Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dad wears nazi uniform for child custody case!

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Does anyone know the name of the judge ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

conorhal wrote: »
    Regardless of the lack of impartiality on the part of social services, you can't leave children in the care of a nutter that's more juvenile then a child.
    Decides who? If fifty years ago a, religiously run, social welfare system decided that you should have your children taken off you because you wanted to raise them as atheists, would you agree with them? After all, in Ireland, an atheist would have been seen akin to a nutter too.

Or shall we go back to the Magdalene Laundries where infants were forcibly adopted rather than being left to grow up with morally corrupt mothers?

The problem I have with the old "won't someone think of the children" appeal to emotion is that it is used as an excuse to negate the rights of one person using the excuse that the rights of another are paramount.

There is a balance between the rights of the children and the rights of the parents for a reason; they're both people. This is why such actions are only taken in more extreme circumstances and why in this case they're being taken officially not because he's a Nazi, but because of allegations of physical abuse.

You may not like this guy or his politics, but at the end of the day the damage that is done by trampling his rights using such excuses have far greater implications than this case.
    Most parents will fuk up their kids in one way or another, but few deliberately set out to do so.
    What on Earth makes you think this guy is? I've no doubt he genuinely believes that he's doing what's best for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Does anyone know the name of the judge ?

Judy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

" every girl's crazy bout a sharp dressed man "

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Festy wrote: »
    Judy
    What could possibly go wrong ?

Sheindlin was born Judith Susan Blum on October 21, 1942, in Brooklyn, New York to Jewish parents, Murray Blum, a dentist, and Ethel Silverman. Her paternal grandfather, Jacob Blum, immigrated to the United States from the Ukraine, while her paternal grandmother, Lena Mininberg, emigrated from Russia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Children's rights might sound benevolent with rainbow and fluffy teddies and judges having snuggles with the kids, but it doesnt mean anything else other than what the so called expert in the room happens to think it means. You could have one birkenstock wearing vegan social worker saying these kids have the right to not be raised by Nazi parents and another expert saying they have a right to a relationship with both parents.

in reality children do not have rights. Parents do and that is only to the extent the state honors those rights.

Theres alot of crackpot raising kids, vegans, faith healers, Jehovah's witnesses, fundamentalists, etc. You have to think of precedent too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

I see nothing wrong with concern for a child being raised by an extremist of any kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

I see nothing wrong with concern for a child being raised by an extremist of any kind.

An extremist could be anybody with an opinion that is not approved by the state. Who decides who an extremist is? Somebody who has concerns about vaccines could be labeled as an extremist. Somebody who doesn't agree with gay marriage could be labeled as an extremist. Somebody who wants to live off grid and home school their children could be labeled as an extremist.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It probably should be pointed out that the kids were taken from him because of allegations of abuse, supposedly, not because of his Nazi beliefs.

I do think that is the most important point that is being missed.

State authorities rarely bring kids into care without damn good reason, yep, they make mistakes, but when you see and read of cases that they deal in, I couldn't even imagine their jobs.

The Irish authorities printed a report showing cases they do deal with, and yep it might be "will somebody think of the children", but something like that is needed to focus minds.

When I see a poor pup treated badly, I do think of the other puppies that might get mistreated, I don't think of the poor misunderstood dog owner, if that makes me a "think of the children type, sobeit".

In this case, give him the kids back, but under mandatory and 24 hr. supervision.

The authorities here are very aware of civil rights, they don't go in lightly. For me, they probably get far more wrong and not go in.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

An extremist could be anybody with an opinion that is not approved by the state. Who decides who an extremist is? Somebody who has concerns about vaccines could be labeled as an extremist. Somebody who doesn't agree with gay marriage could be labeled as an extremist. Somebody who wants to live off grid and home school their children could be labeled as an extremist.
    We all know well what an extremist is when it comes to political/religious extremism - advocating genocide, advocating the superiority of one race over the other. Someone else said any parent plants hatred into their child's heads. Yes, because my dad's hatred of hippies is really the same as me having a dad who wants all Jews killed and encourages intimidation of them. :pac:
    Pretty safe bet that a man who has a nazi uniform is going to be an extremist in the obvious sense of the word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

K-9 wrote: »
    I do think that is the most important point that is being missed.

State authorities rarely bring kids into care without damn good reason, yep, they make mistakes, but when you see and read of cases that they deal in, I couldn't even imagine their jobs.

The Irish authorities printed a report showing cases they do deal with, and yep it might be "will somebody think of the children", but something like that is needed to focus minds.

When I see a poor pup treated badly, I do think of the other puppies that might get mistreated, I don't think of the poor misunderstood dog owner, if that makes me a "think of the children type, sobeit".

In this case, give him the kids back, but under mandatory and 24 hr. supervision.

The authorities here are very aware of civil rights, they don't go in lightly. For me, they probably get far more wrong and not go in.

This guy's story has been around for years. Here is more context behind why the children were removed:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/parents-cannot-regain-custody-children-nazi-inspired/story?id=11334970#.Ua_pS0DVDgc

"The New Jersey parents who gave their children Nazi-inspired names including Adolf Hitler lost custody after a state appeals court ruled that a history of domestic violence puts the children at risk of abuse and neglect.

Court documents show that the oldest child frequently threatens to kill people and the mother once slipped a note to a neighbor saying she was terrified of her husband because he said he would kill her."

"A neighbor turned over a handwritten note signed by Deborah Campbell, who dropped out of the 10th grade, that accused her husband of trying to kill her and expressed fear for her children's safety. The note, replete with spelling errors, said, "Hes thrend to have me killed or kill me himself hes alread tried it a few times. Im scare to leave b/c I will be killed. Im afread that he might hurt my children if they are keeped in his care... He's already stabed me with a screwdriver in the hand... He teaches my son how to kill someone at the age of 3."

Asked about the letter during court custody proceedings, Deborah Campbell admitted that she wrote it but testified it was all a lie. She described her husband as "a perfect guy."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

We all know damn well what an extremist is when it comes to political/religious extremism - advocating genocide, advocating the superiority of one race over the other.

We don't all damn well know what an extremist is though. We all know now what your definition of an extremist is, and the examples of extremism you've written about will be accepted by virtually everybody I'd imagine, but other people may find that definition limited.

In my opinion, somebody who argues that gay marriage is wrong because religion tells us that it wrong is an extremist. Somebody who argues that the earth is less than 10,000 years old because the bible says so is an extremist.

Should those people have their kids taken from them, or have limited access to visitation, because of their extreme beliefs?

EDIT: to point out that I know this case is actually about him being abusive, not about his beliefs, but people on here are arguing that his beliefs alone are enough to make them want him to lose visitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

This isn't a story about a guy with extreme beliefs. This is a story about a guy who has extremely violent tendencies who has his wife so terrified that she had to write a note begging a neighbor to intervene. If the wife chooses to remain, that is her choice, but the State cannot allow for those children to live in that type of environment.

Advertisement