Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get outta my lane.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

.... or am I missing something?
    Indeed you are. The speed limit is a different issue. The overtaking lane is for overtaking - NOT for assorted assholes and cunts who feel the need to police the speed limit themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Seachmall wrote: »
    Are you entitled to break the speed limit if you're overtaking or in the right lane?

Genuine question, it seems redundant to me to overtake someone who's driving at the limit only to have to revert to the limit after overtaking. I also don't see the point in enforcing a speed limit if you can bypass it by simply driving in a different lane.

No but neither are you entitled to continously drive in it. That is just as illegal.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

No but neither are you entitled to continously drive in it. That is just as illegal.
    So people are angry that people are breaking the law because it impedes their ability to break the law?

I don't get people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Does this include people who stick to the speed limits?

Are these the same people who stick in the outside lane at the limit, blocking everyone?

So people are angry that people are breaking the law because it impedes their ability to break the law?

I don't get people.
    Nah, we're angry because people are being jerks and blocking us for no good reason*.

*a commonly cited reason for being a jerk is "we're driving at the speed limit; you can't speed it's illegal". People are simply pointing out that that's also illegal and stupid.

• Advertisement

I don't get people.

Not at all. its usually pretty impossible for everyone to do the exact same speed anyway. sometimes someone might be doing 5k below the limit and you want to do the limit. But this person is driving in the overtaking lane for no reason.

Gmol wrote: »
    I always drive the speed limit in the fast lane, I don't see the need to pull into the slow lane even if there are no cars there

There is no fast/slow lane. It is an overtaking lane.

All you're doing is being an ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I don't get people.

read my posts Ive explained why, someone else has also linked to the actual rules of the road too after me [oldgoat]

Zulu wrote: »
    Nah, we're angry because people are being jerks and blocking us for no good reason*.

*a commonly cited reason for being a jerk is "we're driving at the speed limit; you can't speed it's illegal". People are simply pointing out that that's also illegal and stupid.

I get that. But someone driving at the limit is only blocking people who are attempting to break the limit.

AH constantly whinges about people having unwarranted sense of entitlements. Now everyone is complaining that people breaking the law are wrong because they impede their ability to break the law.

It's both hilarious and absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,634 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Are you entitled to break the speed limit if you're overtaking or in the right lane?

Genuine question, it seems redundant to me to overtake someone who's driving at the limit only to have to revert to the limit after overtaking. I also don't see the point in enforcing a speed limit if you can bypass it by simply driving in a different lane.
    No, not entitled to but there will be people who will be driving over the speed limit. You are causing a bottleneck. Getting out of their way is the safer option for you.
    It's not up to you to control how others are driving but it is up to you to keep left.

If it were safe to drive as you suggest then I'm pretty sure the police would not be introducing the fines and points as mentioned in the OP.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement

I don't get people.

Are you the police? Its not your duty, nor right to enforce the law.

If i wish to break the law, then that's my business. Its hardly right to break the law yourself to try stop me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I get that. But someone driving at the limit is only blocking people who are attempting to break the limit.

Or emergency services, people in their own cars in an emergency, etc.
    You don't own the road. It doesn't matter who you're blocking, get out of the way and drive properly.
    Breaking the law because you want to play at being a guard?

AH constantly whinges about people having unwarranted sense of entitlements. Now everyone is complaining that people breaking the law are wrong because they impede their ability to break the law.

Forget for a minute about speed limits. This issue is exactly the same issue that happens with roundabouts. People have no idea what lane to be in taking a roundabout or how to indicate. This is about proper road usage. The issue of the speed limit is irelevant as it wouldn't even be an issue if people drove in the correct lane in the first place and not have this high an mighty idea of themselves as policers of the road.

Of course you are working off the wholly incorrect assertion that all cars are equipped with completely accurate speedometers. Which is bollix.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Getting out of their way is the safer option for you.

I'm don't disagree. In the moment it's definitely smarter and safer to let them be but the idea that it's wrong not because it's simply against the rules of the road but because it blocks other drivers who are also breaking the rules of the road just reeks of WTF.

For what it's worth I attempt to avoid being an ass on the roads regardless of who's right or wrong, but I just can't get over how people complain about others who are impeding on their ability to break the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I think it's fine to be holding up people in the overtaking lane as long as you are travelling at a speed quicker than those in the lane to left of you. There is no stipulation there, but if you aren't overtaking you need to get out of that lane.

I'm don't disagree. In the moment it's definitely smarter and safer to let them be but the idea that it's wrong not because it's simply against the rules of the road but because it blocks other drivers who are also breaking the rules of the road just reeks of WTF.

For what it's worth I attempt to avoid being an ass on the roads regardless of who's right or wrong, but I just can't get over how people complain about others who are impeding on their ability to break the law.

You are impeding the possibility that I may break the law and that my friend is unfair. ;)

ill give you a three for persistence, still crap though

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Patch123

Not necessarily though. Aside from anthing else, speedometers are inaccurate. Your 120km/h might be my 115km/h. The simplest thing is to just get out of the way. If you see someone driving too fast report them to traffic watch or whatever.

Edit: Beaten to the punch by zulu, it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

I've often been held up by people doing 80kph or less in the overtaking lane, so I wouldn't assume that just because someone is looking to overtake that they're speeding, also there can be a large variance in the speed according to your speedo and the speed according to their speedo so to assuming someone is speeding just because your speedo says you're doing the limit is not necessarily correct. Either way the overtaking lane is not for driving in, it's for overtaking in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭padraig.od

I always drive the speed limit in the fast lane, I don't see the need to pull into the slow lane even if there are no cars there

**** you

IM0 wrote: »
    ill give you a three for persistence, still crap though

It's not crap.

The idea that the blocker is somehow more in the wrong is absolutely hilarious.

They only become a danger when others insist on breaking the law. The idea that these others are more right is blatant lunacy.

They're the ones who take a harmless situation (someone driving at the limit in the wrong lane) and turn it into a dangerous one.
    Viper_JB wrote: »
    I've often been held up by people doing 80kph or less in the overtaking lane, so I wouldn't assume that just because someone is looking to overtake that they're speeding, also there can be a large variance in the speed according to your speedo and the speed according to their speedo so to assuming someone is speeding just because your speedo says you're doing the limit is not necessarily correct. Either way the overtaking lane is not for driving in, it's for overtaking in.
    I get that, I'm just starting with the assumption that they are driving at the limit.

It was spurred by this comment/troll/joke

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'd hate to think this would be allowed here.

The only reason for spending €1 bn upgrading the M50 to three lanes was so I'd have my own private lane on the left and the idiots could fight over the other two.

Seriously does anyone have any stats on lane occupancy on the M50 or N7 or N4 to prove just how much of the billions the NRA have spent on roads has been completely pissed away because morons are still allowed to hog the middle lane ? (Bonus points for Taxi drivers on the N4 travelling at 10Km under the limit with TWO empty lanes to their left)

If there was any intention of increasing capacity by the addition of the third lanes then they would have enforced the keep left rules long ago. :mad:

Penalty Points
    Failure to drive on the left-hand side of the road 1 3 €60 €90
    Driving without reasonable consideration 2 4 €80 €120
    Driver found to be driving carelessly 5 Court Fine

In Oz it's up to $1,000 for not Keep Left Unless Overtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,634 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

If we were only talking people driving at the top speed allowed you might have a point on the irony of it all but how often have you come across drivers in the overtaking lanes unecessarly who are driving below the speed limit? And other road users who don't realise that undertaking IS an option in this case just queue up behind causing a block of traffic.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

It's not crap.

They only become a danger when others insist on breaking the law. The idea that these others are more right is blatant lunacy.

They're the ones who take a harmless situation (someone driving at the limit in the wrong lane) and turn it into a dangerous one.

I get that, I'm just starting with the assumption that they are driving at the limit.

It was spurred by this comment/troll/joke

you are a **** driver if you drive like you have been argueing, that is not an insult but a fact and ILLEGAL ;)

It's not crap.

Oh dear. You have it all arseways. You are going to end up with either three cars side by side on a motorway with no where for any of them to go if something happens or two empty lanes and some clown in the overtaking lane. Thats a bloody nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

so if i am in lane 1 doing 110 kmph and the person in lane 2 is doing 95 kmph i am not allowed pass them on the left? i do this all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

It can't happen quick enough here, I find myself undertaking as much as overtaking these days.

Yes!

I'm so glad I don't have to drive every day to work any more, because I think I'd give myself an ulcer with all the road rage.

Irish people have NO idea how to use a 3-lane motorway. It seems that the vast majority of people think that the middle lane is the default lane to be driving in. It drives me absolutely crazy. Every time I'm on the M50, there are huge stretches of road in which the left hand lane is empty, and the middle and right hand lanes are full. It causes other cars to weave in and out of lanes, and undertake, which is so dangerous. It's not something I would do but I can understand why people do it.

so if i am in lane 1 doing 110 kmph and the person in lane 2 is doing 95 kmph i am not allowed pass them on the left? i do this all the time.

no that is undertaking which is not allowed, the only time you are allowed to pass on the left is when you are undertaking a car indicating to turn right coming up to a junction

• Advertisement

IM0 wrote: »
    no that is undertaking which is not allowed, the only time you are allowed to pass on the left is when you are undertaking a car indicating to turn right coming up to a junction

Thats not true. As OldGoat pointed out from the rules of the road

Overtake only on the right, unless traffic is travelling in slow moving queues and the traffic queue on your right is travelling more slowly than you are.

Advertisement