Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get outta my lane.

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

A car travelling along in lane 1, in essence sticking to the rules of road, passing slower moving cars that are in outer lanes, irrespective of how heavy or light the traffic situation is, I would NOT consider this undertaking.
    The car that deliberatly changes to an inner lane or hard shoulder to pass a slower moving car I would consider this to be called undertaking. There is a clear difference between the two.
    Yesterday I travelled from the N7 Madcow interchange to the M1 interchange. Average speed was 90 - 100 kmh. Most of that journey was in lane 1.
    Lane 2 and 3 had a carnival of Buses, HGV, Taxis etc, but best of all, I passed 2 RSA approved driving instructors sitting in lane 2 with plenty of space to move into lane 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Shenshen wrote: »
    General question :

I learned in Germany that undertaking is when one car pulls out of the overtaking lane into a lane to its right (or left, in Ireland), passes another car and then pulls back into the original lane. In short, a complete overtaking maneuver, just mirrored.

Driving past someone, however, in whichever lane you choose, is not classified as undertaking as such, since you do not move back into the other lane in front of the car you just passed.

Would anyone know if there is a similar distinction in Ireland?

Undertaking does not exist in Irish law. The law makes reference to "passing on the left."

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1964/en/si/0294.html#zzsi294y1964a19
    Overtaking

(3) A driver shall overtake on the right and shall not move in towards the left until it is safe to do so.

(4) Notwithstanding paragraph (3) of this bye-law, a driver may overtake on the left—

(a) where the driver of the vehicle about to be overtaken has signalled his intention to turn to the right and the driver of the overtaking vehicle intends, after having overtaken, to go straight ahead or to turn to the left,

(b) where the driver of the overtaking vehicle intends, after having overtaken, to turn left at a road junction and has signalled this intention,

(c) in slow-moving traffic, when vehicles in the traffic lane on the driver's right are moving more slowly than the overtaking vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

I just realised many of these folks in AH actually drive. Terrifying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

Reindeer wrote: »
    I just realised many of these folks in AH actually drive. Terrifying.

Terrifying but hardly surprising when you see the willful ignorance and stupidity on our roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

And here, I was under the impression, that rules of the road is saying, that you have to stick to the speed limited  Ok I guess I was wrong, it is a little like traffic lights, only a recommendation.
    And yes I know, every other driver on the road is a asshole, and it is perfectly ok to go 150 on the motorway, or any other road.
    The fact is, that speed limited is there and they have to be followed, and if you don’t like that, well then get in contact with the TD’s and local politician, and get them to change the rules of the road and speed limited, but until that happened. The speed limited is what it is
    Drive safely out there.

I drive on the motorway, I drive with cruise control set at 115 to 120kph, I come across drivers in the overtaking lane that I have to break for, I'm in the left most lane, but if I did not break I would undertake and therefore commit an offence. So what am I supposed todo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

I drive on the motorway, I drive with cruise control set at 115 to 120kph, I come across drivers in the overtaking lane that I have to break for, I'm in the left most lane, but if I did not break I would undertake and therefore commit an offence. So what am I supposed todo.

Some people here suggest that you move over to the lane where the other driver is, sit behind him/her until he/she moves out of the lane, then after you overtake you return to the normal driving (leftmost) lane. Best of luck with that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭opti0nal

HurtLocker wrote: »
    If the left lane is going faster thank the right lane you can overtake in it.
    Only in slow-moving traffic. The RoTR says 'slow-moving' traffic, not 'slower moving traffic'. It's intended to cover situations that occur in traffic queues.
    In Ireland if the hard shoulder has a dashed line you are encouraged to move into it to let people overtake you if it's safe to do so.
    Only if you pull over and stop. Driving on the hard shoulder is illegal. The advice in the RoTR was intended for slow-moving agricultural vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

blackwhite wrote: »
    Undertaking does not exist in Irish law.

Undertaking should only be practised on dead bodies by qualified undertakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Undertaking (not recommended) = moving from the outsided lane into the inside lane, (in order to pass the slower moving traffic) which is occupying the outer lane. I guess we haven't had motorways here for very long, so I guess many drivers are still grappling with how to conduct themselves Vis-à-vis which lane to drive in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Part of the problem, on the M50 at least, is the speed limit is too low outside of peak hours. Cars that would usually cruise at 100kph still do but the drivers who would do 120kph are reduced to ~100kph. End result is that cars end up driving closer to each other for longer.

I'd much rather see a minimum speed difference between cars overtaking of at least 15kph rather than cars running alongside each other with a walking pace speed difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

LordSutch wrote: »
    I guess we haven't had motorways here for very long, so I guess many drivers are still grappling with how to conduct themselves Vis-à-vis which lane to drive in.

The N7 "dual carrageway" dates from the 1960's, this "undertaking" malarky happened back then. I'm guessing that only a "Judge Dread" solution will finally clear this up.

Look at me with my "finger quotes" :)

Advertisement