane in front of the car you just passed.

Would anyone know if there is a similar distinction in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

Shenshen wrote: »
    General question :

I learned in Germany that undertaking is when one car pulls out of the overtaking lane into a lane to its right (or left, in Ireland), passes another car and then pulls back into the original lane. In short, a complete overtaking maneuver, just mirrored.

Driving past someone, however, in whichever lane you choose, is not classified as undertaking as such, since you do not move back into the other lane in front of the car you just passed.

Would anyone know if there is a similar distinction in Ireland?
    The undertaking that is illegal is when you pull into the hard shoulder and overtake in it.

The undertaking you described is legal I think but not really done,unless the overtaking lane is being hogged. If the left lane is going faster thank the right lane you can overtake in it. It's one of 3 reasons you can overtake in the left lane on any road that is acceptable answer in the Irish driving test anyway. If your following the ROR there should be no reason to pull out infront of the other car unless your overtaking a car in the left lane.

• Advertisement

Re Hard Shoulder

In Ireland if the hard shoulder has a dashed line you are encouraged to move into it to let people overtake you if it's safe to do so.

Obviously this doesn't apply on motorways because of the continuous line.

Again because people prefer to hog the middle of the road you have crazy situtions where it's impossible to pass someone on our N roads even though there may be two lanes worth of driveable road on their left :mad:

Advertisement