Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get outta my lane.

Options
  • 05-06-2013 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,634 ✭✭✭✭

Now this makes sense to me. The excuse of "Sure I'm not breaking the law" won't work anymore. Hopefully this idea gets carried out here too. A few fines handed out might persuade more people to get back out of the overtaking lanes.
    (UK)Drivers who hog motorway middle lanes, tailgate or cut up other cars will face £100 roadside fines and three penalty points under plans to be announced today.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/crime/article3782978.ece

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

In before mention of Slow/Fast lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It can't happen quick enough here, I find myself undertaking as much as overtaking these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,261 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

OldGoat wrote: »
    Now this makes sense to me. The excuse of "Sure I'm not breaking the law" won't work anymore. Hopefully this idea gets carried out here too. A few fines handed out might persuade more people to get back out of the overtaking lanes.

Does this include people who stick to the speed limits?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

especially those people!

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

Keep to the speed limit in the most left lane. Nothing worse than someone in the overtaking lane with nobody else in front of them sticking to the speed limit. Move over and let others pass by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Best to just stick to the middle lane "just in case"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

OldGoat wrote: »

No such thing as 'overtaking lanes'

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

It includes points on the licence not just a fine

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Yessss! They should bring that in here

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I bet those silly British police will actually enforce it too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

I always drive the speed limit in the fast lane, I don't see the need to pull into the slow lane even if there are no cars there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

degsie wrote: »
    No such thing as 'overtaking lanes'

there ARE in fact overtaking lanes :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

neonman wrote: »
    Keep to the speed limit in the most left lane. Nothing worse than someone in the overtaking lane with nobody else in front of them sticking to the speed limit. Move over and let others pass by.

I don't even know where to start with a comment that stupid.

Gmol wrote: »
    I always drive the speed limit in the fast lane, I don't see the need to pull into the slow lane even if there are no cars there

because youre in the over taking lane ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Gmol wrote: »

Spot the troll...

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Spot the troll...

1/10 tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

It can't happen quick enough here, I find myself undertaking as much as overtaking these days.

Well undertaking is against the rules of the road and people who drive the speed limit are well within their rights to do so as they are not going to be breaking any law. Undertaking and speeding is a fast way to a fine and points on your license.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

In January, I spent a few days driving around both the towns and motorways in Italy. For a country who have such a bad reputation regarding road safety and general manners, their driving etiquette is something to be admired.

Nobody stays in the fast lane for a second longer than is necessary. Everybody in the slow lane (trucks, grannies, the whole lot) make room for any car that is merging from a slip road onto the motorway. These two things are extremely rare on Irish motorways and need to be addressed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

These two things are extremely rare on Irish motorways and need to be addressed.

Fast and slow lanes? Yes, we don't have those

• Registered Users Posts: 17,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

jjbrien wrote: »
    Well undertaking is against the rules of the road and people who drive the speed limit are well within their rights to do so as they are not going to be breaking any law. Undertaking and speeding is a fast way to a fine and points on your license.

The undertaking rule is flawed to begin with. In its simplest form, somebody could be a dick and drive at 50kph in the fast lane, forcing everything behind them to crawl behind them. Undertaking here is necessary.

• Advertisement

as long as they are not in the overtaking lane ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The undertaking rule is flawed to begin with. In its simplest form, somebody could be a dick and drive at 50kph in the fast lane, forcing everything behind them to crawl behind them. Undertaking here is necessary.

Oh, I so want to agree with you. But you said 'fast lane', and therefore can't be taken seriously. I'll put the good point you appeared to make down to a fluke!

;)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

To the Mercedes C200 driver hogging the overtaking lane (@ 100km/h) straight away after entering onto the M1 yesterday... Fcuk you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

IM0 wrote: »
    1/10 tbh

See them every single day without fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Well i agree if there is nobody in the left lane going slower than them then they should be in that lane. Ireland has a real issue with bad driving in general and there is not enough traffic guards on the road to enforce the law even if this new law was to come in. Now if you were to head to Liverpool and go on the M62 you will see a lot of police on enforcing the law on the roads over there

well they will be forcing countless drivers behind them to undertake them. which is better one road nazzi who thinks he/she is a cop or in doing so forcing countless cars to undertake them unsafely

its not their job to police the roads just follow the rules, get out of the overtaking lane. at the same time though speed limits shouldnt be taken the piss out of. the lane is there to overtake on, and to do this safely you need to be able to judge how fast something is coming up your outside so you can safely overtake the car in front of you [which is the whole reason for it being an over taking lane, its not a fast lane, and if youre going to use it like one, dont take the piss with the speed limit]

• Registered Users Posts: 33,261 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

neonman wrote: »

Ok, not a driver here, but doesn't the speed limit apply to all lanes or am I missing something?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Ok, not a driver here, but doesn't the speed limit apply to all lanes or am I missing something?

Yes but that's irrelevant as the overtaking lane is for "overtaking" not for continous driving. Do the speed limit in either of the other two lanes (depending on road) and you won't have people undertaking dangerously. It is not up to you to police the roads if someone wants to go faster than the speed limit.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,634 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Wrong. From the rules of the road...
    You must progress at a speed and in a way that avoids interference with other motorway traffic.
    Overtake only on the right, unless traffic is travelling in slow moving queues and the traffic queue on your right is travelling more slowly than you are.

Causing a bottleneck on the motorway is more likely to cause an accident then allowing speeding drivers past you. You are NOT an enforcement officer and you ARE breaking the rules of the road if you persist in driving in the outside lane(s) rather then using the "keep left" rule.
    Lane 1
    The normal 'keep left' rule applies. Stay in this lane unless you are overtaking.

Lane 2
    On a two-lane motorway, use this for overtaking only and move back into lane 1 when you have finished. You may also use this lane to accommodate traffic merging from the left.
    On a three-lane motorway, you may stay in this centre lane while there is slower moving traffic in lane 1.

Lane 3
    If you are travelling on a three-lane motorway, you must use this lane only if traffic in lanes 1 and 2 is moving in queues and you need to overtake or accommodate merging traffic. Once you've finished overtaking, move back to your left and allow faster traffic coming from behind to pass by.

Well i agree if there is nobody in the left lane going slower than them then they should be in that lane.
    Yep, agreed. The sticking point is however that drivers in the overtaking lanes think that a gap of half a mile* is still too small for them to move back into and insist on keeping to the overtaking lanes till they pass 'the next car'. Then they see another car half a mile ahead and stay out in the overtaking lane till they get past it.

*exagerated for emphasis.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Are you entitled to break the speed limit if you're overtaking or in the right lane?

Genuine question, it seems redundant to me to overtake someone who's driving at the limit only to have to revert to the limit after overtaking. I also don't see the point in enforcing a speed limit if you can bypass it by simply driving in a different lane.

Essentially if someone is driving at the limit they may be in the wrong to be in the overtaking lane but, from what I understand, they can only inconvenience you if you are going to break the rules of the road.

Which is a retarded argument. "Stop breaking the rules of the road, I wanna break them!".

Open to correction and clarification.

Advertisement